Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
A wall doesn't bother me and usually is easy to deal with, but Titans should be able to collapse it basically instantly and it's super annoying when people set it up at the edge of buildings to shoot at you. A man sized particle wall should fold immediately to an anime mecha. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Imagined posted:

. The only sniper camper I've found in this game I came back after he killed me and broke his loving neck because he was stupid enough to still be in the same spot.

I love executing Snipers. All i want is the grand theft semi-auto execution instead of the default neck snap. The In Your Face one is pretty good, too.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
I'd love some more Titan modes. I love flying around and doing Pilot stuff but my heart belongs to Last Titan Standing. It reminds of Counterstrike for some reason and CS with big stompy robots? Yes please.

In my mind something like the Mechwarrior Solaris matches would be incredible.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

A wall doesn't bother me and usually is easy to deal with, but Titans should be able to collapse it basically instantly and it's super annoying when people set it up at the edge of buildings to shoot at you. A man sized particle wall should fold immediately to an anime mecha. :colbert:

Yeah Battlefield or Rainbow Six Siege style destructible terrain and buildings is all this game is missing. Would get pretty hard to find anywhere to wall run pretty quickly though...

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

i love how much this game reminds me of tribes, i discovered the EPG and ooooh man

now i just need to get faster more consistently, although its really fun to stim as a crutch for the time being, stimming to catch up to someone and then breaking their neck is glorious

e: ROBOT DRUGS

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 5, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

credburn posted:

I'll give that a shot next time I play. Honestly, above everything else, just the wait alone was the worst part of all. It also makes me less inclined to experiment with things; I'm comfortable with the default loadout, but I don't want to wait five minutes and learn my experimental loadout sucks, you know?

If you're coming from a UT04 background, give the EPG a try since it's basically a rocket launcher without the triple shot.

I'd suggest taking the Mastiff to recreate the flak cannon experience but it kind of sucks atm. :(

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Imagined posted:

Yeah Battlefield or Rainbow Six Siege style destructible terrain and buildings is all this game is missing. Would get pretty hard to find anywhere to wall run pretty quickly though...

I think that would gently caress the maps up too much. I meant the pilot ability, A Wall. The particle barrier thing. It should stop small arms but Titan weapons should destroy it immediately. It irritates me greatly.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I think that would gently caress the maps up too much. I meant the pilot ability, A Wall. The particle barrier thing. It should stop small arms but Titan weapons should destroy it immediately. It irritates me greatly.

Yeah, I realize that my reply didn't really match your comment. Still, destructible terrain would be cool, and in the same logic as a mech's 40mm cannon should obliterate a concrete wall.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
PS4 friends: how is your matchmaking experience? Even though my win rate is ~50%, I would say half my matches are completely ridiculous stomps (where the losing team has 25% or less of the winner's score) and another third, while not complete stomps, are still very easy victories for the winner. In fact I would say "balanced" games that feel even are around 15% of my total matches.

The thing is I can watch my team depart from the starting point in the first 10 seconds of the match and know with 90% accuracy whether we're going to win. For whatever reason this game constantly stacks teams with extremely stiff, slow mobility players and that's real bad. Even if you have pinpoint aim (and you don't on consoles) the slow guys just get flanked and destroyed repeatedly.

Honestly I'm to the point where the fun wall-running and my Titan ability (I am pretty decent in a Titan) isn't enough to make up for the fact that I'm getting my butthole turned inside out for at least a third of my matches, and in GG EZ mode another third. This "skill based" matchmaking seems really bad.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that this game feels like Tribes in some ways. One of the things I remember about Tribes was that a really, really skilled player could easily carry a whole team, and this game seems to have some of that. Most of the time when I look at the scoreboard after a match it's like:

Winning Team:
Ubermensch - 600 points
Schmuck 1 - 90 points
Schmuck 2 - 40 points
Schmuck 3 - 30 points
Etc

One or two amazing players and then a bunch who usually can point the barrel the right way in two tries. The winning team is whichever one draws Superman.

Are they going to keep the Angel City 24/7 mode forever? I love the mode and the map but it's a bummer to further divide an already small pool, especially on PC. Having a larger pool of players would presumably help with skill based matchmaking.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 5, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

PS4 friends: how is your matchmaking experience? Even though my win rate is ~50%, I would say half my matches are completely ridiculous stomps (where the losing team has 25% or less of the winner's score) and another third, while not complete stomps, are still very easy victories for the winner. In fact I would say "balanced" games that feel even are around 15% of my total matches.

The thing is I can watch my team depart from the starting point in the first 10 seconds of the match and know with 90% accuracy whether we're going to win. For whatever reason this game constantly stacks teams with extremely stiff, slow mobility players and that's real bad. Even if you have pinpoint aim (and you don't on consoles) the slow guys just get flanked and destroyed repeatedly.

Honestly I'm to the point where the fun wall-running and my Titan ability (I am pretty decent in a Titan) isn't enough to make up for the fact that I'm getting my butthole turned inside out for at least a third of my matches, and in GG EZ mode another third. This "skill based" matchmaking seems really bad.

When I played this weekend I either seemed to carry the team with triple the points of everyone else or we lost tremendously with no way to win. I did have a few games where my team came back around when titans started dropping.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

pakman posted:

I love executing Snipers. All i want is the grand theft semi-auto execution instead of the default neck snap. The In Your Face one is pretty good, too.

Inner. Pieces.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Passed 5000 laser shot kills with the Ion Laser this weekend. :shepface:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Crash Site and Drydock are not in Bounty Hunt mode. I didn't even know the game had other maps till I played some attrition.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Inner. Pieces.

Yeah but until then, I want to steal side arms.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wazzit posted:

Passed 5000 laser shot kills with the Ion Laser this weekend. :shepface:

How the gently caress is 3 days even long enough to do that

edit the more i look at your stats the more i want to give up

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Crash Site and Drydock are not in Bounty Hunt mode. I didn't even know the game had other maps till I played some attrition.

Drydock is in BH for sure, you can shoot at the opposite deposit from across the gap and steal some bounties. I'm pretty sure Crash Site is as well but I'm having trouble remembering where the deposits are on that map.

They definitely don't come up as often as the other maps in the playlist though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

How the gently caress is 3 days even long enough to do that

edit the more i look at your stats the more i want to give up

3 days, 18 hours, 54 minutes played = 90 hours and 54 minutes spent in actual matches.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone else feel like Rodeoing a Titan should be an input? There's so many times when I've been wallrunning and poo poo and a Titan, friendly or otherwise dashes in front of me and kills my momentum because you automatically latch on. Hell, just make it E when you're close enough, that way you could also walljump off a Titan and use them as impromptu walls. That would be cool as gently caress.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Wazzit posted:

Drydock is in BH for sure, you can shoot at the opposite deposit from across the gap and steal some bounties. I'm pretty sure Crash Site is as well but I'm having trouble remembering where the deposits are on that map.

They definitely don't come up as often as the other maps in the playlist though.

Whoa, I apparently have the worst map rotation luck ever.

A few generations in I just assumed they went in the playlist, Bounty Hunt is all I ever play

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Wazzit posted:

Bullshit, I have over 600 games plaed, maybe its bugged on PC, but dry dock has never come up in bounty hunt for me.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

3 days, 18 hours, 54 minutes played = 90 hours and 54 minutes spent in actual matches.

I understand even with that time-frame all i can picture is 11,000 players lined up and geting shot one by one without stopping

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Knifegrab posted:

Bullshit, I have over 600 games plaed, maybe its bugged on PC, but dry dock has never come up in bounty hunt for me.

It exists, but it comes up very, very rarely. Like I've played on it maybe twice.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

I got Drydock mixed up with Black Water Canal, but I'm still pretty sure Drydock is in BH. The first point is in the middle where the ship is at.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

that's almost 1 laser shot kill per minute, lol

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Well they hosed up putting angel city into the normal rotation by having it onyl come up very rarely. I posted a bug to the forum, mentioning I've never seen crash site or dry dock in Bounty Hunt. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Pilots vs Pilots on Angel City is loving amazing.

Dunking on idiot tryhards with my shotgun is amazing.

Game is amazing.

I've stopped using my Volt altogether to regen all the other primaries, and the game went from really fun to ludicrously fun. Don't just use the Volt. Use every gun!

pakman posted:

2-3-2 Combo is the best execution and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Knifegrab posted:

Well they hosed up putting angel city into the normal rotation by having it onyl come up very rarely. I posted a bug to the forum, mentioning I've never seen crash site or dry dock in Bounty Hunt. We'll see if anything comes of it.

I wonder if it's different on other platforms, because I've definitely played lots of games of Crash Site Bounty Hunt.

What I really want to see is better matchmaking, honestly. I had a tough weekend and there's MLG tryhards in every single match I play which makes it unfun. You can't goof around with the Sidewinder/Grapple/Hover ham if LegendaryReaper420 is going to shoot you in the head from 80 meters on a drive-by. You have to play serious kits and that sucks.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just stay out of your stats page, go fast and have fun.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

2-3-2 Combo is the best execution and I will fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

Punching a helmet to pieces is really dope but phasing inside someone to then burst them into mist is better.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
In Battletech fiction, 'mechs are supposed to be fast and nimble and able to fill a unique role apart from infantry or armor. They're supposed to be able to side-step long-ranged fire, and the pilots put on brain-link helmets to keep their mechs balanced in motion. They're able to punch and stomp each other. And yet every dang mechwarrior game plays like you're driving a tank that plays big stomp sounds while it hovers around. Why does a thing supposedly powered by synthetic muscle fibers have a drat throttle? Titanfall does better mechs than any of the mechwarriors. They feel so good and stompy. They're really nimble for something so big and heavy, but they still have that weight. Because they're only part of a more complicated infantry game, they get a chance to show off being totally loving sweet and huge, in a way that an exclusive mech v. mech fight doesn't. Northstar is the exact gauss rifle and jump jets variant that ruined online play in mw3&4 and it's fantastic here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

^burtle posted:

Just stay out of your stats page, go fast and have fun.

The fact that everyone continually preaches "going fast" as the cure for everything in this game is really annoying.

If you're up against better players - and you will be, because this game has really lovely matchmaking - going fast isn't going to help you all that much. They're going fast too, and they have better aim than you. Unless you want to zip around and die constantly and gently caress over 5 other players you have to meet them on their own terms.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The fact that everyone continually preaches "going fast" as the cure for everything in this game is really annoying.

If you're up against better players - and you will be, because this game has really lovely matchmaking - going fast isn't going to help you all that much. They're going fast too, and they have better aim than you. Unless you want to zip around and die constantly and gently caress over 5 other players you have to meet them on their own terms.

Interesting point but have you considered going even faster?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Knifegrab posted:

Interesting point but have you considered going even faster?

This is not an emptyquote

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

I wonder if it's different on other platforms, because I've definitely played lots of games of Crash Site Bounty Hunt.

What I really want to see is better matchmaking, honestly. I had a tough weekend and there's MLG tryhards in every single match I play which makes it unfun. You can't goof around with the Sidewinder/Grapple/Hover ham if LegendaryReaper420 is going to shoot you in the head from 80 meters on a drive-by. You have to play serious kits and that sucks.

Serious kits? gently caress off dude you can do well with (almost) any loving gun and ability in any combination. Git gud.

If you want to learn how to be fast and good at the same time, start using phase shift with the EVA, learn how to engage people in the range that favors you. Wallrun, slide. All. the. time. You'll learn how to aim when you're moving fast too, or you'll die.

Also hover is a trap. Don't use hover.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I didn't realize how fast Northstar is with the triple dash plus Hover. Flying around maps and poking enemy titans in the back with charged railgun shots was actually really fun. I've unlocked every Titan's level 9 kit except Northstar and Legion.

Unfortunately I think Northstar is even more crippled than Scorch when it comes to dealing with pilots. Yeah you can try and nail them with the uncharged shot but for the most part you have to run the gently caress away if a pilot is attacking you when you're in a Northstar.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Dunking on idiot tryhards with my shotgun is amazing.

If you're talking about the EVA-8, then YOU are the tryhard :D If you're talking about the Mastiff, np.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

a shameful boehner posted:

I didn't realize how fast Northstar is with the triple dash plus Hover. Flying around maps and poking enemy titans in the back with charged railgun shots was actually really fun. I've unlocked every Titan's level 9 kit except Northstar and Legion.

Unfortunately I think Northstar is even more crippled than Scorch when it comes to dealing with pilots. Yeah you can try and nail them with the uncharged shot but for the most part you have to run the gently caress away if a pilot is attacking you when you're in a Northstar.

Ooh you're so wrong about that last part, and you're 80% to the solution. Northstar is an enraged weasel fueled by pilot blood and pilot tears, it's just that his main anti-pilot weapon is his big robot fist. With triple dash plus hover plus PUNCH, you can kill almost any pilot in grenade launcher range in two seconds. You can swat them off rooftops and bridges while flying, you can punch them through windows, you can sprint faster than they can wall-run. Lots of little guys expect you to run away from their fierce grenade launchers and won't expect you to dash forwards, soak one shot to the face, and splatter them. Northstar is fast and has a deceptively long reach.

The cluster missile also explodes with a pretty big radius, then keeps exploding in that radius for a while. You can flush guys out from sneaky corners with it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

a shameful boehner posted:

One heads up about the triple dash, it makes each individual dash take longer to regenerate. (Numbers are approximate from reddit)

1 dash takes 6 seconds to refill
2 dashes takes 12 seconds
3 dashes takes 24 second

This only affects north star and ronin, because they're the only titans who can get three dashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Also hover is a trap. Don't use hover.

No way, i get easily 2/3 of the kills i go for when i hover, no one expects it. It's also a great way to peek out and hit a titan from a weird place.