Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Motto posted:

Neither DmC or DR3 were revivals? They were changes in direction for fairly popular series that failed to draw a wider audience like reboots are presumably meant to.

Please don't acknowledge, quote, or respond to Guy Mann.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Holy poo poo that dead rising ending, what a scam

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tap my mountain posted:

Holy poo poo that dead rising ending, what a scam

It's actually crazy. Like, I have no idea what the developers could have been thinking when they made it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Can you guys spoil it for me? I don't give a single poo poo about it, I just want to be in on mocking lovely things because I'm a sad and dysfunctional person

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

Can you guys spoil it for me? I don't give a single poo poo about it, I just want to be in on mocking lovely things.

Basically: Frank is escaping with his 2 plot buddies onto a helicopter, but he doesn't quite make the jump. A bunch of zombies form a ladder and grab onto him, pulling him down. The others escape just fine in the chopper while Frank gets bitten to shreds. After a fade to black, the side characters talk extensively about how much Frank sucks. This is all a hook for the DLC in which it turns out Frank is alive and has to search for a cure to his bitten-ness.

It sucks. Here it is in video form.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Can you guys spoil it for me? I don't give a single poo poo about it, I just want to be in on mocking lovely things because I'm a sad and dysfunctional person

From what I understand, Frank West gets pulled down and devourered by zombies and then the other survivors talk about what a crappy glory-hound he was. The end, no moral, and no alternate ending.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Basically: Frank is escaping with his 2 plot buddies onto a helicopter, but he doesn't quite make the jump. A bunch of zombies form a ladder and grab onto him, pulling him down. The others escape just fine in the chopper while Frank gets bitten to shreds. After a fade to black, the side characters talk extensively about how much Frank sucks. This is all a hook for the DLC in which it turns out Frank is alive and has to search for a cure to his bitten-ness.

Thanks.

yeah I tried to google it and all I found was videos of it.

I am in the modern minority of people who would apparently rather just read a paragraph than sit through a 10 minute video.

I never managed to get into Dead Rising. I got the first one a few years back free on Games with Gold. Played it for a bit, but by that time it just felt really dated and awkward.

This new one sounds loving terrible.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Games where the real ending is DLC makes it feel like it's 2010 again.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Snak posted:

I am in the modern minority of people who would apparently rather just read a paragraph than sit through a 10 minute video.

I am part of this minority too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I am part of this minority too.

yeah, it's not like a tiny minority, there are plenty of people who feel this way. But apparently not enough, because so much stuff is just videos. It's crazy to me. Videos certainly have their purposes, but I can read a lot faster than someone can narrate a video, and I can skim words for what I'm looking for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

yeah, it's not like a tiny minority, there are plenty of people who feel this way. But apparently not enough, because so much stuff is just videos. It's crazy to me. Videos certainly have their purposes, but I can read a lot faster than someone can narrate a video, and I can skim words for what I'm looking for.

I don't understand why wanting to consume a piece of visual media visually is crazy. Wanting to read a synopsis instead is not crazy either, but like... Really?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't mind videos for some things but I frigging hate videos that explain how to fix/install/repair things. I understand why those are useful but I really don't want to sit through a 10 minute video when I just need a set of instructions.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

It's actually crazy. Like, I have no idea what the developers could have been thinking when they made it.

So basically Asura's Wrath all over again eh.

PFft crazy? Maybe YOU are the one whose crazy Snak. :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I don't understand why wanting to consume a piece of visual media visually is crazy. Wanting to read a synopsis instead is not crazy either, but like... crazy? Really?

Well I said "so much stuff is just videos. It's crazy to me".

I don't think it's crazy to want to consume a piece of visual media visually. I think it's crazy how often videos replace articles when there is no need for them to do so.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't mind videos for some things but I frigging hate videos that explain how to fix/install/repair things. I understand why those are useful but I really don't want to sit through a 10 minute video when I just need a set of instructions.

And often, you are only confused on one step, and while it would be trivial to skim written instructions for clarification on your point of confusion, it's a huge pain to skip through a video looking for the part where they cover what you're looking for.

Plenty of times, I watch a video only to find out they never even do the thing I'm looking for, and the video is poorly named.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

CJacobs posted:

The craziest part is that dlc concept is taken straight from DR1 except it was part of the base game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Same for me.

I go to videos for things that really do need to be visual. Like, let's say I'm considering trying a certain character build in an RPG and I want to see how it plays. I'll go to a video for that. But more than half the time, any video about any given build is just somebody with the skill tree up just talking over it and hovering the cursor over things for 30 minutes with no actual gameplay. And I wonder, who wants those videos? Whose ideal method of finding that information is a long, disorganized video with nothing of visual interest? Clearly these people number in the thousands though so :shrug: I guess.

I do like some videos that explain how to install certain things, but really only for physical things. Like, I wouldn't ever go to a video to help me install or fix a piece of software, but I did find videos helpful when I first built a PC so I could watch someone physically work with the same kinds of parts I was.

Apparently book reviews on YouTube are a thing now and I can't imagine wanting to listen to some random person talk about a book for ten minutes. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't think a review needs to be a video unless it's reviewing something with a visual component and wants to include clips.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 5, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Writing actual proper instructions that work for people with little prior knowledge is tricky and tedious.

YouTube videos are easy and maybe you can make some of that sweet ad money!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lobok posted:

Writing actual proper instructions that work for people with little prior knowledge is tricky and tedious.

YouTube videos are easy and maybe you can make some of that sweet ad money!

Yeah, maybe it's because I do that for my actual, real-life day job that makes me more sensitive to it. I value really good written instructions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jim Sterling's got a video on the last guardian, he likes a lot about it, but hates some stuff too. That said, his thing on "you can throw the food barrel at trico and sometimes he'll catch it in his mouth and eat it like that and it's really awesome, and other times he'll just sit there and let it hit him in his stupid gormless face" if anything sells me on it even more because that is totally something dogs do. Sometimes they'll have a preternatural ability to snatch something out of midair, and other times they'll just sit there and watch it hit them square in the forehead

Most of the stuff in the footage he posted looks fantastic, too, if I ever got a PS4 I'd probably buy TLG for an atmospheric piece. It looks wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh_51AdYBo&hd=1

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think real literacy is a huge problem.

No, I don't mean that people literally can't read English. I mean they don't know how to parse sentences and turn them into useful information in their brain. People don't know how to read and follow instructions. People don't know how to use google. I work at an IT help desk in a college computer lab. I have helped basically every customer the exact same way: Typing their problem into google and reading them the result.

People ask things like "how do I print more than one powerpoint slide per page" "well, see the screen you're on right now? see where it says 'page setup'? And then slides per page?"

One of the places i work is a help desk next to a large sign giving directions to various things in the building. Two of the most common questions I get are "where are the printers" (there is a giant bank of printers in full view 15 feet away) and "where is [room on the giant sign 10 feet away]?"

edit: One time a girl asked me how to find what room her class was in. I thought she meant how to find the room number on her schedule. No, she didn't know how to find a numbered room in the building. I said "just go to the room with that number by the door" and she was like "Like, start on the top floor and work my way down?" "Well, it's 212, so it's probably on the second floor, I would start there..." "Okay, I just didn't want to walk into the wrong room!"

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 5, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I find it hard to retain information unless a grotesque youtuber shouts it at me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

Thanks.

yeah I tried to google it and all I found was videos of it.

I never managed to get into Dead Rising. I got the first one a few years back free on Games with Gold. Played it for a bit, but by that time it just felt really dated and awkward.

This new one sounds loving terrible.

Snak posted:

Snak posted:

Well I said "so much stuff is just videos. It's crazy to me".

I don't think it's crazy to want to consume a piece of visual media visually. I think it's crazy how often videos replace articles when there is no need for them to do so.

And often, you are only confused on one step, and while it would be trivial to skim written instructions for clarification on your point of confusion, it's a huge pain to skip through a video looking for the part where they cover what you're looking for.

Plenty of times, I watch a video only to find out they never even do the thing I'm looking for, and the video is poorly named.

Snak posted:

No, I don't mean that people literally can't read English. I mean they don't know how to parse sentences and turn them into useful information in their brain. People don't know how to read and follow instructions. People don't know how to use google. I work at an IT help desk in a college computer lab. I have helped basically every customer the exact same way: Typing their problem into google and reading them the result.

People ask things like "how do I print more than one powerpoint slide per page" "well, see the screen you're on right now? see where it says 'page setup'? And then slides per page?"

One of the places i work is a help desk next to a large sign giving directions to various things in the building. Two of the most common questions I get are "where are the printers" (there is a giant bank of printers in full view 15 feet away) and "where is [room on the giant sign 10 feet away]?"

It's because videos can go on youtube and lead to ad revenue/subscribers for the producter. Text gets googled, read, and then immediately discarded which leads to nothing for the producer.

If you enjoyed this explanation please like, comment, and subscribe.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 5, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Jim Sterling's got a video on the last guardian, he likes a lot about it, but hates some stuff too. That said, his thing on "you can throw the food barrel at trico and sometimes he'll catch it in his mouth and eat it like that and it's really awesome, and other times he'll just sit there and let it hit him in his stupid gormless face" if anything sells me on it even more because that is totally something dogs do.

MGSV had a similar thing, where you'd order D-Dog to stay put and he'd stay still for half a second before running back to your side. Unintentional dog AI is great :3:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Invictus posted:

Most of the stuff in the footage he posted looks fantastic, too, if I ever got a PS4 I'd probably buy TLG for an atmospheric piece. It looks wonderful.

Man, maybe it's because we don't tend to ever control children in a game but the animations of him running around, going up the stairs, and pulling that thing out of the ground are all charming. There's an earnest fun to it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Jim Sterling's got a video on the last guardian, he likes a lot about it, but hates some stuff too. That said, his thing on "you can throw the food barrel at trico and sometimes he'll catch it in his mouth and eat it like that and it's really awesome, and other times he'll just sit there and let it hit him in his stupid gormless face" if anything sells me on it even more because that is totally something dogs do. Sometimes they'll have a preternatural ability to snatch something out of midair, and other times they'll just sit there and watch it hit them square in the forehead

Trico sometimes not following your commands is one of those things where... like, yeah, it's realistic, and maybe it makes you feel more like Trico is a real animal, but is it good for actually playing the game? I'm all for games trying to draw the player in more, make them feel like the world is more real, but when realism comes in the form of a frustrating game mechanic, I can't blame someone for dropping it.

Snak posted:

No, I don't mean that people literally can't read English. I mean they don't know how to parse sentences and turn them into useful information in their brain.

I taught freshman/junior comp at a university for a little over three years and yeah, this is a huge thing. My colleagues and I generally saw literacy as the real thing we were trying to teach, not writing, and it's hard as hell. Media literacy, too, figuring out how to sort good from bad information or judge the trustworthiness of a writer or speaker. Sometimes I'd get students who'd assume an outlet is "biased" if it has a point of view--I'm sure that's how they were taught in high school--but it isn't that simple, either, and thinking that way opens yourself to thinking that the only way a media source can be trustworthy is if it "gives both sides equal time."

Weirdly enough I'd love to go back to that if I could actually make money doing it but like hell I'm getting a PhD and not having one just lets universities pay you dangerously close to nothing so gently caress that :v:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ImpAtom posted:

From what I understand, Frank West gets pulled down and devourered by zombies and then the other survivors talk about what a crappy glory-hound he was. The end, no moral, and no alternate ending.

No alternate ending, for real? That video posted ended the game with 55% complete, and I could see something like a low percentage gating you into a certain ending. But I also know the current state of video games and I don't doubt the DLC hook angle.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Harrow posted:

Trico sometimes not following your commands is one of those things where... like, yeah, it's realistic, and maybe it makes you feel more like Trico is a real animal, but is it good for actually playing the game? I'm all for games trying to draw the player in more, make them feel like the world is more real, but when realism comes in the form of a frustrating game mechanic, I can't blame someone for dropping it.

In Shadow of the Colossus Agro would sometimes do stubborn horse poo poo like suddenly jank in the wrong direction, especially during battle, or avoid cliff faces. It was actually kind of neat and it never really felt overdone or intrusive.

Not that I'm saying Last Guardian's approach is good, but it is possible to convey "stubborn dumb animal" believably and not having it ruin a good gaming time.

Stealth edit: I'm not arguing with you, just adding to your comment.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

That can't happen, because they found a cure for the zombie virus in 3, unless this one is different than the one in the first three games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

In Shadow of the Colossus Agro would sometimes do stubborn horse poo poo like suddenly jank in the wrong direction, especially during battle, or avoid cliff faces. It was actually kind of neat and it never really felt overdone or intrusive.

Not that I'm saying Last Guardian's approach is good, but it is possible to convey "stubborn dumb animal" believably and not having it ruin a good gaming time.

Yeah, it can absolutely be done well, I agree. It sounds like Jim doesn't think The Last Guardian does it well, but a lot of others seem to like it, so it could very well be that his personal tolerance for it is lower than others'.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I love the "oh by the way dead rising 1 was full of bullshit frank made it all up"

I literally cannot believe this.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mak0rz posted:

For some reason I remember Agro acting stubborn on the way to the bosses, but when it was serious time and colossi like Dirge were on your rear end she put on her A-Game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like chuck better than frank anyways

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just found the worst thing.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/482919...f=sr_gallery_45

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Invictus posted:

The last 30 seconds of this video is the worst. Like, don't buy this game the worst. It's supposed to be an epic moment of triumph and the game not only completely whiffs it but whiffs it in a manner that probably set him back a good ways (I don't know how checkpoints work in TLG). It makes both the characters and designers look like idiots and it's the sort of bullshit that just isn't tolerated in games any more so it's also a great example of "feeling old". Sure, cutscenes and prescripted sequences suck, but they also have a 100% success rate.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

For some reason I remember Agro acting stubborn on the way to the bosses, but when it was serious time and colossi like Dirge were on your rear end she put on her A-Game.

Agro was smart enough to object to being driven towards obstacles, which would conflict with players whose idea of "towards" was more flexible.

Whereas that TLG video is like steering Agro towards one path and he decides to randomly take the other, and the other is straight off a cliff.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Grapplejack posted:

I love the "oh by the way dead rising 1 was full of bullshit frank made it all up"

I literally cannot believe this.

Wow they can gently caress off.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
So is DR4 a reimaginging of Dead Rising or is it another game in the timeline? I obviously know very little, but from that video it's the Willamette Memorial Superplex, but it has a Brad and Vicki? The stuff mentioned in the end of 4 doesn't match up with the events of 1, implying a new set of events, and they're a line like "Frank's second book would have done as well as his first." It's the supporting characters and the scene of the finale that make this confusing for me.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

wait what 3 bucks to download a jpeg that is on the site and right there how is this a thing?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

That can't happen, because they found a cure for the zombie virus in 3, unless this one is different than the one in the first three games.

No these are totally new zombies for the third time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

The last 30 seconds of this video is the worst. Like, don't buy this game the worst. It's supposed to be an epic moment of triumph and the game not only completely whiffs it but whiffs it in a manner that probably set him back a good ways (I don't know how checkpoints work in TLG). It makes both the characters and designers look like idiots and it's the sort of bullshit that just isn't tolerated in games any more so it's also a great example of "feeling old". Sure, cutscenes and prescripted sequences suck, but they also have a 100% success rate.

Agro was smart enough to object to being driven towards obstacles, which would conflict with players whose idea of "towards" was more flexible.

Whereas that TLG video is like steering Agro towards one path and he decides to randomly take the other, and the other is straight off a cliff.

The last 30 seconds is him missing a jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

wait what 3 bucks to download a jpeg that is on the site and right there how is this a thing?

More the "this is a poster of a loving funkopop"

• Locked thread