Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

IMO, I feel like what makes the Souls franchise unique (Bloodborne included) can be distilled down into four core components:
  • Methodical, equipment-dependent combat
  • Storytelling through inference
  • Loss of progression as a penalty for failure, typically forfeiting important resources, with conditional avenues to recover your progress
  • Community assistance and interference
There's more to any given Souls game than just this, of course, but these are the things that set the series apart for me; the things that, when I see them in another game, I think to myself, "Ah, they're doing the Souls thing." While it's true the Souls games tend to boast some strong level design and the promise of an interconnected world, that's nothing other games haven't already done. Back when Dark Souls first came out, I remember reading a review that likened it to a 3D Metroidvania.

All this to say, if we're to create a new category to encompass "Souls and Souls-like games," these are the four things I think we should focus on.

I agree with most of these points, but I want to bicker about terminology: "Loss of progression" is ambiguous and I don't feel it really communicates what makes it different from other methods of penalizing character death. Unlike games that use checkpoints or savegames, soulslikes continuously save and have a "respawn" system. Like Diablo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

The most key component of "souls" is that it feels like playing a 90's PC game without the manual.

pouring one out for good game manuals

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bad Seafood posted:

Back when Dark Souls first came out, I remember reading a review that likened it to a 3D Metroidvania.

I think this is the best fit. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 really reminded me of a 3D version of Symphony of the Night when I first played them. It's all a refinement of stuff that From has been doing for a very long time (as far back as King's Field on PS1 or Evergrace on PS2) but in a much more polished package.

Evergrace was janky as gently caress but you could wear so much dumb poo poo on your head, which was unbelievable at the time it came out. Runnin' around with a saucepan or a pumpkin for a helmet was great. Shame about most of the rest of the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Looper posted:

pouring one out for good game manuals

Gaming in the 90's: "What is this 'THAC0' the game speaks of? Such a strange term!"

*consults manual, finds detailed information on description of THAC0 and it's calculation*

Gaming in the 2010's: "How this whole 'poise' thing work? I'm really not getting it!"

*consults youtube, finds eight minute FROM SOFTWARE LIED video in which narrator's voice never drops below 100 decibels*

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So what ended up being the deal with Poise in DS3 anyway?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snak posted:

So what ended up being the deal with Poise in DS3 anyway?

Poise basically makes you able to tank damage while swinging heavier weapons without getting the attack interrupted.

Some people call this hyper armor, because I guess every video game thing needs a special name, but that's all it really does.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Poise basically makes you able to tank damage while swinging heavier weapons without getting the attack interrupted.

Some people call this hyper armor, because I guess every video game thing needs a special name, but that's all it really does.

i know what poise is, but for awhile people were saying it straight-up wasn't in DS3, but then later I heard that people just misunderstood it because it worked differently than in previous games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chomp8645 posted:

Gaming in the 90's: "What is this 'THAC0' the game speaks of? Such a strange term!"

*consults manual, finds detailed information on description of THAC0 and it's calculation*

Gaming in the 2010's: "How this whole 'poise' thing work? I'm really not getting it!"

*consults youtube, finds eight minute FROM SOFTWARE LIED video in which narrator's voice never drops below 100 decibels*

If you're using YouTube instead of any of the countless detailed and lovingly-curated wikis that exist for any major game then you're not really in a position to be looking down on other people.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snak posted:

i know what poise is, but for awhile people were saying it straight-up wasn't in DS3, but then later I heard that people just misunderstood it because it worked differently than in previous games.

Yeah, in DS1 I think it stopped you from getting staggered at all even if you weren't swinging though, and the major change is in DS2 and DS3 it only affects heavier/bigger weapons and only while you're attacking instead of at all times.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dewgy posted:

I think this is the best fit. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 really reminded me of a 3D version of Symphony of the Night when I first played them. It's all a refinement of stuff that From has been doing for a very long time (as far back as King's Field on PS1 or Evergrace on PS2) but in a much more polished package.

Evergrace was janky as gently caress but you could wear so much dumb poo poo on your head, which was unbelievable at the time it came out. Runnin' around with a saucepan or a pumpkin for a helmet was great. Shame about most of the rest of the game.

When I first played dark souls I was so frustrated that konami wasn't making castlevania games like it

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Goons, it's time for Jackbox Party Pack 3. Come and play various party games for free!

http://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Out tonight but tomorrow I can finally set up the new PS4 and Bear some Blood

Interested to see how the more aggressive combat changes the feel of the game- always went sword/board in the other games for a lot of stuff until I was forced to start rolling through boss attacks

I like never did parries and it seems like Bloodborne is based around parrying considering the guns basically exist to do that and nothing else

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

If you're using YouTube instead of any of the countless detailed and lovingly-curated wikis that exist for any major game then you're not really in a position to be looking down on other people.
Lovingly Curated

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Out tonight but tomorrow I can finally set up the new PS4 and Bear some Blood

Interested to see how the more aggressive combat changes the feel of the game- always went sword/board in the other games for a lot of stuff until I was forced to start rolling through boss attacks

I like never did parries and it seems like Bloodborne is based around parrying considering the guns basically exist to do that and nothing else

Not everyone agrees, but I think parrying is super easy in bloodborne compared to Dark Souls. Attempting it doesn't feel terrible and clumsy, and you don't have to worry about being right up against the enemy.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Harrow posted:

It's the only Mega Man game I can think of where there really is a "do this stage first, no, seriously" stage. Unfortunately that also tends to mean you're probably going to do the stages in the same order every time unless you intentionally don't go to the boss who's very obviously weak to Chill Penguin's weapon.

A couple pages back because I was catching up with this thread, but I don't think it's all that obvious from the boss select screen which one is weak to Shotgun Ice. It's not the one I would have immediately expected.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Lovingly Curated

Wikipedia is an inexhaustible source of knowledge on anything in the world that might have ever appeared in Japanese animation, or possibly played a role in the collapse of the World Trade Center

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lovingly Curated

Hey not everyone gets a lovingly curated wiki dedicated to their work.

Fake Edit: I wanted to know if there was indeed a Knack wiki made and of-loving-course there was one.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Snak posted:

Not everyone agrees, but I think parrying is super easy in bloodborne compared to Dark Souls. Attempting it doesn't feel terrible and clumsy, and you don't have to worry about being right up against the enemy.

It's not really required either. There's a few bosses that are easier with parrying, but clean play can get you through everything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lovingly Curated

I'm the wiki notation that begins with the word "actually..." in reference to the notation above it from a different contributor.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Goons, it's time for Jackbox Party Pack 3. Come and play various party games for free!

http://www.hitbox.tv/tastylemondrops

Space for 4. Still going on!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Snak posted:

I agree with most of these points, but I want to bicker about terminology: "Loss of progression" is ambiguous and I don't feel it really communicates what makes it different from other methods of penalizing character death. Unlike games that use checkpoints or savegames, soulslikes continuously save and have a "respawn" system. Like Diablo.
Yeah, I had the most difficulty codifying that one, though I think you know what I'm grasping at. Death is penalized by the loss of hard-won resources (experience and currency), but with the lingering opportunity to recover those resources by progressing to (and presumably past) where you died.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The souls wikis are pretty ok if you want to learn the tragic lore behind ceaseless discharge or w/e because it's kind of a pain to piece that stuff together

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i was having fun with hyrule warriors but its kind of repetitive

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To those that didn't Kickstart it, Shantae is getting its digital release on the 20th.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

i was having fun with hyrule warriors but its kind of repetitive

Well yeah. It's a Musou game. They're all like that. You gotta love the grind to really get into any of those.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Space for 4. Still going on!

I'm here but I don't have a chat account and don't want to sign up right now hope that's ok

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Box Boy getting a third game and a special edition trilogy with Box Boy amiibo.

Like most third/fourth entries in gaming the title literally equates to something like "Goodbye Box Boy!" for the third outing. So yes, this may indeed be Box Boy's final mission.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Box Boy getting a third game and a special edition trilogy with Box Boy amiibo.

Like most third/fourth entries in gaming the title literally equates to something like "Goodbye Box Boy!" for the third outing. So yes, this may indeed be Box Boy's final mission.

Awesome, I loved the first two.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well yeah. It's a Musou game. They're all like that. You gotta love the grind to really get into any of those.

And why does link now have a weird Korean mmo anime character as a fairy

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I enjoyed Bulletstorm for what it was and am disappointed that it's getting Gearbox stink all over it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm playing Metal Gear Ground Zeroes and here's my review so far:

Hideo Kojima is a stupid idiot for replacing David Hayter with Kiefer Sutherland.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I thought he asked Hayter and got turned down

The new guy grew on me but yeah I missed Hayter a lot

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ciaphas posted:

The story goes that he wasn't even asked to return for the part in MGS5. He also claimed that he wasn't even told they were getting a new VA until he asked, but I dunno if that part is actually true.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Hayter was practically begging for his job back online, but it didn't matter because Kojima was already locked in a closet

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I can't imagine Hayter doing the speech at the end of Mission 43 and it being anything but laughable.He was great back in the day but MGSV was so different from the rest of the series I don't think he would have been a good fit. Christopher Randolph only worked because he was acting completely against type so even his terrible fake crying worked in context.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ciaphas posted:

Hayter's been very, very explicit about how it was Kojima specifically who had him fired from a role he loved. Some people tried to rationalize that it was because it's Big Boss instead of Solid Snake, but Kojima didn't replace the Japanese VA. Others want to blame Konami higher-ups, but they immediately re-hired him for a stupid commercial once Kojima was gone. Apparently the reason Kojima gave was that he thought Hayter did a bad job on MGS4.

It's widely speculated that the reason both MGS5s have so little Snake dialogue (something everyone complained about) is because Sutherland's rates were much higher than the other VAs. Hayter being fired is also why Metal Gear Rising's US release didn't have the special wooden sword haunted by the spirit of Solid Snake, which would randomly comment on the gameplay in Snake's voice.

So yeah. Stupid idiot.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:vince:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lurdiak posted:

Hayter's been very, very explicit about how it was Kojima specifically who had him fired from a role he loved. Some people tried to rationalize that it was because it's Big Boss instead of Solid Snake, but Kojima didn't replace the Japanese VA. Others want to blame Konami higher-ups, but they immediately re-hired him for a stupid commercial once Kojima was gone. Apparently the reason Kojima gave was that he thought Hayter did a bad job on MGS4.

It's widely speculated that the reason both MGS5s have so little Snake dialogue (something everyone complained about) is because Sutherland's rates were much higher than the other VAs. Hayter being fired is also why Metal Gear Rising's US release didn't have the special wooden sword haunted by the spirit of Solid Snake, which would randomly comment on the gameplay in Snake's voice.

So yeah. Stupid idiot.

Didn't Hayter also say that Kojima become upset that he basically became the face of Metal Gear Solid up until V started serious production? Like when there were award shows and the sort back in 2005 you'd have the Voice of Solid Snake David Hayter presenting something usually. It was like how Nolan North basically became the face of the entire Uncharted series and for some reason Kojima really wasn't comfortable with it happening with his own series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

It's widely speculated that the reason both MGS5s have so little Snake dialogue (something everyone complained about) is because Sutherland's rates were much higher than the other VAs.

I have a hard time buying this considering that a chatty Venom Snake goes completely against the story, direction, and tone of MGSV as a whole.

• Locked thread