Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SSNeoman posted:

Muslim girl on a campus near mine got her car jacked by douchy frat guys. They harassed her, shouted TRUMP over and over, stole her bag which had her car keys and then took her car.

All part of our special snowflake daycare program

Anything happening to them or the frat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Defenestration posted:

nice bill of rights you have there. shame if something happened to it

By this logic, not quartering soldiers in peacetime is more important than prohibiting unreasonable searches and seizures, prohibiting double jeopardy, right to trial by jury, and states' rights.

In fact by this logic, you have to believe the founding fathers found states' rights to be very unimportant, as it was the last amendment in the Bill of Rights.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Defenestration posted:

right so try not to get them shot when they're off duty
And also stop shooting them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Anything happening to them or the frat?

They weren't part of a fraternity, I just called them that to describe the type. And afaik no :( The police are still searching for the perpetrators and the car.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Defenestration posted:

right so try not to get them shot when they're off duty

Also don't loving threaten to cut their son's throat and call them an ISIS bitch while they're off duty, jesus christ what is wrong with people

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

By this logic, not quartering soldiers in peacetime is more important than prohibiting unreasonable searches and seizures, prohibiting double jeopardy, right to trial by jury, and states' rights.

In fact by this logic, you have to believe the founding fathers found states' rights to be very unimportant, as it was the last amendment in the Bill of Rights.

That same logic means that the right to protest and stand on the US flag is more important than their right to guns. Don't think they thought that one through very well.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Uhh this was going in my next big post but let me just throw this up real quick. Someone brought a gun to "self-investigate" the pizzagate place

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9f793b6c9dc9

-----

there's a lot of terribleness here but also I wouldn't be dissing on germany for falling for Hitler right about now

pizzagate in the hooooouse

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Defenestration posted:

Uhh this was going in my next big post but let me just throw this up real quick. Someone brought a gun to "self-investigate" the pizzagate place

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9f793b6c9dc9

-----

there's a lot of terribleness here but also I wouldn't be dissing on germany for falling for Hitler right about now

pizzagate in the hooooouse

I gotta know: what is up with this #04a tag thing?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

18 Character Limit posted:

I gotta know: what is up with this #04a tag thing?

overpasses for america

https://www.facebook.com/OverpassesForAmerica2/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That quote loving owns

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Anyone Who Thinks Homosexuality Is Unnatural Clearly Hasn’t Watched My Neighbors Really Go At It

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Well, okay. Somehow thought it was a Fourth Amendment thing, but I am reassured I don't actually know that hive mind.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
This or the Right Wing Media thread seems like the place to post this.

Has anyone else run into this idea that liberals, democrats, or left leaning people give countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran a pass on having regressive policies towards women and homosexuals because of "cultural sensitivity" towards Islam or the Middle East? It's like Conservatives hear about the concept of trying accepting that other people in the world have different ways of doing things and then apply that towards all possible attributes of a culture.

It's a rather bizarre caricature and is usually followed with a question of "why don't feminists protest Saudi Arabia instead of the United States?" as if you can't work on local problems more effectively than problems in another country and culture.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The idea that you can only dislike or protest one thing at a time is really pervasive (or that if you're not focusing on THE VERY WORST THING at this moment you're wasting time) on both sides and is a way to cheapen the opponent's stance to make it seem a non-issue, because there's always worse out there.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

It's worth pointing out that the photo there is not of child brides. Ceremonies there have a rough equivalent of flower girls who dress in a fashion that I Western weddings is reserved for the bride.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SimonCat posted:

Has anyone else run into this idea that liberals, democrats, or left leaning people give countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran a pass on having regressive policies towards women and homosexuals because of "cultural sensitivity" towards Islam or the Middle East? It's like Conservatives hear about the concept of trying accepting that other people in the world have different ways of doing things and then apply that towards all possible attributes of a culture.

It's a rather bizarre caricature and is usually followed with a question of "why don't feminists protest Saudi Arabia instead of the United States?" as if you can't work on local problems more effectively than problems in another country and culture.

If you don't outright hate all muslims than that must mean you approve of everything they do. My dad is an extremely hard right winger and he's used that logic on me my whole life. Pretty much the worst.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I Greyhound posted:

It's worth pointing out that the photo there is not of child brides. Ceremonies there have a rough equivalent of flower girls who dress in a fashion that I Western weddings is reserved for the bride.

How often that exact photo has floated around and how many different countries is staggering. I'm sure it's "happened" in every country at this point if right wing forwards are to be believed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

silicone thrills posted:

If you don't outright hate all muslims than that must mean you approve of everything they do. My dad is an extremely hard right winger and he's used that logic on me my whole life. Pretty much the worst.

That's when you point to the Planned Parenthood shooter and say "guess we need to hate all Christians too"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

jivjov posted:

That's when you point to the Planned Parenthood shooter and say "guess we need to hate all Christians too"

No true scotsman argument is almost an immediate response. If you try to explain the same for Muslims then the Koran quotes come out. Quote the bible and then its "well no one follows that" and the circle goes round until its this lecturing shout.

I've talked to him about 5 times in the last 10 years. It's not worth the immediate depression that follows.

Although my one single success story is - when talking about gun restrictions if you point out that after 1994 OKC bombing - fertilizer got really hard to buy in bulk AND it put you on some serious lists and we haven't had a major fertilizer bombing since - magically he will just stop talking.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 5, 2016

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

I Greyhound posted:

I would also point out the similarities towards purity balls.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

The question also came up with the hypocrisy of the United States being cozy with Saudi Arabia, given the differences between the stated values of the Democratic party and the Wahhabism. This is actually a fairly complex issue of why we support such a repressive regime while ostensibly being a liberal democracy, but that's never the point. It's always, "liberals are horrible hypocrites, unlike us real manly men conservatives."

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

SimonCat posted:

Okay so let's start by saying that liberals obviously aren't a monolith and any "well liberals always X" statement will always be wrong by some degree. There are sectors of liberal thought where this is definitively true. Liberals in general are far more willing to attack Christianity based regressives than they are Islam based regressives. This phenomenon takes different forms ranging from ones that I think are pretty well justified, such as President Obama's refusal to use the term "Islamic Terrorism", to far less justified such as brushing off the Charlie Hebdo attacks because those cartoons are just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

These things are difficult to compare or study, but I don't think we see the left rush to defend Christianity when an abortion doctor is killed in the same way see it rush defend Islam in the aftermath of a terrorist attack. Furthermore, the left is remarkably willing to attack ex Muslims and reformist Muslims like Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Maajid Nawaz respectively.

Then you have incidents like this one happen with no outcry from the left, it's easy to feel like liberal thought just doesn't care about holding the Islamic world to the high standards of tolerance, consent, and self-ownership that we demand of our own society.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mr. Belding posted:

Okay so let's start by saying that liberals obviously aren't a monolith and any "well liberals always X" statement will always be wrong by some degree. There are sectors of liberal thought where this is definitively true. Liberals in general are far more willing to attack Christianity based regressives than they are Islam based regressives. This phenomenon takes different forms ranging from ones that I think are pretty well justified, such as President Obama's refusal to use the term "Islamic Terrorism", to far less justified such as brushing off the Charlie Hebdo attacks because those cartoons are just the straw that breaks the camel's back.

These things are difficult to compare or study, but I don't think we see the left rush to defend Christianity when an abortion doctor is killed in the same way see it rush defend Islam in the aftermath of a terrorist attack. Furthermore, the left is remarkably willing to attack ex Muslims and reformist Muslims like Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Maajid Nawaz respectively.

Then you have incidents like this one happen with no outcry from the left, it's easy to feel like liberal thought just doesn't care about holding the Islamic world to the high standards of tolerance, consent, and self-ownership that we demand of our own society.

That's because no one is proposing that we ban all Christians from entering the country, or at least ban people from entering from countries that are primarily Christian. Christianity and Islam are treated differently in this country, and since no one (especially no one on the right, which is made up primarily of Christians) would ever propose the idea that we need to really look hard at Christians, or ban Christianity, or force Christians to adopt American beliefs, there's no reason to defend Christianity in the same way Islam is defended.

We can hold those people accountable without attacking their religion. The man in that article you just posted is not bad because he is a Muslim, he is bad because he raped a 10 year old.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Jesus Christ, pizzagate has finally transitioned into the real world
Man Fires Rifle Inside D.C. Pizzeria, Cites Fictitious Conspiracy Theories

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Scruff McGruff posted:

Shouldn't they have a serious case for a defamation suit at this point?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

That's because no one is proposing that we ban all Christians from entering the country, or at least ban people from entering from countries that are primarily Christian. Christianity and Islam are treated differently in this country, and since no one (especially no one on the right, which is made up primarily of Christians) would ever propose the idea that we need to really look hard at Christians, or ban Christianity, or force Christians to adopt American beliefs, there's no reason to defend Christianity in the same way Islam is defended.

We can hold those people accountable without attacking their religion. The man in that article you just posted is not bad because he is a Muslim, he is bad because he raped a 10 year old.

Also too, it's not that I don't have issues with Islam. Some of it's treatment of women (as an example) is just as bad if not worse than conservative Christians, but it's not my culture. You can't really positively influence a culture from the outside by forcing their hand, and trying to do so is what leads to the radicalization of the middle east we have now (on a much larger scale but the principle works pretty similarly).

Fundie christians are an issue close to home I can possibly influence.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Scruff McGruff posted:

Just in case people circulating garbage info try to equivocate or dismiss this, both Flynn and son-of-Flynn have spread Pizzagate poo poo: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/incoming-national-security-advisers-son-spreads-fake-news-about-dc-pizza-shop-232181

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

DC Murderverse posted:

While all of this is a fairly reasonable "because" the because doesn't really matter. If the charge is that the left is slow to denounce the worst parts of Islam even you aren't saying that it isn't true. You are suggesting that there is a good reason to do so. I disagree. I understand that feelings get hurt when talking about religion, but Islam is as guilty as (if not more guilty than) Christianity of providing cover for misogyny, xenophobia, and other anti-egalitarian behavior and letting the religion off the hook because a large number of its adherents have undergone recent hardship is not helpful.

We need economic and immigration policy that helps the people undergoing hardship, but at the same time we have to demand that modern liberal values of democratic pluralism, equality, and self-ownership are not optional even when they conflict with previously held religious or cultural principles.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Belding posted:

While all of this is a fairly reasonable "because" the because doesn't really matter. If the charge is that the left is slow to denounce the worst parts of Islam even you aren't saying that it isn't true. You are suggesting that there is a good reason to do so. I disagree. I understand that feelings get hurt when talking about religion, but Islam is as guilty as (if not more guilty than) Christianity of providing cover for misogyny, xenophobia, and other anti-egalitarian behavior and letting the religion off the hook because a large number of its adherents have undergone recent hardship is not helpful.

We need economic and immigration policy that helps the people undergoing hardship, but at the same time we have to demand that modern liberal values of democratic pluralism, equality, and self-ownership are not optional even when they conflict with previously held religious or cultural principles.

So exactly what are you supposed to do? What does denouncing Islam and Christianity look like apart from saying "That's bad, don't do that"? Do you enact sanctions against countries if their predominate religion conflicts too much with your belief?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Muslim girl on a campus near mine got her car jacked by douchy frat guys. They harassed her, shouted TRUMP over and over, stole her bag which had her car keys and then took her car.

All part of our special snowflake daycare program

Is this an event that actually happened or another hoax?

Like this one.

Washington post posted:

A student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette fabricated a story that she was attacked and had her hijab rippped off, police said Thursday.

The attack was one of several reported in the wake of Donald Trump’s election victory.

In a press release Thursday afternoon, the Lafayette Police Department said that during the course of their investigation into the woman’s complaint, she “admitted that she fabricated the story about her physical attack as well as the removal of her hijab and wallet by two white males.

“This incident is no longer under investigation” by the department, the statement said.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LeJackal posted:

Like this one.

You know what's not a hoax?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Good point--better subject every victim who comes forward to the same sort of scrutiny shithead internet guys subject rape victims to, that will surely help people feel safe and protected!

(pro tip: believe people who say they were assaulted)

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

LeJackal posted:

Like this one.

Oh poo poo one person lied, hate crimes disproved forever.

The fact that this is the exact same article every fascist posts when confronted with the realities of post-election America indicates to me that hoaxes aren't the major problem.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

zegermans posted:

Oh poo poo one person lied, hate crimes disproved forever.

The fact that this is the exact same article every fascist posts when confronted with the realities of post-election America indicates to me that hoaxes aren't the major problem.

People who post fake news on a daily basis are very concerned about debunking hoaxes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

LeJackal posted:

Like this one.

1) I got an e-mail from my Campus' security administration about this
2) It's actually weaved into the article you're quoting

quote:

A Muslim student at San Diego State University was robbed and may have had her car stolen Wednesday by two men who made comments about President-elect Donald Trump and Muslims, according to police and university officials, who called the attack a hate crime.
Though the dipshit reporter tries to word it so that it sounds like the SDSU attack was also disproved, it wasn't.
3) Skepticism is healthy but use common sense too. Your post makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

3) Skepticism is healthy but use common sense too. Your post makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat.

It's lejackal. Put him on ignore and move on, thanks

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
House of interracial couple in Cincinnati vandalized with swastikas, cement in pipes :(

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I must've missed the inauguration; I could've sworn Obama was still president. :confused:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Defenestration posted:

It's lejackal. Put him on ignore and move on, thanks

There's some deep irony in a man scared enough to Pink Pistol it up being the first one doubting when someone claims a hate crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SimonCat posted:

"Liberals get mad at Donald Trump for talking about groping women, but Hillary Clinton took money from Saudi Arabia where they murder women for showing their ankles!" Yeah, that's a pretty common line.