Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

If you'll allow me, I'd like to gush a bit about someone doing something real great in the games industry right now.

If you've not encountered Danny O'Dwyer before(a lot of folks know him through Giant Bomb where he did a lot of guest appearances), he used to work at Gamespot, and did some really well-done, well-produced short documentaries about games, game development, and such. The sort of thing that was way higher quality and deserved better than, well, Gamespot. He broke off a few months ago, leaving Gamespot and starting up a new thing called NoClip, where he's Patreon-funded and doing advertising-free documentaries about video games. He's already put out one about Rocket League, with well over an hour's worth of content total and lots of stuff talking to the devs themselves. The current one he's working on that is coming out in the next few weeks is about the new DOOM as well as ID Software and the history of the franchise. It's looking to be super good. Him and his buddy are real good at video production.

He's also been doing periodic vlogs about stuff and this one in particular about why he left Gamespot, the state of games journalism, and why he started NoClip is really heartfelt and a fantastic watch. Dude is so incredibly genuine and humble. Also, he's never played Ocarina of Time due to never owning an N64 as a kid, and has been doing a playthrough of it that is amazing because he literally knows nothing about the game somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKXCLPLX-XY

O'Carina of Time playlist, only a few episodes out but they're fun so long as you're patient with his lack of knowledge.

his NoClip channel with all the Rocket League videos on it

the DOOM documentary trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zdNr7AnWI&hd=1

and his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/dannyodwyer

Curious which ones you think are better than Super Metroid. I'm not saying any are BAD games(in regards to the 2D ones), but Fusion and Zero Mission imo while being perfectly fine and competent and fun, just haven't been as replayable to me as Super. Fusion is too hand-holdy and I am not a fan of Zero Mission's suitless section, plus they both don't have nearly as good atmosphere and music as Super.
oh! oh...you poor thing

Oh I wanted to watch his stuff once he started working, didn't know he had started releasing videos. He's basically the only, uh I guess you'd call it personality or whatever, who I actually really really like. Thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R0WvE8Wzec

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

WORDS THAT KILL

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I can't watch that, my hand just naturally cringes towards the x button

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't even understand that format of these things. Why is video-game centric media styled like talking head news bullshit. I can't stand to watch poo poo like that. It's like Fox News but about video games. So equally stupid, if less harmful.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Snak posted:

I don't even understand that format of these things. Why is video-game centric media styled like talking head news bullshit. I can't stand to watch poo poo like that. It's like Fox News but about video games. So equally stupid, if less harmful.

maybe you'd be more interested in the vr exclusive talk show about video games

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I will stick to this thread.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Snak posted:

It was formatted like an award show for normal media. Which might be appropriate for a widely respected century-old cultural institution like the Oscars, but not for a two-hour video game commercial.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I will review video games. Spoiler alert: I'm pretty easy going and like a lot of video games, so don't expect lots of criticisms.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

VideoGames posted:

I will review video games. Spoiler alert: I'm pretty easy going and like a lot of video games, so don't expect lots of criticisms.

I'll be like Ollie North and get my own show because my video games war crimes are a farce before my Strong Opinions About Smash Bros Players

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Where is this generation's George Wood to guide us through these troubled times?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VideoGames posted:

Here, I'll do this and save you the grunt work

The VideoGames Review of _______________

Games are fun!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

deadly_pudding posted:

I'll be like Ollie North and get my own show because my video games war crimes are a farce before my Strong Opinions About Smash Bros Players

I think you have failed to understand why Fox News gave him a tv show

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I spend a pathetic amount of time playing video games + can't think of anything less appealing than watching or listening to people talking about them

this thread doesn't count

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Looking at the Last Guardian reviews and ayup: it seems like it would've been better received if it came out back when it was announced.

I still want it, though. And the new FF game - but I can't swing a PS4 at the mo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doing pretty good on that Patreon (depending on how many people are involved). I really enjoyed Danny O'Dwyer's stuff over at GameSpot but I didn't see that he'd set up something new after he left and clearly it is going well. But now I get to watch more Danny O'Dwyer videos, so, cool.

When I say "depending on how many people are involved" I'm thinking of Easy Allies, which is pulling down $38k/month in Patreon money but there are so many people doing it that it can't really be anyone's full-time job except I think maybe Brandon Jones.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 5, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't understand any criticism that says Last Guardian "feels old". What does that mean

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In Training posted:

I don't understand any criticism that says Last Guardian "feels old". What does that mean
Who said that

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

In Training posted:

You can't loot bodies with dedicated buttons for "pick 1" and "pick all," no crafting system, no weapons mapped to D-Pad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Harrow posted:

Doing pretty good on that Patreon (depending on how many people are involved). I really enjoyed Danny O'Dwyer's stuff over at GameSpot but I didn't see that he'd set up something new after he left and clearly it is going well. But now I get to watch more Danny O'Dwyer videos, so, cool.

When I say "depending on how many people are involved" I'm thinking of Easy Allies, which is pulling down $38k/month in Patreon money but there are so many people doing it that it can't really be anyone's full-time job except I think maybe Brandon Jones.

I believe there's two or three people total with danny. And you have to keep in mind the patreon cut, as well as that a good chunk of that goes towards travel and lodging expenses since he does a lot of traveling to do these things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Who said that

Pretty much every review both positive and negative?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Nothing to do with TLG directly, but I'm playing the first Ratchet & Clank PS3 game (Tools of Destruction?) since that's supposedly one of the best ones and I can't help but feel that so many things about its mechanics, gimmicks/hooks, and gameplay decisions feel like a game that came out close to 10 years ago. There definitely is IMO a certain style to gamemaking from that era that is presumably present in TLG in some form that people are seemingly picking up playing it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I believe there's two or three people total with danny. And you have to keep in mind the patreon cut, as well as that a good chunk of that goes towards travel and lodging expenses since he does a lot of traveling to do these things.

Oh for sure, I'm sure that money is stretched pretty thin. Any good production is going to have a lot of costs involved beyond just paying the main presenter. With Easy Allies, $38k/month isn't as much money as it sounds like it is because there are like nine of them and it also has to cover things like traveling to conventions and expos and poo poo (plus the Patreon cut).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

VideoGames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1VTeXe3FnA

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can someone nail down exactly what makes games feel new that TLG is missing

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much every review both positive and negative?
That makes it a really difficult question to answer :effort:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can't be the movement because rockstar games and assassin's creed games are the same way and I've never seen anyone say they feel old. MGS5 and FF15 too.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i'd like to remind everyone that the avgn's first video was in 2004

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The complaints that I've read are just that the controls feel really janky in the way that people generally forgave for PS2 games but that feels outdated for a PS4 game. But I haven't actually played it myself so I have no idea how fair that criticism actually is.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

well it was meant for the ps3, so on the ps4 it's just... it's not um. imagine having a 20oz of mountain dew and pouring it into an empty 2 liter. it's a sad 2 liter isn't it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/05/the-last-guardian-straddles-the-line-between-feeling-old-and-feeling-timeless/

quote:

Gaming has changed a lot since the PlayStation 2. In 2016, variety in gaming is starting to feel like it means you can play a shooter with mechs, a shooter set during World War I, or a sci-fi version of that annual military shooter. In that environment, The Last Guardian’s gameplay feels out of place.

You spend most of the game trying to figure out what you must do to get both you and Trico past obstacles so you can get past the next set of obstacles. To do that, you’ll activate levers, move blocks, and climb up walls. But you’ll also need to give commands to Trico, who will jump, attack, and more when you ask him to do so.

On top of that foundation, Team Ico has built a quiet, deliberately paced adventure that doesn’t really feel like anything else you can play today — at least not as a triple-A, exclusive console game. The game isn’t really about combat (Trico does most of the fighting). It doesn’t have any hooks for microtransactions. It doesn’t have long, highly produced cutscenes to add a film-style narrative.

What it does have is clever puzzles, interesting characters, and a respect for the player. Team Ico built Trico and this world for you, and they just want to give you the room to explore all of that on your own. For me, that’s sweet relief from a busy year of gaming that has a lot of interesting experiences that play similarly to one another.

Well there's one explanation of what they think makes it feel old and they mostly sound like positives to me

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Really? Cuz the reviews seem pretty positive. Granted almost all of them say "If you're a fan of the first Dead Rising you won't like this one but if you liked how 3 did things then come on in." so there's that caveat.

I'm happy that after Devil may Cry Capcom is still resurrecting dead franchises to make fun games that utterly infuriate fans of the original because they're The Wrong Kind Of Fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/05/the-last-guardian-straddles-the-line-between-feeling-old-and-feeling-timeless/

Well there's one explanation of what they think makes it feel old and they mostly sound like positives to me

Fuckin lol.

yes, those all sound like positives.

...are there people that thought it was going to be about combat?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

I'm happy that after Devil may Cry Capcom is still resurrecting dead franchises to make fun games that utterly infuriate fans of the original because they're The Wrong Kind Of Fun.

Dead Rising is more of an undead franchise if you ask me

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

yes, those all sound like positives.
And for what it's worth the reviewer liked it that way so I dunno

Here's a different article that says the controls and camera feel old:

https://www.vg247.com/2016/12/05/the-last-guardian-review/

quote:

These problems feel compounded by the camera and controls, which are pure PS2 era. It’s another old-school element that I suspect some might enjoy, while others will find infuriating. The truth is the action in The Last Guardian is never fast enough or dramatic enough to get irate at the controls and camera, but they are slower than we’re used to in 2016. You will wonder why pressing a button at a certain point at a certain time does not do what it’s meant to do, and you’ll never be clear as to why it just didn’t work. The next time you do it, it will more than likely work. Is that acceptable to you? Certainly, there are worst crimes when we’ve played games this generation that have been all but broken and bugged on release.

That's why I asked who, big surprise, they have different reasons

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lets hang out posted:

Can someone nail down exactly what makes games feel new that TLG is missing
Radio towers that reveal the open world map

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CrashCat posted:

I mean, it sounds like that reviewer also holds the opinion that those are positives.

Really the only "it feels outdated" critique that has made sense to me has to do with the controls being janky, but having not played it, I have no idea. I think some people are really frustrated with Trico, too, either because the controls to tell him what to do are obtuse or because sometimes he just doesn't listen, which is realistic but can be frustrating when you want to play a game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it's just I've seen that specific line, that "the controls" feel outdated. Games came out 40 years ago with great controls and games came out two weeks ago with crappy ones, its a completely hollow criticism. I'm not defending Last Guardian one way or another, I haven't played it, it's just language that crops up a lot and means absolutely nothing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In Training posted:

Yeah it's just I've seen that specific line, that "the controls" feel outdated. Games came out 40 years ago with great controls and games came out two weeks ago with crappy ones, its a completely hollow criticism. I'm not defending Last Guardian one way or another, I haven't played it, it's just language that crops up a lot and means absolutely nothing.

Maybe it's less that the controls feel outdated (what buttons to press) and more like controlling the character feels old, as in the character seems to float or skate a bit too much along the environment, there's little consideration of momentum in character animation, etc.

But that's not necessarily an old vs. new thing either so who knows. The things that make moving around in AssCreed on PS3 look and feel realistic were also present in Mario 64 but don't show up in plenty of PS4 games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Neither DmC or DR3 were revivals? They were changes in direction for fairly popular series that failed to draw a wider audience like reboots are presumably meant to.

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 5, 2016

• Locked thread