Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
2/11, Fruity Flute(Ehn.... literally have no FF6 synergy and Kefka is cool, I'm okay. Also continuing my "I cannot get a Rod but I can get every single other loving Mage weapon type" cavalcade, I now have a Dagger, Gun, Instrument, Whip, Staff, Thrown and Book for mages but no Rod.) and Air Knives 14(Hell yes. The SSB and character are decent, the stat stick is fantastic and I don't think it's ever due to show up on a banner worth drawing on. Not worth mentioning yet, but my plans have suddenly shifted towards MAKE THAT WIND 5* THIEF SKILL. I legit was actually hoping for this as an item.).

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

2/11:

Tiara (VI)
Flame Fossil(XIII)

... Flame Fossil is a full breakdown, with Attack/Magic Breakdowns on its commands?
*checks skills on Noel*

Oh you can use Lifesiphon and Shellga? Yeah, welcome to the party buddy. Guess Ramza can drop Full Break for now.

poo poo, Noel would fit my team better than Faris does. I'm hurting for ways to fit a second 4* WHM user

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

IllegallySober posted:

Goondolences. I'm about to make my pull and I expect nothing good. :sigh:

This is the first time I've ever been truly, truly salty about a pull :v:

At least it was only 25.

Inge fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 6, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Well, they aren't dupes, at least. But I don't think they're anything real special, either.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

5/11

Serah's BSB, Locke's BSB, Vivi's Mace of Zeus, Snow's Battle Standard, and Sabin's Tigerfang.

Not really impressed with those SSBs, even though it looks like Snow's is pretty good on paper, but them's some nice nice BSBs.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Oryp posted:

I'm hoping you guys can help me confirm how debuffs work/stack.

I normally run with Ramza (Shout) using full break. I also have Vaan with his Burst and Faris with their Burst (both are debuffs). Finally I just drew Noel's debuff Burst. Do all of these stack? Is it insane to run with all of these at once?
All attacks that debuff the same stat array don't stack. In your case, full break, faris's burst, and noel's burst are all the same debuff (atk/mag/def/res) and will not stack, so you should probably ditch full break and use either Faris or Noel as situation demands, giving them one of your start-with-SB RMs. Vaan's burst is mag/def which is unique and what makes it so nutty, so it stacks with just about anything. His commands are identical to magic breakdown and defense breakdown, and will not stack with those. Faris and Noel's commands are -ATK and -MAG, and the MAG ones will not stack with Vaan's -MAG command.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

2/11

Terra BSB and Beatrix SSB.

I'm fine with that for 25 mythril.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

W.T. Fits posted:

Wizard Rod (IX) and Raines's Gloves (XIII), both of which I already had.

I'm never gonna get a relic for Celes or Vivi. :smith:

We're about 3/4 months off from the Celes/Locke OSB event which has her OSB/BSB (and really old Runic SB) on one Banner. A month after that Vivi has his OSB and BSB on the same Banner too.

If you need VI stuff, Celes's SSB is also on the Leo 1 Banner coming up soon. Relm's Guts BSB seems like fun for multiplayer, and even Cyan gets something decent with an Mblink SSB.

Vivi is sadly a no show in the next IX event though.

Good luck! :unsmith:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Tin Armor and Shiny Thing. I didn't really need more IX synergy armor and Steiner is kind of bad, at least Gau can do something else while chain charging in Cid Missions :shrug:

Was hoping for Relms SSB or something for Beatrix, ah well

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I got Cyan's Murakumo, at least it's ok for CM I guess

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Beasteh posted:

Tin Armor and Shiny Thing. I didn't really need more IX synergy armor and Steiner is kind of bad, at least Gau can do something else while chain charging in Cid Missions :shrug:

Shiny thing is a really versatile, great stat hat, and a fun SSB, albeit probably not good enough to get Gau on the A-team.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Two BSBs, I guess I'm not allowed to complain huh? At least I have non-gun/thrown weapon synergy in XIII content now!

So uh, I know that generally all bursts are good but how good are these two?

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

All attacks that debuff the same stat array don't stack. In your case, full break, faris's burst, and noel's burst are all the same debuff (atk/mag/def/res) and will not stack, so you should probably ditch full break and use either Faris or Noel as situation demands, giving them one of your start-with-SB RMs. Vaan's burst is mag/def which is unique and what makes it so nutty, so it stacks with just about anything. His commands are identical to magic breakdown and defense breakdown, and will not stack with those. Faris and Noel's commands are -ATK and -MAG, and the MAG ones will not stack with Vaan's -MAG command.

Ah okay, thank you for the clarification. So, if I understand correctly I can stack either Faris or Noel's burst with Vaan's. Then the followup commands that are given would also stack, as long as they aren't the same type. Not quite as OP as I was hoping, but still pretty cool. I have been running Faris with Box Step Sarabande, so that would stack, but only if I don't use a different Def down attack.

So, theoretically the best combination could be: Faris-Box Step, Vaan-Burst, Faris-Burst, Faris-atk down, Vaan-mag down. Or if Noel is a better character/fit: Vaan-Burst, Noel-Burst, Noel-atk or mag down, Vaan-def down

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Two BSBs, I guess I'm not allowed to complain huh? At least I have non-gun/thrown weapon synergy in XIII content now!

They're both imperils, Locke with fire, and Fang's with wind, so how good they are really depends on what else you are rolling.

Locke's has a built in mug ATK/MAG and 4-hit fire/holy ST attack.

Fangs is straight up damage, in wind/non ST and AoE flavours.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
They're both imperil BSBs so I would say pretty valuable. Fang's BSB on its own is pretty weak but with the XIV banner coming up if you pull Alphinaud's BSB you will be pretty much set. There's a lot more stuff that can take advantage of imperil fire though.

I went 1/11 and pulled Fang's BSB as well, so I'm hoping I can complete the combo.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Oryp posted:

Ah okay, thank you for the clarification. So, if I understand correctly I can stack either Faris or Noel's burst with Vaan's. Then the followup commands that are given would also stack, as long as they aren't the same type. Not quite as OP as I was hoping, but still pretty cool. I have been running Faris with Box Step Sarabande, so that would stack, but only if I don't use a different Def down attack.

So, theoretically the best combination could be: Faris-Box Step, Vaan-Burst, Faris-Burst, Faris-atk down, Vaan-mag down. Or if Noel is a better character/fit: Vaan-Burst, Noel-Burst, Noel-atk or mag down, Vaan-def down
You can use both commands from the BSBs, no need to bring Box Step. You have burst mode for ~5 turns, more like 6 or 7 with the speed on Vaan's commands.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Fang's is great if you have any other wind synergy, multihit SBs or skills that deal wind damage or gear that boosts wind damage, since it's a wind imperil with two wind damage commands (4x st and 2x mt). Since it deals AE damage and has an AE command, it'll eat multi-target bosses alive combined with Tornado Strike on a spellsword.

Locke's is peculiar, but it seems really nice to be able to synergize with either fire or holy teams, since both are solid types to build a party around/have a lot of viable relics.

EDIT: Ahahaha I was loving right, 2x 5* and neither of them was IX or XIV, realms I literally have no physical synergy 5* for. Still, a Shadow SSB and a Serah BSB for 25 mithril's hard to get upset about.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 6, 2016

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
Went 1/11 with Hope's Last Bastion. Though it wasn't technically a duplicate, I did already have multiple other mage thowers including two of his, so not very useful.
Oh well, at worst I can use one of his others as a rosetta stone now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm not huge on dragoons in general, but that spear + Cloud's en-wind SB and OSB + Bartz' cape lets me hit the OSB damage cap pretty consistently and it's pretty disgusting.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Inge posted:

They're both imperils, Locke with fire, and Fang's with wind, so how good they are really depends on what else you are rolling.

Hmm, I do have Balthier's Strahl Strafe SSB, and Steiner's Sword Magic Firaga, so I suppose I have a decent amount of fire offense.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Fang's is great if you have any other wind synergy, multihit SBs or skills that deal wind damage or gear that boosts wind damage, since it's a wind imperil with two wind damage commands (4x st and 2x mt). Since it deals AE damage and has an AE command, it'll eat multi-target bosses alive combined with Tornado Strike on a spellsword.

I was about to say I don't have much in the way of wind synergy, but then I remembered I have Cloud's Climhazzard and Finishing Touch SBs, so that's nice too!

e: Oh yeah, and Bartz's BSB which has wind commands!

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
In this case, I'd roll with Fang's unless the enemy is fire weak.

If you boost Butts with +wind armour (Cid's goggles / oath veil) and Celes' +40% spellblade damage, he will poo poo damage with flurry storm.

And obviously, en-wind + imperil wind = double damage on OSBs.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Do Not Be Disappointed In The Excellent Full Break BSB

I've been looking at Noel's skillset again and was actually pleasantly surprised, he's actually a lot better than I thought he would be for CMs and I already knew I was getting some good help there. White 4? What's he doing with that!? Between him and Vanille, Proshellga and all the defensive Breakdowns will be covered so yeah, that's actually a lot sicker than I thought. Still, as a Faris BSB-haver, he's too... half of one thing and one third of something else, not quite adding up to a whole. He doesn't have the speed for Thief's Revenge even if you dive him, he can't get Mug Bloodlust period and his weapon options are worse. I don't know that Lifesiphon access makes up for it. Still, I'll admit that this gives me better CM potential than I thought and "my XIII synergy is good enough that I don't need items from the realm anymore but I now have reduced incentive to gun for the Hope/Cid Magic Holy SBs" is very much one of them Good Problems.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, I didn't realize Shadow's SSB knife had so much Mag on it. And it's a dagger. That's a pretty neat stat stick for anybody who can use Ninja.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Hot drat that's a lot of fists. For the first time ever, I'm out of scarletite. And the Battle Standard means I can smash the Power Circles together without worrying about synergy loss.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Quina's Golden Hairpin, Serah's Starseeker, and Yda's Sphairai.

:aaaaa: I have native Boostgas now! :fap:

Now, what to replace my defacto RW of Shout with? I guess I could just use Onion Knight's BSB for the commands.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dang, that's a lot of Snow relics you drew. I was actually hoping for a Snow relic myself since he's stuck using the terrible Power Glove in his home realm and he's also one of the only characters with Ice-based SBs to go with Laguna's new Imperil Ice.

Now I have to decide if I want to burn Mythril on OverClaire 1. It's right after XIV too...

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i started a new game earlier after not playing since a couple months after release.

first 25 banner i pulled on gave 1st fusion sword, magic comb, organics, and wyrmfang.

this new 25 mythril banner gave omnirod and tiara.

not a bad start.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I got Cyan's SSB Steiner's SSB. The last thing I really needed was more VI synergy (Locke's BSB, Terra's SSB, Celes SSB and Rune Blade, Edgar's Drill, Sabin's claw) but oh well. Cyan's seems meh but Steiner's looks ok.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Now that I've got Locke's BSB I gave him 6* thief access, nabbed another Mug Bloodlust, and shattered it. Gave me enough crystals to hone my other copy of Mug Bloodlust.

:getin:

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
So i have four copies of vanilles staff. She any good?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
3/11. Maduin's Horn (meh, but first MAG statstick for VI), Stardust Rod (awesome, plus yet another VI MAG statstick, plus +20 MAG to Terra from mastering both rods), and Dragon Knight's Greatcoat.

Not bad all in all! I can now reasonably run an A-team mage meta in VI content now, and Terra on her own just got a helluva lot stronger, plus it's only my second attack magic BSB (Rydia is the other). However, it's pretty much a bog standard mage BSB without any element on entry (it's non-elemental) or en-element. It'll shine for fire/water weak bosses though. Magitek Missile will just be entirely useless to me, hah.

As for Freya's coat, the only big downside is that the only synergy weapon I have for her in IX is a shared SB dagger. I can more reasonably use her now in a physical CM setup now though, especially on poo poo that's weak to wind or lightning. Now, I just need one more dragoon's SSB/BSB to be able to run a reasonable dragoon meta (Kain, Freya, one more dragoon, support, healer). Actually, I did do something rather rash in diving Gilgamesh to Dragoon 5, and I have his BSB, sooooooooo.....

Inge
Jan 16, 2007

Captainsalami posted:

So i have four copies of vanilles staff. She any good?

Which staff?

She's a pretty versatile sage

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Locke's Valiant Knife and Kuja's Punisher. Not bad, not great, I'll take it regardless.

Also - Inge, Goondolences. That's rough.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Celes' Lightbringer, Serah's Starseeker, Thancred's Air Knives.

...I have drawn two conclusions: one, that the game desperately wants me to use Thancred, since I have every SB released for him to date, and two, that I really need to be using my Holy toolkit since I also have Beatrix's Lightbringer and Raines' gloves.

(The Starseeker is nothing special, aside from being some much-needed extra magic; I have far less magical options than I do physical ones.)

There is, however, a potential issue: I also have Vessel of Fate, which doesn't play nice with Maria's Song, so I'd have to pack a different Hastega.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 6, 2016

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008
Zidane SSB, Celes SSB, Terra SSB, Setzer SSB, and Lightning BSB.

:boom:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Hope's SSB (meh, but at least it's +10 magic for him to use his BSB with) and Garnet's BSB (which is at least a truly excellent stat stick even if the BSB itself is kinda confused about what it wants to do).

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Sazh's Canopus AMPs and Hope's Hawkguy. Okay, that does it. I've got 5 guns with XIII synergy, so I'm taking nothing but gun users into the XIII dungeons. Yuna's healing.

I did an 11 pull on the FF8 Banner 1 since that fist makes monks viable, no matter the synergy. I got Laguna's Sirius and 3 Sorceress's Mights. Not quite what I wanted, but going from no magic supers to a 8 star one is pretty okay, even if it's a thrown one.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SageAcrin posted:

So I just missed mastery on the witch procession U++ by two seconds, give or take.

I'm trying to puzzle out if I care. Every other time I just get the medals out of habit, but I knew Ultimate Ultima's req was stupid going in, tried for it by literally spamming high power SBs on softcapped characters and still failed it. :psyduck:

I managed to beat her before she got an attack off. Her first actual turn was casting Ultimate Double because she was at 10% HP. Then she died.

I brought my mage team (Yuffie with Clear Tranquil and ninja spells, Ramza with Tailwind and breaks, Selphie with BSB and healy stuff, Hope with BSB and summons including Shiva for the medals, and Onion with BSB and filler abilities. Onion and Selphie had the initial SB charges, Hope and Yuffie cleared the multi-target waves, and by the time the Sorceress Elite spawned I had Selphie, Hope, and Onion all in BSB mode raining Hell down on her.

Of course, my 8 synergy is actually pretty good at this point, and having two stacking 30% MAG buffs is huge for mage team DPS. It's definitely not something which everyone can pull off.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Beasteh posted:

Steiner is fine, Knight and Spellblade are great skillsets to work with. There are better characters with that loadout, but Steiner's by no means bad. Also, I believe he eventually gets buffed to natural Spellblade 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Default murder squad is now:

Agrias/Ramza/Noel/Vaan/Tyro.

Agrias is the most replaceable since Noel can do WHM 4 for protectga or shellga too. I can also drop her for higher damage characters/SSBs like Locke/Cid/Luneth but I don't think damage output is going to be problem to anything that isn't basically immune to physical damage since it's Vaan/Noel BSB, Vaan command 2, and Mug Bloodlust for -DEF on whatever I'm fighting.

At this point I just need to pull a nice healer BSB and I should be set for quite some time.

Oryp posted:

I'm hoping you guys can help me confirm how debuffs work/stack.

I normally run with Ramza (Shout) using full break. I also have Vaan with his Burst and Faris with their Burst (both are debuffs). Finally I just drew Noel's debuff Burst. Do all of these stack? Is it insane to run with all of these at once?

My understanding is that the conflicts would be:

Full Break vs Noel BSB attack itself (both are - ATK/DEF/MAG/RES)
Vaan command 1 vs Noel command 2 (both are -MAG)
Mug Bloodlust, if you have that on Vaan, wouldn't conflict with any of their command or skills ( -ATK/DEF)

I forget Faris's BSB commands, but I think the BSB itself is also -ATK/DEF/MAG/RES so it'd conflict with full break and Noel's BSB command if so.

You can use both commands from the BSBs, no need to bring Box Step. You have burst mode for ~5 turns, more like 6 or 7 with the speed on Vaan's commands.

Can confirm. Vaan's commands are crazy fast and you get off 6-7 actions using them, or 5-7 if you sneak in a regular skill like mug bloodlust or thief's revenge.

• Locked thread