Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Don Lapre posted:

Assuming all the plastics are gone you have a bad fan.

Is that something that generally gets worse over time or can I hold off on it? Its weird because it doesnt make that noise when under load or at 0 load. Just after I turn off a game and the speed starts lowering to 0. If it'll only be a noise problem, I can deal with it. I'm sorta tired of all the RMA silliness going on with my 970 having exploding capacitors three days ago. I just wanna play my computer for godsake

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Question about overclocking Nvidia cards: does it apply after reinstalling windows? I did that and for some reason my GTX 1080 is still trying to run at speeds like 1986 MHz according to Afterburner log, even though the core clock dial says +0. If I limit core clock speed to -50 MHz in afterburner, it limits properly at 1936MHz (max supported boost clock speed of the Asus Strix 1080).

Smol fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 4, 2016

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Dali Parton posted:

Is that something that generally gets worse over time or can I hold off on it? Its weird because it doesnt make that noise when under load or at 0 load. Just after I turn off a game and the speed starts lowering to 0. If it'll only be a noise problem, I can deal with it. I'm sorta tired of all the RMA silliness going on with my 970 having exploding capacitors three days ago. I just wanna play my computer for godsake

It'll get worse until it seizes up completely.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Smol posted:

Question about overclocking Nvidia cards: does it apply after reinstalling windows? I did that and for some reason my GTX 1080 is still trying to run at speeds like 1986 MHz according to Afterburner log, even though the core clock dial says +0. If I limit core clock speed to -50 MHz in afterburner, it limits properly at 1936MHz (max supported boost clock speed of the Asus Strix 1080).

Nvidia cards automatically overclock themselves, it's a feature and is supposed to work that way.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
With the newest Afterburner hit ctrl+f at the main window and you can see the real clock table. I think there's probably some license agreement with Nvidia preventing them from listing the actual clocks they flash to it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What gently caress mess?
Vega come soon :smith:

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Lube banjo posted:

HIS IceQ is best performance according to that link imo. After reading that german review I don't see how he came up with the "best card" being the red devil. It's like he didn't even read the charts he made. Red Devil ran the hottest, had worse performance and drew only ~10 watts less. Oh, well I guess it is the most quiet card, so there's that. But if you want to run the Nitro or the IceQ 7 degrees hotter I'm sure they will be quieter too.

e: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-12/radeon-rx-480-partnerkarten-vergleich-test/3/

I've never seen an HIS IceQ for sale in the U.S. but yeah it does look like it performs the best. XFX is decent as far as board partners go, at least they seem to be now. I've had two of their cards and they didn't die on me or anything. Do they have a reputation for being sketchy? To me a 480 is a good card if you can find one on sale. I got a good deal on mine so I'm happy with it but if I had found a 1060 6gb for the same price I would have picked that up since it edges it out and overclocks better.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Vega come soon :smith:

GloFo plz die

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GloFo plz die

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GloFo plz die

Soooooooooon, amd will be jumping ship soon and no one else is going to buy in.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Shipping my Zotac back to Newegg in the morning...

Compared to MSI, it felt a bit cheap on the build quality, and of course the problem with the fans. I have a couple of days to think about what other GTX 1060 (6GB) I'd want. Any names come to mind when it comes to build quality and customer service? I've only ever used MSI, but my experience was soured with the exploding capacitor on my other card and some physical defects in my MSI Radeon HD5870 in 2010.

Some google searches say EVGA has the better customer service, and ASUS has the better/quieter fans? XFX is apparently the fastest, although I feel that factory OC'ing is more of a marketing thing and less of benefit in real world application. Id like a 1060 with no coil whine, defective fans or exploding bits.

Also, whats the thread consensus on the small form factor cards? I have a SFF case, so smaller is always better, but I can fit a 11 inch card, but its really tight. Internet consensus says that SFF style cards are good if you don't plan on OC'ing, but they're generally much louder?

Help me goons. I wanna get off this wild ride.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GloFo plz die

Preferably in a dumpster fire. It's only just.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Dali Parton posted:

Compared to MSI, it felt a bit cheap on the build quality, and of course the problem with the fans. I have a couple of days to think about what other GTX 1060 (6GB) I'd want. Any names come to mind when it comes to build quality and customer service? I've only ever used MSI, but my experience was soured with the exploding capacitor on my other card and some physical defects in my MSI Radeon HD5870 in 2010.

Some google searches say EVGA has the better customer service, and ASUS has the better/quieter fans? XFX is apparently the fastest, although I feel that factory OC'ing is more of a marketing thing and less of benefit in real world application. Id like a 1060 with no coil whine, defective fans or exploding bits.

Also, whats the thread consensus on the small form factor cards? I have a SFF case, so smaller is always better, but I can fit a 11 inch card, but its really tight. Internet consensus says that SFF style cards are good if you don't plan on OC'ing, but they're generally much louder?

Xfx only make Radeons, not 1060s. From what I understand the 1060 isn't a hot card so paying extra for fancy coolers is a waste.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dali Parton posted:

I got the Zotac 1070 Mini for a SFF case. I was also considering the Gigabyte 1070 Mini. My concern was not so much the length of the cards, but the height; my 660 Ti was about 9.5" long, and I estimated I could go as long as 10.5", but only had an additional ~5 mm between the top of the card (mounted upside down on a riser) and the bottom of the case, and of course the power connectors are mounted along that edge so there needs to be space for the cables to stick out. I didn't need the super-short Gigabyte and in reviews it's explicitly mentioned as being taller than permitted within the PCI spec, so I went with the Zotac, which is also still much shorter than I need (like 8.5" I think.) It happened to be taller than my 660 Ti as well, and I just barely get it to fit in there with the power cables against the bottom of the case, but it works. The lesson here is that you really need to consider all of the dimensions in a SFF setup (I also have size limitations on the 3rd axis, because the fan side of the card only has a few mm between it and the case, and the PCB side is opposite the FSP 1U PSU.)

With that in mind, your card choice may be limited simply due to the dimensions rather than the brand. As far as noise goes on the Zotac, it ranges from silent to loud at full speed, although with headphones on while gaming I can't hear the fan at 100%, for what that's worth.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dali Parton posted:

The EVGA single fan 1060 is apparently fine. It turns off its fan at idle and is quiet under load too so you should not have noise issues. If you do have problems EVGA will have you covered very well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Assuming it doesn't catch on f-I'M KIDDING IT WAS JUST A JOKE PUT DOWN THE TASER.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The EVGA single fan 1060 is apparently fine. It turns off its fan at idle and is quiet under load too so you should not have noise issues. If you do have problems EVGA will have you covered very well.

The SC version of the 1060 has the 0 RPM mode. It costs about ten bucks more and is quieter, faster and looks nicer.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GloFo plz die
this, preferably before nuclear apocalypse caused by disagreements over the price of pomegranates

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

well why not posted:

The SC version of the 1060 has the 0 RPM mode. It costs about ten bucks more and is quieter, faster and looks nicer.

With a BIOS update that mode should be available. Be careful which version because the very latest version they turned that mode off after the overheating controversy

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
knowing AMD they'd move from glofo to umc

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised the new 1070 evga sent me can OC by an extra 30-40 MHz over my last one

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Only till 2020, only till 2020, only till 2020, only till 2020...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

well why not posted:

That's the one I was talking about.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's the one I was talking about.

Is that the full sized one? EVGA has like 10 versions of this card. I thought SC referred to "small card" or something but it means superclocked and then there's like, one above that that is supersuperclocked and then the FTW edition :rolleye:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dali Parton posted:

Is that the full sized one? EVGA has like 10 versions of this card. I thought SC referred to "small card" or something but it means superclocked and then there's like, one above that that is supersuperclocked and then the FTW edition :rolleye:

I'm talking about this one, single fan open cooler, short, SC edition. It's not going to be an OCers dream but it will get the job done and do it quietly.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
I just upgraded to the latest NVIDIA drivers for my 1070 and now I'm getting sudden PC restarts when I play titanfall. The performance is fine, but after about 10 minutes in game the PC shuts down and restarts without any warning. Prior to the upgrade this never happened. Anybody else having this experience with 376.19?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I have not, but we have had one report here after a driver update Afterburner set his OC settings to max across the board. That's the most reliable way to have GPU related shutdowns. If not, I'd just roll back because outside of OC PC shutdowns are a problem you really wanna get pinned down (and generally way beyond a driver problem)

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I rolled back to the 2nd newest driver and still have the same shut down. I guess I'll just going back each version until it stops happening. Afterburner settings seem unchanged. I can't imagine its my PSU; I have a 650 diamond from EVGA that should be overkill for my rig and not running any new hardware

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Pikey posted:

Yeah, I rolled back to the 2nd newest driver and still have the same shut down. I guess I'll just going back each version until it stops happening. Afterburner settings seem unchanged. I can't imagine its my PSU; I have a 650 diamond from EVGA that should be overkill for my rig and not running any new hardware

You didn't happen to change power outlets or power strips/UPS recently?

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Nope. No change.

I have been playing a bunch of dark arisen last week, working fine. Decided to upgrade the geforce drivers today and try them out with titanfall, and the crash happens about 8-9 minutes into any multiplayer match. No change in the outlet, PSU, or other hardware. Its now crashed with 3 different drivers, 375.95, 376.09, and a clean driver sweep and install of 376.16 with DDU. This is the first driver update I've done since getting the card in July and it has worked perfectly until then

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

Only till 2020, only till 2020, only till 2020, only till 2020...

Yeah it is easy to bag on GloFlo but the 2nd round of 480s turned out pretty good, consuming ~90w under load according to that jay-z guy. I'd have to assume things will only get better, or at the worst stay the same. (Unless I am mistaken and the 2nd round was done at TSMC or some-such)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
nVidia finally put out new iCafe drivers - 376.11: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=411379

For those who don't know, iCafe drivers are designed for internet/gaming cafes - they're not the fastest drivers out there, but they're among the most stable. Guess I'll be the test subject.

NOTE: These are only for Windows 7 and 8.1, NOT Windows 10.

EDIT: Loaded, and my system hasn't exploded yet. Good sign. :v:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 5, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Pikey posted:

Nope. No change.

I have been playing a bunch of dark arisen last week, working fine. Decided to upgrade the geforce drivers today and try them out with titanfall, and the crash happens about 8-9 minutes into any multiplayer match. No change in the outlet, PSU, or other hardware. Its now crashed with 3 different drivers, 375.95, 376.09, and a clean driver sweep and install of 376.16 with DDU. This is the first driver update I've done since getting the card in July and it has worked perfectly until then

Its probably not the drivers. Check windows log and filter for warnings and bad red flags and match the date and time with a known shutdown.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

penus penus penus posted:

Its probably not the drivers. Check windows log and filter for warnings and bad red flags and match the date and time with a known shutdown.

Looks liek I have a Event 41, Kernel-Power error with every restart.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Pikey posted:

Looks liek I have a Event 41, Kernel-Power error with every restart.

Well at least its logged but as you can probably tell thats a very generic unexpected power loss error. The simple thing would be to check your temperatures. It would help if you could actively trigger the shutdown with something simpler than gaming, such as 3d mark demo or Heaven 4.0. Afterburner itself will have sufficient temperature information on the CPU and GPU, though I wouldn't count on this being the problem these days but critical CPU temps that can't be throttled down for whatever reason will definitely turn the computer off suddenly. A fast way to check CPU temps is simple Prime95 and under test mode select Small FFT instead of the default blend.

If that doesn't cause a shutdown I'd run Prime95 plus 3d Mark or Heaven. With both running and your computer not turning off you can be reasonably sure your PSU is providing enough power along with the GPU and CPU are functioning (again, reasonably sure enough to move onto other things)

From there, unfortunately, its gonna turn into a crapshoot tracking something like this down without a bunch of spare parts on hand.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Doesn't thermal shutdown have a log code?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Event 41 is a generic "The system shut down unexpectedly" from what I recall. That it says Kernel-Power is irrelevant.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Running Prime 95 under the heat stress test maxes the temp out at 68 degree C.

Running both 3dmark and prime 95, the benchmark makes it to the 1st or second physics test, then I heard the CPU fan hit a higher RPM than before and it shut off soon thereafter. Couldn't see temps because 3dmark is full screen. Is there any way to get it in a window so I can watch temps at the same time?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Pikey posted:

Running Prime 95 under the heat stress test maxes the temp out at 68 degree C.

Running both 3dmark and prime 95, the benchmark makes it to the 1st or second physics test, then I heard the CPU fan hit a higher RPM than before and it shut off soon thereafter. Couldn't see temps because 3dmark is full screen. Is there any way to get it in a window so I can watch temps at the same time?

Alt + Enter I believe works, however it will affect its load. What you probably want to do is to enable logging in Afterburner which puts out a text file if windowed mode doesn't cause the same issue.

Though it sucks you are triggering the malfunction, it is very good that you can. Nothing is worse than a computer shutting down for no dicernable reason

Do you have a CPU OC? If so, after you are able to repeatably shut it down, temporarily revert to defaults and try again

Double Punctuation posted:

Event 41 is a generic "The system shut down unexpectedly" from what I recall. That it says Kernel-Power is irrelevant.

Yeah though it is literally referring to a "loss of power" its definitely not implying there's a power issue, but given the circumstances with pc shutdowns under load its a reasonable place to start

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Having experienced something somewhat similar, I have to say this is much more fun reading about than going through first hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Combination of Prime95 and Heaven 4.0 leads to an eventual restart as well. Temp monitoring overlayed showed no big spikes before the reset. I think CPU cores maxed out at 68 and the GPU at about 76 during the test.

Just did a system restore to 3 days ago to see if I still get the restarts