Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Unfortunately I think Northstar is even more crippled than Scorch when it comes to dealing with pilots. Yeah you can try and nail them with the uncharged shot but for the most part you have to run the gently caress away if a pilot is attacking you when you're in a Northstar.

What is this? Roast pilots alive in their hidey holes all day erryday. Melee, flame shield or the right bumper flame whip thingy if they're out and about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

No way, i get easily 2/3 of the kills i go for when i hover, no one expects it. It's also a great way to peek out and hit a titan from a weird place.

I hear that the recent buffs to hover make it a great option now, at least according to YouTube "pros".

Edit: I misunderstood the quoted post and thought they meant Northstar's hover kit option.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 6, 2016

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Inspector Hound posted:

No way, i get easily 2/3 of the kills i go for when i hover, no one expects it. It's also a great way to peek out and hit a titan from a weird place.

Gunder posted:

I hear that the recent buffs to hover make it a great option now, at least according to YouTube "pros".

I can't speak to other people's experiences, but mine is that standing still in the open is a death sentence, particularly on PC. Also most people hold hover for far far too long, so they predictably get swatted out of the sky.

I'll amend my statement. Hover is a newbie trap. I've seen it used as a shortcut/crutch for positioning, which leads to bad habits.

s1ppycup posted:

If you're talking about the EVA-8, then YOU are the tryhard :D If you're talking about the Mastiff, np.

Why not both? :D
Also most hyper-tryhards use the CAR and Volt exclusively in my experience. They get super mad when you shotgun them!

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I can't speak to other people's experiences, but mine is that standing still in the open is a death sentence, particularly on PC. Also most people hold hover for far far too long, so they predictably get swatted out of the sky.

I'll amend my statement. Hover is a newbie trap. I've seen it used as a shortcut/crutch for positioning, which leads to bad habits.

Why not both? :D
Also most hyper-tryhards use the CAR and Volt exclusively in my experience. They get super mad when you shotgun them!

I think maybe there's some hover conflation happening here, and of course as always I could be 100% wrong, but as far as I know the person saying "hover sucks" is referring to the pilot hover, and I don't remember hearing anything about that being buffed (or even imagine how it could be, short of it giving you some sort of momentary over shield), whereas you're advocating for Northstar hover, which was definitely buffed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I believe he's talking about Northstar's Hover, not the Pilot hover (which I believe is unchanged), Northstar's Hover and Flight Core have been buffed to make her faster in the air and it's amazing.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
TF2 style sheet suggestion: to avoid confusion with pilot hover, refer to Northstar hover as "VTOL"

E: and pilot hover as "Floaty McEasykill" if you're so inclined

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

northstar's air mobility is a lot better now making her compete better

not taking pro lowfile is absolutely a trap because a greenhorn who has been playing the game for like 15 minutes will murder you from your jump jets across the map with their starting loadout

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Volcanic Vents posted:

TF2 style sheet suggestion: to avoid confusion with pilot hover, refer to Northstar hover as "VTOL"

E: and pilot hover as "Floaty McEasykill" if you're so inclined

I think we should only ever refer to Northstar's hover because no one in their right mind should use the Pilot hover, it's total trash. Though, it could be made better if it was just an ability that slowed your decent but kept your momentum so you could glide around the map goofy-like.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think we should only ever refer to Northstar's hover because no one in their right mind should use the Pilot hover, it's total trash. Though, it could be made better if it was just an ability that slowed your decent but kept your momentum so you could glide around the map goofy-like.

It is a very fun ability that should be looked at

but its also loving hilarious and absurd that in the same loadout slot is "wallhang" an ability that doesnt even appear to work and can be emulated by anyone by wallrunning and holding back instead of forward. they should put an ability in that slot that speeds up the annoying corner grab-climb animation like 10x or improves your jump height and speed or some kind of actual benefit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's still way harder to do well as Northstar than any other titan - uncharged railgun does too little damage/the railgun charges way too slow. They should multiply the railgun uncharged damage by like, 1.5 (without upping the full charge damage).

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's really pretty lame that the slot is basically a test instead of a customization option.

Did you select low profile?
No. You fail.

Also I got hot last night on console and rail gunned 3 pilots trying to evacuate. One guy was sniping at the evacuation site from a nice little tower. I can just imagine his rage when I blew him away from across the map.

Cannister rounds would be a fun and good northstar perk (or option)

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 5, 2016

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

s.i.r.e. posted:

I believe he's talking about Northstar's Hover, not the Pilot hover (which I believe is unchanged), Northstar's Hover and Flight Core have been buffed to make her faster in the air and it's amazing.

Yeah, I was talking about the pilot kit, not the Northstar ability.

Xguard86 posted:

It's really pretty lame that the slot is basically a test instead of a customization option.

Did you select low profile?
No. You fail.

agreed

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

an ability that slowed your decent but kept your momentum so you could glide around the map goofy-like.

I really like this idea

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Serious kits? gently caress off dude you can do well with (almost) any loving gun and ability in any combination. Git gud.

When you're facing people who are slighty- to greatly-better than you and who use the game's best stuff, then using non-competitive weapons and tacticals (like for instance Cold War and Holo Pilot) turns the match into a unfun blowout.

If you want to pretend that the R201 + Phase Shift has the same raw power and potential as Mastiff + Grapple then more power to you. I'm not buying it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pilot Hover is fun and good, unlike the tryhard low profile option :smuggo:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I use low profile because I don't want to try hard.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you want to pretend that the R201 + Phase Shift has the same raw power and potential as Mastiff + Grapple then more power to you. I'm not buying it.

Is there something really amazing I don't know about Mastiff and Grapple or is this just a misleadingly constructed sentence?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
So the ~~~Free Trial Weekend~~~ gave some pretty amazing lobbies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mekU8dxVyxE

veni veni veni posted:

I use low profile because I don't want to try hard.

:same:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Volcanic Vents posted:

Is there something really amazing I don't know about Mastiff and Grapple or is this just a misleadingly constructed sentence?

Mastiff + Grapple isn't very good. Sorry about my poor writing.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hover is actually decent on the devotion. Everything else though... yikes!

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

When you're facing people who are slighty- to greatly-better than you and who use the game's best stuff, then using non-competitive weapons and tacticals (like for instance Cold War and Holo Pilot) turns the match into a unfun blowout.

I can consistently top the leaderboard with the Mastiff + whatever, so yes. Also I'm not arguing that some guns aren't better than others, I'm saying you are bad. The Cold War is hilarious but requires raw speed and manouverability and positioning to use well. Learning the nuances of movement in conjunction with good aim and knowledge of guns and maps is what makes you good at this game. Just having good aim but bad movement will let players who are actually good take hot steaming shits on you, if you want me to use the same bad-faith interpretation of your argument as you did to mine.

My point is: Learning to go fast is also important if you want to be good at this game. If you don't buy that, I hope I'll meet you on the opposite team so that I can show you how wrong you are.

Daztek posted:

Pilot Hover is fun and good, unlike the tryhard low profile option :smuggo:

I use Kill Report :shepface:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Calm down.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i sigh as i equip my serious kit

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Wazzit posted:

Calm down.

ok

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I use Kill Report :shepface:

kill report tells you literally nothing interesting because in the time you can get to any location of an orange skull they might have actually respawned in that exact corner/hallway and ambush you

you should always be operating under the pretense that enemies are coming to get you and you can always see your teams skull markers anyways which are equally useless except for seeing all the idiots die to nuke eject

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Kits have a power differential" is not in any way controversial, I seriously don't understand what is happening here, but then again I recently learned that there's a sizable contingent of gamers that don't want skill-based matchmaking because it leads to "sweaty" games so IDKWTF is happening anymore. The kids are right, I AM out of touch.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like to think I'm decent at this game, and I do pretty well with the Titan end, but the pilot component makes me feel so old. Just running around, scanning for targets, then *BAP* turns out an enemy you couldn't have seen turned the corner on you the instant you looked away and instantly splatted you. My aim kinda sucks, which I recognize and am not sure how to improve, but I'm clearly just lost on map flow and situational awareness. Just have to play with some better goons to learn from I guess.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

Wazzit posted:

Calm down.

Stay calm and wait for titanfall?

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
I think most pubbies DON'T use low profile. Very, very rarely I'll get the mounted alert and lose my battery about a second later, which I assume only happens when they're using low pro. I'd be interested to know whether this is because A) most people don't understand how good it is or B) most people just don't have it unlocked in their current generation (and haven't permed it). Have the devs released any stats on average pilot rank/generation/whatever?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

puppy party posted:

Stay calm and wait for titanfall?

If you say it three times you'll summon Mr. "24 x 36 in my man cave" himself.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

s1ppycup posted:

I think most pubbies DON'T use low profile. Very, very rarely I'll get the mounted alert and lose my battery about a second later, which I assume only happens when they're using low pro. I'd be interested to know whether this is because A) most people don't understand how good it is or B) most people just don't have it unlocked in their current generation (and haven't permed it). Have the devs released any stats on average pilot rank/generation/whatever?
Having played TF1, Low Profile was the first thing I spent credits on and I use it on every loadout. It's crazy how good it is, especially against the other things in that slot.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
"Always go fast and if that doesn't work, go faster," is probably much better advice for consoles than for PC, and also kind of depends on the map. Patience and occasional repositioning can work very well if you're able to keep track of where the other team is probably coming from.

Does anyone have like a comparison image of Low Profile vs. Normal? Maybe my eyes are stupid, I'm really not clear on when somebody's using it or not, outside of rodeo warning timers.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Elysiume posted:

Having played TF1, Low Profile was the first thing I spent credits on and I use it on every loadout. It's crazy how good it is, especially against the other things in that slot.

How much of a warning does the titan actually get, does it give them the audio cue but without all the flashing warnings, or is it really silent?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

StringOfLetters posted:

Does anyone have like a comparison image of Low Profile vs. Normal? Maybe my eyes are stupid, I'm really not clear on when somebody's using it or not, outside of rodeo warning timers.

From what I can tell low profilers still have a dull engine glow in their butt jets but the boost trail it leaves when they double jump is gone.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

StringOfLetters posted:

He ejected and had a cloak, but didn't have low profile equipped so you can still see the boosters on his butt. If he had low profile equipped it's almost impossible to goose cloaked pilots.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Inspector Hound posted:

How much of a warning does the titan actually get, does it give them the audio cue but without all the flashing warnings, or is it really silent?

Low Profile does 3 things that I know of:

1) When you sprint, you don't make footstep sounds
2) When you jump or eject from your titans, you don't leave visible jump jet trails (really only matters if you're Cloaking)
3) When rodeoing, you don't make the dull thumping audio cue that occurs when a person is on the hull. Most importantly - the enemy pilot does not get a rodeo notification until about one second before you pull out the battery

In other words, it is by far and away the best pick for that spot as it offers a variety of powerful, positive benefits that frequently come into play.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Low Profile does 3 things that I know of:

1) When you sprint, you don't make footstep sounds
2) When you jump or eject from your titans, you don't leave visible jump jet trails (really only matters if you're Cloaking)
3) When rodeoing, you don't make the dull thumping audio cue that occurs when a person is on the hull. Most importantly - the enemy pilot does not get a rodeo notification until about one second before you pull out the battery

In other words, it is by far and away the best pick for that spot as it offers a variety of powerful, positive benefits that frequently come into play.

Yeah its pretty stupid how much better it is than everything else. Like its not even a tiny bit close.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

"Kits have a power differential" is not in any way controversial, I seriously don't understand what is happening here, but then again I recently learned that there's a sizable contingent of gamers that don't want skill-based matchmaking because it leads to "sweaty" games so IDKWTF is happening anymore. The kids are right, I AM out of touch.

Re: SBMM

1) As you mentioned, some people say that casual games should remain casual and stomp-possible and hey people learn from being defeated anyway.

You may point out that there's a difference between meeting *one* person who's really good at the game and going against a full pre-made that utterly stomps everybody for five minutes but I find that people tend to get very defensive when you try pointing that out. :v:

2) Alternatively they had experienced SBMM in a game like Advanced Warfare which implemented it...not that well and thus just has an entirely bad opinion of it thanks to those games.

3) In Titanfall's case specifically, Respawn had actually trialed SBMM in TF1 for a couple days or so?

It didn't go well with the playerbase (either due to the above or they found that the system was prioritizing skill to the point matches were becoming laggy as gently caress in their experience, though I didn't really see that much of a difference), and if I had to guess Respawn's personal reluctance to try it again is due to that.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man something else i love about this game is that playing the objective seems like a really viable way to win rather than just killfrenzies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

man something else i love about this game is that playing the objective seems like a really viable way to win rather than just killfrenzies

Amped Hardpoint is a really good twist on traditional control/capture and hold in that it points automatically start to neutralize if a player isn't actively standing on them. you can't just cap a point and then everyone fucks off like in destiny