Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

cage-free egghead posted:

Pretty sure you're getting it mixed up with the F6 or something. Before the G2 was the Optimus G and those phones so I'm not sure where you're getting G6 from.

No, they have a TV by the name of LG G6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Apparently 7.1.1 is bringing Google's GIF keyboard and app shortcuts to Nexus devices.

How does the GIF keyboard work? Does it just do a Google search for whatever or does it just have a set of built-in GIF's, or, what?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Post-mortem on the Note 7 battery issues, although not from Samsung so who knows how accurate it actually is...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/instrumental-galaxy-note-7-teardown-news/

"They discovered the battery was so tightly packed inside the Galaxy Note 7's body that any pressure from battery expansion, or stress on the body itself, may squeeze together layers inside the battery that are never supposed to touch -- with explosive results. Batteries swell up under normal use, and we place stress on a phone's body by putting it our pocket and sitting down, or if it's dropped. Tolerances for battery expansion are built into a smartphone during design, and Instrumental notes Samsung used "a super-aggressive manufacturing process to maximize capacity." In other words, the Galaxy Note 7 was designed to be as thin and sleek as possible, while containing the maximum battery capacity for long use, thereby better competing against rival devices such as the iPhone 7 Plus and improving on previous Note models. The report speculates that any pressure placed on the battery in its confined space may have squeezed together positive and negative layers inside the cell itself, which were thinner than usual in the Note 7's battery already, causing them to touch, heat up, and eventually in some cases, catch fire. Delving deeper into the design, the engineers say the space above a battery inside a device needs a "ceiling" that equates to approximately 10 percent of the overall thickness. The Galaxy Note 7 should have had a 0.5mm ceiling; it had none."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Apparently 7.1.1 is bringing Google's GIF keyboard and app shortcuts to Nexus devices.

How does the GIF keyboard work? Does it just do a Google search for whatever or does it just have a set of built-in GIF's, or, what?

It searches, so you can get really specific. It also has some predefined categories you can choose from, like "high-five", "clapping", "thumbs up", "yes", "no", and "recently used".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

well thats cool. I really want to irritate my wife with some GIFs.

Someone quick remind me the ins and outs of flashing factory images or OTA's if thats even possible any more. It's been years since I've messed with that poo poo instead of just waiting for the OTA like a normal non-nerd.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Someone quick remind me the ins and outs of flashing factory images or OTA's if thats even possible any more. It's been years since I've messed with that poo poo instead of just waiting for the OTA like a normal non-nerd.

If you are Bootloader unlocked, and want to do a clean flash Would recommend backing up everything you can get your hands on plugged into a PC beforehand. Also if you like to keep SMS messages, SMS Backup & Restore.

Also you can get the same GIF access with Flesky currently on any Rom. And probably a few other 3rd party keyboards.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

OTA is easier since you don't have to wipe. Just download file, plug device into adb to reboot to recovery then flash the zip file that was downloaded. The step by step instructions are on the OTA page.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

comper posted:

OTA is easier since you don't have to wipe. Just download file, plug device into adb to reboot to recovery then flash the zip file that was downloaded. The step by step instructions are on the OTA page.

Yeah, this is what I did. Thanks.

I didn't feel like installing the SDK, so I just used this terrible XDA thing to install adb and fastboot: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, this is what I did. Thanks.

I didn't feel like installing the SDK, so I just used this terrible XDA thing to install adb and fastboot: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

I've used that for years and whenever anyone moans about how hard it is to install adb/fastboot I always bring it up

The SDK is so unnecessary

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

hooah posted:

Does anyone know if the Pixels have apt-x for Bluetooth? I did a quick Google search, but only found people asking.

Nope. As I understand, it requires some sort of licensing fee, that of which only Samsung, LG, etc, will pay for.

Google "won't."

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Hrmph. Seems like the GIF keyboard thingy isn't working in Hangouts for some reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually managed to get this OTA with no intervention on my part on release day for once.

This update DOES include double tap and lift to wake.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Good to see more deprecation of the power button

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What they need to do now is adopt Motorola's long press to sleep on fingerprint sensor.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Actually managed to get this OTA with no intervention on my part on release day for once.

I wonder how they decide which phones get the update each day. I checked this morning and no update but decided to check after reading your post and sure enough it's there. It's nice that Verizon is actually keeping its promise to not hinder the updates

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Hrmph. Seems like the GIF keyboard thingy isn't working in Hangouts for some reason.

People on Reddit yesterday were saying that the gif keyboard worked for a couple days, then mysteriously stopped working. It seems to be something Google can turn on and off server-side.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got my Daydream View promo code.

Google store can't process any orders.

:negative:

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

nimper posted:

The novelty of VVM is that you don't have to call in to get your messages.

We Google Voice users have been spoiled with the transcriptions these many years, even if said transcriptions aren't always great.

I've never used google voice and my voicemail transcriptions automatically pop up on my phone voicemail.....unless I'm missing something here

*I'm on Fi if that matters

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

torturemyballs posted:

*I'm on Fi if that matters

It does. Your voicemail is Google voice on the backend.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

People on Reddit yesterday were saying that the gif keyboard worked for a couple days, then mysteriously stopped working. It seems to be something Google can turn on and off server-side.

Oh ok. Hopefully it'll get turned on and stay on at some point.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

On pixel?

Damnit, I dont see the update yet. :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ilkhan posted:

On pixel?

Damnit, I dont see the update yet. :(

Yup, Pixel. It has both of the new move actions.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I have a Nexus 5, should I flash CyanogenMod, or stay on an official version of Android that doesn't receive even security updates?

I'd rather not buy a new phone right now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:v: took off the case I bought last week, drat thing adds way too much bulk.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Also got the 7.1.1. update on my Nexus 5x last night after checking again, which is like the first time ever I've not got the OTA weeks after it first rolled out. Are Google finally just updating when you check now?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Post-mortem on the Note 7 battery issues, although not from Samsung so who knows how accurate it actually is...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/instrumental-galaxy-note-7-teardown-news/

I don't know that this is a surprise, necessarily. I remember hearing some rumblings that were either from internal sources or external research that suggested the battery compartment could've been physically too small.
But also loving :laffo: Samsung.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

I don't know that this is a surprise, necessarily. I remember hearing some rumblings that were either from internal sources or external research that suggested the battery compartment could've been physically too small.
But also loving :laffo: Samsung.

No no, people want a thinner phone! A phone so thin that when held your palm touches the capacitive screen! I miss the thickness of my Lumia 920. :smith:

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yup, Pixel. It has both of the new move actions.

Got this update on my Verizon Pixel on release day as well. However the new moves seem to only work if there's an actual notification present, whereas Motorola's active display would show the time even if no notification is present. Does this sound accurate or am I not double tapping correctly?

Edit: actually I think the moves are related to whether the phone is locked or not. I had my phone set to not lock immediately and it would not display anything on a double tap until the phone is locked.

FACKER fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 6, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It must be due to the sleep state. My phone is technically unlocked all the time due to smart unlock, but both moves still work. Power button is set to lock immediately though (even though it stays unlocked due to my moto 360.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am all about these new moves. Taking the best parts from the Moto line is a good thing.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I was late for the Thanksgiving deals on Google Home and a new Chromecast. Does Google, or anyone else, like BestBuy, usually offer another round of deals closer to Christmas?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Finally got ahold of Google to replace my 6P under warranty for the Speakerphone and battery issue. Tried a few more software thing like flashing the factory 7.1.1 image so everything was 100% fresh and while the phone runs absolutely fantastic, Speakerphone Mic still doesn't work (It pretty much Mutes me from the person on the other end) and the battery lasted till about 12% before it shut down again which is better than 20%, but still annoying as hell that 12% shouldn't be 0%. If the battery is degrading, then move the drat 0% up to where it should be now dangit. The moving power finish line really makes lasting through the day a crapshoot.

Lets hope that the Google Refurbs aren't too bad. I have had mixed luck in the past. (Sometimes better than new, sometimes look like it was buried at the beach, brushed off, and boxed up.)

Also if you were having issues with the Google Store yesterday, it was some weird issue on their end. It should be better today and they knew about it but weren't exactly sure what was going on.

Have to give it to them though, their customer support is pretty good at Google for hardware support.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Supposedly the Droid Turbo on Verizon is finally being updated to Android 6 today. Back to only being one major release behind! :shepface:

I haven't gotten an OTA though. :smith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://www.sammobile.com/2016/12/06/exclusive-galaxy-s8-is-not-going-to-feature-a-3-5mm-headphone-jack/

quote:

We can exclusively confirm that Samsung is going to remove the standard 3.5mm headphone jack from the Galaxy S8. This means that all of your existing headphones will not be compatible with the upcoming flagship unless you use a USB Type-C adapter as the Galaxy S8 will feature a USB Type-C port. This also means that you won’t be able to plug in the Galaxy S8 and use wired headphones at the same time.

courage

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

quote:

This also means that you won’t be able to plug in the Galaxy S8 and use wired headphones at the same time.

This is the real problem. I wonder if there can be a splitter of some sort.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

We had a horrible disastrous product recall because we tried to make the phone thin by squeezing a battery into a compartment that was too small

Let's make the phone thinner by removing the headphone jack :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

We had a horrible disastrous product recall because we tried to make the phone thin by squeezing a battery into a compartment that was too small

Let's make the phone thinner by removing the headphone jack :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Hey, everyone loved it so much when Apple did it with the iPhone 7!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I believe the one positive thing about removing the headphone port is that it helps making the phone waterproof easier.

But outside of that, I'm not a fan.

If they just want to make the phone thinner, what the hell is keeping them from going to a 1/8 port instead? Sure you would need an adapter for your current headphones, but at least that isn't a freaking dongle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have no problem with USB-C headphones, but I do have a problem with having to carry around a dongle if I want to charge and listen to headphones at the same time :(