Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The joke was, it was both.

The Question IRL posted:

My favorite thing about this song is that it was written because lead vocal and guitarist, Noddy Holder, was nagged by his Mother-in-Law about how he should just produce a Christmas song because she had read in the newspaper about how much royalties that Bing Crosby gets for his Christmas hits.

He then goes and writes this song, one of the all time greatest Christmas song that will continue to make him money for the rest of his life. And when he went back to his Mother-in-Law she basically just said "Yeah but it's still not as famous as Bing Crosby's songs."

Which just goes to show, there's no pleasing some people.

Especially Mothers in Law. That song is used in every single Doctor Who Xmas Special, and it drives me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I have never heard this song before :/

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

redbackground posted:

I have never heard this song before :/

It was just playing in the Five Guys I walked into for lunch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just want some Hanukkah song to go mainstream other than Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel. That thing is the "I have a black friend" of Christmas music.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

I'm pretty sure Debicki is the villain

She's playing Kismet or "Her" as people might know her. Adam Warlock's counterpart.

So far we know that she hires the Guardians to fight the monster we see in the trailer. We know the Ravagers are mad at Yondu for letting Quill go, and the Guardians break Yondu out of somewhere, and he also gets his larger fin while he joins the team.

Nebula and Mantis also join up with the team at some point.

The Guardians will probably end up fighting Kismet.

There are scenes on Earth.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

My favorite thing about this song is that it was written because lead vocal and guitarist, Noddy Holder, was nagged by his Mother-in-Law about how he should just produce a Christmas song because she had read in the newspaper about how much royalties that Bing Crosby gets for his Christmas hits.

He then goes and writes this song, one of the all time greatest Christmas song that will continue to make him money for the rest of his life. And when he went back to his Mother-in-Law she basically just said "Yeah but it's still not as famous as Bing Crosby's songs."

Oh, yeah, I read an article about that a while ago and it was talking about how Noddy Holder and Jim Lea still make something like £300,00 a year off "Merry Xmas Everybody".

It's like the story about a fan asking Don McLean what "American Pie" meant, and he replied, "It means I never have to work again."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bruceski posted:

I just want some Hanukkah song to go mainstream other than Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel. That thing is the "I have a black friend" of Christmas music.

Adam Sandler has at least 3

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Retro Futurist posted:

Adam Sandler has at least 3

Sandler doesn't count.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/806498740450099201

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Love how its getting more Ditko inspired with the design, this will be a good movie; especially since it seems like Peter isn't going to be as mopey as he is in other films. Plus Tony as Peter's mentor will be great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

achillesforever6 posted:

Love how its getting more Ditko inspired with the design, this will be a good movie; especially since it seems like Peter isn't going to be as mopey as he is in other films.

If you don't like mopey Peter Parker, you might not actually like Spider-man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair there is mopey SM and there is pathetic early era SM..

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I for one am excited that this movie isn't trying to be an adaptation of Ditko/Romita issues and is instead working with what they've got, which is the circumstance of him showing up after the MCU has been well-established (however it will work with the Sony/Marvel divide) and as someone who's been allied with the Avengers within Year One. Spider-Man to me isn't like Superman or Batman where he works just as well if not better if he's the only hero who exists. Spider-Man works better in the context of other heroes who exist because he sees how it's supposed to work with the big time guys like the FF or Iron Man or Cap and goes hey, why doesn't it work like that for me? Being supplied by Iron Man dilutes that somewhat but Spider-Man's schtick is about a lot more than his equipment.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

WEBPITS!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well this looks pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrzXIaTt99U

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
IS THAT GANKE?!?!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

IS THAT GANKE?!?!

Nope, it's Ned Leeds.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vulture actually looks good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Vulture actually looks good.

Yeah, I thought he looked great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Everything is excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks so drat good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Contrarian opinion:

It doesn't look or feel extraordinarily different from the last couple of tries. The freshest thing about it is RDJ, a lot of other stuff feels like "Oh, it's this. We've been here before."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That looks really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Contrarian opinion:

It doesn't look or feel extraordinarily different from the last couple of tries. The freshest thing about it is RDJ, a lot of other stuff feels like "Oh, it's this. We've been here before."

That was my opinion of Spidey in CW. He didn't do anything different from Andrew Garfield until the apartment scenes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be fair, adding Iron Man into it is already a pretty big difference from the previous movies, and I think it would be neat if the MCU Spider-Man movies are basically Spider-Man Team Up movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That was my opinion of Spidey in CW. He didn't do anything different from Andrew Garfield until the apartment scenes.

So... his first scene?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It looks fine

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weird song choice but the trailer was fun. Agreed though that I didn't get that much a different vibe between this and Garfield's Spiderman except that Peter actually looks like a high school kid outside of the costume. Probably the best parts of the trailer was the RDJ stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This kid is giving me a kind of young Tobey Maguire but with more range vibe

Overall, looks very promising.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I thought Tobey was a good Peter, and Andrew a good Spider-man, but from what I saw in CW, Tom Holland is good at being both. Peter being a pretty street-level New Yorker, though, I think it would have been more realistic if he'd referred to the Hulk as "the big green guy".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Nope, it's Ned Leeds.

I feel a little uncomfortable they are clearly just doing Miles and Ganke but replacing them with Peter and Ned Leeds of all people.

The film looks good but that's sort of a "eeeh" moment.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Also having a big black spider-button to flash dem tiddies take off the costume seems like an...ill-advised feature. Combat-wise.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Looks like another Home Run. Marvel can't seem to slip up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm trying to articulate some thoughts on this that isn't just overall frothing spider-man hype

uh

vulture looks a lot better in motion than in a drawing!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So that's clearly Gwen on the 42nd second mark,

Felicia Hardy?
For some reason I keep thinking the girl with the glasses is Bombshell.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh god are we really doing this

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's almost nuts how much better the first half of that Trailer is lmao.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So that's clearly Gwen on the 42nd second mark,

Felicia Hardy?
For some reason I keep thinking the girl with the glasses is Bombshell.

That's clearly Barbara Gordon and Storm. Geez.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jamesman posted:

That's clearly Barbara Gordon and Storm. Geez.

Storm is obviously the science teacher. :colbert: Nice that they got Michael Keaton to reprise his role of Batman Beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
That trailer owns. 2017 is gonna be great.

• Locked thread