Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
3B. They are more honest than the rest, in their own insane aggressive way. The others will lie and skulk around the truth. At least the Takers confront it directly. Much more manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The shapers made this problem. A shaper needs to fix it,

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
3B makes the game MUCH more interesting and doesn't alienate you from a faction.

It's win win.

Alternatively, Join the Obeyers, then the Awakened, and finally the Takers so you can enjoy ALL of the sweet sweet bonuses. :getin:

I guess that would be 5 now that I think about it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 6, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Everyone is going to use us. It's only fair to use them all in turn.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

mauman posted:

Alternatively, Join the Obeyers, then the Awakened, and finally the Takers so you can enjoy ALL of the sweet sweet bonuses. :getin:

This is what will happen if the thread votes for pitting all the sects against each other. :black101:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This is what will happen if the thread votes for pitting all the sects against each other. :black101:

5 it is. (Hi, just caught up!)

Also does the game have the appropriate logic for us to sunder everything Syros worked for, fetter all his power, and leave him helpless but talkative as an exclamation point for the massive "gently caress You" that we'll be delivering at a Shaper tribunal (or more likely that we'll be spilling to a journalist in a dimly-lit abandoned creation pen)? Because I guess we can settle for just unmaking him, guessing that that's all we'll get based on the other gaps in game logic you've shown us, but after that meeting? Holy poo poo.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 6, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

dont be mean to me posted:

5 it is. (Hi, just caught up!)

Also does the game have the appropriate logic for us to sunder everything Syros worked for, fetter all his power, and leave him helpless but talkative as an exclamation point for the massive gently caress You we'll be delivering a Shaper tribunal (or more likely that we'll be spilling to a journalist in a dimly-lit abandoned creation pen)? Because I guess we can settle for just unmaking him, guessing that that's all we'll get based on the other gaps in game logic you've shown us, but after that meeting? Holy poo poo.

Welcome aboard!

Sadly, we don't have a way of delivering Syros to his just reward besides murder. I think the canon ending for him is that he survives, but I'd have to do some pretty extensive digging to confirm whether or not he's mentioned in the sequels.

Of course, there's no reason for us to conform to Geneforge canon in the course of this LP's narrative.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I don't think it's possible to get an ending in this game that conforms to the canon ending. You can get close though.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:getin:

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Yes! Go for 5! The obeyers maybe the closest to actual serviles but they still are rouges.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Welcome aboard!

Sadly, we don't have a way of delivering Syros to his just reward besides murder. I think the canon ending for him is that he survives, but I'd have to do some pretty extensive digging to confirm whether or not he's mentioned in the sequels.

Of course, there's no reason for us to conform to Geneforge canon in the course of this LP's narrative.

Syros survives in canon.

But as mauman pointed out, it's actually impossible to get a perfectly canon ending. So trying to conform to the "real" ending shouldn't factor into your (or others') thinking. Without getting into spoilers, I'll just say that almost all of the endings to the game are actually quite satisfying - none of that "here's a lovely ending if you don't do The One True Path" crap that other RPG's do.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

5. These foolish creations have gone rogue and must be brought to heel.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

3B. The Takers are blunt and to the point, and I think I prefer that over the misdirection the Obeyers tried to employ. As for Awakened vs Takened... Given what was shown so far, I am very disinclined to believe the shapers will just go "Okay, you want to be free, fine" without being at swordpoint.

I am kinda curious what the Sholai rebels think though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
4. We are a Shaper. They are Serviles. As interesting as this experiment in isolation is, we have greater things in mind than playing their politics. Like the Outsiders who are trespassing. Once they are dealt with, then Solution can look into getting off this island, and resolving any lingering issues.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
If you do 5, does the game have an ending which corresponds to that or does it consider that you've joined a particular faction? And, if so, which one?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
5 looks like the best option for two reasons:

-If Solution is getting back to civilization alive, then whoever's there will probably be glad to hear that they could control Serviles with finesse and subtlety, as a Shaper should, and not treat them on the level of humans.

-If they REALLY want to be treated like humans, though? They clearly know enough about politics to be given a fair shot at figuring out that they're being played.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Let someone with authority deal with the Serviles, who really are just playing petty politics amongst themselves. Who cares what serviles think? Our priority is to stop the outsiders; they look to be a legitimate threat to greater Shaper society.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

If you do 5, does the game have an ending which corresponds to that or does it consider that you've joined a particular faction? And, if so, which one?

What happens with the factions really depends on your decisions during the climax and who you've left alive. Joining or not joining sects has a lot more to do with what resources and obstacles await you than the ending you see.

G1's ending chart is much more complicated than any of the subsequent games. Unfortunately, I don't have a good way of ripping all the text - it's not in the scripts as far as I can tell, which means it's in the .dat files I think, and I don't know how to make those human-readable. So getting the rest of the endings after we achieve our narrative's ending will require some bonus updates.

(and lots of murder :black101:)

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
3B, the Takers are dangerous radicals but they're the only ones who realize that every servile on the island is a rogue and will be wiped out if the Shaper Council has their way.

Alternatively, go all Shaper Council and commit mass servile genocide since they're all rogue creations

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
5 Give the Serviles what they want, Yojimbo-style.

I get the feeling that we're on the Shapers' kill list no matter what.
So obviously, we need to set ourselves up as Queen of the island that Shapers do not visit, and it'll save time if you get rid of ambitious ones before their sudden but inevitable betrayals.

Can we get a skull volcano?

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

2. Sincerely join the Obeyers?
They have definitely skirted the line and pushed the boundaries, but they recognize the insanity of the Takers and the naivete of the Awakened and are trying to do the best they can to hold things together. The overall morality of serviles and their place in the order of things might be reasonably questioned, but an abandoned island filled with Shaper secrets and murderous outsiders is not really the place for a complete rejiggering of the social order. This is neither the time nor the place to completely go off the reservation and try to upend the entire planet.

Also, if you want to save the serviles, the Obeyers are really the only option. Supporting the Takers or Awakened is really just delaying the inevitable as the first thing the Shaper Council will do is to kill them with fire. :ssj:

This, absolutely. The Awakened are too weak and naive to really be of help, and are just as likely as the Takers to be obliterated when the Shapers inevitably have to respond to whatever's going on here (if there's another Shaper here, along with you, surely someone will notice soon?)

The Obeyers have had to do some terrible things, but considering how plentiful and vicious the Takers are (not to mention their outsider allies), they've done what they've had to do to survive. That, and the Takers are batshit insane, so anyone that fully opposes them is someone you should ally with.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Upon consideration, I think 1B, although I suspect that's the choice a lot of people made when playing the game themselves.

It makes sense that joining a faction is mostly about trying to get resources to deal with the immediate problems of escaping and maybe stopping the imminent attack on the Shapers by Forces Unknown. That being the case, it makes sense to ally with someone rather than going it alone, and it further makes sense not to ally even temporarily with a faction that is totally bugfuck insane. All three of them have their issues, but the Takers' plan amounts to, quite literally, "let us find the most powerful people in the entire world and attack them head-on, armed with our extensive knowledge of dirt farming, one recipe for munitions that is a couple of centuries out of date, and the absolutely-not-dubious-at-all aid of some random people who just showed up ten minutes ago and definitely are planning to attack the Shapers for strong moral reasons and not for their own purposes".

Not only is it the worst and stupidest plan, it relies on them assaulting people who are for all intents and purposes just like you. A large percentage of their population clearly hates you just for existing, and regardless of what their leaders think, that is not likely to change in the near future. Making an alliance with people who loathe you and are just waiting for the first excuse to murder you is not a life-enhancing move, in general.

On the other side, I'm not sure how you talk to the Obeyers for more than ten seconds without wanting to beat some sense into them with a crowbar, which is likely to be a problem in any kind of alliance-type situation (although who knows, maybe they'd roll with it). Their whole thing of trying to discern true Shapers from fake ones is likely to get them all just as killed if the Shapers ever notice that they still exist, and these idiots would put their heads right in the noose. Further, if there really IS another Shaper around, the Obeyers are much more likely to follow them than Solution, given that Solution is a half-trained apprentice whose only expertise comes from ingesting glowing goo and giggling insanely as her genetic code is rewritten. So we're just asking to get stabbed in the back here.

The Awakened plan of facing the Shapers as equals is hopelessly naive, but they probably don't deserve to be annihilated for that, and if they're going to be, Solution should let the authorities take care of that rather than doing it herself, which is presumably the result of pitting the factions against each other. So, overall, they're the least objectionable faction choice. But let's not kill a Brain Bro if we can possibly avoid it.

I mean, the real solution is "all of them have a point and maybe they should stop fighting pointlessly with each other and figure out how to solve their mutual problems" but, you know.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

4 gently caress em all. They're all rogues who want to use you for their own ends, even the so-called "obeyers".

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for 1b. The Awakened seem to be competent and reasonably organized, the Takers would use us as a weapon and dispose of us when done, the Obeyers seem to.. Be in need of more guidance than we can give. And we probably shouldn't be trying to murdercute things without a reason.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I bought this on steam a while ago and just could not get into it for reasons that elude me now, so I'm really happy that this is getting such an interesting LP. I vote 5 because all these leaders are assholes and I recently watched Yojimbo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna vote 4. We need to find other humans, since none of the other serviles have even wanted to leave.

Also I wonder why this land in particular dried up and blew away.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

1B, because Servant Minds are cute little blobcritters and I'd rather they not die. Also, the Awakened are unlikely to stab you to death in your sleep.

One of the Taker options would be fine, but they're literal starving dirt farmers who want to take on the world's primary military with their bare goddamn hands. It's admirable, but stupid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1B

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

Destroy these rogue creations

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

5, the situation is too dire to play around, this geneforge thing appears to have immense power since it was to be sealed away, the entire world could be and likely is at stake and it's time for Solution to get to work.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

I have never seen this done and think the loot.
Also murderize them all if you can.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

1B. The Awakened are the most sane of the three factions and we have increasing amounts of evidence that the Shapers are assholes of the highest caliber.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'm a little unclear on the question here.

If it's "what are we doing right now", the only sensible answer is 4.

There are actual human beings on Sucia Island, and at least one horrifying device of unknown power, and we're thinking about committing to a course of action involving rogue servile civilizations?

We actually have a pretty good theory about how all this came to pass - Sucia Island is so old that they didn't make their creations sterile. So nature took its course. We have no idea what either faction of the Sholai are up to, nor again what this "Geneforge" thing is all about. Deciding who to cast our lot with is clearly still premature. It is definitely the case that under no circumstances should we pre-emptively attack the Sholai rebels, and that's something the Takers want from us. They can cool their heels.

If the question is instead "what is our ultimate plan once we find our bearings", then barring some kind of major revelation from the Sholai, 5 is the correct choice. The serviles have done well for themselves, it is true - better than we had any reason to expect.

But they have not earned the right to use us as flagrantly as the have been trying to. They can expect only the same in return.

If the Sholai know something shattering that specifically makes one faction more important than the others, then this is something that could influence that basic decision. But that's where I vote that we stand now.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Eh, 5. Screw 'em all. That sounds like the most fun.

Also, though it's not the name of a poster and the list is already quite long, I feel it would only be appropriate to add "boatWhere" to it, considering how many times you've asked "I'm looking for a boat. Where can I find one?"

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just a heads up, the whole geneforge saga is on steam for 6 bucks until the 12th.

Voting for option 5 just to see what all the fuss is about too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Whoa, lots of votes overnight! :yeah:

I added some information about making Geneforge (and other direct draw games for 32-bit systems) run better on 64-bit Windows operating systems to the 2nd post and my twitter (@RedTonicSA) to the first post, since I usually post about updates to the LP there as well, so uhhh yes that's all the not very special LP housework I've done today.

My unscientific impression of the voting is that allying with the Awakened but not killing Control Mind Four is in the lead, but playing all serviles against each other is either barely trailing or neck-and-neck, followed by allying with the Takers and staying out of servile politics.

Rockopolis posted:

5 Give the Serviles what they want, Yojimbo-style.

I get the feeling that we're on the Shapers' kill list no matter what.
So obviously, we need to set ourselves up as Queen of the island that Shapers do not visit, and it'll save time if you get rid of ambitious ones before their sudden but inevitable betrayals.

Can we get a skull volcano?

Doesn't everyone need a skull volcano? Sometimes you just need to feel like a truly efficient overlord, you know, someone who gets things done and doesn't let petty things like social norms stand in the way.

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm a little unclear on the question here.

This is the vote for how we interact with servile factions from here to the end of the game, so overall it's a long term decision.

Lime Tonics posted:

Just a heads up, the whole geneforge saga is on steam for 6 bucks until the 12th.

Voting for option 5 just to see what all the fuss is about too.

Thanks letting us know! I'll add a notice to the 2nd post.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Let's remain neutral and sort this mess out on our own.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
5 since in practice it's basically the same as 4 except with the bonus of getting something out of it for ourselves. The Servile sects all have their flaws and though the Awakened seem the most reasonable, they're also the weakest. It's not like they're not all trying to use us as a weapon against the other sects anyway, so why not take advantage of the situation?

The real best result in ethical terms would seem to be ending the stupid sects and having all of the serviles work together for their common good but failing that keeping them all equally weak seems good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
5 seems the most consistent with Solution's empathy, pragmatism, and overall awareness of the ethical flaws of each faction.

Teach them ALL a lesson for when we're Queen of this place :v:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
5, no doubt. If they're going to play Solution for their own gain, Solution needs to return the favor. Besides, best case scenario, knowing nothing of the game past this point, it might teach them a thing or two about cooperating with each other and bettering their own lot rather than worrying so much about Shapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

1B. This'll end badly, but if the sage was right, we can't morally support the position of the Obeyers. And the Takers are just crazy.

• Locked thread