Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Hard Gay's Dick

With a fairly routine mission for today I decided to pull in good friend Ahriman PK for this video. With a fairly standard Guerrilla Mission to deal with I sub in some of our back ups to try to get other soldiers leveled up like Duke Nukem so I can have a pistol sharpshooter made at some point so Guava shuts up. Other than than it's largely business as usual with the rush to get into east Africa still being my top priority and becoming even more urgent with the the steady advancement of the Avatar Project. Worse still was the choice of Dark Events, two of which will accelerate the project tracker and I am rapidly running out time to start dealing with that. I need to start knocking down alien facilities and fast.

We spot a new alien in this mission, and while I pour firepower on it to kill it before it can do much of anything Archons are dangerous. The ugly, aggressive, and unstable Floaters of the original invasion have been replaced by something more refined. Having undergone what must be massive reconstruction and medical processes the purple skinned hell torsos are replaced by something that looks like it was designed with angelic symbology in mind. Sleek and in white and gold tones the Archons look like something ADVENT put out to be the public face of their alien forces. Sleek, shiny, and playing towards earthen iconography to inspire an sense of awe and worship rather than fear. On the practical side of things Archons are a dangerous combat unit, about on par with Cyberdisks from the first game. They have a large chunk of HP (20) and they have the ability to dodge allowing them to extend their life beyond just the normal 20 HP. Archons are tough to hit too due to their flying nature. They can't be caught out of cover due to that nor can they be flanked. Again similarities that play into my comparison of them against Cyberdisks. The differences start piling up on looking at their offensive powers though. Archons are primarily a melee fighter, usually choosing to close the distance to enemy troops and hitting them with the staff it carries for considerable damage, somewhere around 8 points. They are capable of ranged fire however, using their staff like the baddies of Stargate and firing a plasma shot from range. Lastly they have a unique ability to fly up into the sky and call down several missiles on top of enemy soldiers. These missiles take a turn to arrive at their target so it's usually trivial to avoid them but it will force you out of position and may lead to an Archon coming down out of the sky in the middle of your forces after the attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Jade has been corrupted by the christmas snek.

"I'm hard" -Jade 2016

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 6, 2016

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You know, as much as I'm with Jake in that the Avatar timer is just reeking of bullshit for him, I have to admit that it does make for a good LP since Jade's got to think a hell of a lot more on his feet. I think myself and a lot of people felt that EW went a little too smoothly, so seeing the game cranking up and not giving you as much of a break does make the LP a bit more... realistic, I think the word I'm looking for is.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I don't remember if this came up earlier during Beaglerush chat, but I find it funny how he took credit for "Fix your game, Jake" to Jake Solomons face.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I don't remember if this came up earlier during Beaglerush chat, but I find it funny how he took credit for "Fix your game, Jake" to Jake Solomons face.

Was this in the video during the visit to Firaxis?

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Yep

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I understand that folks may not like Beaglerush but do we NEED to do this every single page?

Is it adding anything to the thread outside of negativity? Best to just let sleeping dogs lie.

Edit: Erm... pun not intended.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 6, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh Archons, how I loathe thee. It's probably just confirmation bias, but those fuckers have wrecked more missions more consistently for me than any other enemy in the game, most often by refusing to die when shot at by four or five people per turn.

I don't think I'd call them the cyberdisc equivalent, though, that one's still coming up. I think I'd call them more of a muton or lobsterman analogue (given that the twoton sure isn't). They're fast, they're good at disrupting your position, they can do a lot of damage when they want to, and they can be very unreasonable about lying down and dying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every new enemy type we meet makes this game look less fun to play.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Oh Archons, how I loathe thee. It's probably just confirmation bias, but those fuckers have wrecked more missions more consistently for me than any other enemy in the game, most often by refusing to die when shot at by four or five people per turn.

I don't think I'd call them the cyberdisc equivalent, though, that one's still coming up. I think I'd call them more of a muton or lobsterman analogue (given that the twoton sure isn't). They're fast, they're good at disrupting your position, they can do a lot of damage when they want to, and they can be very unreasonable about lying down and dying.

I think they're supposed to be a floater analogue. A completely juiced up floater but a floater nonetheless.

Brunom1 posted:

I understand that folks may not like Beaglerush but do we NEED to do this every single page?

Is it adding anything to the thread outside of negativity? Best to just let sleeping dogs lie.

Edit: Erm... pun not intended.

Alright :smith:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

None of the enemies are too bad on Commander difficulty that we have seen so far. Hell, even the Sectopod is a lot more manageable now then in the last game with the right skills and ammo types. Of course the final regular enemy is a complete nightmare to fight.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

CJacobs posted:

You do get a lot of abilities and ways to murder aliens in new and increasingly explosive ways, so it's not all that bad.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

What, seriously? Beagle took Guava and my 'Fix your game, Jake' meme(catchphrase?repeated semi-funny line?) and claimed credit for it to jakes face? Wow, what the gently caress. So I have a valid reason I can legitimately hate beagle for being a lovely person, and not just an over popular mediocre youtuber.

Er right yeah okay, I think we've exhausted the beagle discussion for the thread. Let's kill it here. No more beagle talk.

Also in case anyone couldn't guess the song I had to edit out was "Power" by Kayne West. RIP Skyranger DJ, you will be added to the memorial wall.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

You do get a lot of abilities and ways to murder aliens in new and increasingly explosive ways, so it's not all that bad.

Yeah, I think explosives are broken as hell in this game.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Jade Star posted:

Also in case anyone couldn't guess the song I had to edit out was "Power" by Kayne West. RIP Skyranger DJ, you will be added to the memorial wall.

Oh man that would have been great.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

GoneRampant posted:

You know, as much as I'm with Jake in that the Avatar timer is just reeking of bullshit for him, I have to admit that it does make for a good LP since Jade's got to think a hell of a lot more on his feet. I think myself and a lot of people felt that EW went a little too smoothly, so seeing the game cranking up and not giving you as much of a break does make the LP a bit more... realistic, I think the word I'm looking for is.

I also wanted to address this one a little more directly. The first LP gave me a unusual set of opening missions and rewards that let me rush the early game satellite coverage like I'd never managed to before in any game I'd played or streamed. When that happened in the LP i had to dive on it and do everything I could with it because it was just amazing to me to be able to get away with the building and stuff I did. I remember some people being a bit dissenting about how it was a miracle set up and left things easy for me through the rest of the game.

The avatar project in the current LP game is a bit nuts. I've never played where the ocean based progress would occur moments before a facility was constructed for three months in a row. Either that is some really damning coincidence, or it's a minor bug or glitch but I really think it's loving me over. That is really some aggressive progress there and I'm really worried about it now. After the last video I have 1 pip of project left and a Dark Event that will go into effect soon to hasten the construction of a new facility. I am really kind of hosed here. Thankfully if more interruptions don't pop up I'll be able to start making progress on clearing out a few facilities to give myself breathing room. This is still the closest I've ever come to loving up the avatar tracker. It's not in my nature to ride it out near the red line, I much prefer to keep that thing as low as possible at all times.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Was anyone wearing the snake armor that you built? I didn't see anything obviously snakelike.

Out of curiosity, what does it do? Seems like it would have to be pretty good to be worth spending a bunch of resources on a single suit of armor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bremen posted:

Was anyone wearing the snake armor that you built? I didn't see anything obviously snakelike.

Out of curiosity, what does it do? Seems like it would have to be pretty good to be worth spending a bunch of resources on a single suit of armor.

It has a grappling hook, and can pull enemies to you like the snakewomen can.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Snakesuit takes about a week in the proving ground. We might get it out next mission when I contact east africa and hit the facility, but maybe not. I havent loaded up to check the time remaining vs the contact time on the globe.

You will know it when you see it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Bruceski posted:

It has a grappling hook, and can pull enemies to you like the snakewomen can.

I think it has some built in Defense as well.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

seaborgium posted:

I think it has some built in Defense as well.

The same, or slightly better than the spider suit. We'll get to it but the snake suit is really just a spider suit with a cool freeze whip thingy built into it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Take a rookie named Skyranger DJ out in the field and purposefully get him killed so this can be a reality :allears:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Take a rookie named Skyranger DJ out in the field and purposefully get him killed so this can be a reality :allears:

I was really considering this. I want to find a way to try to do it sneaky and off camera so just one day we look at the memorial wall and he's there. Not sure if I can pull that off. Maybe could have done it before I had both squad size upgrades and just ran a mission and been 'yep, totally dont have that last size upgrade yet...' and cut away footage of some lone soldier running off and dying.

Just in case anyone has been watching my LP as well as Lunethex's LP of Battlezone I got a little bored between rerecording the next mission (because I forgot to check my obs recording settings and recorded it in 1.5 downscale resolution. ugh) and made a Dumb little video for a few laughs.

AhrimanPK
Oct 9, 2012

'Ello 'Ello 'Ello

My name's Clive Owen!

GunnerJ posted:

Oh man that would have been great.

If you want to hear it in it's full glory then check out the Jade's stream when we recorded it. We start at 7hr34mins.

https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/104482682

Stay tuned afterwards for us watching cute baby bunny videos.

Edit: Yes he did stream for eight and a half hours, this is not unusual.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Your WADS issues can be laid directly at the feet of the console versions, Jade. It's part of the update they pushed in for (non-Steam) controller support. I agree, that part sucks. But you can tour the avenger now.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Jade Star posted:

What, seriously? Beagle took Guava and my 'Fix your game, Jake' meme(catchphrase?repeated semi-funny line?) and claimed credit for it to jakes face? Wow, what the gently caress. So I have a valid reason I can legitimately hate beagle for being a lovely person, and not just an over popular mediocre youtuber.

Er right yeah okay, I think we've exhausted the beagle discussion for the thread. Let's kill it here. No more beagle talk.

Er, actually, I'm pretty sure that's not what happend. If I recall correctly, Jake asked Beagle if he was the source of the meme, and I think Beagle replied that he wasn't, it was just a phrase he had seen used and he thought it was often appropriate, so he used it himself sometimes. Something like that anyway.

I know you said no more beagle talk, but I have a burning need to correct misinformation when I see it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Cythereal posted:

It's not just that they are hard to kill - they are hard to kill in a really annoying way.

At least explosives can't be dodged.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

AhrimanPK posted:

If you want to hear it in it's full glory then check out the Jade's stream when we recorded it. We start at 7hr34mins.

https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/v/104482682

Stay tuned afterwards for us watching cute baby bunny videos.

Edit: Yes he did stream for eight and a half hours, this is not unusual.
When I saw the video had an "Audio portions have been muted" notice, I was worried for a moment since I've seen that particular Kanye song get flagged in the past. But nope, it's perfectly fine and not muted. For now, at least.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Um Jade somewhat surprised no one else has mentioned yet but both your audios are a bit ahead of the video.

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

cokerpilot posted:

Um Jade somewhat surprised no one else has mentioned yet but both your audios are a bit ahead of the video.

Jade fix your LP.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

cokerpilot posted:

I noticed this; this only seems to be the case when there's a hiccup in the video around 22:50, going to black and audio cutting out for a few seconds. Before that blip, the video's fine. After that blip is where the commentary audio is ahead, because it happens to start up during that black screen.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Really the only way to beat the progress bar back is by actually advancing the plot. it's the only way to remove pips from the ocean base. :(

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Thefluffy posted:

Really the only way to beat the progress bar back is by actually advancing the plot. it's the only way to remove pips from the ocean base. :(

Or just wrecking ADVENT compounds. I think that story missions remove more, but it is entirely possible to keep the progress bar back without progressing the plot; however, at this point in Jade's playthrough, a plot mission probably wouldn't hurt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zyxophoj posted:

It's not just that they are hard to kill - they are hard to kill in a really annoying way.

At least explosives can't be dodged.

I don't get the point of graze. If the shot's going to miss, have it miss. Don't have it hit but actually no miss.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

GVOLTT posted:

I noticed this; this only seems to be the case when there's a hiccup in the video around 22:50, going to black and audio cutting out for a few seconds. Before that blip, the video's fine. After that blip is where the commentary audio is ahead, because it happens to start up during that black screen.

That is really strange. This glitch occurs on my saved hard copy too. Unfortunately in the interest of saving hard drive space I've cleaned up all the unused files so I can't go back and fix it now. I do think I know what the problem was. I think I didn't check my vegas timeline thoroughly after loving with the removal of the Power song and cutting some extra footage that was left as something for Power to play over. I probably had a split during the return trip to cut load times and didn't readjust the timeline leaving blank black video for a while while the audio kept on as 1 uninterrupted track.

Emissary666 posted:

Or just wrecking ADVENT compounds. I think that story missions remove more, but it is entirely possible to keep the progress bar back without progressing the plot; however, at this point in Jade's playthrough, a plot mission probably wouldn't hurt.

Also not quite. You can't take progress away from Ocean base with out doing plot. Even if you wreck facilities nonstop the tracker will still very slowly gain progress.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I don't get the point of graze. If the shot's going to miss, have it miss. Don't have it hit but actually no miss.

Defense lowers aim and determines to hit. Dodge just give you a chance to take half damage. (I'm sure you already know this). Maybe it's a case of good intentions that don't turn into good gameplay.

And speaking of gameplay, I hope Long War Studios gets off their rear end and makes a LW mod some time soon.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

At least you can't dodge 100% shots anymore, but with archons having inherent defense and flying cover you won't see 100% shots against them very often. Status effects are really handy against them though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rick_Hunter posted:

And speaking of gameplay, I hope Long War Studios gets off their rear end and makes a LW mod some time soon.

They made a whole series of mods.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/longwarstudios/myworkshopfiles/?appid=268500

Edit: I assume they're a bit busy working on their own X-Com-alike, though.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I was trying to get through my own Vahlen mission before watching jade's, but things got so busy in my xcom2 run that I eventually went 'gently caress it' and watched it anyway (especially since I'm already to plasma... oops)

Uh. Probably a good thing I did, because what the gently caress ruler reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation Bad Wrong 'ard

I finally make it to east Africa after several delays. This allows us to hit the first ADVENT facility and start working against the Avatar Project tracker that has been getting dangerously full. Facility missions are a little unique, but not very special. You can typically plan to find 3 pods of aliens and maybe some turrets on the roof, and a good chance to reinforcements coming in via dropship if you take too long once you're inside the facility. For the most part facility missions are unusually kind for an important mission type. There is not turn limit to rush you and you start concealed. Those two things can make a mission significantly easier. Players can afford to be slow and methodical on facilities, and shouldn't have a lot of trouble dealing with enemy resistance on the mission.

As Guava made mention of during the video, it is possible to complete these missions in a purely stealthy way. Combat is not required to win the mission. All that needs to be done is to plant the explosive charge and get out. It is possible to do that while never breaking concealment. It's very hard to do, but it is possible, and it is aided by the production of a Wraith Suit. Wraith Suits are kind of like Ghost Armor from the first game, but they work a little differently. We'll cover them more when one gets built.

And lastly, let it be shown and proven that Killzone is the correct and best choice for marksmen.

• Locked thread