Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

mellowjournalism posted:

why aren't you just closing the app directly

Because I like putting my PS in restmode without shutting down the game so it starts immediately when I turn it back on :shrug: But the real question is: why can't dice make a quit button that works directly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
On Xbox at least, I think it's actually faster to close the game and restart it rather than use :dice:'s quit button if you want to switch servers. :ughh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

shut up blegum posted:

Because I like putting my PS in restmode without shutting down the game so it starts immediately when I turn it back on :shrug: But the real question is: why can't dice make a quit button that works directly?

Right, but you said that you're restarting your PS4. Instead of doing that, close the app?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Snak posted:

Just got shitstomped 4-100. Jesus.

Fao Fortress? That map is incredibly unbalanced on domination

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Laminator posted:

Fao Fortress? That map is incredibly unbalanced on domination

How could you guess.

Yeah, it's really bad.

I know I'm just bad at the game, but I feel like mortars need to either: be easier to deploy, faster to aim, or do more damage. It doesn't really matter which one.

I also find it really frustrating that I can spot an enemy, duck behind cover and set up my mortar, and by time the targeting circle is small, the enemy is no longer marked on my map.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love using the mortar on that ewok map and having most of my shots get wasted up in the trees

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You know what would be cool, from a realism, a making mortars not suck, and an encourage people to spot point of view, is if your "fire for effect" circle stayed large and vague if you're generally aiming at any given rooftop or hillside on the assumption that there's guys up there, but rapidly shrank to pinpoint accuracy if you place it over a spotted target.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

I love using the mortar on that ewok map and having most of my shots get wasted up in the trees

Yeah, there's nothing worse than setting up your mortar and realizing that 100% of your shots are blocked due to some geometry that you did not foresee. Since you can't move it, you're just hosed for a random amount of time.

Also, for awhile I thought there was a cooldown immediatly after you spawned where you couldn't deploy the mortar, because I would be unable to deploy it right after spawning even when I hadn't deployed it last life. But then last night I was able to deploy it right after spawning. So I think it's literally just random.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I accidentally blew up my team's sniper perch one time from firing directly underneath it, at least that was cool because I had immediate feedback that I was doing something Good when dead people landed on top of me

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Finger Prince posted:

You know what would be cool, from a realism, a making mortars not suck, and an encourage people to spot point of view, is if your "fire for effect" circle stayed large and vague if you're generally aiming at any given rooftop or hillside on the assumption that there's guys up there, but rapidly shrank to pinpoint accuracy if you place it over a spotted target.

That is actually a good idea.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beastie posted:

That is actually a good idea.

Can someone forward it to the dice devs so that they can implement it in the next patch, along with a patch to sniper rifles that make them one-hit-kill against support troops from anywhere beyond mortar range?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Finger Prince posted:

if mortars rapidly shrank to pinpoint accuracy if you place it over a spotted target.

this is a great idea

wait

just got a handwritten note from dice, addressed to you?

*peers*

DICE posted:

"kill yourself"

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Dice: we like the concept but not the overall idea. So from henceforth, sniper rifles will be more accurate if shooting at a spotted target. Also if you're on the edge of the map you get head shots every time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mellowjournalism posted:

this is a great idea

wait

*peers*

Dear DICE,

Thank you for your suggestion. You will be pleased to hear that our data shows such measures to be unnecessary. We show that your solution is currently being more than adequately served by the many sniper nests and their residents who are immune to, and indeed unextractable by, sustained mortar fire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It just bugs me that, when I know exactly where a sniper is, I can put 3 mortars within 10 feet of him and still not kill him. In the same amount of time, he can wipe an entire squad.

What usually happens is a different sniper kills me while I wait for my targeting circle to get smaller.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Why kill yourself when :dice:'s geometry, terrain, and bugged wreckage can do it for you?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The correct way to deal with snipers as with most things in this game is the assault plane.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In addition to my general complaints about how much trouble I have spotting enemies, it bugs me so much that the giant glint from a sniper's scope isn't sufficient to spot an enemy sniper. Like, I can obviously see that there's a sniper there, the devs decided that they should render a giant effect showing me the location of the sniper. But they are too far away for me to indicate to my team that they are there.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Popete posted:

The correct way to deal with snipers as with most things in this game is the assault plane.

If you can't kill it with the artillery truck, kill it with the plane

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I think it was Fastest that was championing the fighter with the darts.

So effective, come at a bomber from below, shred it with mg fire. Jam the throttle forward, get above them and drop the darts for the kill.

Also very effective against infantry.

Not nearly as effective against the attack plane so just leave them be.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Point Piņata

Sentry Surprise

Hunter Hater

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Beastie posted:

my dude

aint no better feeling than making GBS threads on a full attack plane

wait no, its making GBS threads on a coolguy mcsolo pilot trying to switch into the gunner seat

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Beastie posted:

I think it was Fastest that was championing the fighter with the darts.

So effective, come at a bomber from below, shred it with mg fire. Jam the throttle forward, get above them and drop the darts for the kill.

Also very effective against infantry.

Someone else here recommended it a few days ago. It's a lot of fun! Cool to alternate dart runs and flares with you too.

Love 2 dart snipers.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Holy gently caress is this game buggy as gently caress.

In my 3ish hours this evening i've:

-Spawned a few times with no crosshair, unable to fire my gun or change weapons/use gadgets until i die and respawn.
-Been unable to reload my gun on a few occasions until i die and respawn.
-Spawned with my guy holding his weapon up high at a weird angle in the top right hand corner of the screen unable to look up or down to aim the loving thing
-Just died walking along for no apparent reason (i appreciate this could be lag on a kill or something but in most cases there was absolutely no one around me).

This is by far the worst experience i've had with a DICE game.

It's not helped by the fact that the idiot quota seems to have drastically increased in the player base. I'm usually top 3 despite having lovely reflexes with gently caress all kills simply because i play the objective and do crazy stuff like healing people and bringing them back to life. I've been killed in groups where there are 2 or 3 other medics and watched on the deathcam as they all ran away from causalities after the firefight was over.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I always have wondered if the "medics in vicinity" includes medics that don't have a syringe

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

FastestGunAlive posted:

Someone else here recommended it a few days ago. It's a lot of fun! Cool to alternate dart runs and flares with you too.

Love 2 dart snipers.

We were good, but we can be better.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea we gotta practice it up some more. However I'll be working a 3am - 3pm shift this week sooo I won't be on until the weekend

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I always have wondered if the "medics in vicinity" includes medics that don't have a syringe

Not sure, but the skull icon designating corpses only shows if you've got a syringe.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

mellowjournalism posted:

this is a great idea

wait

*peers*

Lol yeah, :dice: only listens to feedback from reddit snipers, because they are the loudest, most thin skinned babies. There was a solid month right after release where the mortar was 1. accurate and 2. did damage. And then the redditors complained, lo and behold, the only really effective anti-sniper weapon is now useless. You would think the solution to getting mortared constantly would be 'find a new place to hide,' but it's actually complain to dice until they make the mortar mostly ineffective.

I remember a furor on bf4 reddit. Did dice accidentally email their browsing history to their mothers? No, they adjusted the 100% damage 100% accurate pubby cannon sniper rifle to reload .4 seconds slower.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 6, 2016

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

moist turtleneck posted:

Finger Prince posted:

Not sure, but the skull icon designating corpses only shows if you've got a syringe.

the worst is when I'm a tanker in a tank and I see "revive me pls" icons everywhere as I roll by which I can only assume means tons of dead dudes are raging

y'all can blame pubbies all you want but DICE has designed their teamwork mechanics to collapse so profoundly under their bugs that the concept of PTFO is the absolute biggest joke I've ever heard

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
https://gfycat.com/PlasticImmaterialAnnelida
What's the range on dynamite?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

This was exquisite. Good to catch up with you and Woodshelf tonight.

Sorry to Gamerbabe and Effable MY WIFE walked in the door just as the operation was kicking off, I'll be able to poop on more mans tomorrow evening.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
http://i.imgur.com/OU6tx4E.gifv

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Apologies if this has.already been asked, I asked in the other BF thread, not realizing it was a PC thread.

Anyone else on PS4 having a problem with the class specific rank on customize soldier from the main menu? Every time I go in there, it's locked at rank 0, but works correctly when customizing my solider in-game.

Pain in the rear end if I want to buy something new when I rank up, only to have to actually go into a server to do it.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Zipperelli. posted:

Apologies if this has.already been asked, I asked in the other BF thread, not realizing it was a PC thread.

Anyone else on PS4 having a problem with the class specific rank on customize soldier from the main menu? Every time I go in there, it's locked at rank 0, but works correctly when customizing my solider in-game.

Pain in the rear end if I want to buy something new when I rank up, only to have to actually go into a server to do it.

TBH I don't touch the soldier customization outside of the game as it was buggy and wouldn't allow weapon tweaks.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
App or menu it still resets all my load outs anytime I try to adjust something outside a game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ol Standard Retard posted:

This was exquisite. Good to catch up with you and Woodshelf tonight.

Sorry to Gamerbabe and Effable MY WIFE walked in the door just as the operation was kicking off, I'll be able to poop on more mans tomorrow evening.

No problem. the last guardian comes out tomorrow, so I'm probably playing that until I finish the game. But I'll definitely shoot more mans this weekend.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

NUKE EM RICO

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I can't be mad at this. That's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

mellowjournalism posted:

y'all can blame pubbies all you want but DICE has designed their teamwork mechanics to collapse so profoundly under their bugs that the concept of PTFO is the absolute biggest joke I've ever heard

Medals, too. They medal system is so jacked that you have half the people on your team doing their own thing trying to unlock the medal instead of actually playing the game mode.