Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Which political party are we talking about again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

HannibalBarca posted:

"But [this was] probably not worth concentrating on" is a pretty succinct analysis of the Clinton campaign's messaging strategy, yeah.

Right, you can't convince people who have decided that racism isn't a dealbreaker to not vote for someone because they're racist.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Speaking as a Jew who is particularly touchy about antisemitism I actually don't get why people were mad at CNN for putting the "alt-right guy questions if Jews are human" headline in its crawl line

Like, their thesis in doing that was "look how loving far gone the alt-right is that this is something they are unashamed to talk about", they're not implicitly endorsing them by bringing it up. I want people talking about antisemitism in this country; I hate that everyone has been denying it's there for my whole life.

redneck nazgul posted:

once again, the democrats are going to define themselves by their opponent, and they're going to lose because the GOP gets to say "well, yeah, we have to undo eight years of OBAMA"

do you have any thoughts on trader joe's, steve?

Yeah every single incumbent Presidential election of my whole life has taught us the lesson that it's not loving enough to campaign on not being your opponent. The last time someone beat a Presidential incumbent was Clinton in 1992 and he was able to do that because his campaign message was better than GHWB's and he was orders of magnitude more charismatic too. We cannot be complacent. We need to run someone good.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Nameless_Steve posted:

Oh, no, Cory Booker! He likes the idea of charter schools and doesn't completely loving hate the banks, he might as well be a Republican!

Um "loving hating the banks" is actually an issue with widespread appeal that is also the morally correct position to take, so I would want that quality in a candidate for sure.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Completely loving hating the banks is my #1 most important issue and the reason I voted for Sanders in the primary

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

loquacius posted:

Completely loving hating the banks is my #1 most important issue and the reason I voted for Sanders in the primary

:same:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

Like, their thesis in doing that was "look how loving far gone the alt-right is that this is something they are unashamed to talk about", they're not implicitly endorsing them by bringing it up. I want people talking about antisemitism in this country; I hate that everyone has been denying it's there for my whole life.
I want them to address it and acknowledge it, but what I don't like them doing is framing it as if it was a "talking point" and trying to frame them neutrally and giving them hollywood vanity profiles; all the while they do anything but that for people advocating Good things, like protesting for higher wages or a useless pipeline that will actually drive up the price of oil in this country, painting them as rioters/undesirables instead.

it's honestly pretty loving suspect of the mainstream media and the reason why i won't be surprised once they start reporting mass executions as something completely sedate

basically eat the rich

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Also what is with people theorycrafting an 8 year Trump presidency? He won't run in 2020. You can tell he already doesn't want to be there.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Without a moral narrative the Democrats will continue to be crushed.

Cory Booker seems like a fun guy to hang around but he's got pretty much the same politics as the people who got clobbered this election.

Charter schools are one of the biggest current threats to our future and should be roundly demonized as such.

Serf
May 5, 2011

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Also what is with people theorycrafting an 8 year Trump presidency? He won't run in 2020. You can tell he already doesn't want to be there.

Trump absolutely will run in 2020, are you kidding me?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Serf posted:

Trump absolutely will run in 2020, are you kidding me?

A 74-year-old Trump who clearly didn't even want to be president will not go for a second term

Serf
May 5, 2011

A 74-year-old Trump who clearly didn't even want to be president will not go for a second term

The man has an ego roughly the size of Jupiter. He will not turn down the chance to continue being the most famous and talked-about person in the world.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

he wanted the title and authority, not the position nor responsibility

he'll run again if he's healthy enough and continues to have pence there to do all the actual work

Serf posted:

The man has an ego roughly the size of Jupiter. He will not turn down the chance to continue being the most famous and talked-about person in the world.

also this

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The only way Trump doesn't run in 2020 is if he gets impeached (unlikely) or cancels the elections (slightly more likely)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Trump doesn't want to do the actual job, but he wants to Be The President and have people call him Mr. President and have world leaders say "Congratulations, Mr. President" and have rallies with crowds cheering for their lovely lovely president.

He's so running in 2020. And he'll run again in 2024 and claim he was never the president and no one actually cares about the 22nd Amendment anyway, and there's a nonzero chance he'll get away with it.

Also, it is long past time to quit underestimating Donald Trump. He's a garbage person but he was not a garbage campaigner and the Clinton campaign's failure to take him seriously as a threat is one of the numerous mistakes they made.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

lmao at Dems that still don't see that we HAVE to hate banks to win. Plus it is the morally correct position to hate banks. The only people that want to protect bankers are the people being paid by bankers.

haven't any of these mother fuckers ever seen It's A Wonderful Life? Hating bankers is an American tradition and we have a responsibility to our forefathers and the American people to poo poo on bankers and the Republicans sure aren't going to do it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

comingafteryouall posted:

lmao at Dems that still don't see that we HAVE to hate banks to win. Plus it is the morally correct position to hate banks. The only people that want to protect bankers are the people being paid by bankers.

haven't any of these mother fuckers ever seen It's A Wonderful Life? Hating bankers is an American tradition and we have a responsibility to our forefathers and the American people to poo poo on bankers and the Republicans sure aren't going to do it.

I mean our next President campaigned successfully on hating the banks and wall street and all that. And he'll turn around and give them everything they want while his base eats it up because lol nothing matters.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Baloogan posted:

demographics r destiny

demographics are highly suggestive

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Things current bankers have done in American history that people remember:

-taken people's farms from them
-taken people's houses from them
-something about crashing the stock market
-denied black people loans because of their skin color

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We don't have to hate banks on principle. They're a necessary institution. But right now they have way too much loving political power and are using it to more efficiently rip off everyone else. The banks don't need to be literally burned to the ground, but they do need to be put back in their place. Wall Street has no political opposition right now and they're walking all over us. They require a counterbalance.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Serf posted:

I mean our next President campaigned successfully on hating the banks and wall street and all that. And he'll turn around and give them everything they want while his base eats it up because lol nothing matters.

yeah, and that is why Republicans suck and Dems should be campaigning on hating the banks and wall street and actually following through.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Things current bankers have done in American history that people remember:

-taken people's farms from them
-taken people's houses from them
-something about crashing the stock market
-denied black people loans because of their skin color

Also on an individual level, they steal poor people's money literally all the time via shady practices

loquacius posted:

We don't have to hate banks on principle. They're a necessary institution. But right now they have way too much loving political power and are using it to more efficiently rip off everyone else. The banks don't need to be literally burned to the ground, but they do need to be put back in their place. Wall Street has no political opposition right now and they're walking all over us. They require a counterbalance.

I think the concept of making money off the failure of customers and the poorest members of society is a cancer that needs to be excised, and unfortunately that cancer is at the very core of modern banking

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

yeah, and that is why Republicans suck and Dems should be campaigning on hating the banks and wall street and actually following through.

but how can cory booker hate the bankers when he himself is made of bankers? :smug:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

i very strongly dislike cory booker and i hope he doesn't run. i felt some glee when i heard cory booker was whining to people about not being vetted for vp by the hillary campaign. that said, the whole "ugh banks" thing is pretty new - since the 2008 collapse. no one gave a gently caress about banks in 2004 or 2000. finance was a great and lucrative career for your kid to get into, something they could brag about to their friends. politics are fluid, in 4 years we might be talking about the iran war a whole lot more than having a battle to the death about whether we should break up the banks or just regulate them really heavily.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I agree. We should be funding ourselves through grassroots movements and small personal donations on a grand scale. Convince people you'll fight for them and they'll pitch you lunch money. But we gotta start on a local level and get to work proving that we're not just talk.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Serf posted:

I agree. We should be funding ourselves through grassroots movements and small personal donations on a grand scale. Convince people you'll fight for them and they'll pitch you lunch money. But we gotta start on a local level and get to work proving that we're not just talk.

I mean look how much a certain primary candidate earned through small personal donations no salt

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We absolutely need more local-level game though, that's the reason our bench is so thin

Luckily Ellison knows this and will push it hard

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

we need somebody to take the position of BURN ALL BANKS NOW so we can get actual good controls passed after bankers are done making GBS threads and pissing themselves in terror

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

We don't have to hate banks on principle.

I hate them on interest

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
we should be starting from a position of "A noose from every lamppost on wall st" and then allow ourselves to get talked back to radical reforms on the power of the finance sector.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bushiz posted:

we should be starting from a position of "A noose from every lamppost on wall st" and then allow ourselves to get talked back to radical reforms on the power of the finance sector.

just wheel out a guillotine and give all your anti-bank speeches in front of it. don't bring it up, and refuse to acknowledge it's existence

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

theflyingexecutive posted:

I hate them on interest

A real good post

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Replace them with credit unions.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress me

http://nypost.com/2016/12/04/nancy-pelosi-i-dont-think-democrats-want-a-new-direction/

quote:

Pelosi was re-elected Democratic leader last week after a surprising challenge from Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan, who argued Dems must do more to speak to working-class voters in the Rust Belt and not just coastal liberal elites. Pelosi batted back the threat to her reign with a 134-63 win, and has since downplayed the dire straits for the Democratic Party as cyclical changes.

“Let me just put that in perspective,” Pelosi said. “When President Clinton was elected, Republicans came in big in the next election. When President Bush was president, we came in big in the subsequent election. When President Obama became president, the Republicans came in big in the next election.”

And losing the White House and control of Congress, she says, has a silver lining — because jobless DC Dems will go back to their home states to run for governor and state seats and build up the bench.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

She's not wrong on that last point. Also, Pelosi beating Tim Ryan is a good thing because Tim Ryan would be a republican in the late 90s, and Pelosi knows how to obstruct in a minority.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
On the one hand, I do think that Pelosi is a very effective legislator and exactly the sort of person we want marshaling the Dem caucus if Paul Ryan actually does try to essentially abolish the welfare state. On the other hand, gently caress me, it's incredibly tone-deaf and stupid to assume that Dem governors and Congressman are gonna sprout up and win elections in 2018 sui generis without the DNC putting in a LOT of work in the next 18 months

Serf
May 5, 2011

Two thoughts:

Past Performance is Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Results

and

Why would we want to be stuck in this tug-of-war where the Republicans dismantle things every 8 years and then we fix them for the 8 years after that?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dems only "came in big" during Bush after he spent six years nearly running the country into the ground, and only won the subsequent election because he actually did.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

This was my favorite poll finding of 2016: the 2% of Floridians who think Hillary is literally a demon and are voting for her.

(Also the 14% who believe she's an actual demon and are still not sure they can vote for Trump.)

You can't make me choose between baal'mammon and baal'zebub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

2% of florida: hail satan

• Locked thread