Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gizmojumpjet posted:

You can already do this. Right click the unit > refuel > select tanker automatically.

See! Why didn't I know that. Clearly the developers fault. :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Yooper posted:

Is he still making games? (is he still alive?)

Judging from his website it looks pretty inactive.

Like everyone else with a blog he moved to Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/norm.koger

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

See! Why didn't I know that. Clearly the developers fault. :yikes:

Honestly though, refueling can be a bugaboo. This weekend I was piddling around with a Trumpian response to Iranian bellicosity in the Persian Gulf that I'm calling Operation Golden Lion (do not steal).

Planning a strike with some F-16s out of Yemen, had the F-16s form up near a support patrol of tankers. I assigned the Falcons to the strike mission and watched them transit three-quarters of the way to the target, before hooking a U-ey to go back to refuel. Instead of, you know, topping up before beginning their strike.

I mean sure, I could have manually told them to refuel first, or in the mission window I could have set them to not refuel until using, say, 50% of their fuel instead of the default 25% or whatever. Technically my fault but still aggravating.

War is hell is what I'm trying to say.

Oh, also I found a database entry for Weapon Z attached to Weapon X. Baloogan, remind me how to report bugs in your dumb game I can't stop playing.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh he is a libertarian that is a shocker

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Norm Koger posted:

I once scared some Mexicans a truck full of human trash with a rifle. Gun ownership = Civilization.

:allbuttons:

There are so many things wrong here I don't even know where to start.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 5, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Can we take this to D&D since I have actual groggy questions that are going to be drowned out

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Can we take this to D&D since I have actual groggy questions that are going to be drowned out

No groggy questions are going to be drowned out. We are just noting the politics of a very famous grog game designer.

Not debating it. :fsmug:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
i continuously balk at bruce geryk's (3 moves ahead guy) political tweets but so far ive stayed strong. this isnt a hobby for people who cant let a little open white supremacy slide now and again

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Now I know this isn't the thread for paradox map games, but I've always loved victoria II's political side.

Would love to see a victoria II style take on modern politics.
POP: Yankee, Workers, Consciousness ++

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
im in the afghanistan 11 beta and i just cant bring myself to tell teh guy COIN is complete bullshit

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gizmojumpjet posted:

Honestly though, refueling can be a bugaboo. This weekend I was piddling around with a Trumpian response to Iranian bellicosity in the Persian Gulf that I'm calling Operation Golden Lion (do not steal).

Planning a strike with some F-16s out of Yemen, had the F-16s form up near a support patrol of tankers. I assigned the Falcons to the strike mission and watched them transit three-quarters of the way to the target, before hooking a U-ey to go back to refuel. Instead of, you know, topping up before beginning their strike.

I mean sure, I could have manually told them to refuel first, or in the mission window I could have set them to not refuel until using, say, 50% of their fuel instead of the default 25% or whatever. Technically my fault but still aggravating.

War is hell is what I'm trying to say.

Oh, also I found a database entry for Weapon Z attached to Weapon X. Baloogan, remind me how to report bugs in your dumb game I can't stop playing.

There are some mission settings related to tankers, and we DO have logic about refueling on the outward bound to reduce the instances of U-turns for refueling, use the autoplanner (checkbox in the mission editor thing)! Air to air refueling is absurdly complicated :cry:

DB bugs have their own threads http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3436106 db3k and http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3436158 cwdb

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So I captured enough Spencer rifles to equip an infantry brigade in UG:CW and my initial impression is actually kinda disappointing. The range is the biggest problem. They're a touch better than smoothbore muskets but less than every single rifle.

They do, however, fire three times as fast as normal muskets do.

BTW, the only way to get Spencer (rifles) in the game atm is to capture skirmisher units, which makes a saber cav unit pretty useful.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

dtkozl posted:

i continuously balk at bruce geryk's (3 moves ahead guy) political tweets but so far ive stayed strong. this isnt a hobby for people who cant let a little open white supremacy slide now and again

To be fair I don't think Geryk has yet 'joked' about hunting Mexicans for sport

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
My irl job is staring at a computer all day writing AI that develops complex plans given a set of tasks to accomplish, coordinates various robots to actually perform said tasks, and that is capable of reacting to unexpected changes in environment/tasking in the middle of execution and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to have to come up with a satisfying general solution to aerial refuelling in CMANO.

If CMANO dudes are willing to pay me and down to buy constraint solvers priced per core per computer they'll be running on I'll make three different stealthy versions of aerial refuelling for CMANO and the one the Marines use will take off vertically and it'll definitely be done in a week.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
What CMANO really lacks is some sort of pricing engine that calculates how many millions of dollars it cost you to blow up that loving bunker.

gently caress you, bunker.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

really cmano needs the falcon 4 mission planner

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Forums Terrorist posted:

really cmano needs the falcon 4

Yeah it would be pretty loving rad for CMANO to dynamically generate Falcon terrain and campaigns

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

gizmojumpjet posted:

I found this genuinely funny, maybe because I'm overtired and played this out in my head as though it was the post mission brief. If "hooking a U-ey" isn't already official military parlance then it should be.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I deliberately avoided mentioning this when pointing and laughing at his site firstly because ugh and also because it sometimes feels like this is the only* grognard forum gathering that isn't full of people who ... okay I've settled on the phrase "adopt that mindset". Politically correct like a boss, I am.

*Also really the only grognard forum (not front site, the horrible collection of humanity often hidden under the text "Community" on the front page) I peruse at all, so that's not saying much.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

:allbuttons:

There are so many things wrong here I don't even know where to start.

If only they had 99 more trucks, they could have beaten a Tiger tank.

dtkozl posted:

His twitter handle is SpaceRumsfeld

dtkozl posted:

im in the afghanistan 11 beta and i just cant bring myself to tell teh guy COIN is complete bullshit

The Vietnam 65 engine does require that you "buy in" to the Westmoreland (McNamara?) concept of "hearts and minds" for it to work as a game at all.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Vietnam 65 engine does require that you "buy in" to the Westmoreland (McNamara?) concept of "hearts and minds" for it to work as a game at all.

Its kinda funny how it has a hearts and minds counter and how do you get that to go up? You shoot their fathers and brothers fighting in the insurgency of course!

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

dtkozl posted:

COIN isnt bullshit, the US military is just utterly incapable of properly executing it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gizmojumpjet posted:

What CMANO really lacks is some sort of pricing engine that calculates how many millions of dollars it cost you to blow up that loving bunker.

gently caress you, bunker.

This would own so hard as a sort of after-action report summary that pops up whenever you've completed a scenario.

And then allow it to be modded so instead of listing a dollar amount, it shows you how many elementary schools and hospitals you could have built with that money instead.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

something something Eisenhower.

dtkozl posted:

Its kinda funny how it has a hearts and minds counter and how do you get that to go up? You shoot their fathers and brothers fighting in the insurgency of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huFh760p-MA

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

His twitter handle is SpaceRumsfeld

I don't really have a problem with Geryk's politics. He seems downright reasonable compared to most of the other wargame people I know.

dtkozl posted:

a lot of pretty good wargames are based on complete bullshit like twilight struggle

honestly my problem with those games has more to do with the fact that they feel like supply management sims than anything else.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

dtkozl posted:

I looked at the tweets hoping to find something juicy but they couldn't be more boring milquetoast conservadad.

The only thing that sprung out to me that yes, he actually is a dad and not just some crazy cat guy!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

dtkozl posted:

The problem is probably that it is very difficult to turn into a game because it relies intensely on sentiment, and it very rarely includes modelling of the multiple competing strands of counterinsurgency including well meaning NGOs, multiple overlapping jealous stupid domestic and foreign spy agencies, and an awful colonial police system your fuckwit lieutenants rely on for information despite it probably being the reason for the insurgency in the first place.

Also victory/loss doesn't exist, it's just an event that happened.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mr. Showtime posted:

If CMANO dudes are willing to pay me and down to buy constraint solvers priced per core per computer they'll be running on I'll make three different stealthy versions of aerial refuelling for CMANO and the one the Marines use will take off vertically and it'll definitely be done in a week.

This is the kind of realism I expect from my grog game development.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

jBrereton posted:

The problem is probably that it is very difficult to turn into a game because it relies intensely on sentiment, and it very rarely includes modelling of the multiple competing strands of counterinsurgency including well meaning NGOs, multiple overlapping jealous stupid domestic and foreign spy agencies, and an awful colonial police system your fuckwit lieutenants rely on for information despite it probably being the reason for the insurgency in the first place.

Yeah, even the well-regarded counterinsurgency games don't really model politics in any real sense. It's all about this security framework where politics is "support" or "opposition" only and you just generically do "civil action" to increasse support.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

jBrereton posted:

All this complexity right here plus the complexity of your own domestic political and military situations, rather than some grognardy armchair general "heh dumbass military" smugdog

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

All this complexity right here plus the complexity of your own domestic political and military situations, rather than some grognardy armchair general "heh dumbass military" smugdog
Plus an entire economy that you walk into that doesn't work (or there wouldn't be an insurgency) with probably limited ability to fix it but a bunch of people back home thinking they can rip it off, too!

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
So what's the secret to get updates to games to complete their download from the Matrix FTP site? The TOAW3 update gets to 213/213 meg and then just fails, and the 3 meg patch for John Tillers Waterloo won't even start.

E: Never mind I think I remember this from last time, you've got to use IE. EE: No, it's not. I think I just keep trying until it decides to work. Sweet.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 6, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

dtkozl posted:

"Grab 'em by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow."

(Optional: "Give me your hearts and minds or I'll burn your drat huts down.")

(Optional/TFR: "Two to the heart, one to the mind.")

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I would like to read a good defense of COIN because my entire knowledge of it comes from a few college courses and the war nerd podcast.

I think the most open problem is trying to find successful COIN operations that don't devolve into people arguing over whether something is or isn't counterinsurgency or even a success. As for successes off the top of my head we have what, Israel? the Boer War? Both are problematic because in the first you are talking pure oppression by the other ethnic group in the region and in the latter you have a bunch of tactics that aren't going to play well with gamers because they are not considered war crimes. You look at the board game COIN series and a lot of that just isn't really like the Gallic campaigns by caesar. I guess Philippines was a success.

This follows into the second problem, the fact that "we," the western powers, were doing lots of shady poo poo under the aegis of COIN like collective punishment, forced population migrations, etc. One of the big one is drugs. In Afgan '11 one of safest way to win hearts and minds (get that counter to go up) is to burn Opium fields. Well in nam it was the french and us growing opium and working with the mob to ship it west. In central america in the 80s it was the CIA shipping coke into this country. Rather common knowledge but NOT something the army or games, which tend to cheerlead the army, talk about.

A third issue I have is the lack of nuance when it comes to ethnic divides and exploiting them, both seemingly in the real army and in games. "The Vietnamese" are presented as one group but there were lots of different ethnic groups there and some of them were straight up our allies because they don't like Vietnamese. The problem directly caused the fall of Dien Bien Phu.

I don't want to get too long and I know there are lots of other problems but yeah, I think a lack of openness and honesty are the main issues.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

dtkozl posted:

I would like to read a good defense of COIN because my entire knowledge of it comes from a few college courses and the war nerd podcast.

I think the most open problem is trying to find successful COIN operations that don't devolve into people arguing over whether something is or isn't counterinsurgency or even a success. As for successes off the top of my head we have what, Israel? the Boer War? Both are problematic because in the first you are talking pure oppression by the other ethnic group in the region and in the latter you have a bunch of tactics that aren't going to play well with gamers because they are not considered war crimes. You look at the board game COIN series and a lot of that just isn't really like the Gallic campaigns by caesar. I guess Philippines was a success.

This follows into the second problem, the fact that "we," the western powers, were doing lots of shady poo poo under the aegis of COIN like collective punishment, forced population migrations, etc. One of the big one is drugs. In Afgan '11 one of safest way to win hearts and minds (get that counter to go up) is to burn Opium fields. Well in nam it was the french and us growing opium and working with the mob to ship it west. In central america in the 80s it was the CIA shipping coke into this country. Rather common knowledge but NOT something the army or games, which tend to cheerlead the army, talk about.

A third issue I have is the lack of nuance when it comes to ethnic divides and exploiting them, both seemingly in the real army and in games. "The Vietnamese" are presented as one group but there were lots of different ethnic groups there and some of them were straight up our allies because they don't like Vietnamese. The problem directly caused the fall of Dien Bien Phu.

I don't want to get too long and I know there are lots of other problems but yeah, I think a lack of openness and honesty are the main issues.

I deployed with one of the authors of the new COIN manual as the commander of my infantry battalion and we pretty much exclusively performed COIN operations. A lot of public works poo poo, get people on your side. Remain visible, build relationships, etc. It was very successful and the province we were in was the safest it had ever been during the war. Saw totally bloodless provincial elections in 2008-2009.

His PhD thesis was about using sociological theoretical framework to analyze social networks within insurgencies/terrorist groups to determine a way to disrupt them.

The reality is though that every year a new battalion runs in and you are just as likely (probably more) to get a shithead battalion commander as one that cares about hearts and minds.

The Army is also very much interested in teaching nuance and ethnic divides to its soldiers but the implementation is poo poo. At NTC there are classes given to soldiers on this very subject but often it just gets tasked out to the lowest ranking privates rather than NCOs and officers who might come back and teach their soldiers. There is a failure by leadership to teach the principles of COIN, basically.

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 6, 2016

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Riso posted:

I looked at the tweets hoping to find something juicy but they couldn't be more boring milquetoast conservadad.

The only thing that sprung out to me that yes, he actually is a dad and not just some crazy cat guy!

His American politics are pretty standard Reaganite conservative. Some of the things he links to in support of right/nationalist Polish politics are a bit more out there.

Rule the Waves question - I am trying to change the map colours in the settings but they won't budge from the horrible default yellow and blue. Is there a file that can be edited to force it to change?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dtkozl posted:

This is why I choose Soviets in every wargame I can to crush the fascist menace in every way I know how

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

V for Vegas posted:

His American politics are pretty standard Reaganite conservative. Some of the things he links to in support of right/nationalist Polish politics are a bit more out there.

Rule the Waves question - I am trying to change the map colours in the settings but they won't budge from the horrible default yellow and blue. Is there a file that can be edited to force it to change?

Quick googling and file searching from my copy suggests that the WorldRTW.LYR file is the one you'll have to modify. You can open the file in notepad, and you can spot some actual words (City Names, Countries, etc) but its mostly "random" characters.

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/54111/how-to-explain-what-layer-file-lyr-in-arcgis-desktop-is

quote:

To understand what a layer file is, you need to understand what a layer is (this discussion is very relevant for that: What's the difference between feature class and feature layer?).

A layer (.lyr) file is simply a persistent (file-based) representation of a layer.

Neither contain any actual geographic data, only a reference to the data along with some properties about how to render it (properties for symbology, labeling, etc.).

One thing to be aware of is that if your layer references a database connection that that connection information is stored in the layer file. This can be a very bad thing from a security standpoint. Passing user login credentials around in layer files should be avoided. To avoid storing user names and passwords in layer files, the "Save username and password" box should be unchecked before using an SDE database connection file. See "Connecting to a database" for more information.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Panzeh posted:

a lot of pretty good wargames are based on complete bullshit like twilight struggle

Twilight Struggle is a fantastic abstract game about resource management and bidding. If you try to play it as a Cold War wargame you'll be *very* disappointed.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
If there could be a groggy Cold War game with just half of the 1988 Balance of Power game on the political side I would be pleased immensely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Team Yankee is in 1985