Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

I tried to look up a video of stag beetles doing sick suplexes on other stag beetles, but a bunch of videos of beetles owning huge spiders came up and as most of you know I am 200% not about that life. So you will have to look it up on your own, but trust me it's great.

:hfive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwH7XxdK8NA

Now I know where Pokemon came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hell fuckin' yeah! Look at that little badass go!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

you get the dash in chill penguin's stage. it's one of the weirdest quirks of x's design and the series never does it again

This is the one reason I could never consider X a perfect game. How are you supposed to know that

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Looper posted:

This is the one reason I could never consider X a perfect game. How are you supposed to know that

My mark of a perfect game is one that's fun the first time and becomes more fun with each additional playthrough. MMX fits that description. As does Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, and Link to the Past. The SNES has more perfect games than any other video game machine.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

crazy that super metroid and link to the past are perfect games when they aren't even the best games in their series. nintendo, does it again

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Looper posted:

Have Nintendo Power, duh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

crazy that super metroid and link to the past are perfect games when they aren't even the best games in their series. nintendo, does it again

Lttp is the best Zelda gently caress u

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I really like the metroid style games. I am looking forward to my 2017 year of gaming. It's going to be fun sticking to my Themed Months :D

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Lttp is the best Zelda gently caress u

hmm

ahhh

yes

here it is

:peanut::shopkeeper::horse:a zelda list:horse::shopkeeper::peanut:

majora's mask
link's awakening/wind waker (tie)
twilight princess
the rest

oh. i feel it. i feel the metroid !!

fusion
zero mission/metroid 2 remake (tie)

the rest

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Twilight Princess is suprisingly high

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't love it but i would play it again

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

oddium posted:

i don't love it but i would play it again

It's a good Zelda as well as my personal fave.

E: thank you for including it on your list.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

This is a youtube hole I can fall into for like a week, holy poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We truly have reached the darkest timeline if it's okay for people to say Twilight Princess is their favourite.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sakurazuka posted:

We truly have reached the darkest timeline if it's okay for people to say Twilight Princess is their favourite.

Twilight Princess was my favorite on the first playthrough. Then I tried to play it again a few years later and was all ":catstare:"

So I guess my real favorite is either Wind Waker or LttP.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Twilight Princess is good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel that top to bottom my favorite Zelda is actually Link's Awakening. It has square-for-square the best overworld IMO to explore with the most personality, the dungeons are well designed, the items are all very neat, and it definitely features one of the stronger plots in the series. The only reason I would probably say Link to the Past is the better game is that the the constant messages you get from bumping into rocks and such are super annoying and in general I just wish it could have dedicated buttons for grab/dash like LttP. Not much you can do about that with the number of buttons on a Game Boy, though.

I found Twilight Princess thoroughly mediocre when I played it in 2006 but I do have the HD remake and have been meaning to give it another shot at some point.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

alright where is the Let It Die thread, we need to band together to brutalize the world

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

We're all waiting on you to make it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

please run the op here first, for peer review

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please do not troll our forums friends, the Let It Die thread is here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800474

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

You could say people reading the thread let it die, huh.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Apparently Dead Rising 4 is garbage. Really wish Capcom would remember how to make good games again.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Alright, not much there anyway. Guess I have to resign myself to getting superganked when I get that far since nobody is organizing anything

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Apparently Dead Rising 4 is garbage. Really wish Capcom would remember how to make good games again.

Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter are still good (and resident evil hopefully)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Help Im Alive posted:

Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter are still good (and resident evil hopefully)

I'm reaaaaaally skeptical of the new RE. It feels like they're trying hard to cop the Silent Hills hype but I seriously doubt there's anyone at Capcom capable of even approaching PT.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

PantsBandit posted:

Really? Cuz the reviews seem pretty positive. Granted almost all of them say "If you're a fan of the first Dead Rising you won't like this one but if you liked how 3 did things then come on in." so there's that caveat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if you liked good game, give this a wide berth. if you liked bad game though yeah come on in

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

In blind Mega Man gameplay you typically keep trying the stages until you beat one. Chill Penguin's stage is one of the easiest and you can't skip the capsule, which lies only halfway in.

Also I'm pretty sure the original SNES manual says "Dash (requires armor upgrade)" or somesuch on the controls page but I could be misremembering that.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh wow I just accidentally saw what the ending to Dead Rising 4 is in the main thread hats off to you Capcom Vancouver.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Help Im Alive posted:

Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter are still good

I can't believe they're doing a Phoenix Wright/MonHun crossover

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Frank's back, baby

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TP would be pretty good if getting to the first three dungeons wasn't utterly miserable. Even after that you get tossed into another wolf bit before heading to Arbiter's.

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 5, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

here's the headline of my dead rising 4 review: I've Covered Bores, You Know

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you'll allow me, I'd like to gush a bit about someone doing something real great in the games industry right now.

If you've not encountered Danny O'Dwyer before(a lot of folks know him through Giant Bomb where he did a lot of guest appearances), he used to work at Gamespot, and did some really well-done, well-produced short documentaries about games, game development, and such. The sort of thing that was way higher quality and deserved better than, well, Gamespot. He broke off a few months ago, leaving Gamespot and starting up a new thing called NoClip, where he's Patreon-funded and doing advertising-free documentaries about video games. He's already put out one about Rocket League, with well over an hour's worth of content total and lots of stuff talking to the devs themselves. The current one he's working on that is coming out in the next few weeks is about the new DOOM as well as ID Software and the history of the franchise. It's looking to be super good. Him and his buddy are real good at video production.

He's also been doing periodic vlogs about stuff and this one in particular about why he left Gamespot, the state of games journalism, and why he started NoClip is really heartfelt and a fantastic watch. Dude is so incredibly genuine and humble. Also, he's never played Ocarina of Time due to never owning an N64 as a kid, and has been doing a playthrough of it that is amazing because he literally knows nothing about the game somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKXCLPLX-XY

O'Carina of Time playlist, only a few episodes out but they're fun so long as you're patient with his lack of knowledge.

his NoClip channel with all the Rocket League videos on it

the DOOM documentary trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zdNr7AnWI&hd=1

and his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dannyodwyer

oddium posted:

Curious which ones you think are better than Super Metroid. I'm not saying any are BAD games(in regards to the 2D ones), but Fusion and Zero Mission imo while being perfectly fine and competent and fun, just haven't been as replayable to me as Super. Fusion is too hand-holdy and I am not a fan of Zero Mission's suitless section, plus they both don't have nearly as good atmosphere and music as Super.

quote:

:peanut::shopkeeper::horse:a zelda list:horse::shopkeeper::peanut:

majora's mask
link's awakening/wind waker (tie)
twilight princess
the rest

oh. i feel it. i feel the metroid !!

fusion
zero mission/metroid 2 remake (tie)

the rest
oh! oh...you poor thing

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love Danny O'Dwyer and NoClip, but MAN is he bad at Ocarina of Time. Hoo Boy. But bad in a mostly charming way. Even he got caught by that loving "Would you like me to repeat that?" owl.

E: I probably wouldn't pick it over Super Metroid in the end, but AM2R was great enough that I considered it at least.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 5, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this might be my favorite Danny moment, during one of the Giant Bomb Extra Life charity marathons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYwS0NbMUpM&hd=1

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

here's the headline of my dead rising 4 review: I've Covered Bores, You Know

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That really made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

This was a good weekend for gaming. Gifted my best friend her PS4 in advance of the holiday, solved the World's Hardest Trick in Lufia 2, and beat the first story campaign in Crypt of the Necrodancer (albeit with probably the most broken weapon setup ever, titanium bow with a +1 atk ring).

• Locked thread