Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

glynnenstein posted:

Father Pedro Arrupe's liberation theology held that you should change corrupt structures from within.

But I don't think he'd be cool if you made sure the Nazis killed only like 6 million innocent people instead of 8 million.

IDK I think those two million people might thank you quite a bit though.

I personally would not work for Trump's administration though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
All I wanted to say, originally, was that big headline maybe possibly shouldn't switch careers because the soon-to-be CinC is a probable nutjob. Someone who recognizes the potential problems with that, already knows what they're doing, and is wary of stupidity may be more helpful in offsetting an accidental outbreak of WWIII than someone who just got a new job and wants to push their career forward. Or maybe not. I don't know how any given person can change the algebra to avoid bad outcomes. I don't know him, I have no idea what he actually does/doesn't do (and I most likely do not need/want to know, for sanity's sake as much as OPSEC). I'm just paranoid about idiots with authority and deadly systems designed for rapid and decisive action, on a "hair trigger" as was mentioned.

And, now we're talking about nazis and such. But, this is interesting too, so why not?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

my kinda ape posted:

IDK I think those two million people might thank you quite a bit though.

And I think PA, SJ would say God wants you to be willing to sacrifice yourself to do good rather than do your nazi job juuuuust a little worse than you could have so that you can still be cool with Hitler but maybe think of yourself as not evil. I'm super an atheist but I think he'd have some point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best Nazi airmen: those who defected to Britain in shiny new planes.

The worst Nazi airmen: aces.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 5, 2016

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Platystemon posted:

The best Nazi airmen: those who defected to Britain in shiny new planes.

The worst Nazi airmen: aces.

How does Hess fit into that equation?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Slamburger posted:

Schindler was not at all an example of this sort of behavior. There is a chasm of difference between being a Nazi party member and using every ounce of your money and influence to actively save lives, and drafting a monstrous genocidal law that was tempered in such as way to not be as bad as it could be. You can compare the utility of the two actions and judge that Lösener's actions caused fewer deaths than Schindler saved but the whole point of this argument is against a utilitarian philosophy. If I was holding a match to burn a building down and then didn't do it and said "hey guys, I just saved 100 lives, what did YOU do today" that doesn't make me better than a firefighter that saved one person.

Schindler was absolutely an example of this. He was a member of the Nazi Party, he operated a factory using slave labor as part of the war effort, and he was pressured to use non-Jewish labor and chose not to do so. If he had simply allowed his Jewish labor force to be taken away and replaced with non-Jewish Poles would that have washed his hands of moral culpability? By acting to keep his laborers did it make him morally culpable for all of the Jewish laborers he could not save in the system he was a part of?

Lösener drafted the genocidal law in a substantially less genocidal way than it otherwise would have been drafted. He did this specifically to reduce the impact of this law, despite facing opposition to his efforts. The law would 100% have been drafted with or without him doing it. Had he left the country, said some mean words about Hitler, and in doing so allowed the law to be written such that another million people were subject to murder then perhaps he could have smugly declared himself a more moral guy?

As for your bad analogy: if there's a crowd of people standing behind you with their own matches intent on burning the building down for the purpose of killing everyone inside and you, as the appointed match-lighter manage to convince the crowd to let a bunch of people out before you light the match, yeah, you can say you saved lives.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 5, 2016

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Having been on the inside, I can tell you with certainty what will actually happen within the trenches of the U.S. civil service in response to this (or any) election - nothing whatsoever. The civil service has roughly the inertia of a tectonic plate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Slamburger posted:

Schindler was not at all an example of this sort of behavior. There is a chasm of difference between being a Nazi party member and using every ounce of your money and influence to actively save lives, and drafting a monstrous genocidal law that was tempered in such as way to not be as bad as it could be. You can compare the utility of the two actions and judge that Lösener's actions caused fewer deaths than Schindler saved but the whole point of this argument is against a utilitarian philosophy. If I was holding a match to burn a building down and then didn't do it and said "hey guys, I just saved 100 lives, what did YOU do today" that doesn't make me better than a firefighter that saved one person.

That's a very bad analogy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Captain von Trapp posted:

Having been on the inside, I can tell you with certainty what will actually happen within the trenches of the U.S. civil service in response to this (or any) election - nothing whatsoever. The civil service has roughly the inertia of a tectonic plate.

Indeed, the legislature and executive have no power over the civil service. Oh wait oops that's the opposite of reality.

The Department of Natural Resources in my state was just ordered to fire half their research scientists, because defunding the research division didn't work as the scientists secured grants from other agencies.

But no of course the civil service does not change.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
My wife is a civil servant working in the executive branch and I am extremely loving proud of the work she does trying to change whole systems to make them more accessible to the people. Her group is doing incredibly impactful stuff to try to make the Veterans Administration, for example, not be disastrously hard to get services from.

She and many of the people she works with who have to a person taken pay cuts to work on these things are in crisis trying to decide to stay and work from inside or not. My wife so far has decided to stay, but she has made a list of things her group could be asked to do which are automatic resignation for her. They include a Muslim registry, interment, or deportation, as examples.

If anyone is working in government right now, even (especially) in Defense Department, you should have a list like that. It might be required of you to put your humanity above your sworn duty in the coming administration.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
What the gently caress are you going on about? There is not going to be any of that and
If there was it would be dhs not dod. Stop being so sanctamonous. Reminder that the current potus straight up ordered the military to murder a us citizen in cold blood and they did it. Save your moral outrage for actual poo poo that actually happened.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Dearest Cyrano,

Why would a guy drop his his Lee-Enfield with a scope and pick up a Bren instead (52:30) to shoot a guy that was really far away? Or is it just "because movies"?

Love,
FZ

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Friar Zucchini posted:

Dearest Cyrano,

Why would a guy drop his his Lee-Enfield with a scope and pick up a Bren instead (52:30) to shoot a guy that was really far away? Or is it just "because movies"?

Love,
FZ

It would possibly make sense if the dude switched to a .50 cal (Carlos Hathcock used a scoped M2 in Vietnam) but the Bren fires the same cartridge as the Lee-Enfield soooo

Edit: I mean i'm not saying it would be plausible for someone to be casually carting around an M2 just in case they wanted to make a sick snypa shot, just it would make more sense than this

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 5, 2016

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Indeed, the legislature and executive have no power over the civil service. Oh wait oops that's the opposite of reality.

The Department of Natural Resources in my state was just ordered to fire half their research scientists, because defunding the research division didn't work as the scientists secured grants from other agencies.

But no of course the civil service does not change.

State government is not the federal civil service. If there's a measurable change in the federal employee attrition rate, it would be a first. It's not as if nobody has tried; Bush 43 tried a relatively modest civil service reform with congressional support, and it totally failed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Dearest Cyrano,

Love,
FZ

Yeah, I blinked a few times when I saw that as well. Unless someone comes out with a good source saying the dude actually did that for some reason I'm going to say "movies." Probably the same reason every sniper movie has a dude shooting another dude through the scope after seeing a glint in a bush: it's a sniper story everyone's heard so it works its way into the script. A writer probably heard about the M2 vietnam antics

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Command and Control, the PBS show is pretty good.

http://www.commandandcontrolfilm.com/

I have not read the book yet though.

It's crazy to think now, that we had 50 of what are basically suborbital rockets on standby 24/7 for years and somehow didn't gently caress it up (too badly).

e: it comes out on my birthday :toot:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Plinkey posted:

It's crazy to think now, that we had 50 of what are basically suborbital rockets on standby 24/7 for years and somehow didn't gently caress it up (too badly).

4 trillion dollars gets you things

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I blinked a few times when I saw that as well. Unless someone comes out with a good source saying the dude actually did that for some reason I'm going to say "movies." Probably the same reason every sniper movie has a dude shooting another dude through the scope after seeing a glint in a bush: it's a sniper story everyone's heard so it works its way into the script. A writer probably heard about the M2 vietnam antics

In general machine guns will usually have longer heavy barrels and a better design on how the barrel floats and the receiver/lock/etc.. design so they typically would perform better even with the same ammo. In the case of a Bren vs a designated sniper SMLE? Probably not. Same barrel length, same muzzle velocity but the sniper SMLE would have been selected out of the manufacturing process as having come out with the best tolerances through bench testing and optimization by a skilled armorer.

Throw in the scope and that it's the rifle the shooter would be the most familiar with and it doesn't make much sense.

After a year or two of heavy abuse in the field though? Hard to tell, maybe the Bren then just due to the sturdy design?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Different / better sights on one vs the other?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Bren fires from an open bolt when its firing full auto. Open bolt operation is decidedly not the best for accuracy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Plinkey posted:

Oh cool, I've been looking forward to that. The book is awesome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

4 trillion dollars gets you things

We'll see about that.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Godholio posted:

We'll see about that.

You know Spring has arrived when the F-35s finally bloom.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That Works posted:

Different / better sights on one vs the other?

Bren sights aren't exactly precision things. It's basically a peep and a post, with the peep on a ladder offset from the gun so you can see around the mag. I mean they're not horrible. I've never handled one but I'd guess they're about as good as the standard us peep found from the garand to m16. Compared to a properly sighted scope? Not even close.

The more I ponder it the more the only real advantage is the bipod, but I imagine a trained sniper would know how to brace his rifle so whatever.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I guess an another SU-33 crashed off the Russian Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov, meaning this has happened before, and not to be confused with the Mig-29 crash recently. I thought they had stopped operations, I guess they changed their minds?
https://www.rt.com/news/369209-admiral-kuznetsov-su-33/

Here is a cool 360 video of a SU-33 takeoff
https://theaviationist.com/2016/11/18/watch-a-russian-su-33-depart-from-kuznetsov-aircraft-carrier-in-cool-360-degree-4k-video/

I guess this thing has eaten a lot of planes
go to 2:05 in this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4szlRqk1Z4
go to 1:09 in this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqLe5ttSHo4

Some scary but no crashie.. but scary. This carrier hungers for vodka enriched blood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-8DFu-6sag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFavtMOXrOE

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

I guess an another SU-33 crashed off the Russian Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov, meaning this has happened before, and not to be confused with the Mig-29 crash recently. I thought they had stopped operations, I guess they changed their minds?
https://www.rt.com/news/369209-admiral-kuznetsov-su-33/

Here is a cool 360 video of a SU-33 takeoff
https://theaviationist.com/2016/11/18/watch-a-russian-su-33-depart-from-kuznetsov-aircraft-carrier-in-cool-360-degree-4k-video/

go to 2:05 in this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4szlRqk1Z4
go to 1:09 in this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqLe5ttSHo4

Some scary but no crashie.. but scary. This carrier hungers for vodka enriched blood

I think it's been 1 Mig-29K and 2 Su-33s so far (assuming this isn't the one that crashed on the 3rd).

Edit: Keep in mind it only sailed with 6 Su-33s and 4 Mig-29Ks, so that's a pretty big dent. Last I heard the remaining planes are parked on an airstrip now, which is kinda sad because that means they can take off with enough bombs to contribute to the terror bombing campaign.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 5, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1 posted:

Did the plane @ ~30sec in the second video take off with its wheel brakes applied? It left some hellacious skidmarks up the ramp.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Terrible Robot posted:

Did the plane @ ~30sec in the second video take off with its wheel brakes applied? It left some hellacious skidmarks up the ramp.

Little plane just trying to smoke as much a big mommy ship, adorable

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

B4Ctom1 posted:

Naval aviation is the hardest and most dangerous there is (at least since flight testing has become greatly safer and saner). The Russian Navy is the branch of the Russian armed forces that is suffering the most from lack of resources.

Maintaining carrier skills for pilots demands constant practice, and the Russians with a single carrier and not really any treaty ally with more carriers are in a lovely place to maintain them. The US has a lot of carriers so that when you have a few of them stuck in the dock for maintenance, no problem, the pilots can move to another and keep their skills sharp. France has only one carrier too (:() but thanks to being allies, when it's stuck in the dock the pilots can go to a US carrier. There's a lot of institutional knowledge and know-how that the west can keep and share thanks to the US' enormous carrier fleet; and Russia doesn't have that. They could try it with China, but there's not the same level of trust between China and Russia as there is between the USA and France, and in any case the Chinese are still kind of figuring how naval aviation works and they only have one operational carrier at the moment. So it wouldn't help.

Basically Russian naval aviation is going to remain a shameful deathtrap for a while.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Do they even have a good road to fix that problem?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Do our navy pilots get significantly more flight hours / year than Air Force since they have to still keep up on the same other skills PLUS keep up on carrier landing.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bren sights aren't exactly precision things. It's basically a peep and a post, with the peep on a ladder offset from the gun so you can see around the mag. I mean they're not horrible. I've never handled one but I'd guess they're about as good as the standard us peep found from the garand to m16. Compared to a properly sighted scope? Not even close.

The more I ponder it the more the only real advantage is the bipod, but I imagine a trained sniper would know how to brace his rifle so whatever.

Both the SMLE and Bren have the same rough effective range (~500m), but this assumes the bren is fired from the prone position with bipod (I haven't seen SoJ yet so I'm not sure if this was the case).

However the bren's barrel was specifically designed after the initial batch to have a wide spread, as the initial barrels were too accurate for the gun's purpose. So honestly it's probably just cinematic license.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Alaan posted:

Do our navy pilots get significantly more flight hours / year than Air Force since they have to still keep up on the same other skills PLUS keep up on carrier landing.

They should.

AFAIK, NATO recommendations for flight hours/year for combat pilots are as such:
  • 180 for helicopter pilots
  • 200 for land-based fighter pilots
  • 220 for carrier-based fighter pilots

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alaan posted:

No. And they don't rotate to different carriers as described, either. They get a bunch of practice before they deploy with their own ship.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fun in the Sun: British tabloid has opinions on the Royal Navy.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2234984/the-six-conflicts-that-could-scupper-the-royal-navys-tiny-fleet/

Can you guess what helicopter carrier they want?

:haw:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They need to have one helicopter carrying heavy cruiser to legally transit the Bosphorous on the way to surprise attack Sevastopol.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Both the SMLE and Bren have the same rough effective range (~500m), but this assumes the bren is fired from the prone position with bipod (I haven't seen SoJ yet so I'm not sure if this was the case).

However the bren's barrel was specifically designed after the initial batch to have a wide spread, as the initial barrels were too accurate for the gun's purpose. So honestly it's probably just cinematic license.

When I watched that the first time I assumed that he was going to do a burst or something to ensure he got his target, but as soon as he dropped the single round into it, I did a :what:
There really was no point (cinematic or otherwise) to do that.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cat Mattress posted:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2234984/the-six-conflicts-that-could-scupper-the-royal-navys-tiny-fleet/

fixed

I guess I should take out carriers?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

B4Ctom1 posted:

fixed

I guess I should take out carriers?

That's what Exocets are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

Laffo

Guys, maybe I dunno get the French to build you some carriers, they seem legit good at it

Also if we're talking Navy, look into getting more ASW aircraft, history says that's sorta important for you