Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Macaluso posted:

I think this person was mad that I didn't pick a second healer, instead of Phara

If you want to stick to the 2 dps, 2 tank, 2 healer thing so badly go play competitive :shrug:

I mean, they were just warning you that because of your character and the healer your team has, don't get mad if you don't get a lot of attention and die to soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elliotw2 posted:

I mean, they were just warning you that because of your character and the healer your team has, don't get mad if you don't get a lot of attention and die to soldier.

He wasn't though, he was saying that because he wanted me to switch. I'm fully aware of the limits Ana has, and I was on a Phara anyway who is hard to target for her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What's going on with PTR Symmetra anyway? Are people expecting her to hit live soon as-is, or is she likely to get nerfed a bit, or do we have any idea?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

He wasn't though, he was saying that because he wanted me to switch. I'm fully aware of the limits Ana has, and I was on a Phara anyway who is hard to target for her.

If they can't aim maybe. :smugdog:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they can't aim maybe. :smugdog:

I mean yeah. I can't play the sniper mode for Ana for poo poo :v:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Rand Brittain posted:

What's going on with PTR Symmetra anyway? Are people expecting her to hit live soon as-is, or is she likely to get nerfed a bit, or do we have any idea?

Given PTR's track record, we'll get PTR Symmetra in live either by tomorrow or in a month, and most likely either unchanged or only slightly nerfed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I don't really see the problem here. Congrats, on making someone "mad" I guess?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't really see the problem here. Congrats, on making someone "mad" I guess?

I... wasn't trying to make anyone mad? :confused: I didn't post that to be like lol look at this guy gettin so mad, the point was that I think that trying to force the 2 dps, 2 tank, 2 healer thing is silly in quickplay. Like I literally just picked Phara once the healer slot was filled since both tank and healer slots were covered and then he said that to me. I just thought it was a bit ridiculous is all

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I... wasn't trying to make anyone mad? :confused: I didn't post that to be like lol look at this guy gettin so mad, the point was that I think that trying to force the 2 dps, 2 tank, 2 healer thing is silly in quickplay. Like I literally just picked Phara once the healer slot was filled since both tank and healer slots were covered and then he said that to me. I just thought it was a bit ridiculous is all

I mean forget comp team structures for a second, if your team doesn't have a second guy to heal that guy who's healing the rest of your team, the game's going to get a whole lot less fun every time that guy gets dropped.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
2/2/2 is the default comp for a reason and that reason is that the dps players are generally bad enough that adding a third doesn't help anyway.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean forget comp team structures for a second, if your team doesn't have a second guy to heal that guy who's healing the rest of your team, the game's going to get a whole lot less fun every time that guy gets dropped.
Yeah. Games with only one healer are generally more frustrating. As I'm often the only healer, I know it's more stressful for them too. People spamming "need healing!" when you're walking back from spawn is no fun. That's probably what the Ana's problem was.

If anyone asks for two tanks in quick play, feel free to laugh at their silly comp mindset though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Honestly the read I get from that is that the guy's been yelled at before for not carrying everyone as the single healer on the team and wanted to preempt it this match

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As the lone healer, if you're not Lucio then you've got to play some pretty intense triage, and if you ARE Lucio then you're gonna tear your hair out whenever your team decides to be in 5 different places. It almost always sucks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Supercar Gautier posted:

As the lone healer, if you're not Lucio then you've got to play some pretty intense triage, and if you ARE Lucio then you're gonna tear your hair out whenever your team decides to be in 5 different places. It almost always sucks.

This morning I decided to play a placement match as lucio and three people from a four stack told me to kill myself (and go drink bleach and drive into a wall) because "I didn't ult once" and that's why we lost

- two of them were constantly solo in the backfield away from the point and dying
- I ulted three times that match except, yknow, you have to be near lucio for the ult to actually take effect
- the first time I used it nothing happened because when I asked people to push they didn't, so the ult was wasted. the next two times I used it I waited for people to push first and then nothing happened because they didn't bother to actually continue pushing

I miss being able to not soloqueue

edit: oh I forgot the best part, one of them decided to yell at me because I kept "trying to kill people" which I think was because I was pushing into the point and assuming my team would follow + instead he just sat back and tsked while he did nothing by our spawn

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 4, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Also, you can't heal dead teammates who die more with one healer so you get less ult charge which makes you even less useful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also if you instalock Hanzo or Widow every comp match maybe you should be playing Counterstrike or some other game?

I mean I'll take the free move back up to Platinum, but man that just seems like a great way to poison every game you're in.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

2/2/2 is the default comp for a reason and that reason is that the dps players are generally bad enough that adding a third doesn't help anyway.

I won an Ilios placement match last night where my team was Zen (me), Dva, then a 4-stack running Mercy/Tracer/Reaper and a guy switching between Hanzo and Mei. Granted Tracer and Reaper are both great on KOTH, but that was one of the most shocking 3-0 stomps I've ever been on the winning side for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Macaluso posted:

There is Arcade mode for you to mess around in and play whatever you want. I feel like in QP, you or whoever else should at least make an effort to put your team in a position to win since it's a casual form of competitive. Playing with only one healer puts you at significant disadvantage, more so if the team is running a meta comp.

flatluigi posted:

This morning I decided to play a placement match as lucio and three people from a four stack told me to kill myself (and go drink bleach and drive into a wall) because "I didn't ult once" and that's why we lost

- two of them were constantly solo in the backfield away from the point and dying
- I ulted three times that match except, yknow, you have to be near lucio for the ult to actually take effect
- the first time I used it nothing happened because when I asked people to push they didn't, so the ult was wasted. the next two times I used it I waited for people to push first and then nothing happened because they didn't bother to actually continue pushing

I miss being able to not soloqueue

edit: oh I forgot the best part, one of them decided to yell at me because I kept "trying to kill people" which I think was because I was pushing into the point and assuming my team would follow + instead he just sat back and tsked while he did nothing by our spawn

In a QP solo queue match the other day, I had a S2 gold/S1 rank 48 Winston player tell me my Ana was trash because I nanoboosted a Hanzo. I know he's not an ideal choice, ever, but it was only me and him on the last part of Dorado on attack, only a few meters from winning, fighting against 4 members of the enemy team. The two of us were trying to keep the Overtime meter contested while everyone was respawning and the Hanzo was dying. What else was I supposed to do gold SR48 player?! :ohdear: [edit] I was the only healer too. The Widow on my team switched to Lucio moments before the 'Defeat' text came on screen, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 5, 2016

Convicted Lovebot
Jan 29, 2011

teagone posted:

There is Arcade mode for you to mess around in and play whatever you want. I feel like in QP, you or whoever else should at least make an effort to put your team in a position to win since it's a casual form of competitive. Playing with only one healer puts you at significant disadvantage, more so if the team is running a meta comp.

The meta is helpful when matchmaking gives you a team that conforms to it. If you get 3 tank mains or 3 DPS mains, it's often better for people to play what they're actually good at if you want to win. The meta exists and is created by coordinated six stacks (they're also playing mechanically at the highest level but that's less relevant). In solo queue, duo queue or essentially anything with pubbies in it conforming to the meta can mean making your Plat Roadhog play like a Gold Lucio. It can be useful sometimes, but often it only makes a game changing impact if the person playing offclass isn't doing well or there's someone of significantly higher SR on the team to make up for their reduced performance. This is from my perspective as someone who's pretty much only good at (in terms of playing at my skill rank) one hero, and a solid tier or two lower playing most other heroes.

Also I treat QP as free practice mode because the queue is much shorter than No Limits (and 1HL is easier to play against). Also because there's a pretty decent chance people like you are on both teams, so I can essentially gently caress around and practice in a fairly realistic environment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Convicted Lovebot posted:

The meta is helpful when matchmaking gives you a team that conforms to it. If you get 3 tank mains or 3 DPS mains, it's often better for people to play what they're actually good at if you want to win. The meta exists and is created by coordinated six stacks (they're also playing mechanically at the highest level but that's less relevant). In solo queue, duo queue or essentially anything with pubbies in it conforming to the meta can mean making your Plat Roadhog play like a Gold Lucio. It can be useful sometimes, but often it only makes a game changing impact if the person playing offclass isn't doing well or there's someone of significantly higher SR on the team to make up for their reduced performance. This is from my perspective as someone who's pretty much only good at (in terms of playing at my skill rank) one hero, and a solid tier or two lower playing most other heroes.

Also I treat QP as free practice mode because the queue is much shorter than No Limits (and 1HL is easier to play against). Also because there's a pretty decent chance people like you are on both teams, so I can essentially gently caress around and practice in a fairly realistic environment.

I also view QP as essentially a practice mode, which why I think "mains" should sometimes make an effort to branch out and try to play something else that benefits the team. Sure, if 3 tank mains and 3 DPS mains get paired up, they could play their optimal performing characters and still come out on top. Plenty of variables involved in that happening. I'm just advocating that in the event that yes, even if your plat Roadhog player is a poo poo tier Lucio and doesn't play that character well, he or she should still play Lucio if there are already tanks and no one else is willing or is too stubborn to switch. I figure that does two things: the player is expanding their hero pool a bit, AND they are also getting the practice in with a comp that statistically might have a higher chance of winning.

That said, I also realize people want to play what they want regardless of the mode. I'm not some meta comp nazi about this notion of forcing anyone to play 2 support comp, or bitching about it if your team doesn't, heh. I just feel in general, it's a good attitude to have to placate your teammates by switching to a character that benefits the team, even if you're not really good at playing it. I play Reinhardt in QP sometimes, even though I'm loving terrible with every tank class, but I still have fun :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 5, 2016

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

My god.. just somehow caught fire and shot up from 2620 to 3010 in one continuous winstreak. But I think I burned out the decision-making part of my brain doing it because I started playing like utter trash immediately afterwards

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also if you instalock Hanzo or Widow every comp match maybe you should be playing Counterstrike or some other game?

I mean I'll take the free move back up to Platinum, but man that just seems like a great way to poison every game you're in.

This doesn't stop even with masters players. Had a guy switch to widowmaker after the first round was lost (it was loving close too) and refuse to switch even though we won the second one. At least i'm mid diamond and don't take hits down to plat anymore (even though i love playing against plat and lower, its so fun)

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

In S2 I got placed at 2752, got up to 3010 and let it decay to a season final of 3000. I just now did my S3 placement matches, solo queue, mainly with Ana, 8 wins 2 losses later I'm placed at 3006 which I'm pretty satisfied with.

Did a few QP games afterwards with a few buddies and got an Ana potg on kings row attack, feels good man :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Smiles posted:

Did a few QP games afterwards with a few buddies and got an Ana potg on kings row attack, feels good man :)

Did your POTG involve a biotic grenade, or did you just own faces with your rifle. Grandma sniper is the best. This was my first and only Ana POTG lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aflTAYYakE&t=6s

Funnily enough, it was during a solo queue competitive match where all my pubbie teammates coordinated and we won. It was such a refreshing experience.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 5, 2016

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Went 6-4 in placement, got 2840. Since I ended S2 around there I'm happy.

Then I got diamond (for the first time ever) last night after a good win streak. Kind of weird that I made my goal so early in the season though, haha. Time to go back to QP and mash genji or something :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nihilarian posted:

You ever manage to get a draw on a match where you're up by 7 and a half minutes?

poo poo I've managed to lose one of those but it was QP so it really only mattered to like 3 people in the group.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
the best 3v3 group is Roadhog/D.va/Soldier(/Bastion)

I realize Bastion may be a disputed pick, but if you are a bastion that doesn't sit in one spot and knows that you should always jump switch then you're good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I only got the rapid discord achievement last night, after like 50+ hours of playing Zen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kashuno posted:

the best 3v3 group is Roadhog/D.va/Soldier(/Bastion)

I realize Bastion may be a disputed pick, but if you are a bastion that doesn't sit in one spot and knows that you should always jump switch then you're good.
bastion/rein/mercy is at least ok and is also miserable to play against

by the time you manage to make any headway against rein's shield while bastion is always trying to mow you down mercy probably has rez and life is hell

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

IronicDongz posted:

by the time you manage to make any headway against rein's shield while bastion is always trying to mow you down mercy probably has rez and life is hell

Road, soldier and ana will make quick work of that . Road and soldier can break reins shield in less than 10 seconds (give or take a couple), from there its a hook, kill rein, clean up situation

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 5, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

Imo this doesn't really work because if any piece of it gets picked quickly it's hard to recover.

last night I had a 1v1 Roadhog that went to the point where we both got ult.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played this briefly when it came out, but stopped before they added Competitive. I just came back and did my 10 placement matches, and it's put me at 2600. I'm only level 32, and everyone in my games has like multiple stars around their names, which I assume means they've played a whole shitload more than me. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth - are there any rough guides or tips for competitive play, other than 'choose a good team comp'? Someone was raging at me earlier because I didn't quickly switch to Reaper for a lone overtime defense (presumably because he can eek out an extra few seconds of overtime with his invulnerability?)

Little tricks like that would be immensely useful.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 5, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Bardeh posted:

I played this briefly when it came out, but stopped before they added Competitive. I just came back and did my 10 placement matches, and it's put me at 2600. I'm only level 32, and everyone in my games has like multiple stars around their names, which I assume means they've played a whole shitload more than me. I'm feeling a bit out of my depth - are there any rough guides or tips for competitive play, other than 'choose a good team comp'? Someone was raging at me earlier because I didn't quickly switch to Reaper for a lone overtime defense (presumably because he can eek out an extra few seconds of overtime with his invulnerability?)

Little tricks like that would be immensely useful.

I was pretty much in exactly the same position as you last month. Try and get good with a a couple of DPS, Supports and Tanks so you can fill any gap. Don't let people raging bother you, because people will cry and blame anything and everything except themselves. Little tips and tricks come over time, it's best to have solid fundamentals and to play conservatively. It won't take too long to find a preferred role and what it means to be out of position, when to fall back, when a good time to use your ult is etc.

Lucio is a great no-pressure hero that can fit into any lineup, is simple to play, and gives you plenty of opportunity to observe stuff as well. Plus nobody will ever blame you for poo poo, at least in my experience. You're almost invisible.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just get used to basic comps and play (you can't go wrong with rein zar for tanks, soldier mccree for dps and ana lucio for healing).

If you get used to playing all six of the above heroes, you can fit into any team. Don't worry about comp, the idea is that it will place you where games won't be easy but won't be insurmountable. Matchmaker can't get you to that spot unless you play.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
"Matchmaker can't get you there is a day."

I've never played a game enough to give a Matchmaker enough of a chance to place me correctly until Rocket Leage and Overwatch. After about a hundred games or so of both I was getting consistently fun games.

With that said I finished season 2 at 2755. In my matches for S3 I went 6-4 with two of those loses being 100% the fault of having a dipshit on my team (for real, I was on a team with a Reinhart who talked about onions and charged into the other team. That's it. He charged, died, talked about onions till he respawned, theN repeated his antics). I placed at 2400 and the matches I'm in are a cake walk. I'm looking forward to ranking up and playing with and against better people.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

But how were the onions?

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
A little salty from the sound of it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
When is the Christmas event?

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

RC Cola posted:

When is the Christmas event?

I was hoping tomorrow, but most people seem to think it will be the 13th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Christabel posted:

I was hoping tomorrow, but most people seem to think it will be the 13th.

The latest Heroes of the Storm PTR notes say that their xmas event will start next week, so maybe? I dunno if Bliz keeps their holiday stuff in sync across games