Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
1. the chandelier of horns can apparently symbolize... cuckoldry? perhaps?
2. the beaver represents castratation
3. notice the statue of Jesus on the table. Notice how the white cloth seems to rise from the pelvic area.

I'm starting to think I have a Dan Brown book on my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I heard Nikolai Nikolai in English today and man, it isn't very good

Don't sing that song in English please

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

*Most of the proud pagan last standers/pagans 2016 come from nationalist circles who don't care about stuff like that.

These people are certainly not that, one of them just studied the history and liked the stories. I can't blame them, I wish some of the old stuff, like not treating women as property, had been kept on. The other just hate the Russian state a whole lot.

Tias posted:

The Danish pagan associations leadership is still taken over by members of a blót guild that are nazis in all but name. These good old blut und bacon folks claim that the faith is tied to nordic blood, despite the fact that no evidence for this can be found in the hávamál, nor in any saga or myth associated with the faith :eng99:

And this is why I can't get rune tattoos without looking like a white supremacist. Which I really really hate.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CountFosco posted:

1. the chandelier of horns can apparently symbolize... cuckoldry? perhaps?
2. the beaver represents castratation
3. notice the statue of Jesus on the table. Notice how the white cloth seems to rise from the pelvic area.

I'm starting to think I have a Dan Brown book on my hands.

A time capsule from sixteenth century 4chan

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bel_Canto posted:

my university choir has, i just learned, decided to schedule our concert on the holiest night of the year. once i've calmed down from apoplectic rage, exactly how much poo poo should i raise over this?

Lots. See if you can find other people who are going to (I'm guessing??) midnight Mass so that you can say "Ten of us have religious obligations that night, can you please reschedule, because I'm sure people in the audience will have the same issue"?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bel_Canto posted:

my university choir has, i just learned, decided to schedule our concert on the holiest night of the year. once i've calmed down from apoplectic rage, exactly how much poo poo should i raise over this?

To ask a quick question, and not meaning to be rude at all, but I always thought "Easter" was a more important general time? Or is this time of year the most important night? Sorry that must sound rude, I do apologise.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Bel_Canto posted:

Raise all the poo poo you can. That's nonsense. Also write a letter to the editor and use the word fart a lot.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

St. Thomas More re: Luther posted:

But meanwhile, for as long as your reverend paternity will be determined to tell these shameless lies, others will be permitted, on behalf of his English majesty, to throw back into your paternity’s lovely mouth, truly the poo poo-pool of all poo poo, all the muck and poo poo which your damnable rottenness has vomited up, and to empty out all the sewers and privies onto your crown divested of the dignity of the priestly crown, against which no less than against the kingly crown you have determined to play the buffoon.

In your sense of fairness, honest reader, you will forgive me that the utterly filthy words of this scoundrel have forced me to answer such things, for which I should have begged your leave. Now I consider truer than truth that saying: ‘He who touches pitch will be wholly defiled by it’ (Sirach 13:1). For I am ashamed even of this necessity, that while I clean out the fellow’s poo poo-filled mouth I see my own fingers covered with poo poo.

The Reformation was a shining beacon of enlightened intellectual discourse okay

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Josef bugman posted:

To ask a quick question, and not meaning to be rude at all, but I always thought "Easter" was a more important general time? Or is this time of year the most important night? Sorry that must sound rude, I do apologise.

What I mean is that our concert happens on Holy Saturday/Easter Vigil, which is in fact the holiest night of the year. Turns out it was the university itself that forced us to do it; they booted us out of what would be our normal slot so they could have a major hoopla in the central auditorium/concert space on campus. Ughhhh this is so infuriating.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bel_Canto posted:

What I mean is that our concert happens on Holy Saturday/Easter Vigil, which is in fact the holiest night of the year. Turns out it was the university itself that forced us to do it; they booted us out of what would be our normal slot so they could have a major hoopla in the central auditorium/concert space on campus. Ughhhh this is so infuriating.

Is a religious holiday conflict not a valid excuse for missing a performance? They're forcing you to put one over the other, and they're going to lose.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

StashAugustine posted:

when my dad visited a few weeks ago, he told me he had recently explained the printing press and the Reformation to his confirmands, with the analogy that "it's like how you guys now have text messaging and the internet in your pocket" :haw:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Deteriorata posted:

Is a religious holiday conflict not a valid excuse for missing a performance? They're forcing you to put one over the other, and they're going to lose.

I mean it'd be valid if I took it, but I'd feel bad citing an obligation conflict: it's not that I need to go to Vigil, just that I prefer it. I can fulfill my religious obligations just fine by going the next morning instead.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Josef bugman posted:

These people are certainly not that, one of them just studied the history and liked the stories. I can't blame them, I wish some of the old stuff, like not treating women as property, had been kept on. The other just hate the Russian state a whole lot.

One of our treasured stories is about our grand duke falling in love with a vestal/shrine maiden/fire-keeping virgin and stealing her away!

Hating the Russian state is a noble tradition that's at least 200 years old.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bel_Canto posted:

Yeah. That's the big night. drat, that's bad. I'm sorry. I agree, making a fuss in the newspaper may be your only hope.

e: It's not just about obligations, though. The Vigil is one of the most beautiful ceremonies of the year.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yep, and actually it wasn't the only portrait the cardinal commissioned from Cranach of him as St. Jerome, either. Actually we have four of them that survived. Here's another one:

tag urself I'm the angry lion-dog creature

I was going to say I was the amazing black steam-dildo on the stump, but have decided I'm the chicken surfing the other chicken.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This fuckin post...

Don't talk, maybe it'll go away!!

Josef bugman posted:

And this is why I can't get rune tattoos without looking like a white supremacist. Which I really really hate.

Honestly that one's been a problem since SS Ahnenerben, maybe even Guido von Liszt! As long as you don't go full wolfsangel/othala-with-legs no one will care.

genola
Apr 7, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when my dad visited a few weeks ago, he told me he had recently explained the printing press and the Reformation to his confirmands, with the analogy that "it's like how you guys now have text messaging and the internet in your pocket" :haw:

As it was back in Luther's day, I feel like that definitely explains a lot of the crazy political stuff going on in the world right now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the difference between the Dream of the Rood and the fake news explosion is mass literacy

the difference between the fake news explosion and 17th century printed works is very little whatsoever

edit: also widespread lay literacy and the printing explosion predate copyright by hundreds of years so pirated media is also a thing in the 17th century, like the second volume of Don Quijote mentions a whole bunch of fake second volumes that came out right after the first one got popular

you'd probably have to be careful your fake media didn't come with viruses then too

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 6, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Thought that you guys might appreciate this:

My parish priest getting arrested by the city watch :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Thought that you guys might appreciate this:

My parish priest getting arrested by the city watch :v:
we've all been there

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Santa Claus is going to town (on your rear end)

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

I was going to say I was the amazing black steam-dildo on the stump, but have decided I'm the chicken surfing the other chicken.

It's too bad that the Most Holy Sphincter Blaster of St. Jerome has been lost to the sands of time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

Make a fuss, Bel_Canto. Can they change your concert to a different concert hall? I dunno how big your campus is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

JcDent posted:

One of our treasured stories is about our grand duke falling in love with a vestal/shrine maiden/fire-keeping virgin and stealing her away!

Hating the Russian state is a noble tradition that's at least 200 years old.

They are certainly sincere about the later. I learned a tonne of new swear words after the whole "ukraine" thingamajig.

I more meant in terms of Icelandic and, what little we have of, Nordic law.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/07/charleston-church-shooting-dylann-roof-trial-mother-emanuel

quote:

Researchers at the University of South Carolina who examined race relations in the state a year after the mass shooting found only 30.9% of black South Carolinians supported the death penalty for Roof, compared with 64% of white residents.

Love your enemies, do good to them who hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them who shamefully use you...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://twitter.com/EnglishRussia1/status/806446892406231040

E: not related to the post above.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Just saw this :krad: icon of Gods all seeing eye and was reminded of your post!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Biggest fans of death penalty are usually people who can be described as white trash.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Biggest fans of death penalty are usually people who can be described as white trash.
that is a hurtful term in the us for white people who are poor, please do not use it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
looks like the street sword dude

which nationality has the gooniest orthodox priests, my money is on the russians

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAL posted:

looks like the street sword dude

which nationality has the gooniest orthodox priests, my money is on the russians

I don't know if there are official numbers, but from my experience, Russian Orthodox priests are definitely more, uhm, on the heavy side compared to other churches.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/07/charleston-church-shooting-dylann-roof-trial-mother-emanuel

Love your enemies, do good to them who hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them who shamefully use you...

I'm not trying to imply anything but I think it has more to do with being a community that has experienced a lot of systemic corruption surrounding the justice system, especially the death penalty, that has left many people in that community with little to no confidence in the system as a whole. Though applying that distrust and desire to see the system reformed to someone like roof is somewhat unexpected. But I can understand why the black community as a whole might not see the death penalty in the same way as the white community.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

Look at post-apartheid South Africa; a lot of politically active anti-apartheid black South Africans were simply "disappeared" along with their families by the Project Coast guys, and it seems likely that very few of the perpetrators will ever be brought to justice, but the black South Africans practice forgiveness anyway.

Which actually raises an interesting question that I've struggled with. Is forgiveness good in this instance? Would being obstinate in forgiving the apartheid government for their crimes make secular justice more likely to happen? Or is it simply the only avenue available for black South Africans for reconciliation and healing in the face of the reality of a corrupt judicial system?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Which actually raises an interesting question that I've struggled with. Is forgiveness good in this instance? Would being obstinate in forgiving the apartheid government for their crimes make secular justice more likely to happen? Or is it simply the only avenue available for black South Africans for reconciliation and healing in the face of the reality of a corrupt judicial system?
You can forgive people and still desire that justice be done for a whole lot of reasons--upholding an honest social order, making sure it never happens to anyone again, a warning to people who would do the same, etc

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

You can forgive people and still desire that justice be done for a whole lot of reasons--upholding an honest social order, making sure it never happens to anyone again, a warning to people who would do the same, etc
Note that there's a separate issue, one churches differ on, of whether the death penalty itself constitutes justice. I'm pretty sure that official Catholic doctrine is anti-death-penalty? Myself, I incline to believing that the death sentence is irrevocable, and that life imprisonment allows people the chance to repent, and allows the system to backtrack from false convictions.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Note that there's a separate issue, one churches differ on, of whether the death penalty itself constitutes justice. I'm pretty sure that official Catholic doctrine is anti-death-penalty? Myself, I incline to believing that the death sentence is irrevocable, and that life imprisonment allows people the chance to repent, and allows the system to backtrack from false convictions.

Official Catholic doctrine is that the death penalty is permissible, but if there's a way to keep society safe from a violent individual that doesn't involve chopping off that individual's head, non-fatal punishments are better. Some Catholics have criticized this for focusing too much on society and not at all mentioning a state's right to retributive punishment, but I think the implication is intended to be "whether or not you have a right to hang cattle thieves, a just society would forego that right", not "oops we forgot to mention that the government is still entitled to electrocute folks".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Note that there's a separate issue, one churches differ on, of whether the death penalty itself constitutes justice.
oh, no doubt, but you could extend The Phlegmatist's question to all punishments administered by someone who isn't you. Is it OK to demand [x] even if you've forgiven the person who wronged you?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

oh, no doubt, but you could extend The Phlegmatist's question to all punishments administered by someone who isn't you. Is it OK to demand [x] even if you've forgiven the person who wronged you?

I don't think demanding a particular sentence is compatible with forgiveness. Accepting that there are civil penalties for actions and being content with whatever those are is different.

If I have forgiven someone for their crime against me, my part in it is done. If the civil authorities drop the charges and set him free, or it they lock him up for life is not my direct concern at that point. Actions have consequences beyond my control. I'm responsible for what I can control.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

There is a reason that cases in English and American law are framed as "The Queen vs. John Doe" or "The State vs. John Doe" rather than "Grieving Widow vs. John Doe". The crime is against an entire society, not just you, and the society does not actually owe you vengeance, even though it is usually framed that way in the media. "I hope he suffers as much as I do because X is dead!" That's not what the law is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In Germany the courts put it even more directly; over here you are sentenced “in the name of the people“. That phrase had got an interesting history, by the way. Before 1918 it was “in the name of the emperor/king/duke/whatever“, depending on where in Germany you were. During the Weimar Republic it was “in the name of the Reich“, which the Nazis changed to “in the name of the German people“. In the years after the war, but before the reestablishment of a German state it was (and this is just a delicious fact imo) “in the name of the Law“. They probably decided on partially reusing the Nazi phrasing afterwards because after 1949 suddenly there were two German states, but still only one German people.

• Locked thread