Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
Regina Spektor sucked both times i've seen her, first one wasn't really her fault as it was a festival and the tent was packed and spilling out so you could hardly hear poo poo.

Second time though was in a concert hall, she turned up late, went straight to the piano played for an hour then left. Didn't speak to the crowd once.

I've seen the good and bad sides of Mars Volta/ATDI - when they nail it its loving awesome but yeah it's a huge gamble every show.

The Vines when they first hit in 2003 - dude thought he was Cobain incarnate and was hosed off his head, completely ruined the show, you could see his other band members were hosed off at him and there was a massive stream of people (myself included) leaving. Turns out he is :spergin: and didn't know for years.

RHCP were bad too and I'm kinda a fan of them but Kiedis was terrible, supposedly had just overcome bronchitis but he just stood behind his mic and sang (badly). Very disappointing. Frusciante was loving awesome though holy poo poo he saved it singlehandedly.

Robbie Fowler fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I can't figure out if y'all have incredibly bad luck or if I have very low standards. I don't think I've ever seen a straight-up bad show in the last ~four years of regular concert-going.

I did have a mediocre Modest Mouse experience where they had a bunch of poorly-mic'd instruments (Dashboard doesn't sound great without a violin, it turns out), but at least Isaac Brock seemed relatively sober.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I've seen close to 600 shows over 34 years and only a couple were out-and-out bad, so I don't think it's super-common outside of a few notoriously dicey acts like GnR.

Bad sound is often an issue, but if you go to a lot of venues all the time, you learn where to sit/stand so it's more tolerable.

The worst issue that I've run into, and I realize it's 'cause I'm an ancient relic, is standing in front of the stage for three hours during the opening acts, then not even being able to see the band because 535 people are holding their phones up above their heads taking 535 lovely jittery videos instead of just rocking the gently caress out.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sponge Baathist posted:

That's how you know the poo poo he's copping and shooting and copping is good.

I am a dumb motherfucker

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Let's see.

First would be the Soul Brains back in the late 90s, early 2000s, which is the Bad Brains but they, hell, I dont know managed to gently caress something up so much that they couldn't even use their own name. That's my favorite band, and while I knew it would be a dice roll, come on guys it's the 9:30 club. Hometown crowd and we get a lovely dub open mic with HR kinda thing.

Next up would be Widespread Panic a few years ago in Baltimore. Man, that sucked. I went with two huge Panic fans and even they said it sucked. Afterwards I was like hey man we never fired up that bowl that you packed for the show but he admitted he would have fallen asleep had we smoked it.

There are some others, I'm sure I'll have to think. Maybe I'm just getting old or whatever, but so many shows you go to the sound is absolute poo poo because it's way, way too loud, sometimes unrecognizable after they squeeze it through a lovely PA at you.

Edit: I was at Ozzfest when there was some sort of feud between Maiden and Sharon Osbourne, and she kept cutting the power during their set.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 5, 2016

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

JnnyThndrs posted:

Bad sound is often an issue, but if you go to a lot of venues all the time, you learn where to sit/stand so it's more tolerable.

The worst issue that I've run into, and I realize it's 'cause I'm an ancient relic, is standing in front of the stage for three hours during the opening acts, then not even being able to see the band because 535 people are holding their phones up above their heads taking 535 lovely jittery videos instead of just rocking the gently caress out.

Its not a matter of being old. Bad sound is common, and nobody can seem to truly be in the moment anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

I've seen close to 600 shows over 34 years and only a couple were out-and-out bad, so I don't think it's super-common outside of a few notoriously dicey acts like GnR.

Out of the hundreds of shows I've been to in my life most of them weren't very good. Maybe I'm just cynical but more often than not bands are pretty disappointing live. Probably doesn't help that most of the bands I liked in my 20's played bars and warehouses.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I saw Weezer when they were touring for the green album. It was one of the biggest disappointment of my life. I was young, and just forming my musical tastes, and saved up for a while to get a ticket. Rivers Cuomo just stood in front of the mic the whole time, mumbling when he wasn't mumble-singing, they had a big light up "W' on the stage where half the lights didn't work, and they didn't do an encore.

I hate Weezer to this day, and don't go to many big name shows.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

veni veni veni posted:

Probably doesn't help that most of the bands I liked in my 20's played bars and warehouses.

But that's a good thing right? I see so many shows at small venues that bands get ruined for me once they're playing to more than a few hundred people. If I go to an actual big concert it hardly even seems like I've seen the band since they're so far away.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

yeah it's generally just a poo poo soundguy or lack of time for opening bands to soundcheck especially if the headliner are a bunch of dicks

the only really bad show i've seen was rwake opening for today is the day in some complete shithole in nowheresville, south carolina

i'm sure rwake put on a good show since pretty much the entire crowd was just there to see them because they immediately bolted afterward but good lord they were the worst trend-hopping neurosis-ripoff bullshit

the best part was they had some lady with dreads whose sole job was to push a key on a minimoog to make a whoosh sound every few minutes and rock back and forth as if she was compelled by the spirits

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I saw lil wayne and tpain in like...09 at the height of his popularity in Miami, he came on three hours late and played for like an hour and a half. It was alot of him over his own lyrics.

Saw the ying yang twins in miami, they played an hour, shouted out where the after party was and than dipped. The party was at a club where i knew people so i got in and they were asking everyone for weed and asking all the guys to buy them bottles lol

Saw whiz khalifia who came on two hours late, performed for half an hour and dipped

Saw jeezy at Florida A&M and he was actually good and i was one of four white people there.

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

I saw Jack White phone it in hard maybe 4-5 years ago. It wasn't a bad performance, just wholly unforgettable. I think he played for like an hour and just walked off stage after not saying a word the whole show. No encore. The whole thing was pretty joyless.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Fourtet in San Francisco about 11 years ago. He was so high and wasted on something that he just randomly played monkey cheese noises over his music with no rhythm or reason. Also at the show was Jamie lidell which should have been good, but his computer kept getting its power cut. It was all very disappointing.

Autechresaint fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 5, 2016

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

baalaagaa posted:

Van Canto at some festival at rear end end of the 00s. A terrible A cappella power metal band, no one knew who the hell they were, at first the crowd thought they had lost their gear & were just making guitar noises with their mouths as a joke. Halfway through the second song people realized they were serious & poo poo started flying at the stage like the arrow scene in 300.
No one can top this.

E:

Someone mentioned My Bloody Valentine. I saw them open up for Dinosaur Jr way back when. I guess they were known for being loud. You could feel it in your chest, like messing with your heartbeat. I have bad hearing loss today. I'm sure part of it was that concert. They just played an open chord for the last 10 minutes, noise and sound and terribleness.

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 5, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anybody mention Great White yet? I guess not very many people are still around to give first-hand accounts...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I narrowly missed a horrible show recently. I convinced a friend to buy tickets for Rakim doing all of Paid In Full, which sounded like it would be great.

I had to back out at the last minute but my friend said it was a total shitshow. Rakim just halfassed his way through the whole thing, and even mocked some of his own classic tracks like it wasn't worth doing them but hey, they're on the album so whatever.

Live hip hop is tough, when they really care it can be amazing but probably 4 out of every five rap shows I've seen has been ruined by sloppy performances.

E-

1redflag posted:

Anybody mention Great White yet? I guess not very many people are still around to give first-hand accounts...

Yes

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Bob Dylan twice. The band was great, but goddammit his voice is a parody of itself at this point.

Bob should hire that Filipino kid that took over Journey to take over.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

No one can top this.

E:

Someone mentioned My Bloody Valentine. I saw them open up for Dinosaur Jr way back when. I guess they were known for being loud. You could feel it in your chest, like messing with your heartbeat. I have bad hearing loss today. I'm sure part of it was that concert. They just played an open chord for the last 10 minutes, noise and sound and terribleness.

MBV were loud as hell when I saw them back in the day, but the 2 loudest bands I've ever seen live were Converge and Them Crooked Vultures. The sound guys at the venue I worked at confirmed Them Crooked Vultures as the loudest show any of them had ever worked.

Both bands actually sounded really good, they were just loud as gently caress. TCV made me feel like the bass was re-routing my heartbeat like you mentioned.

Young Jeezy was probably both the best and worst show I ever worked. Only show where the head of security came on the radios and literally said "ok guys we gotta stop busting people from smoking pot or we're literally going to kick out the entire crowd," which was funny. I also made $150 cash for letting a guy and his girlfriend up to the mezzanine.
OTOH the copious amounts of pot being smoked did nothing to calm the crowd's fury when Jeezy came on and played a 25-minute set as the headliner. I earned that loving $150 that night.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 5, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Bob Dylan twice. The band was great, but goddammit his voice is a parody of itself at this point.

Bob should hire that Filipino kid that took over Journey to take over.

I'd love to see a supergroup made up of famous castoffs. Steve Perry from Journey can do vocals, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater on drums. Gotta think up some good guitarists/bassists that were famously given the boot from their own bands.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kelp Me! posted:

I'd love to see a supergroup made up of famous castoffs. Steve Perry from Journey can do vocals, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater on drums. Gotta think up some good guitarists/bassists that were famously given the boot from their own bands.

dave mustaine x 4?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Bone thugs cancelled a show in Lawrence in 2009 on 4/20 with a couple hours notice and they weren't allowed to play there again. The next time I saw them was at a country bar called roadhouse which hired a bunch of massive security guards to pat people down for drugs/weapons every time they came in. Since there was no smoking area if you were smoking cigarettes or doing drugs in your car or whatever you had to get patted down each time. Several people refused to listen to security about not smoking weed and got the poo poo beat out of them for lighting up

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

stump collector posted:

Bone thugs cancelled a show in Lawrence in 2009 on 4/20 with a couple hours notice and they weren't allowed to play there again. The next time I saw them was at a country bar called roadhouse which hired a bunch of massive security guards to pat people down for drugs/weapons every time they came in. Since there was no smoking area if you were smoking cigarettes or doing drugs in your car or whatever you had to get patted down each time. Several people refused to listen to security about not smoking weed and got the poo poo beat out of them for lighting up

That sounds like the lamest bar on the planet, and that includes the Applebee's restaurant bar and those kinds of places

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Me! posted:

mike anthony

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Jane's Addiction at Riot Fest Chicago in 2014. They headlined on Firday night and Perry was so wasted on Xanax or whatever he spent the whole set mumbling about random poo poo and staggering around the stage. He forgot lyrics, stopped the show for more solo random monologue and basically hosed the whole show up. The other band members were so pissed with his poo poo that Dave Navarro turned his back to Perry every time he tried to hug him or get a reaction out of him.

Me and my friends endured about 15 minutes of this before we hosed off to go see Slayer, who put on their usual awesome show. gently caress Perry Farrell.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Fiona Apple in 199whenever her first album was out. She was a great singer but when she would talk in between songs ...holy poo poo. It was this but less pretentious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHQJlogH0k

Tori Amos around the same time period but only because of the people yelling and screaming "I LOVE YOU TORI OMG!!!!"

Recently I would say Rush's R40 tour. I'm a big fan but Geddy's voice just isn't the same, even for songs they recorded only a few years ago. It was more of a nostalgic show but they did much better on the R30 tour. Plus Neil Peart didn't really even want to do the tour.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

I saw Weezer when they were touring for the green album. It was one of the biggest disappointment of my life. I was young, and just forming my musical tastes, and saved up for a while to get a ticket. Rivers Cuomo just stood in front of the mic the whole time, mumbling when he wasn't mumble-singing, they had a big light up "W' on the stage where half the lights didn't work, and they didn't do an encore.

I hate Weezer to this day, and don't go to many big name shows.

I saw weezer when they were touring with the foo fighters and you're totally right. They basically played the songs just like they did on the albums. Technically proficient but boring as hell, especially compared to the foo fighters. What a weird backstage green room that must have been.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

someone upthread mentioned gogol bordello and reminded me that i too have had the unfortunate experience of seeing them perform in a big field at a festival. i think i got whatever horrible lung disease textile workers get from walking through the sea of people in unwashed lovely baja hoodies

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I work in this industry and have seen more live shows than I can remember at this point and you'd be surprised at the amount of "sound engineers" who are just god awful.

I've seen (heard) more bad than good these days for a lot of big artists (KISS, Motley Crue, The Black Keys, and more that I can't remember) but here's a few shows that were actually really good despite me not necessarily being a fan of the artist:

The good (in the past few years at least):
T-Pain
Kid Rock (absolutely amazing, he surprised the hell out of me)
Beck
Bryan Adams
Lionel Richie
Rebelution
Grace Potter
The Band Perry
The Decemberists
Huey Lewis
Seether
Wilco
Umphrey's McGee
Dave Matthews Band

I'm sure there's a lot more in each category but when you've worked with so many artists that you can't remember the past month, it all tends to blend together and become "just another paycheck."

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Worst concert would be a toss up between Why? and Ghostface:

- Why? played a ~40 minute set, of which at least 10 minutes was spent dealing with various technical difficulties. No energy, everyone looked like they didn't want to be there. Kind of a bummer cause I had heard good things about their live shows.

- Ghostface came on over an hour late and was waaaaay too stoned. He only did a handful of songs himself. The rest of the time was the dudes in his crew that nobody cared about handling verses and often entire songs to cover for Ghost. At one point Ghost said he was gonna freestyle but then just stood there for about 3 minutes saying pre-song "here it go," "unh yeah," "turn my headphones up" type stuff before one of his boys came in and dropped a serviceable freestyle since Ghostface wasn't going to be able to handle it. He left the stage after about 45 minutes and didn't do an encore.

Honorable mention goes to another time when GZA came on 90 minutes late and spent a lot of time complaining about how the venue's check bounced, but the set was otherwise pretty good.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I used to run sound at a medium sized venue in Georgia. Had to run sound for Theory of a Deadman once, they were awful but professionally and personally. Say Anything was probably the nicest "big" band I dealt with. Ran sound for lots and lots of indies and locals who thought their poo poo didn't stink.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The people saying Gogol Bordello are just wrong.

I went to a metal show, I forget who, with my brother and his friends. My brother's friend messed up his knee and some guy got mad at me for moshing and punched me in the face.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i am kiss u now posted:

I've seen (heard) more bad than good these days for a lot of big artists (KISS, Motley Crue,

motley crue has always been a terrible live band (and a terrible band in general)

people gave axl rose a lot of poo poo for getting fat and out of shape, but vince neil has never been able to walk around and sing at the same time, and that was before he ballooned up

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Swans at Bowery because it was too loud and I'm old

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Seeing Outkast live a few years ago was literally the biggest disappointment of my life. I'm a huge fan and bought tickets as soon as they announced the tour. Then word started coming out that Andre was acting strange at the shows.
When it came to actually seeing them live, they didn't even know what county they were in :smith:
Adding to that, they had ZERO stage chemistry. I know there's been rumours for years not getting on but it was so obvious on stage, they literally never talked to each other. Crazy stuff.

Big Boi puts on a great show but you can 100% tell that Andre is in solely for the money. An interview with him that came out a week or two after I saw them confirmed as much where he literally said "I did it for the money "

In terms of rap shows, I have to say, massive props to Danny Brown. Saw him a few weeks ago and he rapped for about 70 or 80 minutes straight, no hype man. You could tell he was getting tired by the end but he had no hype man and only gave a few lines to the crowd/ DJ. I think sobriety has really helped him, he was amazing and his new album is so good.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Public enemy played a rave in 2002 and they were the only hip hop act and the sound was clearly not set up well for them and I could barely hear the vocals and also a million people hosed on speed and mdma were just milling around waiting for one of the dudes from the prodigy to come on afterwards and clearly didn't give a poo poo, I'm also pretty sure this was the point where flayva flab was rly off the wagon and even if all those issues weren't a thing m pretty sure it still would have been a mess

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

The worst would have to be my very first concert experience. My family went to a Christian church for a short time when I was a kid, maybe around 2004. This band from Australia called The Planetshakers were going to play there, so I convinced my entire family to go because I wanted to see an actual rock band live. The band played 2 songs, then stopped and preached for the rest of the time we were there. After a bit, we quietly left and never went to that church again.
The second worst: Bob Dylan in 2008.. I mean yeah, I can say I've seen Bob Dylan, but he played keyboards the whole time, sung a bunch of obscure songs, and his voice was just gone, of course..
Third would have to be seeing Smash Mouth for free in 2010. George Lopez made a surprise appearance and introduced Smash Mouth. Steve Harwell was pretty drunk. Their drummer at that time was great though, and guitarist Greg Camp (who is the one who actually wrote All Star) signed my shoe.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I worked at a big outdoor venue one summer and caught a lot of 90's acts. Ok i worked in the concession booth. Phish had such a mellow sound the old ladies in the booth were swinging their hips.
I got off early and thought i could mingle with the hippies; buy me some blotter acid. The stench was too much; couldn't even smell weed over that.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

We Know Catheters posted:

The people saying Gogol Bordello are just wrong.

No kidding. GB put on one of the best shows I've ever seen at the Concord in Chicago.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
If someone put a gun to my head and told me I had to either watch a GB show, or Steam Powered Giraffe I would probably just pull the trigger for them.

I will say that GB had good energy and stage presence, but that doesn't really make up for god awful songs.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Snowy posted:

I narrowly missed a horrible show recently. I convinced a friend to buy tickets for Rakim doing all of Paid In Full, which sounded like it would be great.

I had to back out at the last minute but my friend said it was a total shitshow. Rakim just halfassed his way through the whole thing, and even mocked some of his own classic tracks like it wasn't worth doing them but hey, they're on the album so whatever.

Live hip hop is tough, when they really care it can be amazing but probably 4 out of every five rap shows I've seen has been ruined by sloppy performances.

E-

Yes

I once saw Rakim and he couldn't keep up with the backing track so it sounded like a weird echo because he was about a second behind it. He would just freeze up for a minute and try again (and fail)

• Locked thread