Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

shave and a harelip posted:

This was where I stopped playing months ago. Have been sitting in a Faceless game building up hive mind bonus since then.

ugh. I have a pyrastrike I let build up all weekend and it's...okay but requires a lot of micromanagement, which is why I typically avoid the build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

ugh the 1e72 gem wall in RG is tough - researches are open but there's not quite enough to really do more than unlock them, and my merc builds are all slowing way down around the e66/69 level.

I did this a few months ago. To get from 1e69 to 1e72 I used a Fairy LS build. Find the excavation tool on the RG wiki, export your save and look up the next time LS will hit Blacksmith. Autocast until then (if Blacksmith isn't on the list you may have to wait a while) and then set your spells to fire at once when you know LS will hit your Blacksmith. (Farm and Inn are also fairly good choices for firing off your spells). With two or three LS hits you can easily double up your gems, it was a lot faster than any AFK build I tried.

At 1e72 you'll have enough money to buy some of the starting researches, you'll be spending a good amount of time just unlocking poo poo. I mostly used Elf as they have great faction coin gains to make unlocking research points a lot easier.

After a few reincarnations you can transition into research as early as 1e66 or so with Fairies.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah, repeated runs with the Lightning Forge merc build on the wiki is how I pushed through the e72 wall.

Currently working on neutral research. Just a warning, there are research upgrades for each of the neutral factions that require five days as that faction all-time to unlock. Plan accordingly, or you'll be stuck doing four straight days as druids, like me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Ninth Layer posted:

I did this a few months ago. To get from 1e69 to 1e72 I used a Fairy LS build. Find the excavation tool on the RG wiki, export your save and look up the next time LS will hit Blacksmith. Autocast until then (if Blacksmith isn't on the list you may have to wait a while) and then set your spells to fire at once when you know LS will hit your Blacksmith. (Farm and Inn are also fairly good choices for firing off your spells). With two or three LS hits you can easily double up your gems, it was a lot faster than any AFK build I tried.

At 1e72 you'll have enough money to buy some of the starting researches, you'll be spending a good amount of time just unlocking poo poo. I mostly used Elf as they have great faction coin gains to make unlocking research points a lot easier.

After a few reincarnations you can transition into research as early as 1e66 or so with Fairies.

yeah, i did the starting researches but i'm trying to push past to get to the next reincarnation since the researches at this point don't seem powerful enough to get there on their own...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

Electricity is a lot of micro managing, which is a pain early on.

Yeah electricity is an incredibly annoying challenge. Though z75 autostorage is helping loads, seems like before I go to bed I can set up to run a current zone map for items and it'll clear it and buy most of the items from it and push another 10-20 zones while I sleep, which is cool.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Captain Foo posted:

yeah, i did the starting researches but i'm trying to push past to get to the next reincarnation since the researches at this point don't seem powerful enough to get there on their own...
Don't do this. Research is better than mercs but only if you have almost all of them unlocked so you can actually run a complete research build.

It takes several days to unlock enough to do that, even following a guide, but you have to do it sooner or later anyway.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sindai posted:

Don't do this. Research is better than mercs but only if you have almost all of them unlocked so you can actually run a complete research build.

It takes several days to unlock enough to do that, even following a guide, but you have to do it sooner or later anyway.

ok, fair enough. working on the early researches I don't have yet, I guess!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I remember there being a clicker that started with you taking care of a fire? And building a village? Eventually you explore the world and find a UFO? Anyone know what this one is called?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Foo posted:

ok, fair enough. working on the early researches I don't have yet, I guess!
I want to emphasize, it's absolutely worth it. Even when you "just" have enough to fill your available slots per category, we're talking like a 2000% boost per research or a boatload of free FCs. Research is the fuel everything else will run on for the next twenty reincarnations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I remember there being a clicker that started with you taking care of a fire? And building a village? Eventually you explore the world and find a UFO? Anyone know what this one is called?

Isn't that the original Dark Room?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want to emphasize, it's absolutely worth it. Even when you "just" have enough to fill your available slots per category, we're talking like a 2000% boost per research or a boatload of free FCs. Research is the fuel everything else will run on for the next twenty reincarnations.

I'm only at the point where I even have the first four researches/facility visible, much less unlocked

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ignoranus posted:

Yeah that sounds like Dark Room (http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/)

One of the best clicker/idler games ever, imo, partly because it's half idler, half civilization builder, half adventure game. Dark Room owns

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Ignoranus posted:

Yep, that was it! Thanks

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is important, yeah. You can build a couple good builds with Elves and Goblins with the early unlocks, IIRC.

There's a good amount of "priming" with research builds though. Plenty of the bonuses are based on total clicks/spellcasts/etc, so boosting those stats with previous runs helps a lot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:psyduck: i just went offline as undead for an hour and it credited me with a month of away time :psyduck:

I'll take it, dang

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I closed Trimps for now. I got to the point where it seems like I'll just be doing zone 200 3m helium toxic runs for the foreseeable future with no end in site and no way to break much past 205 without running it over and over and over. Once I realized that I just closed the tab.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Garfu posted:

I closed Trimps for now. I got to the point where it seems like I'll just be doing zone 200 3m helium toxic runs for the foreseeable future with no end in site and no way to break much past 205 without running it over and over and over. Once I realized that I just closed the tab.

If you are hitting spire you should be doing corrupted runs for around 9-12m

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That said it is dumb that toxic is so good the next two challenges are almost worthless.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Garfu posted:

Do you mean corrupted? Once you get past 181, the big progress jumps come from masteries/etheral heirlooms till you hit 230 and magma generator upgrades exist

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think maybe your hacked agility is throwing off your progress relative to your helium. I'm at 130M (10x what you have, and also over 100 portals) and mostly still running lead/watch/dailies depending on what's up daily-wise and how active I plan on being, with a HZE of 194. General consensus from what I've seen is 300-500M minimum for the first push into the spire (around 20-21 coordinated, with 22-23 to complete it). To get up to those levels normally requires 10-20 runs of each repeatable challenge before pushing to the next one, and it seems like you've just broken the normal/intended progression by messing with agility.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

As far as electricity runs are concerned:

I'm just doing my first one and I only just unlocked it. I figure even if it takes forever it's still a good idea since I have 150 bones (already bought all the imps) so I don't mind doing a long run just to buff my portals if I wanted to buy one.

It seems damage is king of everything since even if I block all the damage I still get an electrified stack and no matter how much health you have even one stack is putting a very short timelimit on your life. So really I just want enough hp to survive quick enemies and enough damage to one shot everything I can.

Should I bother respeccing my helium specifically for the challenge?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Agent355 posted:

As far as electricity runs are concerned:

I'm just doing my first one and I only just unlocked it. I figure even if it takes forever it's still a good idea since I have 150 bones (already bought all the imps) so I don't mind doing a long run just to buff my portals if I wanted to buy one.

It seems damage is king of everything since even if I block all the damage I still get an electrified stack and no matter how much health you have even one stack is putting a very short timelimit on your life. So really I just want enough hp to survive quick enemies and enough damage to one shot everything I can.

Should I bother respeccing my helium specifically for the challenge?

It can be a good idea to respec extra into looting if you're doing a deep run to set a high bone portal. For electricity you can dump anticipation (since you're going to want to stick to 2s or lower breed timer) and health perks. Keep in mind post-60 you will still need -some- health because of block-piercing fast enemies, but you can block your way through most of it (including whatever voids you have to run at 79, those can contribute a large amount to your portal). A deep-specced electricity bone portal should be your best bet until you're running crushed on the regular, but that's at least a dozen portals past your first electricity run, meaning you should get 4-5 bone portals out of it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Roflex posted:

I think maybe your hacked agility is throwing off your progress relative to your helium. I'm at 130M (10x what you have, and also over 100 portals) and mostly still running lead/watch/dailies depending on what's up daily-wise and how active I plan on being, with a HZE of 194. General consensus from what I've seen is 300-500M minimum for the first push into the spire (around 20-21 coordinated, with 22-23 to complete it).

I cleared the first row of the spire at like 120M~ helium so whoever said that is bullshitting. Toughness II/Power II are both really good and come early.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Roflex posted:

I think maybe your hacked agility is throwing off your progress relative to your helium. I'm at 130M (10x what you have, and also over 100 portals) and mostly still running lead/watch/dailies depending on what's up daily-wise and how active I plan on being, with a HZE of 194. General consensus from what I've seen is 300-500M minimum for the first push into the spire (around 20-21 coordinated, with 22-23 to complete it). To get up to those levels normally requires 10-20 runs of each repeatable challenge before pushing to the next one, and it seems like you've just broken the normal/intended progression by messing with agility.

All agility does is decrease the time between attacks for both bad guys and trimps, I don't see how that breaks progression...?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It radically changes the balance between production and looting when it comes to generating resources. Looting is already better outside of the fairly early game, and the faster you attack the better it gets, so you're giving yourself a huge multiplier to resource production when it matters.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 6, 2016

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Ah ok

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

ugh the 1e72 gem wall in RG is tough - researches are open but there's not quite enough to really do more than unlock them, and my merc builds are all slowing way down around the e66/69 level.

One thing you may want to check, aside from the whole research-unlock thing that's already been discussed in depth, is whether you have the "Know Your Enemy, Part I" artifact. Owning it unlocks an upgrade when you're playing mercs. A really, really good upgrade. An upgrade that basically makes getting to R16 go from "ugh, I have to buildup for 3 days" to "lalala, another round or two of Lightning Forge", and similarly for getting to, or even a little past, e72 in R16 itself to make it easier for researches.

As for researches itself, unlocking the buildings is largely a case of "use a bunch of excavations, one faction at a time", and then you either run elf or goblin for faction coins to push the research caps higher.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vil posted:

One thing you may want to check, aside from the whole research-unlock thing that's already been discussed in depth, is whether you have the "Know Your Enemy, Part I" artifact. Owning it unlocks an upgrade when you're playing mercs. A really, really good upgrade. An upgrade that basically makes getting to R16 go from "ugh, I have to buildup for 3 days" to "lalala, another round or two of Lightning Forge", and similarly for getting to, or even a little past, e72 in R16 itself to make it easier for researches.

As for researches itself, unlocking the buildings is largely a case of "use a bunch of excavations, one faction at a time", and then you either run elf or goblin for faction coins to push the research caps higher.

unlocking the buildings wasn't too hard at all, and then just after i started griping about the gem wall i got a phantom 30 days offline while running undead/drow bloodline so lmao, i woke up today and now have 136/136 across all vanilla factions

e- I don't have the artifact :(
e2- I guess I can do another Joker run at some point

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 6, 2016

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well grabbing the artifact takes all of like five minutes to do if you're not in the middle of something. At this point you don't need it since you're in research, but you may want to consider it in R17 when you hit the mercs stage of the gem grind again. You don't actually need to grind gems on the Joker build, just run one long enough to be able to afford a few excavations.

In general, the idea of "run a quick build specifically aimed at accomplishing this one thing" rather than an hours/days-long build for grinding gems, is something you'll be quickly getting used to when it comes to unlocking researches. You've already probably done it a few times for challenges and trophies but you'll be doing it a lot more for researches.

No idea about your phantom offline time though. If you were R21+, I'd suspect drow challenge 3 might have something to do with it, but you're R16 so that's a no.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

To add, you can expect a certain amount of excavations per reincarnation and now is about the point in the game where you want to try to use them a bit more tactically. If you check out the Realm Grinder wiki you can find an excavation tool that will tell you if you can dig up any artifacts and what you'd need to do to dig them up. Just like Lightning Strike targets, the excavation odds are fixed based on excavation and then whether you clear the bar is determined by other factors (like how many spell casts you have). Now that you've unlocked research, you can get some artifacts from each faction, getting them boosts several early research upgrades.

When using the excavation tool keep in mind that you don't necessarily need 300,000 Fairy Chanting (or whatever) to get an artifact. If in 4129 excavations you only need 64 Fairy Chantings (or whatever) then you can always just use your 2500-3000 excavations this reincarnation and get the artifact around 1500 excavations later on the next go. In general I think you are better off rushing to the next reincarnation whenever possible, unless you are trying to complete researches that take a few days on a faction.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

After I unlocked Know Your Enemy 1 things sure got a boost, but it's Lightning Forge (with either Blacksmiths, Farms or Inns) or Halstrike all the way until you can get a Research build setup fairly quickly. Which in my case still means 'buy almost every research boost since I can barely afford them' to me. :downs:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I haven't used the excavation tool at all, but it looks like maybe I should? I'm at the top of R16 right now, picking off several things and taking advantage of the monstrous bonus i have for 30 days of free offline time.

@Merijin I found Innkeeper to be rather useful and quick, but I also don't have Know Your Enemy 1

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Foo posted:

I haven't used the excavation tool at all, but it looks like maybe I should?
:eyepop:

Holy loving poo poo, yes you should. Easy FC at the start of an Abdication and some of the artifacts give crazy boosts. Especially Know Thy Enemy, but yeah.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

He means he hasn't used the excavation prediction tool, not doing excavations in the game.

I hope. I've never used that tool either.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Merijn posted:

He means he hasn't used the excavation prediction tool, not doing excavations in the game.

I hope. I've never used that tool either.

hahah yes, i've done plenty of excavations, just never really used Lara Crypt or whatever it's called.

Anyway, just finished all the R16 researches, to R17 and onward :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Foo posted:

hahah yes, i've done plenty of excavations, just never really used Lara Crypt or whatever it's called.
Oh! Whatever, man. Back in my day we didn't have any fancy tools and we just savescummed until we got stuff.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So early game trimps - only on my third portal. What's my gameplan? Right now I've only gotten to 23 or so max but should I be pushing or just portaling ASAP?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Falcon2001 posted:

So early game trimps - only on my third portal. What's my gameplan? Right now I've only gotten to 23 or so max but should I be pushing or just portaling ASAP?

Push. You can't unlock the challenges you need to move on otherwise.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

This seems to be the universal advice for the first 3 runs:

First run: Zone 23. This will give you 55 helium, setting you up for the Underachiever Feat. Run the Discipline challenge.
Second Run: Zone 30. At this point, you should have picked up the Underachiever Feat. Run the Metal challenge.
Third Run: Zone 35. Run the Size challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sindai posted:

This seems to be the universal advice for the first 3 runs:

First run: Zone 23. This will give you 55 helium, setting you up for the Underachiever Feat. Run the Discipline challenge.
Second Run: Zone 30. At this point, you should have picked up the Underachiever Feat. Run the Metal challenge.
Third Run: Zone 35. Run the Size challenge.

Great, thanks!

Is there a donate button or anything like that on the github version of the game? Would like to kick the guy some cash but hate playing the Kong version.

Edit: export to kong, buy stuff, import back to github.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 7, 2016