Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
he got too old and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I would definitely say getting out of hardware is considered dead. Otherwise you could say Blockbuster Video is still around or Circuit City still exists because it redirects to Tiger Direct. It's dead.

Kind of sad to be honest because I was still hoping a decent phone with physical keys would one day exist again in the future.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

rip, rotor. dead and on twitter

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mishaq posted:

quote:
In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.

He also mentioned Nortel as another domestically abandoned iconic Canadian market leader, which is now typically mentioned by the media in conjunction with Blackberry's fall from prominence. Are Canadians maintaining our famous polite indifference or displaying our well known national low self esteem ?

lmao the entire forum is conspiracy theorists

we have no loyalty to badly managed poo poo shows unless they're a monopolistic cartel *coughrogerstelusbellcough*

BBRY/Nortel/CFL never had that

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

he got too old and died

"just kidding!" shrieks rotor as he rises through the floor

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
photos of THE FINAL BLACKBERRY have apparently emerged on weibo

it is codenamed mercury, and it will be the last in-house blackberry-designed phone. future devices will be made by third parties using blackberry's """""""hardened""""""" android and oem software.

it's been a long journey, but here we are. what have we learned from all of this? i mean, if we've learned anything from it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Kins posted:

what have we learned from all of this?
1) joint ceo companies are a really really really bad idea
2) technical debt will always come around to bite you in the rear end
3) "lets do a clean from-scratch rewrite of our core software" is a decision that dooms companies (see also: netscape)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Kins posted:

what have we learned from all of this?

we learned that people don't actually want keyboards

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Kins posted:

photos of THE FINAL BLACKBERRY have apparently emerged on weibo

it is codenamed mercury, and it will be the last in-house blackberry-designed phone. future devices will be made by third parties using blackberry's """""""hardened""""""" android and oem software.

it's been a long journey, but here we are. what have we learned from all of this? i mean, if we've learned anything from it.

it looks like a normal phone ni an enormous mismatched case

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FMguru posted:

3) "lets do a clean from-scratch rewrite of our core software" is a decision that dooms companies (see also: netscape)
did it work for apple because they effectively bought the new OS along with next instead of writing it themselves?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Apollo posted:

did it work for apple because they effectively bought the new OS along with next instead of writing it themselves?
yeah nextstep had a software library and developer community and a decade of bugfixing and polish before apple bought it

one of the reasons apple bought nextstep was that their internal efforts to clean-sheet write a new os from scratch (pink, taligent, etc) had all failed catastrophically

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
buying next was essentially an engineering brain transplant for apple. the next guys had taken over the os

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

yeah nextstep had a software library and developer community and a decade of bugfixing and polish before apple bought it

one of the reasons apple bought nextstep was that their internal efforts to clean-sheet write a new os from scratch (pink, taligent, etc) had all failed catastrophically

of course os x also failed catastrophically, but at least they tried

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

of course os x also failed catastrophically, but at least they tried

50 billion dollars a year in profit is what I would describe as a catastrophic failure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

50 billion dollars a year in profit is what I would describe as a catastrophic failure.

os x doesn't make 50 billion a year in profit you crazy little man.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

child,

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

os x doesn't make 50 billion a year in profit you crazy little man.

yeah it's probs more

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Kins posted:

• blackberry literally couldn't make a good phone to save their life

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ahmeni posted:

yeah it's probs more

lol nope

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ahmeni posted:

yeah it's probs more
apple made $53.4 bn in profit last year almost entirely by selling devices running some version of osx (mac, iphone, ipad, watch, tv)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i was going to note that fishmech is implicitly agreeing that android is a massive failure because no one makes any money from it, but then i remember ms does, so good for ms, i guess

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FMguru posted:

apple made $53.4 bn in profit last year almost entirely by selling devices running some version of osx (mac, iphone, ipad, watch, tv)

ios is not osx

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

no they did not, because ios has basically nothing to do with os x.

Endless Mike posted:

i was going to note that fishmech is implicitly agreeing that android is a massive failure because no one makes any money from it, but then i remember ms does, so good for ms, i guess

tons of people make money from android, which is used by billions of people. no one makes money from os x, which is used by about 5 remaining people.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol fishmech

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

ios is not osx

actually, it is

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

qirex posted:

Rebadging In Melancholy

e: Rebadging Indicates Melancholy?
Regretting Idiotic Management?

Reabadging Indicates Mismanagement

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

my employer replaced my work blackberry with a work iphone this week. Another nail in the coffin of RIM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

as fishmech ages, the "america's smartest" facet of his person begins to dull, leaving only the "child"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

no they did not, because ios has basically nothing to do with os x

ios is just embedded osx

it's true that they don't derive their profits from selling the software, but you can't dispute that ios is, in fact, an osx derivative.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

those devices just as easily could have been running linux or solaris or whatever. (apple very nearly licensed solaris before the NeXT purchase)

it's a little weird that apple retains their own proprietary unix

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ios is just embedded osx

it's true that they don't derive their profits from selling the software, but you can't dispute that ios is, in fact, an osx derivative.

can you run os x applications on it without complicated compatibility layers? answer: no

therefore its not os x

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Kins posted:

market superiority doesn't depend on hardware keyboards or strong encryption

the guys who founded RIM are brain dead

people who still buy them are likely oldsters who hate virtual keys

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fishmech posted:

can you run os x applications on it without complicated compatibility layers? answer: no

you could, if apple let you. which they will not.

there is no technological reason you couldn't. it's an osx kernel with an osx userspace running on an osx filesystem

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is no technological reason you couldn't. it's an osx kernel with an osx userspace running on an osx filesystem

no you could not. as they are different operating systems. in order for apple to "let you" do it they'd need to majorly change it.

and no, it's an openstep kernel with a horrible mishmash userspace on a Classic Mac OS 8 filesystem.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

ios is not osx

incorrect

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

is windows rt windows?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Apollo posted:

is windows rt windows?

nah

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

userspace isn't completely the same: uikit (ios ui framework) is not the same api as cocoa (osx ui framework). they are (very) close relatives, to the point that people can share big chunks of source code between ios and osx versions of an app, but not "just hit recompile" identical twins

that said, lol @ fishmech's entire angle. if you go look up stebe's presentation announcing the iphone (it should be on youtube somewhere) i'm p. sure he basically called it os x on a phone, because they hadn't invented the ios name to describe it yet.

also it is now known history that there were two factions inside apple which competed for the right to create the os for ipad/iphone: the ipod guys, who wanted to enhance the super lightweight ipod "os", and the mac system software guys, who thought it should be possible to pare down osx to run on a device with limited memory. the osx faction won because (a) they came up with convincing existence proof and (b) starting from something feature rich and throwing away what you don't need / can't afford to have (yet) gives a better development path than starting over from scratch

iirc this choice was p. much why tony fadell ended up leaving apple and founding nest. after they chose osx there was no chance his ipod division was ever going to do anything but slowly lose influence inside apple

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

that said, lol @ fishmech's entire angle. if you go look up stebe's presentation announcing the iphone (it should be on youtube somewhere) i'm p. sure he basically called it os x on a phone, because they hadn't invented the ios name to describe it yet.

steve jobs also described magic fruit diets as a way to treat cancer successfully, and html5 on an EDGE connection as a good thing to use instead of native applications, i don't trust steve jobs to describe things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
bless ur heart fishmech

• Locked thread