Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

Week 6 Power Rankings
1. Raptors - In a week where so many teams were mediocre, they were really good.
2. Rockets - getting blown out by the Jazz is an ill portent but could be explained as a schedule loss.
3. Spurs - I'm not as down on them as Spurs fans are lately, still the Magic loss had to be hard to watch.
4. Clippers - In an up and down week, the Cavs win actually doesn't look that big anymore due to how the Cavs played this week but I still think it at least answers the question "can the Clippers beat good teams?"
5. Thunder - Feasting on the bad teams in the league, but they looked dead in the water last week and it's good that they bounced back.
6. Cavs - Car is on cruise control but Lebron is struggling to stay awake behind the wheel.
7. Warriors - No good wins but even I can't call them irrelevant.
[Irrelevant Section]
29. Sixers - The Earth itself decided to actively make sure they played one less basketball game this week.
30. Hawks - They looked very, very bad last week.

Lol i love you rick, and i like your approach of ranking each week separately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

chunkles posted:

Earl Watson reveals that he is a total loving square and pushes gateway drug theory in response to Steve Kerr's comments

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18199075/earl-watson-phoenix-suns-responds-steve-kerr-stance-marijuana-usage-cope-pain

Also, how did I miss Earl Watson becoming head coach of the Suns

I saw Earl and my mind auto-corrected to JR Smith and I was confused.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Panzeh posted:

I don't know why you guys have such a hardon for Bogut- he played 20mpg last year. He wasn't that important a player for them. They took him out of games all the time if they thought they could get away with it.

Also Zaza moves the ball pretty well.

He was the lone actual big guy with arms that blocked shots and he's a very good passer. They lost a lot of games in the playoffs once they started using him less so it's not that outlandish to think that he had a substantial impact. I hate his rear end but he was really good for that team, whos rear end I also hate

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

chunkles posted:

Earl Watson reveals that he is a total loving square and pushes gateway drug theory in response to Steve Kerr's comments

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18199075/earl-watson-phoenix-suns-responds-steve-kerr-stance-marijuana-usage-cope-pain

Also, how did I miss Earl Watson becoming head coach of the Suns

Lol yuck, its always alarming when someone actually names their chosen logical fallacy to begin their argument

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lockback posted:

They definitely played him situationally which is important, and the team was frequently able to build leads in those 20mpg he played. He wasn't the most important player by a long shot, but he gave them an option for a defensive identity when he was out there and it was part of what made the team able to hit those high defensive notes.

It's not just Bogut, they swapped out him, Ezeli, and Speights who all represented 48 minutes of play or about 20% of the teams total. Their defense was going to be something other than what they were.

Speights is defensively quite bad and Ezeli and Mcgee are very similar players.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
We're all just spectators in an Ish Smith world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3_e-N-2IxE&t=19s

edit:

New thing on The Ringer:

quote:

“We’re never going to have NFL-style parity in this league,” NBA commissioner Adam Silver said during the Finals, and he’s right. Standard deviation of both team record and net rating throughout the league show that the NBA’s “competitive balance” in 2016 is not significantly different than it has been over the last 10 seasons. But through December 4, there were 21 teams with a net rating between plus-five and minus-five, compared to an average of 17.6 teams over the last five seasons through that date. The league still has its handful of clear contenders, but every tier beneath the elites has improved, and most teams are still admirably fighting for legitimacy. The league feels healthier than it has in a long time, and it’s largely due to how robust the NBA’s middle class has become.

https://theringer.com/nba-middle-class-milwaukee-bucks-boston-celtics-4d9427a48a38#.24yx26m3c

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 5, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

I don't know why you guys have such a hardon for Bogut- he played 20mpg last year. He wasn't that important a player for them. They took him out of games all the time if they thought they could get away with it.

Also Zaza moves the ball pretty well.

yeah i don't know about the statistical specifics or anything like that, but i do know that several people, myself included, immediately predicted the warriors would lose the finals the second he went down and we were all right. there's something the eye test says about bogut that i think helped define his unsung role as facilitator.

bogut was a tremendous defender, pick setter, and decent passer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Panzeh posted:

Speights is defensively quite bad and Ezeli and Mcgee are very similar players.

While true, Speights wasn't very good defensively, but it does affect your defense having a whole new big rotation. McGee is averaging a whopping 7 minutes per game. He hasn't replaced poo poo yet.

As the frontcourt gets more time playing together their defense will improve, it's already happening. But when you give up all those guys it will definitely have an effect.

RaySmuckles posted:

yeah i don't know about the statistical specifics or anything like that, but i do know that several people, myself included, immediately predicted the warriors would lose the finals the second he went down and we were all right. there's something the eye test says about bogut that i think helped define his unsung role as facilitator.

bogut was a tremendous defender, pick setter, and decent passer.

This too, even if the minutes weren't huge he did do a lot of things uniquely well. I think the Warriors can simultaneously be just fine and also miss what Bogut did.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
1) fuckign count this what the hell DEATH TO REFS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzQS5XxkOs

2) I'd be willing to give Watson the benefit of the doubt overthere. He says a few times "I'm not a doctor". I don't think he's not talking about marijuana being inherently dangerous, he's talking about how dangerous it is for youth to get caught up in the criminal justice system.

Like here in NYC we still got the massive systemic policing policy problems that winds up with black kids arrested 7 times as often for low-level marijuana possession even though every statistic says white kids are far more frequent users. We got all sorts of crazy poo poo with straight-up immoral outcomes, like, you're living with your grandmother in public housing--you get caught a single joint, she knew nothing about it and she can lose her house. A friend of mine who works for a charity ( https://www.nyfoundling.org/ great program, basically they intervene with judges who are about to send some 13 year old off to a juvenile facility [with the associated heartless ~80% recidivism rate those programs produce] and instead get them and their parents into family counseling sessions) was telling me about a certain stretch of months where the entire Bronx PD managed to arrest exactly 1 white person for marijuana possession.

So yeah I read Watson's comments as less "I'm sure this devilweed is bad", and more like, be careful when you go around saying this is acceptable because it might be acceptable to you and everyone you know, but you aren't the police and people (who you might not be seeing because enforcement policies tend to be neighborhood-specific) still get pure hosed because of the drug, and you don't want to be encouraging risky behavior amongst a group which is already targeted and at-risk.

Anyhow weed owns but jail is real and the prison industrial complex is one of America's great ongoing sins, everyone stay safe out there.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I didn't even know that people were arguing whether or not Bogut would be missed. What the gently caress? He's a very good defender, rebounder and passer, who also happens to be a grandmaster rear end in a top hat with a honorary degree from Yale that celebrates his studies in the field of dirty as gently caress moving screens. I wish he was still on the team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

They definitely played him situationally which is important, and the team was frequently able to build leads in those 20mpg he played. He wasn't the most important player by a long shot, but he gave them an option for a defensive identity when he was out there and it was part of what made the team able to hit those high defensive notes.

It's not just Bogut, they swapped out him, Ezeli, and Speights who all represented 48 minutes of play or about 20% of the teams total. Their defense was going to be something other than what they were.

If Bogut doesn't get injured last year, the Warriors win that series. I am 100% confident in this statement.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Serge owning the Pistons on Reggies season debut brings me great joy

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Matt Barnes is currently wanted for questioning by the NYPD for choking out a woman in a nightclub

Nice job dickhead

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Matt Barnes is currently wanted for questioning by the NYPD for choking out a woman in a nightclub

Nice job dickhead

Matt Barnes might be a dickhead, but NYPD also has a long storied career of getting a hard-on going after black athletes in clubs so I am going to be cautious before casting a decision about this.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Matt Barnes might be a dickhead, but NYPD also has a long storied career of getting a hard-on going after black athletes in clubs so I am going to be cautious before casting a decision about this.

There's a video of him after the fight (which allegedly started cuz of the choke and involved a dude too) and DMC is in it yelling about how Matt really clocked the guy good so there's stupid poo poo going on at the very least

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cool Buff Man posted:

There's a video of him after the fight (which allegedly started cuz of the choke and involved a dude too) and DMC is in it yelling about how Matt really clocked the guy good so there's stupid poo poo going on at the very least

Boogie is also rubbing his knuckles talking about punching some dude.... lol Kings

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Might be a dickhead? MSG might've set Barnes off with a vocal "De-rek Fish-er" chant.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Matt Barnes drove about hour and a half, one way, to fight Derek Fisher

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The kind of one-way trip that looks suspicious on an itinerary.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Derek Fisher won the fight by not meeting him and going on vacation with his ex-wifes family instead

It's like Fisher took an offensive charge in real life

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Is Javale just not the same since his injury? Or did his defensive stats just look good because he was playing on a pretty good Denver team?

I know he was never amazing, but he looked like an average starter to me and now he's barely playing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Is Javale just not the same since his injury? Or did his defensive stats just look good because he was playing on a pretty good Denver team?

I know he was never amazing, but he looked like an average starter to me and now he's barely playing.

He's been playing more recently, but he's always been kind of a screwy player and I'd definitely be cautious on playing him if I were the Warriors.

RPM thinks he's ok defensively but a net negative offensively, which sounds about right. He hasn't played real minutes since 2012 so let's not pretend like it's incredible he's not getting major burn this year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

we talkin about this javale right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBuv26ZErI

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

JaVale couldn't get minutes over a 29 year old rookie by the end of last season. That was on a team that desperately needed rim protection. To really highlight it the Mavs did better with old Dirk playing defense at the center position.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Barnes and Boogie started a bender in Philly with the Henny and it just kept rolling into NYC

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/805812688613875712

Speculation? Late to the team bus? Told Hoiberg to go fly a kite?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It begins

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Probably called Hoiberg a six-word chain racial/sexual slur and walked out of practice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
oh no what will the Bulls do without Rondo on the court.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Dexo posted:

Probably have an exceptional +/-

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
efb ^

We couldn't bear to lose his ability.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dexo posted:

Every time they bench him, they become a watchable basketball team. It's like flipping a switch.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/805796179401441280

quote:

"Kobe had an aura around him when he was on the court; he intimidated all of us. I was inside a video game," DeRozan said. "I'd watched him growing up. I watched Kobe do everything. His shot. His footwork. How he works in the post. Everything growing up was Kobe. I tried to emulate the tough shots he took, his pump fake. There's nothing you can show me that Kobe has done on a court that I don't know about or have tried. I practice almost all of them."

:siren: :siren: :siren:

OLD SCHOOL BASKETBALL

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Libertine posted:

Probably called Hoiberg a six-word chain racial/sexual slur and walked out of practice.

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/805821643285209088

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/274296542888865792

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/288401271394824193

https://twitter.com/Talk_NBA_/status/570704236608151552

https://twitter.com/NESN/status/675465719371403264

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Remember when there were rumors of Rondo teaming up with Boogie.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Serge owning the Pistons on Reggies season debut brings me great joy

Thunder or ex-Thunder players are buoying a full 1/6th of the league's teams. Thunder fans can tune in regularly to watch their current or former stars square off.

welp, back to work, thunder up, oladipo is good now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow who could have seen this coming

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Was it Gar's boy Randy Brown? I bet it was Randy Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Thunder or ex-Thunder players are buoying a full 1/6th of the league's teams. Thunder fans can tune in regularly to watch their current or former stars square off.

welp, back to work, thunder up, oladipo is good now.

:getin:

• Locked thread