Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

This is the logo of a popular Yugoslavian soup seasoning mix, Vegeta. It always throws me off when it appears somewhere.

Oh FFS. So that's where I saw it! It bugged me so much, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Goku soup seasoning is better btw.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Too bad you cant put it in the freeza

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Too bad you cant put it in the freeza

I've seen plenty of fanart that proves otherwise. :stare:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

steinrokkan posted:

This is the logo of a popular Yugoslavian soup seasoning mix, Vegeta. It always throws me off when it appears somewhere.

Cool. Why did it become a smilie?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The boringest answer is that someone thought it was funny and decided to throw 30 bucks at it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just don't get why its name is discourse

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Could be a pun on "vaginal discharge", which... makes sense.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do you like-a dis course? I think-a it's :discourse:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I think it's supposed to be how a stereotypical Italian chef says "this course".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Internet politics I guess? "The discourse" is used online to refer to political discussions.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

Internet politics I guess? "The discourse" is used online to refer to political discussions.

It's pretty much this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
tl;dr:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
What about :heritage:?

I get what it means (the combination of a confederate flags + KKK + name is not exactly subtle), but I wonder where it comes from and what spawned it. Was this something from D&D from the discussions about confederate flags on public buildings in Charleston etc.? Did somebody honestly argue about the rich, sophisticated white heritage of the South?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

I get what it means (the combination of a confederate flags + KKK + name is not exactly subtle), but I wonder where it comes from and what spawned it. Was this something from D&D from the discussions about confederate flags on public buildings in Charleston etc.? Did somebody honestly argue about the rich, sophisticated white heritage of the South?
And I want to know what's with the "heritage". Assume that I'm not American and have no idea whatsoever about American politics.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
heritage not hate is how southernors justify supporting the south

basically its saying that flying the confederate flag is how the south celebrates its heritage and that it isn't racist. it's complete bullshit

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

heritage not hate is how southernors justify supporting the south

basically its saying that flying the confederate flag is how the south celebrates its heritage and that it isn't racist. it's complete bullshit

Yeah this. The idea is "hey we aren't racist we just like the traditions of the south and that's the confederate battle flag (not the CSA so not racist) and it's a sign of our love of states rights and the attitude of rebellion also war of northern aggression"

It's bullshit because the battle flag was revived during the Civil Rights era as an explicit protest to desegregation, the CSA founded its constitution on requiring slavery (so no state's right to have no slavery) as did most of the seceding states, and the South precipitated the war by attacking Fort Sumpter and seceding after Lincoln's election, when Lincoln made speeches saying he was fine permitting slavery to continue if the union remained.

So basically the Civil War was always about slavery, the Confederate Flag was about slavery and anti-Civil Rights, and people continue to fly the flag of treasonous traitors and losers of the fight to establish if it was ok to own black people and try to disguise it under the mask of history and "heritage".

Hence why there's a Ku Klux Klan hood weeping on the Confederate Flag.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Met posted:

:rowdytrout: "Swimming in spunk"

Lowtax temporarily turned GBS into a thing based on the dog toy Rowdy Trout. In the Photoshop Phriday article you can see that "swimming with spunk" is something the packaging for the product says. The smiley shows someone slapping someone else with a trout because that's a thing you could do in mIRC. mIRC is an IRC client. IRC is an old protocol for Internet chat from back before everything was web-based.

Briefly covered in SAclopedia: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2579

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Good posts.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Oh FFS. So that's where I saw it! It bugged me so much, thanks!
Also possibly this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/pizza-box-art/4/

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

Lowtax temporarily turned GBS into a thing based on the dog toy Rowdy Trout. In the Photoshop Phriday article you can see that "swimming with spunk" is something the packaging for the product says. The smiley shows someone slapping someone else with a trout because that's a thing you could do in mIRC. mIRC is an IRC client. IRC is an old protocol for Internet chat from back before everything was web-based.

Briefly covered in SAclopedia: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2579

I'll tell the people in the SA irc channels that you called them old.

Seriously, IRC is still in mainstream use because it's stable and runs well. For instance twitch chat has an IRC backend.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Actually using an IRC client is incredibly for olds, lol

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'll tell the people in the SA irc channels that you called them old.

Seriously, IRC is still in mainstream use because it's stable and runs well. For instance twitch chat has an IRC backend.

I just said the protocol is old, it's from before HTTP right? It might still be used (I still use an IRC client sometimes for open source project support), but I figure that on any given day there are a million times more people running web browsers than there are running IRC clients, unless maybe it's popular in some third-world countries because it can be used on really old PCs or something? You know, I really think that if we discuss this any further it should be in the tech relics thread :v:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

devtesla posted:

Actually using an IRC client is incredibly for olds, lol

That's just fine, us SOPHISTICATED ON-LINE INTERNET USERS will keep using our SUPERIOR PROTOCOLS while Lady Liberty smiles upon us, you NO-GOOD WEB PUNKS can stick to your LATEST "GIZMO" (FAD).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hollow Talk posted:

Other people explained the concept but I'm pretty sure it's an older one. To go with :911: and the others.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Cloud Potato posted:

It's pretty much this.

It's this one

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought we had a lmao smilie?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Somfin posted:

That's just fine, us SOPHISTICATED ON-LINE INTERNET USERS will keep using our SUPERIOR PROTOCOLS while Lady Liberty smiles upon us, you NO-GOOD WEB PUNKS can stick to your LATEST "GIZMO" (FAD).

[crying_statue_of_liberty.png]

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RareAcumen posted:

I thought we had a lmao smilie?

The :lol: and :laffo: smilies will have to do :pram:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
:roflolmao: ?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
:lomarf:

not yet, i guess :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nope. I could've swore we had a lmbo smilie but I guess not.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

prefect posted:

:lomarf:

not yet, i guess :(

Never, Woodhouse. Never.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julias posted:

The :lol: and :laffo: smilies will have to do :pram:
Don't forget :cawg:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Cawg is underrated as an acronym

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
why is :same: a dead shark

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
It's an anime thing

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Annual Gift Panda posted:

It's an anime thing

Well you just ruined it for me.

Adbot