Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm curious to how weird my Android delayed multiplayer actions are to everyone else. On the other hand, I've had fun watching SBs play at double speed and characters dying at near full HP and coming back to life when it's their turn to act.

Leila was completely self-sufficient between Steal Power and her ATK/RES mug SSB, which helps debuff the U+ and let's her support anyone bringing a mage. Fang did her ATK/MAG breakdown SSB to add on to that for debuffs, and Tempo Flurry for slow.

I also had Eiko set up for when our team was missing either a Medica or a Hastega, since I didn't want to spend forever stripping stuff of of my team if I needed to change people out, which would have to do to switch Fang and Ramza.

Nihilarian posted:

Steiner is fine, Knight and Spellblade are great skillsets to work with. There are better characters with that loadout, but Steiner's by no means bad. Also, I believe he eventually gets buffed to natural Spellblade 5?

Yeah, it was the next FF9 event in Japan, so it could come as early as OSB fest since they tend to roll out the buffs in big groups.

I'm sort of happy Steiner didn't get Spellblade via Record Dive because now he can get 6* Spellblade. I think the only other notable buffs are various mages getting Light Armor access and Cloud getting Samurai 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Inge posted:

Which staff?

She's a pretty versatile sage

The one from the lucky banner. The super soul break one. Slight holy boost?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

That's the best pull I've ever had in terms of number of 5* relics. And Beatrix was already on my A-team with her having Seiken Shock, but getting her BSB pushed her over the top. Y'shtola is on my rotating position of A-team Healer (I have way too many good healers) with Stoneskin II and Medica II, so adding Aetherial Pulse is nice. I'm surprised there were no VI relics, but not disappointed as I have way too many VI relics as it is.

Gonna go ahead and get Beatrix's MC3 while I'm thinking about it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

1/11 for my 3rd copy of Vanille's Physician's Staff.

Well, I have a god-tier white mage staff and later on when I'm not broke on gil I'll make it an 8*.

I'm a little disappointed at nothing new but I can't complain about having a super stat stick. :toot:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

beatrix and agrias are both cool characters and i hope i pull things for both of them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
drat, Noel doesn't have a MC3 in global yet. He breaks my ability to have an all lvl 99 party. :saddowns:

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Zurai posted:

I managed to beat her before she got an attack off. Her first actual turn was casting Ultimate Double because she was at 10% HP. Then she died.

I brought my mage team (Yuffie with Clear Tranquil and ninja spells, Ramza with Tailwind and breaks, Selphie with BSB and healy stuff, Hope with BSB and summons including Shiva for the medals, and Onion with BSB and filler abilities. Onion and Selphie had the initial SB charges, Hope and Yuffie cleared the multi-target waves, and by the time the Sorceress Elite spawned I had Selphie, Hope, and Onion all in BSB mode raining Hell down on her.

Of course, my 8 synergy is actually pretty good at this point, and having two stacking 30% MAG buffs is huge for mage team DPS. It's definitely not something which everyone can pull off.

Yeah, it's probably worth mentioning that my 8 Synergy is, er, Blitz Sword.

No, really, that's all of it.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Cyan's Murakamo... x2. Promptly combined given my overflow of FFVI weapons. I suppose he can replace Celes on my CM team when the boss doesn't spam single target black magic.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SageAcrin posted:

Yeah, it's probably worth mentioning that my 8 Synergy is, er, Blitz Sword.

No, really, that's all of it.

Yeah, gonna be rough in that case. Pretty much any U++ is gonna be rough with low-to-no synergy.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

1/11 - Omnirod. Not sure how useful that is. Y'shtola's in my party 100% of the time, but for casting wall. I guess at least she's now going to be +10 mind better?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Huh, only one rainbow orb, that's disapp-

...oh. Well, if I'm gonna go 1/11 that's a pretty good one to get. I've got a healer BSB taken care of now! :v:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

drat, Noel doesn't have a MC3 in global yet. He breaks my ability to have an all lvl 99 party. :saddowns:
Long way out, too, it was just in the latest batch of MC3s from the last event in JP.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Hooooooooly poo poo having a native Faithga+Shout is so loving sweet. Celes is a beast

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Dupe Peacemaker, Lamia's Flute, and The Ogre :getin:

In the past week I've gone from absolutely no IX synergy to two physical BSBs on my two favorite characters from the game. Praise RNGesus.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Zurai posted:

Yeah, gonna be rough in that case. Pretty much any U++ is gonna be rough with low-to-no synergy.

Interestingly, I haven't failed one yet.

Mastery on all of 'em too, though Atlas(who I had, er, Winged Saint and... I think that was all at the time? for) was serious misery. Interestingly I think I liked Daedalus less though, and my 13 synergy is better(Murakumo or whatever Vaan's Pyroclasm sword is and two Plat Shields). Though I suppose that's not so much better...

I may or may not bother on this one, though-I'm aware my situation isn't exactly optimal for knocking out every U++ perfectly. Got the complete really easily(hahaha, Ultimate Ultima did one 500 damage hit, the rest was MBlinked off), that's what really matters. Delicious crystals.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Does Shout and Maria's Song stack?

I'll definitely be using Celes whenever I run a hybrid team, but right now Ramza is miles ahead of my other support options since the only other support character SB I have is Faris' SSB. The haste from Shout is still a reason to bring it though- I could bring Zack with Apocalypse for it, but then I'd still need a support character anyway so I might as well just use Ramza even if it doesn't stack.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does Shout and Maria's Song stack?
They do; +ATK and +ATK/MAG on different IDs. Same with Sheepsong and Maria's Song.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Pull hoping to build some VI and XIV synergy.

Get 2x Fang BSB from XIII. Ok I guess?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hogama posted:

They do; +ATK and +ATK/MAG on different IDs. Same with Sheepsong and Maria's Song.

Oh nice! This is gonna be fun then. Although I guess I have to be careful about having too many boosts and not enough damage-dealing SBs.

edit: Actually I forgot this thing was a BSB instead of a one-time cast like Shout. drat this thing is cool. Gonna be making GBS threads insane holy damage all day between her and Beatrix.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 6, 2016

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Beatrix's Lightbringer (not Celes', but I'll take it), Sazh's Sirius, Hope's Hawkeye (XIII synergy and a good caster statstick, that's something I needed), and Terra's Stardust Rod (yay! Waifu gear finally)

How does Terra's BSB stack up?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Mithross posted:

Beatrix's Lightbringer (not Celes', but I'll take it), Sazh's Sirius, Hope's Hawkeye (XIII synergy and a good caster statstick, that's something I needed), and Terra's Stardust Rod (yay! Waifu gear finally)

No En-Element, so not as good.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
People are really bad at multiplayer and I'm really glad I have a decked out level 99 Onion Knight, because Ramza and OK are basically dealing out steady DPS, healing, Full Break, AND running Protect since none of the 2 healers brought any mitigation.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Also apparently I've had Freya's SSB for a while :psyduck:

Is there a good tool to track all my poo poo? I kind of don't know what I have

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

People are really bad at multiplayer and I'm really glad I have a decked out level 99 Onion Knight, because Ramza and OK are basically dealing out steady DPS, healing, Full Break, AND running Protect since none of the 2 healers brought any mitigation.

I have no idea how and why this happens but if I don't bring Shellga or Protega nobody else ever does, even if all of them bring a white mage.

Like, I almost never run a white mage with anything BUT Curaja and one of the two. Why the hell wouldn't you? They massively reduce the damage your whole party takes, last longest from someone with high MND, and have the least opportunity cost on your healer because one heal will last through an entire fight and anything else they can do another character is better at.

The only other thing I've ever brought on a healer was Carbuncle, which if you think about it is really just a third different version for very specific encounters.

Baku fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 6, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Another thing I noticed was people getting one-shotted at the 160 difficulty, even in the back row. Like even before I could get Protectga going I could take 3-4 hits. And nobody brought lightning resist.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mithross posted:

It's arguably the worst magical BSB out there along with the Tiny Bee (you can make arguments for both). Unlike Rinoa, the entry doesn't have an element, so it doesn't hit weaknesses. Unlike Hope, it doesn't have an En-element, so its commands are a bit more lackluster.

Its saving grace is that it's one of two magical BSBs to have a Water command (and considering Chain Waterga doesn't exist, it's one of the best sources of magical Water damage).

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Eh, I'll take it. Now I have three caster BSB's, for three different elements. It'll be fun when I actually get to fight a boss weak to one of the three :v:

1st AD posted:

Also apparently I've had Freya's SSB for a while :psyduck:

Is there a good tool to track all my poo poo? I kind of don't know what I have

A lot of people just keep excel sheets.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I went from having 0 damage BSBs to 4 within a week

Physical: Tifa + Zidane
Magical: Quistis and now Terra

I do like that both of my magical options can use Wrath because that's been really useful for getting the BSB up. Terra seems a bit outdated seeing as how every mage BSB now boosts an element

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Vanille's Physician Staff and Gau's Shiny Thing. They're not dupes but... eh...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
A dupe Chocobo Brush and Setzer's awful, awful Fixed Dice. Awful. This thing is a SSB, but does randomly 1 to 6 hits of 3333 damage. That means half the time it's doing 9999 damage or less. He'd do more damage with loving 3* Tempo Flurry under Shout.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's arguably the worst magical BSB out there along with the Tiny Bee (you can make arguments for both). Unlike Rinoa, the entry doesn't have an element, so it doesn't hit weaknesses. Unlike Hope, it doesn't have an En-element, so its commands are a bit more lackluster.

Its saving grace is that it's one of two magical BSBs to have a Water command (and considering Chain Waterga doesn't exist, it's one of the best sources of magical Water damage).

Yeah, and Lulu's BSB (the other magical water source) is a dual-element command, so Terra's is safer for general use. That said, Water/Ice is a pretty rare pair to double resist (it's more common as a double weakness; a lot of fire/sand based enemies are weak to both, while ice and water based monsters tend to only resist the one of their type), so Lulu's is basically equivalent in all but the absolute worst case and has three elements to pick from for weakness hunting instead of two.

EDIT: Oh, right, the real downside to Lulu's BSB is that it is, as best I can tell, literally the only mage BSB in the game with Reflectable commands. Can confirm it now since I 97-gem pulled Lulu Model in the FFX event last week in JP.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 6, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

Yeah, and Lulu's BSB (the other magical water source) is a dual-element command, so Terra's is safer for general use. That said, Water/Ice is a pretty rare pair to double resist (it's more common as a double weakness; a lot of fire/sand based enemies are weak to both, while ice and water based monsters tend to only resist the one of their type), so Lulu's is basically equivalent in all but the absolute worst case and has three elements to pick from for weakness hunting instead of two.

Didn't somebody say her commands can be bounced by reflect, though?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Still grinding the mythril to pull on this, I can't wait! Also I just noticed I have both Balthier and Locke's BSB's. Would those two be a nice combo re: fire damage?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

LornMarkus posted:

Didn't somebody say her commands can be bounced by reflect, though?

Yeah, I actually just remembered that and tested it. Can confirm, commands bounce. Best I can tell, it's literally the only bouncable mage BSB.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Zurai posted:

For CM purposes, if it's literally the only BLM SB that you have for VI (true in my case), then it isn't completely awful. But yeah, Terra ain't going to make my magic A-team. I have Rydia's SSB as well as en-Fire SSB for Vincent and en-Ice for Lulu. Two of those three plus Krile/Tyro/WHM and I can RW whatever useful magic BSB I want. Terra just doesn't have a place. :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

A dupe Chocobo Brush and Setzer's awful, awful Fixed Dice. Awful. This thing is a SSB, but does randomly 1 to 6 hits of 3333 damage. That means half the time it's doing 9999 damage or less. He'd do more damage with loving 3* Tempo Flurry under Shout.

Setzer's is attached to a unique debuff which stacks with pretty much everything else in the game which is the point. The fact that it's fixed damage also means it's ok on a mage team with no shout (Fixed Dice debuffs resist and stacks with other resist debuffs)

Also this is probably an extremely limited use case but there are guys like Mote Ifrit that have insanely high defense and where 20k physical damage is not happening otherwise, but he's a support at the end of the day

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Who's left to do any magical water damage anyways? Strago? Echo? Braska?

I was even considering FFXV but when your name is Ignis you're not getting Water as your element.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Well, at least it let's me put together a mage team should I need one, combined with Dusk's Decree and Vessel of Fate.

This same pull let's me field 4 physical BSB also, actually. Luneth, OK, Beatrix, and Firion (woo, half a holy team even!)

Things are starting to look up for me breaking into actual challenging content. I've really been quite lucky.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

pichupal posted:

I was even considering FFXV but when your name is Ignis you're not getting Water as your element.

Lunafreya, if she's not the 15 healer or maybe even if she is?

15 spoilers: A Leviathan SSB/BSB would kinda make sense for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Setzer's is attached to a unique debuff which stacks with pretty much everything else in the game which is the point. The fact that it's fixed damage also means it's ok on a mage team with no shout (Fixed Dice debuffs resist and stacks with other resist debuffs)

Also this is probably an extremely limited use case but there are guys like Mote Ifrit that have insanely high defense and where 20k physical damage is not happening otherwise, but he's a support at the end of the day

There are plenty of other unique buff/debuff SBs out there that don't completely sacrifice damage in the exchange. And Setzer's not doing 20k to Mote Ifrit either unless you want to S/L a bunch of times, because I expect to roll the 1/6th chance of getting 6 hits approximately never. Even on a mage team without a boostga, I'd be pretty disappointed by a SSB that did sub 10k damage. Also, I don't find Atk debuffs all that great; since the enemy Attack softcap is so very low, you're pretty much never bringing a break-resistant enemy below it, so you get pretty marginal returns. I mean, I'll use Setzer in Cid Missions because I have to, but this SSB is a real stinker.

How about this to fix it: 3 hits, which are always 3333, 6666, or 9999 damage each? There you go, the minimum damage would be 10k instead of the average, and even if you got lucky and rolled high you're still doing a sane 30k, which many many SBs these days can easily exceed.

• Locked thread