Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

deadly_pudding posted:

Is that the one that injected in the idea that Bardock was a "brilliant scientist" who invented the fake moon technique for no reason except that they felt like it?

Yep and it's still somehow better than Funimation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The English cast has improved greatly over the past 20 years (except for Sean Schemmel). Daemon Clarke was always magnificent though.

deadly_pudding posted:

Is that the one that injected in the idea that Bardock was a "brilliant scientist" who invented the fake moon technique for no reason except that they felt like it?

The original Ocean dub is a treasure if only for making me imagine Bardock in a lab coat.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spidder posted:

Was there really a need for for a different version, though? I mean, it's not like it's an anime full of japanese cultural references that would fly over western folks' heads or anything. It was already primed and ready for a western audience without any 'three eyed cowboys', 'brilliant scientists' and everyone sounding like a Wrestlemania character.

Also, it may have seemed like a good idea marketing-wise at the time. But in the long run they've shot themselves in the foot. Now there's an entire generation of DBZ fans (the Absalon crowd) that are under the impression that the franshice is something different than what it actually is, and as a result hate Super.

If DBZ didn't have a dub it wouldn't have even a fraction of its American audience

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There was a need for it because other than maybe Pokémon, it's probably the most successful anime in the west and makes a gently caress load of money in merch sales from people who haven't actually watched Dragonball or read the manga, at least pre Z manga chapters.

Those people are still going to watch Super as soon as they see Vegito fighting Hit or whoever in the Universal tourney when it happens and when Goku goes Super Saiyan Blue 2 or whatever else happens and they'll get pissed off when Mr Satan and Buu end up getting into hijinks between major arcs and tune in again next week and pre-order Xenoverse 3. Them not understanding that Dragonball is generally light hearted fun is not a bad problem to have.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What exactly was the deal with the Big Green dub anyway?

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Not arguing against the idea of an english dub. just against the idea of an english dub that changes things for the worst, and for no good reason.

They could have made a good dub is what I'm saying.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Every day i tear my body becauze i was not born among the samurai of the sunrise land

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The late 80s, 90s and even early 00s are full of terrible localization decisions by American companies and I'm just glad I dodged most of them and can just laugh at them from afar. It's fine now and I'm glad you got your poo poo together.

You fuckers still stuck me with the Digi-Rap instead of Butterfly however, and for that I'll never forgive you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Did you forget how much poo poo the original anime injected that never actually happened?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
old english dub bad

new english dub good

everyone shut up now

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Spidder posted:

Not arguing against the idea of an english dub. just against the idea of an english dub that changes things for the worst, and for no good reason.

They could have made a good dub is what I'm saying.

but they did

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did you forget how much poo poo the original anime injected that never actually happened?

I remember how the Jaco book retconned baby Goku's brain damage out of the story :v:

I'm not talking about anime vs. manga purity. I'm talking about like entire lines of dialog added to the English dub for no reason that fill in what would be important character details except they aren't correct. I don't even remember what Vegeta's original line is there, because "brilliant scientist" got burned into my stupid 9 year-old brain.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We don't talk about the Dragonball chapter of Jaco.

But we should talk about Jaco because it's awesome.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This is the most weeboo discussion we have had in a while, hell we may have hit peak weeboo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bibidi, babidi, weeabuu

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is the most weeboo discussion we have had in a while, hell we may have hit peak weeboo.

If you think this is peak weeaboo or even 3/10 weeaboo, I pray you never bare witness to the true horrors of peak weeaboo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

This thread is going to get a definite weeaboo zenkai though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you think this is peak weeaboo or even 3/10 weeaboo, I pray you never bare witness to the true horrors of peak weeaboo.

We had someone argue that he didn't see the point of a dub existing in concept.

How much farther can you go?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Spidder posted:

Now there's an entire generation of DBZ fans (the Absalon crowd) that are under the impression that the franshice is something different than what it actually is, and as a result hate Super.

I love the dub and I also love Super. I can't wait until Super gets dubbed for the optimum DB viewing experience.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

We had someone argue that he didn't see the point of a dub existing in concept.

How much farther can you go?

Things that involve body fluids, for starters. We don't need details, because we don't need them.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Look we all know that the best part of dragon ball isnt the anime or the manga or even the games, its buying sick button down flame shirts with vegeta on them from the mall and that transcends language and culture

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Things that involve body fluids, for starters. We don't need details, because we don't need them.

That is fair.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

We have hit peak weaboo and were gonna start to have to frack for dakimakura if we want to remain this way

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You can put up maybe European art films or Pan's Labyrinth with subtitles on TV but that treatment is not going to go to freakin' Dragon ball Z.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

everyone needs to have a Badman and Postboy shirt, imo

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i like the dragon ball dub in basically everything but original dbz

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

mycot posted:

You can put up maybe European art films or Pan's Labyrinth with subtitles on TV but that treatment is not going to go to freakin' Dragon ball Z.

Plus we wouldn't have gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51mD4Im5ePU

Freakin' awesome.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I forgot how much footage from the movies rock the dragon used.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

alcharagia posted:

i like the dragon ball dub in basically everything but original dbz

yeah, basically

the dub's gotten better every time they've redone it to the point that the cast overall is probably one of my favorite now

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

I forgot how much footage from the movies rock the dragon used.

And all of it was I think the Worlds Strongest and Tree of Might.

What got me is how as a kid you would always wonder when you would see Goku turn Super Sayian. It was taunting you right there on TV.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Funky Valentine posted:

What exactly was the deal with the Big Green dub anyway?

for some reason they had the rights to all the movies in the UK

like some of that poo poo actually aired on TV

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
they renamed saiyan to "space warrior"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

"japanimation"

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

We have hit peak weaboo and were gonna start to have to frack for dakimakura if we want to remain this way

I don't want a wall scroll pipeline anywhere near my goddamn drinking water.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shindragon posted:

And all of it was I think the Worlds Strongest and Tree of Might.

What got me is how as a kid you would always wonder when you would see Goku turn Super Sayian. It was taunting you right there on TV.

Same but Vegeta

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I for one can't wait to see Roshi in the dub. First his request to Goku for "interesting" dvd's and his enthusiasm for YOUNG GALS!

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 5, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bardock as a scientist was way more interesting than the garbage he ended up as.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sassassin posted:

Bardock as a scientist was way more interesting than the garbage he ended up as.

gohan took up his grandfather's mantle as the legendary super scientist saiyantist

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I've always been a fan of the Japanese version myself, but I'm really glad that the Dub has gotten as good as it has. Chris Aryes is absolutely amazing.

Although I hope they do something with Future Trunks in Super because his Dub voice in Xenoverse 2 was pretty bad. It wasn't always like that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

insert tin can hey from xenoverse 1 trunks here

• Locked thread