Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I hope the game acknowledges it when I name my character "Low"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Pattonesque posted:

can it truly be Mass Effect without the vorcha

actually I bet the first DLC for this will be another Ark arriving with a bunch of panicked non-council races fleeing the Reaper war

Bringing along all the good guns with it. Want that Saber or Harrier again? $19.99 will make your shooty spaceman...shootier.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wonder if girl or boy Ryder will be more popular

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Didn't Bioware release some analyticals showing that 80% of all players who started a Mass Effect savefile stayed with default male appearance Soldier?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to be Boy Ryder.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Either way I will be Dick Ryder

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

Didn't Bioware release some analyticals showing that 80% of all players who started a Mass Effect savefile stayed with default male appearance Soldier?

You're amalgamating three statistics into one.

Male Shepard: 80%
Solider: A little over 50%
Default appearance (male or female): 20%

"Default" depends on how you view it though. The stat is just "used appearance customization". So if someone changed Shepard's hair cut and left everything else alone that would count as a non-default appearance.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 5, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Either way I will be Dick Ryder

noice!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I tend to pick the default appearance because it's generally more presentable in cutscenes than the horrifying mutant monsters I always manage to make in the character creator.

Chomp8645 posted:

So if someone changed Shepard's hair cut and left everything else alone that would count as a non-default appearance.
You can't do that, though. The default shepfaces can't be modified, if you pick the custom face option it gives you a different face to mess around with (less noticeable on pre-ME3 femshep)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 5, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Making a distinct Shepard in the ME1 editor that doesn't look like some horrible monstrosity takes years of practice and is, indeed, the hardest thing to do across all three games.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Also the faces are somehow subtly different in the editor vs cutscenes

must have restarted me2 like 10 times trying make a normal face

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bongo Bill posted:

Question: can we finally just let this go?

Finding it, that's not the hard part... it's letting go.

It's amazing how bioware managed to make a face generator that made fallout3/new vegas's face sliders look good in comparison. I wonder what this game's notable repetitive animation will be. In mass effect one it was the slumped shoulders while the head wobbled and the arms shook. In kotor is was the angry fist or the "loom forward while talking until canderous's whole face fills the screen."

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 5, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Making a distinct Shepard in the ME1 editor that doesn't look like some horrible monstrosity takes years of practice and is, indeed, the hardest thing to do across all three games.

I'm convinced that every possible Shepard in ME1 looks like complete rear end in the first scene where he walks up to the bridge and does his stick-in-rear end pose. I have never, ever made a character that looked good in that scene.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, for my first playthrough I made a custom character that looked ok in character creation, but somehow looked more and more like frankenstein's monster the longer the game went on. After that I just went with default appearance with maybe a different hairstyle/color if I was feeling fancy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I'm convinced that every possible Shepard in ME1 looks like complete rear end in the first scene where he walks up to the bridge and does his stick-in-rear end pose. I have never, ever made a character that looked good in that scene.

The great thing is you have to sit through that 3-minute cutscene every single time, hearing that heroic swell of the main ME theme only to reveal your Shepard as some misshapen mongoloid. I wonder how many prospective Shepards have died on the bridge of the Normandy within the first few minutes of the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The thing is that my characters generally look OK in the game itself, it's just that scene that has some weird combination of light, camera angle, and stick-in-rear end pose that makes every single character look like complete garbage. In a way it's a good taste of the quality experience Mass Effect 1 has on offer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Giraffe neck women shrphards

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The DAI one was worse because you had to make your dude in the fade

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My last DA:I face was a masterpiece, probably my finest accomplishment in gaming.

e: screenshot doesn't do it full justice

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 5, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

At least they eventually added the mirror of transformation in a free DLC.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It was always the cheekbones for me. Shep would look great in the creator but then stepping into the light reveals that she could cut diamonds with the edges on her face.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

My last DA:I face was a masterpiece, probably my finest accomplishment in gaming.

same

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

mine was pretty great but I made the lips like way, way too shiny to the point where it actually looked like she had her mouth constantly slightly open

I mirror of transformation'd that poo poo real quick

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Moola posted:

I like mass effect and I hope the next one is good

WHat kind of insane mass effect fan are you??

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope they give us better hair. The Inquisition character creator is pretty great (except for the lighting*), but the hair is largely terrible, especially facial hair. And you can't count on mods to fix it because the kind of hair modders put in is usually ten times worse.

*And holy gently caress why did they force you to make Hawke's face in pitch blackness?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Even Tyranny has terrible facial hair. The game is really great otherwise, but I don't get why it's so difficult to make decent beards!

(Tyranny is also one of the games that profits immensely from having quite a lot of dialogue not voice acted.)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

marshmallow creep posted:

I hope they give us better hair. The Inquisition character creator is pretty great (except for the lighting*), but the hair is largely terrible, especially facial hair. And you can't count on mods to fix it because the kind of hair modders put in is usually ten times worse.

*And holy gently caress why did they force you to make Hawke's face in pitch blackness?

Actually the inquisition hair owns because I can realize my dream of being a powerful white guy but getting to rock the cool black guy hair where it's shaved around the front and forehead but then *boom* cool long hair everywhere else and it kinda looks like dreads but it's not really

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

exquisite tea posted:

In my opinion the ME2 editor was the best, and it bothers me my imported "good enough in ME1/ great in ME2 shep" suddenly looked way worse in ME3

e: so let's discuss which face editor is the best, because why not continue to reinforce ME2's status as The Best

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout 4's Mario 64 stretchy face generator.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just kept a helmet on so I didn't have to look at my Shepard's face.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fallout 4's Mario 64 stretchy face generator.

I'll be honest: Unless I'm trying to make a disaster, I find it very finicky and unwieldy.

More character creators need a random button, like Saints Row. And a "similar" button like Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

new bioware IP lookin good

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The 4 Stages of Mass Effect 3' Ending

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

I wouldn't gently caress with any of these guys. Three out of fear, one out of pity.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

These loss edits are getting really obscure.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't work for Cerberus, Commander. I work for the Graveyard Smash.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

*nods sagely*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011