Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I have too many VI relics, enough XIII relics, and kinda light on the other two so yeah going in on that, gimme something new for Celes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm going to somehow pull a Tiny Bee tonight

just relax and 'bee' urself

Friggin Firepants
Jul 11, 2006

My god, these friggin firepants.

Attestant posted:

Sounds like a 6/11 in the making. :v:

I mean, I wouldn't be mad to say the least!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I will tell you from experience that Cecil's BSB does very good damage even if an enemy does not have an elemental weakness unless they resist Holy specifically. Enholy-boosted Saint Cross is 20k damage on anything that doesn't have sky-high DEF. But okay, fair point, if you don' t have Saint Cross or don't have it honed high, you may benefit more from hitting elemental weaknesses. Let's think different, then: what SBs do you have for Spellblades? Got anything for Luneth, Bartz, Celes, Cloud, Squall, Steiner, Balthier or Lightning? If I was in your shoes, and I kind of wish I was because I would kill for Vaan's BSB, I would look in that direction because I am just about positive that with your team, you will hit harder with R3 Spellblades than Rydia will with R4 -jas. I mean, if you're using her to hit elemental weaknesses, her BSB is essentially useless. Either the commands hit for more than 10k, in which case you're not using your skill slots, or they don't and you might as well use Sephiroth who I am positive would hit for about 13k with his first BSB command.

No for all of those spellbladers except Cloud and Balthier. I have Cloud's ssb and for Balthier I think I have his ssb and bsb. My Saint Cross is r2, but I probably have enough to R4 it if I wanted to.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
You have Agrias though. Shift Protectga to Cecil or switch out Lifesiphon and have her do Spellblades.

Edit: She's not a 5* like Bartz/Celes/Delita/Squall/Paine (I think Orlandeau is the next one and Steiner is getting a 5* buff soon), and can't dive for it like Luneth/Cloud/Balthier/Lightning, so she can't use the best Spellblade stuff, but hitting weaknesses is stronger then Lifesiphon and still pretty good at charging her SB.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 5, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

9 potential dupes for me on this banner, but I'm still going for it for sure. Would be super pumped to get either Celes sword or any thief gear so I can *finally* have an SB for a thief, any thief, and see how they play.

Crossing my fingers that I don't get a bunch of XIII poo poo because I really don't need anymore and it's my least favorite realm on this banner by miles.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

pichupal posted:

You have Agrias though. Shift Protectga to Cecil or switch out Lifesiphon and have her do Spellblades.

Edit: She's not a 5* like Bartz/Celes/Delita/Squall/Paine (I think Orlandeau is the next one and Steiner is getting a 5* buff soon), and can't dive for it like Luneth/Cloud/Balthier/Lightning, so she can't use the best Spellblade stuff, but hitting weaknesses is stronger then Lifesiphon and still pretty good at charging her SB.

I give Agrias a spellblade move when the boss has a weakness she can hit. Cleansing Blade is too good not to use.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Has anyone ever played around with Wrath/ Entrust shenanigans? I keep forgetting entrust even exists. Like maybe if you had two Wind burst users against a boss weak to wind then it might be worth using a character as a wrath and entrust battery to keep them flowing or if you are doing a CM and only one dude has a good damage soul break? I don't know, it just seems like a weird skill to have just sitting there in 5 star land.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

(new player) did the half-price draw thing and now I have a few shinies. I don't know how to tell the difference between the various breaks they give but I got Platinum Fist for Tifa, Starseeker for Serah, Mystic Whip for Rydia, and Magic Comb for Red XIII. I also pulled a couple of Physician's Staves for Vanille yesterday. My question is, I only have Rydia out of those people - who should I spend my first hero soul on? Who is going to do the best job of carrying me a bit?

edit

In case it matters I am using Tyro with a generic 5* sword (zantetsuku?), arc w/ vanille's staff until I get vanilla, rydia with her whip, cloud in generic gear, and luneth with generic gear. Tyro, Rydia, and Cloud are level 50 since I think there was some kind of event that gave me a shitload of exp eggs.

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 5, 2016

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
How worth it is it to set up an imperil team? I landed Fang's Rhomphaia from the Black Friday lucky draw, that puts me with four people with wind elemental SB options, being Fang, Luneth with Gungnir and its en-Wind, Squall with his BSB commands, and Bartz with another en-Wind SB. I'm just curious how the math goes, if there's enough DPS gain to merit using a regular SB to en-Wind Bartz, or if exploiting the imperil is enough to justify Squall's burst commands as a source of element.

Secondary question, how bad do I need to hone Snowspell Strike now?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Orfeo posted:

How worth it is it to set up an imperil team? I landed Fang's Rhomphaia from the Black Friday lucky draw, that puts me with four people with wind elemental SB options, being Fang, Luneth with Gungnir and its en-Wind, Squall with his BSB commands, and Bartz with another en-Wind SB. I'm just curious how the math goes, if there's enough DPS gain to merit using a regular SB to en-Wind Bartz, or if exploiting the imperil is enough to justify Squall's burst commands as a source of element.

Secondary question, how bad do I need to hone Snowspell Strike now?
1) There is enough DPS gain, I don't have the math right now but I can go find it if you like

2) With that team, it is absolutely worth it, though you may have to drop someone, most likely Bartz, since with a healer that team will lack support. Just slap snowspell and aeroga strike on Squall, sky high on Fang, and aerora strike on Luneth to build SB bar between BSB charges. (Remember that even if imperil is weaker than a natural weakness, it still counts as weakness for charging the SB gauge!) Also consider pulling on the Angeal banner for more wind options.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

big cummers ONLY posted:

(new player) did the half-price draw thing and now I have a few shinies. I don't know how to tell the difference between the various breaks they give but I got Platinum Fist for Tifa, Starseeker for Serah, Mystic Whip for Rydia, and Magic Comb for Red XIII. I also pulled a couple of Physician's Staves for Vanille yesterday. My question is, I only have Rydia out of those people - who should I spend my first hero soul on? Who is going to do the best job of carrying me a bit?

There are a few ways to think about it:

1) Do you like one of the characters in particular? Then just go for them! Simple and easy.

2) Which is the most powerful? That is a bit more complex, but basically, you should probably first go with one of the Super Soul Break-characters you got (Vanille or Red XIII). Rydia is good too, but you have her already.

Neither of those are exactly what I'd call a "carry", but both characters fill very important niches. Vanille + Physician's Staff would have you set for a white mage/healer for a good while, though she's also a competent Black Mage early on. While she won't carry you offensively, you'll probably use her for a long while, unless you get another AoE soul break soon. Red XIII + Magic Comb on the other hand is a Support user, which means his lategame niche is in debuffing enemy stats (a must-have in most parties). He can also do secondary black magic, but his SSB (super soul break) is physical, and rather strong compared to your other options.

The OP has a pretty good rundown on differences in soul break power, but basically SSB > SB. However Tifa's is mildly interesting at the start, since her Platinum Fist offers a party-wide boost to physical damage. Comboing that with Red XIII and his SSB is going to be fun early on. Unfortunately it's a bit dated by now though, and you'll have access to better damage boosting options eventually. Meanwhile Serah + Starseeker is ok, but having Rydia with a SSB is going to be a stronger mage option most of the time. Still, Serah's will provide Slow in case a boss wants that as a bonus medal condition.

Or...

3) Wait till tomorrow, when there will be another Lucky Draw, this time covering FF6, 9, 13 and 14. The catch is that this time it's 100% Super Soul Breaks or higher only, with no weaker normal Soul Breaks at all. So just focus on grabbing 25 mythril via dungeons or whatever, and make a decision after that pull.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 5, 2016

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Awesome, thanks for the breakdown! I'm neutral or clueless about what characters' relics I've pulled so far (have only played about half of the FF games) so I will chill tonight and get that Mithril.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Also for the record, getting characters is pretty easy, even if the list might seem pretty daunting at the start. If you end up liking the game and keep playing, you'll eventually get everyone you want with fairly low effort.

It'll just be a bit annoying at the start, since you'll be pulling new relics faster than you get opportunities to get Hero souls.

But it's nothing to stress about, you won't be missing anything long term.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Attestant posted:

3) Wait till tomorrow, when there will be another Lucky Draw, this time covering FF6, 9, 13 and 14. The catch is that this time it's 100% Super Soul Breaks or higher only, with no weaker normal Soul Breaks at all. So just focus on grabbing 25 mythril via dungeons or whatever, and make a decision after that pull.
it should be coming tonight, in about 4 hours and 10 minutes.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

RK makes it easy to get all the characters you want. I've been playing for about four months, and I had every currently-available character as of about a month ago; the issue is more getting soul break relics for people.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I am a big fan of the monetization structure so far which led to me dropping Brave Exvius for this, even though BE looks and runs a lot smoother on my phone. I like that characters are easy to get because I can be suboptimal and just play with people I like if I want :3

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

I am a big fan of the monetization structure so far which led to me dropping Brave Exvius for this, even though BE looks and runs a lot smoother on my phone. I like that characters are easy to get because I can be suboptimal and just play with people I like if I want :3

I dropped BE when I dumped about 30 pulls to try to get a character(Leo) once, and did not get it and returned to FFRK.

For all we say, FFRK is ridiculously generous with it currency and giving you good poo poo while BE feels like a hamster wheel sometimes.

Anyhow, nowdays the great days of Bricking a 11 pull are over, I'm quite eager to see what I'm gonna get for that half-pull. Do we know, by the way, what the finished multiplayer version is gonna be like?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Nihilarian posted:

it should be coming tonight, in about 4 hours and 10 minutes.

Yeah, right, I keep forgetting this. It's just my EU timezone messing my perspective quite a bit. That'll be past 3am for me, so it might as well be tomorrow morning. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hogama posted:

Visual reference for it, organized in DeNA's Realm -> BSB -> SSB order.

Roughly
27% BSB, 73% SSB
29% VI relics, 31% IX relics, 32% XIII relics, 8% XIV relics

I have... 25 of the 52 relics on that banner. :psyduck:

Not sure if it's worth pulling, even at half price. I'm also still feeling a bit salty about my pull on the second VIII banner the other day.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I wonder if I should do the Ultimate today or save my stamina to do more of the dungeon update. I could potentially get an early stamina refresh if I get lucky. Then again, I probably won't get lucky.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I still don't have a single SB relic in the XIII realm despite all the lucky draws featuring it, so this is a definite draw for me.

Watch me get my fourth wizard rod though :v:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I figure my odds of pulling a dupe are astronomically low here. This didn't stop me pulling a dupe Faris BSB in a lucky draw a while back, though!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

W.T. Fits posted:

I have... 25 of the 52 relics on that banner. :psyduck:

:whalenoises:

I will happily, HAPPILY accept a 1/11 tonight as long as that one is Lightbringer VI.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I have seven relics. I woudln't even mind an extra chocobo brush cause it can function as a half-assed mage stick for that realm. And it looks to me like the next U+ is one of those ones designed to be fought with a mage team. Luckily though there are plenty of mages in that realm.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

When you guys say x/11 are you referring to the number of rainbow drops from a pull, or that you already have x out of 11 possible upgrades in the 5*+ range

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

When you guys say x/11 are you referring to the number of rainbow drops from a pull, or that you already have x out of 11 possible upgrades in the 5*+ range

The number of drops from a pull. Luckily the dreaded 0/11 is a thing of the past!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

big cummers ONLY posted:

How many 5* items in a 11-pull.

For the most part, you want to do 11-pulls every single time, since that guarantees you're at least getting 1/11. The 3-pull is always a gamble, since that guaranteed 5* item not a thing there. 1-pull isn't any better. But then, if you feel like spending a bit of money on the game, then every normal banner has a single discounted 1-pull for 100 gems. Or about $1. Usually that's called a Dollar Pull, and a lot of people use money only on those in this game.

IllegallySober posted:

I will happily, HAPPILY accept a 1/11 tonight as long as that one is Lightbringer VI.

I want something for Celes too. :(

Attestant fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 5, 2016

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
I really wish Record Keeper didn't absolutely chug on Android, because trying to do multiplayer is such a drat hassle. It's hard enough working around idiots that insist on not paying attention to a boss's counters and immunities, but then to basically see the rest in a drat slideshow is abysmal. I may have to consider emulation if I keep having issues, but that's a road I'd rather not go down on my main account.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

That's cool. If I still like the game after a month or so, I would be happy to drop $20 to support a fair F2P ecosystem.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Attestant posted:

I want something for Celes too. :(

I have Indomitable Blade but I really want Lightbringer because I want a holy knight of destruction :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I have very few items on that banner but it's not going to stop me from going 1/11 and getting a Wizard Rod or some other SSB I already have, I'm sure. :sigh:

I'd love to get Lightbringer. Either version.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

That's cool. If I still like the game after a month or so, I would be happy to drop $20 to support a fair F2P ecosystem.
The game shits mythril at you, especially when you're new, and I don't think it's worth dropping $30 for an 11-pull is really worth it tbh. If you want to drop money, a good use for it is doing a single 100-gem (dollar) pull on every banner, since that's something you can only do with gems and it's a really efficient way of drawing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Also if you're new and getting into the game right now, it's good to know that a festival will be coming in just a few weeks. These banners are great for newcomers especially. So it might do you good after this lucky draw to accumulate mythril for those.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Cheers. Thank you for all the friendly advice. It makes me feel warm, and not exclusively in my genitals

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Though I would highly recommend a draw on Keeper's Choice 2 just because everything on there is solid, you have a chance of getting one or both of two game-defining relics (sentinel's grimoire and platinum sword), and you get a guaranteed 5* armor (which is rare when you're new) and can pick one with a shared medica (full team heal) on it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Keeper's Choice 2 is a fun idea even if you're not new. New or day 1 player, 5* armor is pretty dang rare.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

IllegallySober posted:

I have Indomitable Blade but I really want Lightbringer because I want a holy knight of destruction :black101:

Indomitable Blade is secretly the original BSB, as long as you pick the right boss to use it against. Just give her Saint Cross and a boss which either counters with magic or uses magic frequently and you've got your infinite cast Holy Knight of Destruction.

Seriously, I pretty much solo'd d220 multiplayer Ultros in Japan with an IB Celes triggering guaranteed Counter Firagas by hitting with Dual Fire Strike, thus refilling Dual Fire Strike's expended charge, etc. Pretty much everyone else who could do damage died about halfway through the fight and it was just Celes, a couple healers, and a spent Papalymo for the final phase.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Holy hell that owns. Glad I have Celes' Magnificent Sword of Constant Victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Zurai posted:

Indomitable Blade is secretly the original BSB, as long as you pick the right boss to use it against. Just give her Saint Cross and a boss which either counters with magic or uses magic frequently and you've got your infinite cast Holy Knight of Destruction.

Seriously, I pretty much solo'd d220 multiplayer Ultros in Japan with an IB Celes triggering guaranteed Counter Firagas by hitting with Dual Fire Strike, thus refilling Dual Fire Strike's expended charge, etc. Pretty much everyone else who could do damage died about halfway through the fight and it was just Celes, a couple healers, and a spent Papalymo for the final phase.

Yeah and it's the one SB I don't have for Celes...not that I wouldn't mind having another Lightbringer copy, but Indomitable Blade owns for Celes.

• Locked thread