Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

He gets a lot of these things called Strike-Outs. I know Twins fans are unfamiliar with these from their pitchers lately but I promise you will enjoy them.

The Twins acquired Vance Worley at one point after a couple season where a lot of his success was on called strike outs and, what do you know, when batters started swinging at his pitches it turned out he actually sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
N: Mainichi Shinbun Reports Shohei Otani has signed to a 1 year $2,370,000 deal. This matches Yu Darvish for the largest deal for a 5th year player in NPB history.

I have been going down the rabbit hole of NPB contracts, and labor rules.

• Draftees pay is fixed and you can only negotiate the signing bonus. So far so good.

• You are likely representing yourself. In 2001, Japanese owners gave players permission to be represented by an agent in contract negotiations. However, the use of agents in Japan remains extremely circumscribed. Agents must be Japanese attorneys and Japanese citizens, and each agent is limited to representing only one player. Japanese management contended that the use of agents would create a contentious atmosphere that would undermine the spirit of cooperation in negotiations with players. Tsuneo Watanabe leader of Japan's most prominent team, the Yomiuri Giants stated, "If one of my players brings an agent into contract negotiations, then we'll cut his salary."

• A NPB club has control over a player’s labor as a professional baseball player in Japan for a minimum of seven years. This is for domestic free agency. And those years only count if you are on a team's main 28 man roster. International free agency is 9 years service time. Only twenty-nine players in the NPB used free agency to change clubs between 1993 and 2012.

• Free agent signings incur compensation:
    “A rank” players were in a team’s top three players for salary and compensation is either money (80 per cent of the player’s last salary) or money (50 per cent of player’s salary) and one unprotected player.
    “B rank” players were in a team’s top four to ten salary earners and compensation is either money (60 per cent of the player’s last salary) or money (40 per cent of player’s salary) and one unprotected player.
    “C rank” players are all other players and teams receive no compensation for these players.
    Hiroshima Carp have never signed a NPB free agent. (as of 2015)

• First year salary of a free agent who transfers to a new club cannot exceed the salary paid by his current club.

• A player who changes NPB club as a domestic free agent must complete an additional four years of service to become an international free agent.

• Most players only sign 1 year contracts. Again most likely with no agent. Contracts are based on last years performance.

• In Japanese baseball salary arbitration is more properly characterized as a privilege that may be requested by a player, but that does not have to be granted. Players are theoretically eligible for salary arbitration every year if they can not agree with their club.

• Salary arbitration in Japan are reviewed by a three-person panel consisting of the NPB commissioner and the two league presidents. No neutral party, and no pro-player party.

• There have only been six decisions by the salary arbitration panel in Nippon Professional Baseball. Only once has the player won.

If every one want me to stop this I will make a NPB thread.

Edit forgot my sources:

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=sportslaw

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1648&context=sportslaw

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Mainichi Shinbun Reports Shohei Otani has signed to a 1 year $2,370,000 deal. This matches Yu Darvish for the largest deal for a 5th year player in NPB history.

I have been going down the rabbit hole of NPB contracts, and labor rules.

• Draftees pay is fixed and you can only negotiate the signing bonus. So far so good.

• You are likely representing yourself. In 2001, Japanese owners gave players permission to be represented by an agent in contract negotiations. However, the use of agents in Japan remains extremely circumscribed. Agents must be Japanese attorneys and Japanese citizens, and each agent is limited to representing only one player. Japanese management contended that the use of agents would create a contentious atmosphere that would undermine the spirit of cooperation in negotiations with players. Tsuneo Watanabe leader of Japan's most prominent team, the Yomiuri Giants stated, "If one of my players brings an agent into contract negotiations, then we'll cut his salary."

• A NPB club has control over a player’s labor as a professional baseball player in Japan for a minimum of seven years. This is for domestic free agency. And those years only count if you are on a team's main 28 man roster. International free agency is 9 years service time. Only twenty-nine players in the NPB used free agency to change clubs between 1993 and 2012.

• Free agent signings incur compensation:
    “A rank” players were in a team’s top three players for salary and compensation is either money (80 per cent of the player’s last salary) or money (50 per cent of player’s salary) and one unprotected player.
    “B rank” players were in a team’s top four to ten salary earners and compensation is either money (60 per cent of the player’s last salary) or money (40 per cent of player’s salary) and one unprotected player.
    “C rank” players are all other players and teams receive no compensation for these players.
    Hiroshima Carp have never signed a NPB free agent. (as of 2015)

• First year salary of a free agent who transfers to a new club cannot exceed the salary paid by his current club.

• A player who changes NPB club as a domestic free agent must complete an additional four years of service to become an international free agent.

• Most players only sign 1 year contracts. Again most likely with no agent. Contracts are based on last years performance.

• In Japanese baseball salary arbitration is more properly characterized as a privilege that may be requested by a player, but that does not have to be granted. Players are theoretically eligible for salary arbitration every year if they can not agree with their club.

• Salary arbitration in Japan are reviewed by a three-person panel consisting of the NPB commissioner and the two league presidents. No neutral party, and no pro-player party.

• There have only been six decisions by the salary arbitration panel in Nippon Professional Baseball. Only once has the player won.

Edit forgot my sources:

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=sportslaw

http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1648&context=sportslaw

I find all this fascinating, thanks for posting it

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
drat, seems like Japanese ballplayers don't get paid nearly as much . I'm sure there's reasons but that seems strange to me . They love baseball over there and their stadiums are huge. Would imagine there's a lot more potential revenue

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know how current this is or if it was even true in the first place but I think I remember reading that most of NBP operates at a pretty significant loss.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

bewbies posted:

I don't know how current this is or if it was even true in the first place but I think I remember reading that most of NBP operates at a pretty significant loss.

Yeah, I heard this as well. My understanding was that NBP teams essentially have to annually lease the stadiums they play in rather than owning them and it costs a fortune. Most all of their money goes to the parent company (Softbank, Nippon Ham, etc.). If the team operates at a loss, the parent company can write it off somehow with their taxes, I'm not totally clear on it all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reports are now that the Nats are backing away from a possible McCutchen trade and looking more at Chris Sale

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nationals seem to be about to trade for Sale. Robles and Giolito are included :stare:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/805959375089180672

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok now trade Eaton to the Jays so they don't overpay for Dexter Fowler.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Rand alPaul posted:

Nationals seem to be about to trade for Sale. Robles and Giolito are included :stare:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/805959375089180672

Makes sense, if you're going to trade Giolito and Robles anyway, Sales is a much better prize than McCutchen.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
at least if Dex goes to Toronto I can cheer for him when he comes back to Wrigley in August

and October :getin:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if the nats get sale, that's an insane rotation

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

Not down on the Cubs, but the Nats are NL favorites next year if they pull that off.

Scherzer/Sale in a playoff series is loving terrifying.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ScottyJSno posted:

I think this stuff is super cool but wouldn't be against an NPB thread anyway because more baseball = better!

https://twitter.com/astros/status/805982937338564608

Carlos...what?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 6, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Correa is tall

Also I love the facial hair

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

R.D. Mangles posted:

Until Dusty burns them up and they're too exhausted to pitch effectively deep into the post season.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

quote:

The Rockies have engaged in preliminary talks with the White Sox about trading for Jose Abreu.

The team has also reached out to free agent Edwin Encarnacion.

GET THE gently caress IN.

we're gonna get a first baseman and he's gonna mash like 100 dingers

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 6, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

will_colorado posted:

GET THE gently caress IN.

The Rockies just need to steer into the skid and pick up EE and Trumbo and give the people what they goddamn well know we all want.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

The Rockies just need to steer into the skid and pick up EE and Trumbo and give the people what they goddamn well know we all want.

I'm not for giving up the 11th pick for Trumbo, but for EE, GIMMEE GIMMEE GIMMEE

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jesus the white sox are blowing it the gently caress up

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What's the status on Singleton/Carter, because I think the Rockies should sign them both and move to the AL as God intended.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

I loving hope so. Trade Eaton to the Jays so we can dodge that stupid Fowler contract.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

tadashi posted:

What's the status on Singleton/Carter, because I think the Rockies should sign them both and move to the AL as God intended.

Singleton? He went unclaimed and is off the 40 man so I guess they could grab him in the rule V but if they were going to they'd have grabbed him when he was on waivers in the first place

(he stinks, he OPSed .728 in AAA this season)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

About time.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Singleton's career got derailed by the league's absurd drug policy which led him to drink instead of use marijuana.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

I think Singleton's career got derailed by the league's absurd drug policy which led him to drink instead of use marijuana.

If that's the case then he should have gotten better once he reached the bigs

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intruder posted:

If that's the case then he should have gotten better once he reached the bigs

It seemed like his alcoholism was tied to anxiety and depression, all three things which really difficult to overcome. I feel bad for him.

I saw him in person and he reminded me of a not-fat Kevin Mitchell, this was before his call up and when he was pretty good in AAA.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
N: The Score is reporting that Soler + prospect(s) for Wade Davis is in talks and that the Cubs like the Montero/Contreras combo at C and will look for a veteran to sign on a minor league deal as insurance if one gets hurt.

V: Soler is clearly the odd man out in Chicago and considering the outfield logjam I wouldn't be that upset giving the Royals a chance to see if he can live up to his potential since Davis is pretty lights out if he's in 2015 form. I'd still prefer Jansen, but what can you do? There are also talks that the Cardinals and Royals could do Lorenzo Cain and Davis in exchange for Kolten Wong and prospects (including AAA OF Harrison Bader.)

Also echoing that the Nats seem to understand that they need to go all-in now if they're looking for Sale and also saying that they can't pay Harper after 2018. A Scherzer/Sale/Strasburg/Roark/(Ross-Gonzalez) starting 5 is terrifying to think about.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My only issue with Wade is that his contract ends after 2017. I know we've ragged on him a lot, but Soler is under very cheap team control for the next four years and giving him away plus prospects on top feels like yet another steep price for another short lived closer. I get the Cubs don't want to spend big this offseason in prep for the spree they'll have to go on next offseason, but this feels like a lot to pay to kick the can down the road another year. Unless they think they can get Wade into an extension/he's a stopgap for Edwards to get another year under his belt before taking the job himself.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I do not like Soler + (?) for Davis

I know he's on borrowed time but I hoped it would be for more than that in the long term.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Soler kind of has to go if you expect Zobrist to start in the outfield instead of at 2B because of Baez and that leaves you with way too many outfielders. He's cheap and he has years of control but his last 2 years he's been worth a sum total of 0.1 WAR and he shouldn't be starting over any of the current LF or RF options right now. He's not going to be anything more than a bench guy in Chicago (and after next year he can opt into arbitration so that cheap contract gets more expensive) so I don't see an issue with trying to get value out of him by letting another team try to unlock his potential after Maddon and etc. really couldn't.

Soler and a AA lotto ticket for Davis seems fine to me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Soler for Michael Feliz :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Soler kind of has to go if you expect Zobrist to start in the outfield instead of at 2B because of Baez and that leaves you with way too many outfielders. He's cheap and he has years of control but his last 2 years he's been worth a sum total of 0.1 WAR and he shouldn't be starting over any of the current LF or RF options right now. He's not going to be anything more than a bench guy in Chicago (and after next year he can opt into arbitration so that cheap contract gets more expensive) so I don't see an issue with trying to get value out of him by letting another team try to unlock his potential after Maddon and etc. really couldn't.

Soler and a AA lotto ticket for Davis seems fine to me.

I guess, but it's not like Zobrist has a starting position in the OF if Soler leaves anyway. Schwarber has LF, Soler RF, and Jay/Almora are going to split time in CF. If Baez is going to get to start regularly at 2B, the best Zobrist can get is being platooned with Schwarbs/Heyward. I think it's much more likely we see a similar configuration to this regular season in that Zobrist starts at 2B against righties while Baez gets to start against lefties/when Zobrist needs a day off.

I'll reserve judgement until a deal actually happens or not. If the price does end up just being "Soler + 1-2 lotto tickets" than fine, but if any significant prospects are dealt I'll be pretty salty.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Phillies Fire White Nationalist Pistachio Vendor is my new favorite offseason headline.

http://deadspin.com/phillies-pistachio-girl-fired-for-being-a-white-natio-1789696359

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Rand alPaul posted:

Phillies Fire White Nationalist Pistachio Vendor is my new favorite offseason headline.

http://deadspin.com/phillies-pistachio-girl-fired-for-being-a-white-natio-1789696359

Nutjob loses Nut Job?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Spoeank posted:

Nutjob loses Nut Job?

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Spoeank posted:

Nutjob loses Nut Job?

The quote is from a poster on Deadspin, if any of you don't have it bookmarked, you should.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I had a dream last night that Dexter was surprise staying again but it was just a dream.:smith:

Cubs season ticket prices are up between 20 and 31% depending on section.

http://cubs.brochure-mlb.com/2017/pdfs/plans/daily-prices.pdf

Ricketts and Theo just straight :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thornburg is heading to Boston in what looks like a pretty good deal for a reliever of his caliber, considering 3 more years of team control, especially in this absurd reliever market.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/red-sox-agree-to-trade-with-brewers-relief-pitching-likely-headed-to-boston.html

• Locked thread