Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

funimation is here to save anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There was this little thing she did in one of the episodes of Super, where she pulls a complete 180 of her own character and it kinda comes across that it is an act she puts on to motivate Goku.

I thought it was the most humanizing thing I've seen about Chichi.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Blockhouse posted:

now I want to rewatch resurrection f in english

"all hail vegeta, prince of no one"

I've seen both of the Funimation "Super" movies (really they're the last Dragon Ball Z movies, I assume any new ones will be branded as Super) and it's well worth a watch, some of the dialogue is done really well, mostly comedy stuff with the Pilaf gang, Trunks and Goten, but also Frieza's stuff, with all his fancy words (which even confuse Sorbet a couple of times)

Someone should do a revised Resurrection in F that splices in Ginyu and perhaps reworks things so you have Vegeta training with Whis first.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My favorite Japanese King Kai thing: His character is flailing and screaming and getting all pointy-teeth, and his voice just sounds like regular bored talking. King Kai is a treasure.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

My favorite Japanese King Kai thing: His character is flailing and screaming and getting all pointy-teeth, and his voice just sounds like regular bored talking. King Kai is a treasure.

yeah, its sooooo bad. i read online that the voice actor is literally this half dead old gently caress that they were basically shuffling in and out of the studio like in weekend at bernie's

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

thread posted:

VA talk.

It might be worth noting for the "we hate Funimation" people if they're unfamiliar, the American voice actors really hate the bad parts of the dub too. The TeamFourStar dubs are their favorite things in the world because TFS can make fun of and redo stuff they're not allowed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j2mBle5_JM

...but when the choice was between "pay bills" or "record dumb filler episodes", they chose to grab the mic and scream like they meant it rather than phoning it in. And that's pretty cool.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I got my wife into Kai while she was pregnant, and now that she's had the baby, she wanted to see what was next. We got sick of waiting for Buu-Kai, so we opted for plain old DBZ Buu Saga. Holy loving poo poo. It was So. Goddamn. SLOW. Entire episodes of people punching the pink goo monster, continuing to do nothing over and over and over, failing to see that maybe, just maybe, punching him isn't the path to victory. You really start to see some of the inconsistencies between animation studios when you binge-watch it.

And the post-Buu stuff was excruciating and I'm pretty sure I'd never seen it before. "Goku defeats the planet-destroying pink goo monster, but what will he do about this dinosaur egg?!"

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 5, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

New Leaf posted:

punching the pink goo monster

Hurr-hurr.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Just like with chi-chi.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Law Cheetah posted:

yeah, its sooooo bad. i read online that the voice actor is literally this half dead old gently caress that they were basically shuffling in and out of the studio like in weekend at bernie's

I think theres a different guy now.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
If you prefer the constipated, 'cartoon tough guy' voices and the droning, incessant synth music of the US dub to the japanese audio there's something seriously wrong with you.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Spidder posted:

If you prefer the constipated, 'cartoon tough guy' voices and the droning, incessant synth music of the US dub to the japanese audio there's something seriously wrong with you.

I speak english but dont speak japanese does it help if thats why i prefer english

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spidder posted:

I have a serious soft spot for Chris Sabat's Mr. Piccolo voice, but that's about it. World's best Green Dad :kimchi:

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
There is a thing called 'subtitles' where you can understand what the cartoon men are saying, while also listening to the audio of the original work, and not some toy company's first try at dubbing anime with inept actors, awful jokes and terrible music.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Spidder posted:

There is a thing called 'subtitles' where you can understand what the cartoon men are saying, while also listening to the audio of the original work, and not some toy company's first try at dubbing anime with inept actors, awful jokes and terrible music.

The US dub music unironically sounds better than the uninspired orchestral tracks with poo poo audio quality of the Japanese one.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Most who prefer English probably watched it on TV after school as kids and had no other ways to access ROCK THE DRAGON BALL Z.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I've never really liked the Kikuchi music myself. His stuff doesn't really do anything for me.

Say what you will about his ethics but Yamamoto's music was probably my favorite.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

I have a serious soft spot for Chris Sabat's Mr. Piccolo voice, but that's about it. World's best Green Dad :kimchi:

Dunno... I didn't grow up with the US dub but loved Dragonball nonetheless. I was exposed to it as an adult and thought it was a joke at first. The voices and music were seriously grating. Nothing can convince me that this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHAALKCb40

is better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVJq_6_aP4

there's not a single thing about this scene that the FUNi version didn't ruin.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
It's super hosed up to me that sometime words are said in a language other than glorious Nihongo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's super hosed up to me that sometime words are said in a language other than glorious Nihongo.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spidder posted:

Dunno... I didn't grow up with the US dub but loved Dragonball nonetheless. I was exposed to it as an adult and thought it was a joke at first. The voices and music were seriously grating. Nothing can convince me that this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHAALKCb40

is better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVJq_6_aP4

there's not a single thing about this scene that the FUNi version didn't ruin.

Yeah I'm not trying to argue in favor of the English dub ITT. I love the Japanese audio. I also love the stupid, gruff Piccolo voice in the English dub, though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

[Whatever the japanese for "same" is]

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Norio Wakamoto is a treasure and this scene rules. :cool:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm glad there's so many different versions of Dragon Ball for us all to enjoy.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

"Unmei No Hi ~ Tamashii Tai Tamashii" is a good song but it feels a little out of place in that scene to be honest. I remember someone or the other (probably Daizenshuu EX) bitching about how that dub "ruined" that Gohan's SSJ2 transformation and how much better and beautiful the original Japanese audio was, looking it up online, and being extremely underwhelmed.

Maybe it's just the weird synth guitar strumming intro.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

[Whatever the japanese for "same" is]

It's "shark" :same:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

If only we could combine them into one super-version. Perhaps one that lasts a half-hour or so.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yes that's EXACTLY it. The spoken language. Not a matter of quality, taste or tone or anything.

quote:

Yeah I'm not trying to argue in favor of the English dub ITT. I love the Japanese audio. I also love the stupid, gruff Piccolo voice in the English dub, though.

Piccolo's US voice sounds forced and silly to me. It's great when TFS mocks it but for an actual dub it's embarassing...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I can't find that comic that talks about how all pop culture objectively peaked when you the reader were 12, but perhaps which language is best is similar

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How TFS handles Gohan's transformation is going to sell goddamn everything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gohan was always lame anyway

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I'm not, people should only like the version I like.

Which is my custom version: Granny Goku, Japanese Vegeta, English Yamcha, Portuguese Krillin and all the music is dubstep.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I wonder if the dub-deniers realize they are speaking the filthy barbarian tongue right now! :eyepop: :pwn:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

How TFS handles Gohan's transformation is going to sell goddamn everything.

I'm calling it, Android 16 is gonna be like, "Don't worry, Gohan, I will always be there" *stomp*
and then it's gonna show a montage of every time Goku left, with O Fortuna blasting in the background.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder if the dub-deniers realize they are speaking the filthy barbarian tongue right now! :eyepop: :pwn:

Only people who are English as a secondary language but typing in English are actually posting in dub, so it's fine!!!!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Only people who are English as a secondary language but typing in English are actually posting in dub!!!!!

Minähän en mitään dubbia kyllä postaa

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

So many hot garbage opinions in this thread, the main one being "this is a thing I dont like therefore it is actually bad".

The ocean dub superior

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Honestly, if you aren't breaking into your local mall at least once a week to destroy all the english audio only anime DVDs, you aren't a true "otaku" (japanese for samurai)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

dr.acula posted:

So many hot garbage opinions in this thread, the main one being "this is a thing I dont like therefore it is actually bad".

The ocean dub superior

Is that the one that injected in the idea that Bardock was a "brilliant scientist" who invented the fake moon technique for no reason except that they felt like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Was there really a need for a different version, though? I mean, it's not like it's an anime full of japanese cultural references that would fly over western folks' heads or anything. It was already primed and ready for a western audience without any 'three eyed cowboys', 'brilliant scientists' and everyone sounding like a Wrestlemania character.

Also, it may have seemed like a good idea marketing-wise at the time. But in the long run they've shot themselves in the foot. Now there's an entire generation of DBZ fans (the Absalon crowd) that are under the impression that the franshice is something different than what it actually is, and as a result hate Super.

Spidder fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 5, 2016

• Locked thread