Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Second time I've seen one of these obnoxious LED assholes on the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIC9Ewh_0g&hd=1

Pretty sure that could be ticketed for 'white light to the rear' in Arizona. Might be other violations depending on what was showing on the sign (like flashing blue/red etc.).

But yea, that is bullshit, at the very least it should be auto-dimming at night like the electronic billboards are supposed to be.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I posted this in the "people you share a road with" thread ages ago, but on my route home, we had the most obnoxious billboard for a golf club which was just a few words on a glaringly bright white LED background. It was the size of a shipping container and really low to the ground so you just couldn't avoid being blinded by it.

It was so bright, I could have read a roadmap inside my car from 50 metres out. Even the side streets.

This isn't that sign, it's one I found through google, but it shows just how bad this thing was:

How the hell it was legal I'll never know.

Unlike this one. Holy hell, there are rules about dimming self-lit billboards at night for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, it took forever to get taken down, after a huge number of complaints.

Reason being that all complaints had to go through the local council. And guess who were all on the board or members of the golf club which put up the billboard in the first place?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Mine would say "please turn off your piece of poo poo purple aftermarket glarelights before I ram you"

Mine would be on the hood and say "Get out of the passing lane" in reverse text.

And then one in normal text on the rear bumper for when I inevitably have to pass on the right, because people who camp in the left lane tend to also not look at their mirrors.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm looking for my first dashcam and I'd like it to be mostly out of sight. The idea of suction cups really irks me. I saw the A118 recommended here, but there are a billion no-name models of it. Any opinions on this Rexing?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE/

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

azurite posted:

I'm looking for my first dashcam and I'd like it to be mostly out of sight. The idea of suction cups really irks me. I saw the A118 recommended here, but there are a billion no-name models of it. Any opinions on this Rexing?

Good webpage with links to the true models of the A118C, at the bottom. Amazon link

I personally like the website since its nicely laid out and I think they give mostly fair representations and reviews of dashcams. They also host forums that manufacturers drop by in.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thanks a lot! I'll look into that one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

azurite posted:

I have that Rexing. First one the battery did not work at all, so as soon as you turned off the car it would turn off. They sent me a replacement and it's worked fine ever since. I wish it had GPS but I can deal without it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

So that Rexing uses an actual battery instead of a supercap?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CharlesM posted:

I want that sign and I'd just program it to say "please turn on your headlights" and I could turn it on and off as appropriate.

And in smaller text below it: "Just because your gauges are lit up doesn't mean they are on"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm in an outside turn-left lane and the dummy on the inside turn-left lane turns left... into oncoming traffic. Even better, the dude behind him blindly follows him, almost jumping the median curb in the process. Luckily, they both make it down to the first turn separation in the median and scurry back over to the right side of the road. The timestamp on my camera isn't accurate but it was still pretty late so I assume alcohol was involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGBvGZfxJY

e: vvv Sure me too, if I'm in a new area or just am not paying attention like a dummy. I was more amused that the 2nd car followed him. I guess they were just spaced out and following taillights.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 5, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: I've almost done that a couple of times in the dark, but never with a loving median.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:same:

Also the red lights on the street you're turning in reminds me of the first time I ran into those in the US (it's very unusual to have lights on the other side of an intersection here). I was making a turn just like that, saw the red lights and immediately started panicking that I must've ran a red light. So I hit the brakes and started checking if there's any cross traffic, pedestrians trying to cross the street in front of me and so on.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think the reflections of surrounding lights on wet streets always makes it harder to see where you're going. There's just a lot more going on, visually. Plus, your brain is also trying to take into account different street conditions, so that's slightly distracting, too.

Still hilarious (no harm no foul, right?)

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm in an outside turn-left lane and the dummy on the inside turn-left lane turns left... into oncoming traffic.

Me and 3 of my buddies did this once. After exiting a (strip) club way out in the boonies, real late ant night, somewhere in West Virginia.

(alcohol was not a factor on our end as I was the DD and was sober as a man can be whos just spent a couple of hours drinking $9 redbulls and having titties rubbed in his face)

the intersection which put us back onto the county highway was completely dark - no streetlights whatsoever. it was a 4-lane highway with an incredibly wide and tree-lined median - which due to the lack of light looked like a 2-lane road.

Turned left, got into the RH lane, headed back to the hotel.
(note : this was pre-GPS and pre-smartphone... we were navigating by a paper map)

down the road we went. off in the distance - headlights coming toward us. Closer. Closer. Waitaminute is he oh poo poo THAT MANIAC IS IN OUR LANE WERE GOING TO DIE

swerved off the road. "maniac" passes us, doesn't slow down or change lanes, nothing. I flip the car around to chase the guy down and started flashing my brights and honking because HHOLY poo poo THAT GUYS STILL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD IS HE ASLEEP HE MUST BE DRUNK HES GONNA KILL SOMEBODY GOD DAMNIT ZERO BARS loving SPRINT WILL ONE OF YOU GUYS WITH SERVICE GET 911 ON YOUR PHONE BEFORE THIS DRUNK MOTHERFUCKER KILLS SOMEBODY

suddenly I realized that (a) the lane reflectors were now white, not red and (b) that the street signs were their normal green and white and not in fact blacked out

... yeah.

Thinking back on it, though, I kind of suspect that the other driver was impaired in some fashion. What else explains zero reaction to a car being head-on in the wrong lane, plus no response to said car zooming up from behind while honking and flashing its lights frantically?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Yeah I'm pretty sure I would have kept driving, too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I would have kept driving, too.

Haha yeah, now I want the driver of that car to come post what he thought BCM was smoking that night :lol: At least his story makes sense, my guys were on a 'relatively' well lit major intersection. But I suppose light reflecting off the wet road could have had an affect on things.

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
Hello dashcam folks, I have come to beg advice.

I am looking for a rear-view camera to install on the back of my slide-in camper. It will be a full-time (not just for reversing) camera that will hopefully allow me to see what the hell's behind me. Night vision and cheap are pluses. I don't have a monitor yet either, so I am open to suggestions there also. Since this is for an OBS F250 with a flat dash top I was looking for a pedestal-type dash-mount monitor. Front cam is not essential atm, and the ones I'm leaning towards are in the 7" size range.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

mobby_6kl posted:

:same:

Also the red lights on the street you're turning in reminds me of the first time I ran into those in the US (it's very unusual to have lights on the other side of an intersection here). I was making a turn just like that, saw the red lights and immediately started panicking that I must've ran a red light. So I hit the brakes and started checking if there's any cross traffic, pedestrians trying to cross the street in front of me and so on.

So, you don't have lights for the opposing and/or intersecting directions? Could you clarify this?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Right turn on red is a US thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That has nothing to do with what he's talking about.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

buttcrackmenace posted:

down the road we went. off in the distance - headlights coming toward us. Closer. Closer. Waitaminute is he oh poo poo THAT MANIAC IS IN OUR LANE WERE GOING TO DIE

This is another reason for drivers to keep to the right lane when they're not passing anyone. If there's a wrong-way driver coming at you on a divided multi-lane highway, but you're both keeping the right as trained, it's really no more dangerous than being on a regular 2-lane road.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EightBit posted:

So, you don't have lights for the opposing and/or intersecting directions? Could you clarify this?

The lights are, usually, before the intersection. If you're stopped at a red, they're almost directly above you, and not on the other side of the intersection, across the road.

If you're making a left turn here on your green, you will not see a red light which is there for the traffic coming from your right. It's located right in front of the black car on the right here. Not a big deal at all, as I said it just freaked me out a little the first time. Like in that video, you see Takes No Damage makes a left and go through red lights, and I was not used to that and expected pedestrians to start running across or something.

Well yeah, that was the point in the original post
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 7, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

The lights are, usually, before the intersection. If you're stopped at a red, they're almost directly above you, and not on the other side of the intersection, across the road.

Not in the US.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

mobby_6kl posted:

If you're making a left turn here on your green, you will not see a red light which is there for the traffic coming from your right. It's located right in front of the black car on the right here. Not a big deal at all, as I said it just freaked me out a little the first time. Like in that video, you see Takes No Damage makes a left and go through red lights, and I was not used to that and expected pedestrians to start running across or something.

Well yeah, that was the point in the original post
vvv

I've seen that layout before in the US, but it is very rare. We don't tend to have designated bike areas, so at an intersection like that, the first row has to really crane their heads to see the signal. If I were to arrive at that in my Jeep, I would have to leave a car length or more between me and the light to be able to see it, due in part to how long my torso is; if I sit up and take a deep breath, my hair grazes the soft top.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
People here seem to really like the Guardian and the A118. The Guardian is twice as expensive, what would I get for that much more cash?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

People here seem to really like the Guardian and the A118. The Guardian is twice as expensive, what would I get for that much more cash?

The packaging of the dashcams are deceptive, the guardian has more customer support available, it also has different sensors and lens which give it a much high quality image. They just released a V3 version of the Street guardian which has a CPL filter standard, the latest firmware and apparently a 2017 model lens.

So the Guardian is basically A118 case with entirely new internals.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Are there any decent dual-camera (remote wired camera for rear view) models on the market?

Anyone not following the chat thread, I was rear-ended on Thursday and the other party's insurance is attempting to weasel out of accepting liability. The other party was clearly at fault, accident was witnessed by a county sheriff's deputy and she was cited for ACD on the scene, however her insurer is claiming they can't move forward on the claim until she calls them back as they "don't have her side of the story" yet - which I'm not totally buying, because when I contacted them to start a claim they told me one had already been started by the at-fault driver. So either they're deliberately stalling or the at-fault driver told them I was somehow responsible.

Video footage of the crash would sure be nice to have now - is there anything available or should I just install a pair of cameras?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Geoj posted:

Are there any decent dual-camera (remote wired camera for rear view) models on the market?

Anyone not following the chat thread, I was rear-ended on Thursday and the other party's insurance is attempting to weasel out of accepting liability. The other party was clearly at fault, accident was witnessed by a county sheriff's deputy and she was cited for ACD on the scene, however her insurer is claiming they can't move forward on the claim until she calls them back as they "don't have her side of the story" yet - which I'm not totally buying, because when I contacted them to start a claim they told me one had already been started by the at-fault driver. So either they're deliberately stalling or the at-fault driver told them I was somehow responsible.

Video footage of the crash would sure be nice to have now - is there anything available or should I just install a pair of cameras?

There's a fair number of these starting to emerge. I have the K1S and it's worked very well once I figured out that it's picky about memory cards. I know BlackVue has a whole bunch of models. I would start by looking at these and check their reviews on Techmoan and other sources to see how they've been received. Otherwise I think there are some people in this thread that are just running two cameras and they seem to work well too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, those $35 Amazon dashcams are crap. I mean, we knew this, but all three of mine have died, 2-3 months later. Just FYI, because that's what I went with other than a dual-lens setup.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
My Mobius has been in my car for two years now. No problems other than replacing the original battery with a super capacitor after 10 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3mtX1BDLXo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

D'oh.
Almost exactly 3 years old, Panorama II / S. The image came back normal once or twice so it might be repairable, but probably beyond my skill level. Too bad.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I'm starting to think that my car is invisible. I'm almost to point of wanting to buy a lovely car and just start hitting these people.

I had the right of way and my turn signal on, she had two stop signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgtt7Ln09o

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Biscuit Joiner posted:

My Mobius has been in my car for two years now. No problems other than replacing the original battery with a super capacitor after 10 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3mtX1BDLXo

2 in my car for close to 2 years. Only problem I ever had is the super cap will discharge if the car sits for like a week and the date will need to be reset.

Phenomenally good device, probably the best, but eh people still buy other garbage cams instead.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Stultus Maximus posted:

The A119 is out and getting good reviews. It's a little more expensive than the A118 but does 1440p with better night time quality. It's a good middle ground between the A118 and the Guardian

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Phenomenally good device, probably the best, but eh people still buy other garbage cams instead.
Did you go with the standard lens or wide angle?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Always wide, since the Möbius software can crop the fov down if needed.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Last night, on the drive home from a Christmas Eve evening at a friend's place in the city, I got my first real scary footage on my dashcam (a Mini 0805). And to top it off, I wasn't even driving at the time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqh94Js15yw

Vehicle at full stop with hazards on in #4 lane for unknown reason, vehicle about to exit the highway does not see the stopped vehicle, and causes a quartering rear-end impact at ~60MPH (no brake application before impact). Everyone walked away, according to the cops who came to take my statement (the little old lady in the SUV was reportedly "feeling a little stiff", and I imagine quite a lot more so this morning...).

The bonus here is that Rick, who was driving, had had a total of 5 minutes behind the wheel of my car (a Genesis Coupe) before he had to make this maneuver (you can hear us talking about the steering feel just at the beginning). He and I had both done a car control clinic with the BMWCCA Golden Gate Chapter a few months prior (he in his mk7 GTI, and I in the Genesis), in which this was very specifically one of the skills practiced -- and now I am sure glad that we did!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Nice capture. So what ended up happening to your car? Did you actually hit anything?

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

When we stopped, we found one of the myriad pieces of paper that were scattered from the crash cozy up in my radiator, and my front license plate was bent (and the plate frame was broken). No other damage; I figured it won't be worth trying to deal with their insurance to extract a $5 license plate frame from them :) A bunch of the paint on the front bumper is pretty scratched up, but I'm not sure if that's from it getting scraped up by all of the other crap I've done to it over time, or whether that's from the crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

Always wide, since the Möbius software can crop the fov down if needed.
Cool, thanks. I may go with a Mobius 2. From sample youtube videos, it seems to do pretty darn well with shadow exposure. Some have complained that it has worse audio quality than the original Mobius, but I don't particularly care about the audio, so it may work out better for me.