Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EwokEntourage posted:

Prosecutors agreed to a manslaughter charge as well
That's a lot more maddening than the mistrial TBH.

Keeshhound posted:

I heard good things about it, but didn't want to have to actually subject myself to her voice any more than I had to. Is it worth it?
No. he doesn't show enough bite to tear at the seams of her worldview. He keeps repeating himself while she demands normalization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

How much evidence does someone need to convict a cop of murder, since choking them to death on camera while gasping "I can't breath" doesn't count, and neither does shooting a running old man in the back on camera and then attempting to plant a taser on him.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Honestly, I was glad they included manslaughter as a potential charge in this case. Murder charges are clearly considered overreach when you look at situations like Gray, Garner, Bland, etc.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Morby posted:

Honestly, I was glad they included manslaughter as a potential charge in this case. Murder charges are clearly considered overreach when you look at situations like Gray, Garner, Bland, etc.

Yeah, and hopefully successful convictions at all help normalize the idea of police being found guilty.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta love how white liberals are still shouting up and down about identity politics like white people aren't the undisputed champions of that poo poo.

Jim Crow? Identity politics.
Slavery? Identity politics.
Desegregation? Identity politics.

Hell, Trump was all about identity politics.

But you know, the minorities need to give it up when it so clearly worked when you actually put out a message that resonates with the identities that you want to reach, like Trump did.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Lightning Knight posted:

That's super lovely.

I mean at least it's just one guy and not old school "they deliberated for five minutes and came back unanimously not guilty" like in the old days. Still blows though. :negative:

If they mistrial they can retry can't they?

Keep in mind even if he gets a mistrial here, A.) it goes back to a new jury, and B.) he still has federal charges pending.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea they will try it to an all new jury.

The juror apparently said he can't vote not guilty but he also couldn't tel the family of the victim that his killer is going free

People need to understand that "not guilty" is not the same as "innocent". There's a reason we use the specific phrases that we do!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Who What Now posted:

People need to understand that "not guilty" is not the same as "innocent". There's a reason we use the specific phrases that we do!

??? Not guilty means you are legally innocent. It might mean something different in the court of public opinion but it means the same legally. Either way, not trying to derail this thread

zegermans posted:

How much evidence does someone need to convict a cop of murder, since choking them to death on camera while gasping "I can't breath" doesn't count, and neither does shooting a running old man in the back on camera and then attempting to plant a taser on him.

Yea incredibly depressing and frustrating

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

negromancer posted:

Gotta love how white liberals are still shouting up and down about identity politics like white people aren't the undisputed champions of that poo poo.

But you know, the minorities need to give it up when it so clearly worked when you actually put out a message that resonates with the identities that you want to reach, like Trump did.

I guess they figure that minorities are going to vote Democrat anyways. Also it's basically them lashing out at everybody but themselves, similar to Dan Savage and the prop 8 vote.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

EwokEntourage posted:

??? Not guilty means you are legally innocent. It might mean something different in the court of public opinion but it means the same legally. Either way, not trying to derail this thread

Legal innocence isn't the same as actual innocence. Both are recognized categories under the law.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

I guess they figure that minorities are going to vote Democrat anyways. Also it's basically them lashing out at everybody but themselves, similar to Dan Savage and the prop 8 vote.

Yet the mythical lower class whites who voted for Trump are not identity politics :iiam:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

negromancer posted:

White, cis, stright, "Christian," menn this country are taught to think that they are the clear default of humanity therefore anyone addressing someone other than them is violating the natural order. It's the same willful blindness that lets Trump and the rest of the Republicans get away with calling all the bigots without question.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Judge in the Keith Scott/Michael Slager trial denied the mistrial request.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/12/05/judge-rejects-mistrial-request-cop-who-shot-walter-scott/94992510/

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

From the article:

"Slager was near tears last week when he testified he pulled over Scott's 1991 Mercedes for a broken tail light on April 4, 2015. Scott ran away, and Slager said a scuffle ensued after he pursued Scott on foot. Slager said Scott attempted to wrest away the officer's Taser and that he shot Scott out of fear for his own life.

A bystander's cellphone video, which begins seconds before Slager started shooting, shows Scott fleeing as Slager fires eight shots. Scott was hit three times in the back, once in the buttocks and once on the ear."

Let's of course not mention he's on video planting that taser.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He feared for his life being found guilty of murder or losing his job.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

zegermans posted:

From the article:

"Slager was near tears last week when he testified he pulled over Scott's 1991 Mercedes for a broken tail light on April 4, 2015. Scott ran away, and Slager said a scuffle ensued after he pursued Scott on foot. Slager said Scott attempted to wrest away the officer's Taser and that he shot Scott out of fear for his own life.

A bystander's cellphone video, which begins seconds before Slager started shooting, shows Scott fleeing as Slager fires eight shots. Scott was hit three times in the back, once in the buttocks and once on the ear."

Let's of course not mention he's on video planting that taser.

"Feared for his life" even though the man was running in the OPPOSITE direction and was unarmed. Ugh. I'm really hoping some justice is done here.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

10 Beers posted:

"Feared for his life" even though the man was running in the OPPOSITE direction and was unarmed. Ugh. I'm really hoping some justice is done here.

He could have turned and charged was the justification used. There is no bottom to this pit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The farther someone gets away from you the more distance they have to get their speed up to charge you. Would you rather be hit by a freight train that had 1' or 500' to get up to speed? 100% self defense.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I always like how "turning and charging" is reported in the media like a valid threat to someone's life, as if a black human being is a mindless bull chasing after a matador.

Actually that's a bad analogy, bullfighting gets more negative attention than lynching of black people by police.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
He was actually going to run around the world at the super speed black people are known for and attack that policeman from behind.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
If they sit with their hands up it could be a ploy to lull the officer into a false sense of security. Kill them

If they run it could be to turn and charge. Kill them

If they have any object on or near their person it could be a gun. Kill them

-officer safety training

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look at successful defenses against Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. You can get away with murdering a black person as long as you paint them as a mindless rage golem. And police are allowed to just dump that paint all over.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When cops get off in cases like that, I'm genuinely curious what the judge and jury think.

-Are they actually seriously convince the murder was justified and everything is above board?
-Do they think they've been convinced by reasonable fair evidence but have deep racist beliefs and cop worship that lets them interpret the evidence and arguments in a way that totally sides with the police while they can lie to them selves that the trial was fair?
-They don't really give a poo poo about the law or evidence and will always do anything they can to support their brave boys in blue and their war against dangerous thugs?

I'm guessing a mix of the last two?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
100% the last one would be my wager.

If it wasn't such a cliche from being in a movie, I'd say some lawyers need to be dragging out the "pretend the victim was white" argument from A Time To Kill in cases like this.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Baronjutter posted:

When cops get off in cases like that, I'm genuinely curious what the judge and jury think.

-Are they actually seriously convince the murder was justified and everything is above board?
-Do they think they've been convinced by reasonable fair evidence but have deep racist beliefs and cop worship that lets them interpret the evidence and arguments in a way that totally sides with the police while they can lie to them selves that the trial was fair?
-They don't really give a poo poo about the law or evidence and will always do anything they can to support their brave boys in blue and their war against dangerous thugs?

I think it must, in general, mostly be the last one though if someone's passed a note to the judge saying they can't in good conscious convict someone who's on tape shooting someone in the back and planting evidence on them they must be racist as gently caress.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just don't get when the cops admit to panicking and being put into a situation that might be hostile as if it's not part of the job. Do Firefighters complain that they have to fight fires on their job?

Also I've seen people say if we start convicting cops that all cops everywhere will strike and give up and that'll make things worse, so a few people dying to keep cops happy is okay for them.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

biracial bear for uncut posted:

100% the last one would be my wager.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I think it must, in general, mostly be the last one

I wouldn't quite put it that way.

It's that they have such internalized racism that they view a black male as an inherent threat and place more value on the life of a white police officer. The evidence is immaterial; it's justified in their minds to be mortally afraid of a black man who is running away.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Welp mistrial

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/805878063397486592

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

bobjr posted:

I just don't get when the cops admit to panicking and being put into a situation that might be hostile as if it's not part of the job. Do Firefighters complain that they have to fight fires on their job?

Also I've seen people say if we start convicting cops that all cops everywhere will strike and give up and that'll make things worse, so a few people dying to keep cops happy is okay for them.

And when the police in NYC stopped enforcing the law outside of serious felonies the crime rate plummeted. As in, calls to the police also fell as well. It's almost like the police in some places actually cause crime to happen.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

bobjr posted:

The special ed assistant who was shot was absolutely chilling.

"Why did you shoot"
"I don't know."

That was jaw droppingly horrifying. The official response that he was actually aiming for the autistic person nearby was like a bizarro spiral of hideousness.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Look at successful defenses against Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. You can get away with murdering a black person as long as you paint them as a mindless rage golem. And police are allowed to just dump that paint all over.

The Mike Brown thing was heinous because the media couldn't stop talking about how dangerously huge Mike Brown was at 6'4, yet Wilson was the exact same height.

I guess the Trayvon thing was just as bad since they turned a 17 year old stick into The Rock.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

negromancer posted:

And when the police in NYC stopped enforcing the law outside of serious felonies the crime rate plummeted. As in, calls to the police also fell as well. It's almost like the police in some places actually cause crime to happen.

Well they definitely cause a lot of murders and assaults to occur wherever they're present.

And yet mysteriously the perpetrators of those crimes never seem to get caught and convicted. :iiam:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Baronjutter posted:

I can't speak to cop murder justification, but I was recently on a jury that had a case of cop abuse to hear. In my case most of the people convinced themselves they were just stuck with a bad case and sadly the rules are forcing them to vote not guilty. BUT OH I TOTALLY THINK HES GUILTY! Don't get me wrong. Just those drat jury instructions about how to interpret things means "the prosecution technically didn't do their job".

Basically people become rules lawyers real fast to serve their own ends.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Crain posted:

I can't speak to cop murder justification, but I was recently on a jury that had a case of cop abuse to hear. In my case most of the people convinced themselves they were just stuck with a bad case and sadly the rules are forcing them to vote not guilty. BUT OH I TOTALLY THINK HES GUILTY! Don't get me wrong. Just those drat jury instructions about how to interpret things means "the prosecution technically didn't do their job".

Basically people become rules lawyers real fast to serve their own ends.

'Beyond a reasonable doubt' has always been too lenient when applied to people of privilege, and not enough for those without.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Talmonis posted:

'Beyond a reasonable doubt' has always been too lenient when applied to people of privilege, and not enough for those without.

The "Law and Order" principle. People have been watching these procedural shows for years where every week the obvious incriminating evidence gets suppressed by minute 28, and the guilty as poo poo guy gets off scott-free. Its built up the impression in the general population that that's how the system actually works.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Talmonis posted:

It was triple hosed because it was a Cop on prison shift accused of abusing minority inmates.

Thankfully we didn't return "Not Guilty" but the judge basically called time on us for taking to long in deliberation.

Hopefully the state got a better result in the next attempt (well, hopefully they tried again period).

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any good podcast recommendations? I don't know how I feel about NPR Politics being the blackest podcast in my feed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

Any good podcast recommendations? I don't know how I feel about NPR Politics being the blackest podcast in my feed.

Have you heard of Code Switch?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Crain posted:

Have you heard of Code Switch?
Code Switch is really good. I love Gene Demby in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bodega Boys. If only for the "Ben Barson" impression.

• Locked thread