Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fulchrum posted:

No, what I'm saying is that they won't be to blame THIS TIME! What exactly does the 2008 crash have to do with the 2017 crash, which is the one we'll need to focus on? The Banks will not be the ones who crash the entire thing THIS TIME, Trump will.

...so? does this somehow mean that the banks aren't going to be responsible for future trouble? does this somehow mean people are going to like bankers more and that campaigning around dealing with the finance sector is somehow going to be an albatross?

i don't really get what you are advocating for here. if your suggestion for Democratic strategy going forward is "counter Trump non-stop" I hate to break it to you but we've tried that plan and it just lost us an election to the least liked candidate in the history of presidential politics. Hammering the finance sector and promising to crack down corruption got people enthusiastic about one of our candidates. Reminding everybody that Dangerous Donald Dooms DC and Dollars Daily got us a record low turnout and an electoral loss to orange clown hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
MIGF is a woman?

The though of someone seriously thinking this is just :psyduck: to me though. It's as if their takeaway from the election is that the candidate wasn't enough of a corrupt, establishment insider with no ideology beyond personal political power.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Not a Step posted:

We already have increased and *increasing* productivity, but no wages to go along with it. We don't need anymore productivity! The benefits go to the rich because productivity is forever increasing but they worked out awhile back they don't have to pay anymore actual wages out. Its time to *stop* increasing productivity until wages start rising again to meet it.

We don't have a robust wealth redistribution system though.

Those things are independent. There have been times in history when both wages and productivity went up. There's no reason to stop making technological improvements in the meantime, we just need to do a better job of making sure the gains go to the workers instead of the owners.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Streak posted:

i wish fulchrum didn't get himself probated so often because i genuinely enjoy reading his terrible opinions

they're like hilariously bad every single time

That's why I let him skate occasionally when a sixer might otherwise be called for :ssh:

Fulchrum posted:

No, what I'm saying is that they won't be to blame THIS TIME! What exactly does the 2008 crash have to do with the 2017 crash, which is the one we'll need to focus on? The Banks will not be the ones who crash the entire thing THIS TIME, Trump will.

Can you people just not distinguish between events, and think I'd the banks are not responsible for one bad thing, that must mean they're not responsible for any bad things?

If that's what you meant, then maaaaaybe you ought to have been clear on that distinction in the first place, rather than posting that from which you're know furiously backpedaling?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

MaxxBot posted:

MIGF is a woman?

The though of someone seriously thinking this is just :psyduck: to me though. It's as if their takeaway from the election is that the candidate wasn't enough of a corrupt, establishment insider with no ideology beyond personal political power.

if Rahm Emanuel is made the head of the DNC I will never vote for a democrat in any election ever again

possibly the only motherfucker in the party more insider than DWS. gently caress this.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, I really miss the thread-that-was.

I'm gonna start a C-spam Democratic Party Participation thread this week so keep an eye out for that and make sure to post how the attempt gos

Nice!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

anime was right posted:

and this folks is why no one posts in D&D lol

it was fun for a while. ill try and get involved at the county level. cya.

democrat threads in c-spam have always seem to start out okay but always devolve and they're not very particularly chill for some weird reason :shrug:

even if you try to pepper in the joke posts, nobody really runs with that and they just have a nice meltdown instead because its super serious poo poo in the casual politics forum on a dead comedy website

check the activism thread, might have some good stuff for you wrt to getting involved, it could be good for your credentials too :shobon:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lemming posted:

Those things are independent. There have been times in history when both wages and productivity went up. There's no reason to stop making technological improvements in the meantime, we just need to do a better job of making sure the gains go to the workers instead of the owners.

Increasing wages in pace with productivity is literally the mechanism for making sure the gains go to the workers instead of the owners though. When productivity increases but not wages the difference goes to the owners. Increasing productivity isn't the solution to any of the wealth inequality issues. You are literally suggesting that wealth inequality is the result of the poor not working hard enough.

Productivity gains, on their own, are not something anyone should strive for. We want wage gains, and then to have those wage gains be the incentive for further increasing productivity.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bushiz posted:

Chaffee is the most respectable Rhode Island politician in that he is not a cartoon mobster.

You Are The Cannibal Lobster-Man Of New England. Can You Become The Governor Of Maine Rhode Island?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Lastgirl posted:

democrat threads in c-spam have always seem to start out okay but always devolve and they're not very particularly chill for some weird reason :shrug:

even if you try to pepper in the joke posts, nobody really runs with that and they just have a nice meltdown instead because its super serious poo poo in the casual politics forum on a dead comedy website

check the activism thread, might have some good stuff for you wrt to getting involved, it could be good for your credentials too :shobon:

The gently caress is a joke post?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ive been thinking about majing a local politics involvment thread, but i havent attended any local meetings yet due to the holiday season so I'm holding off until I can put together an op with a modicum of effort

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mugrim posted:

The gently caress is a joke post?

Stuff about Cannibal Lobsters.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nameless_Steve posted:

Oh, no, Cory Booker! He likes the idea of charter schools and doesn't completely loving hate the banks, he might as well be a Republican!

he loving lobbied for them you thunderhead

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Rahm as DNC chair would be part of the long term plan to alienate anyone who doesn't communicate exclusively in reaction gifs from parks and recreation

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

you are aware of course that you cannot say the cause of the 2017 crash with any certainty at this point because it has not happened yet

You appear to be so sure that this time it WON'T be caused by the same people as every other crash that you are treating that as historical fact

The Trump presidency being a disaster of legendary proportions is just as safe a bet as the banks crashing the economy again.

Fine, if the banks gently caress the global economy, blame them and ride the swell of hatred against them. I figured that was implied. But if it's Trump who fucks the economy 100%, then you can't just try to steer the conversation back to "actually, this is really the banks fault".

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

The Trump presidency being a disaster of legendary proportions is just as safe a bet as the banks crashing the economy again.

Fine, if the banks gently caress the global economy, blame them and ride the swell of hatred against them. I figured that was implied. But if it's Trump who fucks the economy 100%, then you can't just try to steer the conversation back to "actually, this is really the banks fault".

¿Porque no los dos?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Did the permaban toxxes that got downgraded to 30 days for donating just start expiring or something? Or are the pedants just removing their tail from between their legs and posting again?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

we should replace banks with a mattresses for all program that gives all Americans a comfy place to sleep and store their money at the same time. maximum efficiency!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800657&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post467109489

Thread is made, I am lovely OP but hopefully it will get better over time.

Serf
May 5, 2011

allow me to introduce you to my wealth redistribution plan

*wheels out a bust of literally Karl Marx*

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Democrats suck because they don't understand that you have to actually win before you can purge the infidels and the ideological criminals. I'm sure Homework Explainer can back me up on this.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Nameless_Steve posted:

Oh, no, Cory Booker! He likes the idea of charter schools and doesn't completely loving hate the banks, he might as well be a Republican!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7GpMks8UA

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Well What Now posted:

Democrats suck because they don't understand that you have to actually win before you can purge the infidels and the ideological criminals. I'm sure Homework Explainer can back me up on this.

but enough about the leftist goals thread

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

comingafteryouall posted:

we should replace banks with a mattresses for all program that gives all Americans a comfy place to sleep and store their money at the same time. maximum efficiency!

Considering most Americans don't have money to store, I don't think we should really worry about that.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

^^ Don't disparage the idea, I could use a new mattress!

Well What Now posted:

Fidel Castro, much like Hillary Clinton, did nothing wrong.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Not a Step posted:

¿Porque no los dos?

it's por qué

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

:negative:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Considering most Americans don't have money to store, I don't think we should really worry about that.

they will after they all get jobs in the new mattress factories :getin:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

The Big BanksTM are so intertwined with the concept of "the economy" that it's really hard for me to imagine a market crash that doesn't have their greasy fingerprints on it in some way.

Like, Trump's economic advisers are all Goldman Sachs people so I can't really see him making any economic moves that aren't pre-approved by their board of directors and which their top brass isn't profiting off every step of the way.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Thoguh posted:

Did the permaban toxxes that got downgraded to 30 days for donating just start expiring or something? Or are the pedants just removing their tail from between their legs and posting again?

permatoxxes are not the same as permabans, they lose the account but can return at anytime with a re-reg

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So, to talk about a novel topic here related to that:

I really, really wish we could stop talking about income, and start talking about wealth.

Breaking up the classes based on "income" seems like the stupidest poo poo. Making a ton of money doesn't make you wealthy if it all goes to rent, food, and loan payments every drat month.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

comingafteryouall posted:

they will after they all get jobs in the new mattress factories :getin:

i can buy a million mattresses today off Alibaba THANKS FREE TRADE!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Está facíl ayudar.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

MaxxBot posted:

MIGF is a woman?

On the other hand, if the takeaway from 2016 is that being an rear end in a top hat strongman with a walk-in closet full of skeletons is what the people want, I think Rahm's your man.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

The Big BanksTM are so intertwined with the concept of "the economy" that it's really hard for me to imagine a market crash that doesn't have their greasy fingerprints on it in some way.

Like, Trump's economic advisers are all Goldman Sachs people so I can't really see him making any economic moves that aren't pre-approved by their board of directors and which their top brass isn't profiting off every step of the way.

your use of greasy makes me realize bankers are basically the trailer park boys with more money.

each period between the financial crises is a season and it always ends and begins the same way. Only difference is the bankers don't actually have to go to jail

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

Oh come on. You're telling me it's impossible for anything other than the big banks to royally gently caress the economy?

It's more that you're kinda saying 'no dudes this flood won't hurt us, because our house is gonna burn down first'. Those two things can both destroy you in different ways.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If that's what you meant, then maaaaaybe you ought to have been clear on that distinction in the first place, rather than posting that from which you're know furiously backpedaling?
What I posted was that the banks will not be responsible for the next crash, Trump will. How exactly does that get interpreted as Banks have never ever been responsible for anything bad happening, ever?

loquacius posted:

Cuddle up to Taiwan and impose heavy trade restrictions on China, crashing the supply of cheaply made Chinese goods a large percentage of the economy is reliant on. Economic activity plummets, and with it, the economy. And I don't see a positive angle for a bank anywhere.

GlyphGryph posted:

So, to talk about a novel topic here related to that:

I really, really wish we could stop talking about income, and start talking about wealth.

Breaking up the classes based on "income" seems like the stupidest poo poo. Making a ton of money doesn't make you wealthy if it all goes to rent, food, and loan payments every drat month.

Wouldn't this just mean a whole bunch of HENRY mother fuckers claiming $300,000 a year isn't REALLY rich after they pay off their fifth trip to the Bahamas?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Not a Step posted:

Increasing wages in pace with productivity is literally the mechanism for making sure the gains go to the workers instead of the owners though. When productivity increases but not wages the difference goes to the owners. Increasing productivity isn't the solution to any of the wealth inequality issues. You are literally suggesting that wealth inequality is the result of the poor not working hard enough.

Productivity gains, on their own, are not something anyone should strive for. We want wage gains, and then to have those wage gains be the incentive for further increasing productivity.

Uh, what are you talking about? That's not what I'm saying, at all. Increasing productivity is good, generally, because it allows people to produce more value of stuff, which could potentially raise the standard of living for everyone. The problem is that the mechanism that distributes the resulting extra stuff is all hosed up. You can fix that mechanism without stopping improvements in productivity, which is generally the result of improving technology.

We should absolutely always be striving for productivity gains. We mostly get that not through people working more hours or whatever, though. I don't really know what you're proposing should be done, such that it would cause productivity to level out but wages to increase. I'm saying we redistribute the value produced through taxes and stuff.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

MaxxBot posted:

MIGF is a woman?

their takeaway is "rahm, or some other Chicago Machine rear end in a top hat, paid money for this 'opinion piece'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

Wouldn't this just mean a whole bunch of HENRY mother fuckers claiming $300,000 a year isn't REALLY rich after they pay off their fifth trip to the Bahamas?

I am unfamiliar with "HENRY mother fuckers", who is that.

• Locked thread