Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Mostly because I'm sick of my shaky-rear end garage door opener shaking incandescents to death.
I replaced mine with belt drive Chamberlain opener (with a DC motor but I'm not sure how much that helps) and it's quiet and extremely smooth. I didn't think a garage door opener could be cool/exciting but I really like the thing. It can connect to wifi and out to ~the cloud~ and then to an app on a phone. I have it set to send me an alert whenever it opens and I can check if it's open or closed whenever I want and open/close it remotely. Not life changing or anything but my old one didn't always stay closed and I was always a bit paranoid that it was going to open back up as I drove away and it wouldn't find out until 8 hours later when I got home from work (I think one of the safety systems was loving up and causing it to open back up just after closing).

It also has an automatic close function so I have it set to close itself after it has been open for 10 minutes. There's a button on the indoor control to hold it open if I actually want it open but otherwise it's nice that it will sort itself out if I forget. That indoor panel also has a display and menu for changing settings and shows the temperature turns the light on when it senses movement. The opener has a battery backup which I don't really need (my door is well balanced and easy to open by hand) but could be nice for someone that cannot operate the manual release and push the door up.

I'm sure it is or will be vulnerable as gently caress so I'll be putting it and some other Dumpster fire Internet of Things devices on their own segmented off access point and probably going full infosec nerd with logging and IDS but I haven't gotten there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Darchangel posted:

Really?
I may have to pull the LEDs on my opener. It suddenly quit responding to remotes at all. I just got an external remote control relay, but even that has kind of poo poo range.
No, no I mean it was an LED light, not an incandescent.. When I typed that, I just swapped it.

However, the issue may indeed have been the LED as well. I was able to use the remote just fine the once. If it works again tomorrow morning, I think SSS might have been onto something. Thanks for the heads-up dude.

Powershift posted:

https://www.amazon.ca/Feit-C4000-LED-Replacement-Non-Dimmable/dp/B00RKLXJOQ

I've been doing this for years, everywhere i need light has a big rear end 150w replacement CFL in a 60 watt socket. LEDs are obviously more expensive, but it will work outside in the cold better.
Holy gently caress. :monocle:

I did notice though with another amazon search they did have bigger wattacge CFLs... and I just did a search at lowes and they had some 150W equiv on blow-out for $5 each so I just bought 8.

They are tri-lights, but I think if you just put them in a regular socket they go on the full setting automatically, right?

e: Just read tri-lights in a standard socket are medium setting. Dammit

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 6, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Siochain posted:

I really need to do the light upgrade like you did.

Man, it's a crime that they don't come with 18W led headlamps from factory. The circuit is simple and the effectiveness of the light is hilarious, I lit up half my street with it this morning.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Westworld's season finale was great.

I'm going to have to sit down and rewatch it all again.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, you just have lie to the dispatch, tow truck doest care what they're hauling, they get paid either way.

When I bought my van it had no tsg, so I just gave them the info off my Explorer, tow truck shower up, and towed the van with no issue.

That's where I remember seeing the AAA idea, your truck thread!

A rare glimpse of the endangered Fiat X1/9 in its natural habitat

They live on the backs of trucks, like remora

People make fun of British Leyland for their build quality, but this is the cheapest vehicle I've ever touched. Even though it's mostly steel, the entire thing feels like brittle plastic, the weatherstripping isn't close to sealing the cabin and lets in so much air, none of the electronics work except the exterior lights, and the interior is just shameful.
The aftermarket stuff doesn't work at all, but is at least solidly affixed to something, so that it doesn't smack your head or fly off when you hit a bump like the stock equipment does. And I did find the rust. Still little structural damage, but there's a golfball sized hole in the driver's side floorpan, right next to the clutch pedal.
I'm going to have so much frustrating fun with this thing

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've been at this same loving Dennys for a combined 20 hours almost now. Just trying to unfuck one loving freezer.
We came so close today, all the wiring is done, all the valves open, even the lovely extension cord jumper that runs the other freezer now works. But no, the Denny's Gods had to take one last poo poo on us, and reveal the the loving compressor is trashed too. Godfuckingdammit.

Back at it for round 3 tomorrow morning! :shrek::hf::suicide:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

InitialDave posted:

loving right

they didnt spray nitrous till like halfway down the track and it was a 250 shot

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

Just finished it.

loving speechless.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
There's what appears to be a street parked, daily driven x1/9 in line green around here.
Just California things.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

A rare glimpse of the endangered Fiat X1/9 in its natural habitat

They live on the backs of trucks, like remora

People make fun of British Leyland for their build quality, but this is the cheapest vehicle I've ever touched. Even though it's mostly steel, the entire thing feels like brittle plastic, the weatherstripping isn't close to sealing the cabin and lets in so much air, none of the electronics work except the exterior lights, and the interior is just shameful.
The aftermarket stuff doesn't work at all, but is at least solidly affixed to something, so that it doesn't smack your head or fly off when you hit a bump like the stock equipment does. And I did find the rust. Still little structural damage, but there's a golfball sized hole in the driver's side floorpan, right next to the clutch pedal.
I'm going to have so much frustrating fun with this thing

gently caress I love the X1/9 so much. I hope you plan on dailying it through summers. I was really close to getting one or a Lancia Beta a while back and ended up getting a kart instead and then went down the rotary rabbit hole so getting one now seems unlikely. Please keep posting progress :ohdear:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Picked exactly the right day to get my heated seats (kinda) working. Was 5c on Saturday, -20 now (40f to -5).
Set the temperature controller up in a rush though, so instead of a toasty 30-35c it's about 60c :supaburn:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I forgot how much of a oval office it is to part out a car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

1500quidporsche posted:

gently caress I love the X1/9 so much. I hope you plan on dailying it through summers. I was really close to getting one or a Lancia Beta a while back and ended up getting a kart instead and then went down the rotary rabbit hole so getting one now seems unlikely. Please keep posting progress :ohdear:

A Lancia Beta? You found one that hadnt rusted to bits?????

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CharlesM posted:

Oh wow, that's nice. I wasn't sure how well really high powered LEDs had come in a compact enclosure. Most say not to be used in an enclosure due to heat. Most of my bulbs are in the 10-12 watt range.

LEDs in particular are very sensitive to heat, so yeah, don't use something like that in a fully enclosed fixture if you care about it lasting very long.

It would be perfect in the typical garage porcelain fixture though.

Galler posted:

I replaced mine with belt drive Chamberlain opener (with a DC motor but I'm not sure how much that helps)

They've gone to DC motors more because it's a lot easier to do variable speeds with DC vs AC motors. A lot of the openers out there now open super fast, but close at a normal speed (and slow down a bit more as they finish closing). I believe DC motors are also a bit quieter, definitely smaller and lighter... plus having everything but the lights be DC makes it a hell of a lot easier for them to build a battery backup into the unit itself. No inverter needed (unless they're also powering the lights from the battery), they can power it straight off of the battery, and the battery looks like the same one used in a lot of alarm systems, emergency lighting, etc. Pretty standard 12V SLA battery for most of them. The battery that shipped with my burglar alarm is a similar battery (4 Ah instead of the 5 Ah that Chamberlain seems to like, but the charger built in to the system can handle up to 8 or 10 Ah). They're SLA batteries, so the same type of batteries used in the UPS for your computer (if you have one), just a little smaller.

Gate openers have started doing much of the same thing, but many of the garage door opener companies also make those (Chamberlain definitely does).

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Half of the LED bulbs we've tried putting in my friend's garage door opener don't work in it. The other half buzz loudly. I have no idea why this is, because you think it'd just be a relay to mains power or whatever. Maybe it's wired up backwards, but then you'd think they wouldn't work in a non-polarized lamp plugged in backwards, but they do.

AC devices don't care which wire is hot or neutral. It's just smart to wire the shell (screw) portion of a light socket to neutral so you don't get shocked if you accidentally brush it with your hand while changing a bulb, and it's code to switch the hot part of the circuit now (has been for longer than you or I have been alive).

Sounds like the garage door opener is using PWM for some bizarre reason.

I've never had CFLs last long at all in a door opener - maybe a month or two before they let the smoke out or shatter. LEDs last a bit longer, but oddly enough, incandescents hold up the best. I assume simply because of the vibration. My parents have an old unmaintained screw-drive door opener, which seems to vibrate a hell of a lot more than a chain drive, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Also wakes the dead anytime it's used.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wait, which one is the beta? I thought that the Lancia Zagato Scorpion was the successor to the X1/9

1500quidporsche posted:

I plan on dailying it all year round, and maybe hopefully doing some fun shenanigans with it once I get it roadworthy. But for now, I have to make it so that the wheels turn and that snow can't blow around the cabin before I can think about a Franken-B swap

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

well either that or it was bondo'd extremely well by the looks of the online pictures. It was 3 hours away and according to the ad it needed a wiring harness. I never actually looked at it in person because I know if it looked too good I'd just get suckered in. I still maintain those are one of the best looking cars ever made but it was very hard to justify buying what would've been a lesser, more rust prone scirocco.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

I forgot how much of a oval office it is to part out a car.

It always seems like a good idea till you get balls deep into it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, which one is the beta? I thought that the Lancia Zagato Scorpion was the successor to the X1/9

I plan on dailying it all year round, and maybe hopefully doing some fun shenanigans with it once I get it roadworthy. But for now, I have to make it so that the wheels turn and that snow can't blow around the cabin before I can think about a Franken-B swap

The Beta was FWD, but the coupes were styled extremely well in my opinion. They also had some pretty good equipment for the time but sadly they rust away pretty drat fast. They had rear MacPherson struts which was the main attraction since the stupid twist beam suspension is my Scirocco's Achilles heel.

I can't recall what the hell it was but I think there was a fairly well documented swap for the X1/9. I think there was some hacking away involved though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BraveUlysses posted:

It always seems like a good idea till you get balls deep into it

Yeah, I almost crushed my head earlier pulling a fuel pump housing. Black widow fell on my face and my reaction was less than dignified.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

The Beta was FWD, but the coupes were styled extremely well in my opinion. They also had some pretty good equipment for the time but sadly they rust away pretty drat fast. They had rear MacPherson struts which was the main attraction since the stupid twist beam suspension is my Scirocco's Achilles heel.

I can't recall what the hell it was but I think there was a fairly well documented swap for the X1/9. I think there was some hacking away involved though.

Weren't they using twist beams in Beetles in the 60's, why would those be in a performance car? The Honda K-series is the one, with Midwest Bayless even making kits, and you have to chop the gently caress out of the trunk. Honda B-series are also "popular", but that's mostly flying blind and doing custom fab work

Speaking of MWB, if you are still looking for a Beta...
http://midwest-bayless.com/t-cars-for-sale.aspx

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I gave away a ratty electric converted 1974 X1/9 away to a guy in the Bay Area because he wanted a pre-76 for ~*smog reasons*~

I should have kept it. At least I still have "Andy," the 81 X1/9 that Revelations let me have. Thanks buddy!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought Andy was effectively unregisterable thanks to the specifics of Californistanian emissions laws caring more about parts than sniffer results?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

When my parents married my mom's daily was a Fiat X1/9. Pops had a diesel Audi 5000. He must have kept the Audi for awhile because I have really vague early memories of riding in it and being fascinated by him shifting through the gears.

There was a '73 Super Beetle somewhere in there around this time too (mom's) that I have early memories of as well.

After my younger sister was born the AI stopped pretty quickly though.

Somehow none of my earliest memories include sitting broken down on the side of the road.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 6, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

I gave away a ratty electric converted 1974 X1/9 away to a guy in the Bay Area because he wanted a pre-76 for ~*smog reasons*~

I should have kept it. At least I still have "Andy," the 81 X1/9 that Revelations let me have. Thanks buddy!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought Andy was effectively unregisterable thanks to the specifics of Californistanian emissions laws caring more about parts than sniffer results?

Color me curious. What is this mythical Andy of which you speak?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Imagine a 1980.5 Fiat X1/9 in beautiful Rosso Arancio (Italian for electrical fire) nursed back to life with Megasquirt, driven around the block a few times, and now sits as a stripped shell in the dirt at my house after the oil pump drive gear popped out and roasted the rod bearings. I will give someone $100 to take it, but you have to take it all. Megasquirt is included.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, it probably would have passed sniffer but not visual with Megasquirt. Digital ECU and wideband versus L-Jetronic and narrowband with open loop idle lambda.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody have that quote from the magazine about hating the sound of Subarus? :]

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DJ Commie posted:

Yeah, it probably would have passed sniffer but not visual with Megasquirt. Digital ECU and wideband versus L-Jetronic and narrowband with open loop idle lambda.

CAAI needs an arizona shell corporation to register all the shitboxes with, like all the ultra rich with their panamanian shell corps for tax sheltering

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Just finished it.

loving speechless.

I cannot believe how perfectly they wrapped it up. I thought everything was just going to close out after the big reveals in the previous episodes, and figured they'd end off with a big cliffhanger. Then Ford started saying goodbye to Arnold/Bernard and I'm like "oh poo poo he's killing everyone this is perfect". The music and positioning of Dolores being the same as when she killed Arnold was beautiful, as an homage to an old friend, and succeeding where he failed.

Also jesus loving christ William being the old dude and those storylines actually being decades apart I have to go rewatch everything now. When it was revealed Bernard was a host I knew I'd have to go back but now it's even better...

e: SAMURAI WORLD

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 6, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Adiabatic posted:

I cannot believe how perfectly they wrapped it up. I thought everything was just going to close out after the big reveals in the previous episodes, and figured they'd end off with a big cliffhanger. Then Ford started saying goodbye to Arnold/Bernard and I'm like "oh poo poo he's killing everyone this is perfect". The music and positioning of Dolores being the same as when she killed Arnold was beautiful, as an homage to an old friend, and succeeding where he failed.

Also jesus loving christ William being the old dude and those storylines actually being decades apart I have to go rewatch everything now. When it was revealed Bernard was a host I knew I'd have to go back but now it's even better...

I am jealous that this was revealed to you in the show. I read the TV:IV thread. I will not do that in the future.

I want to know where the lesser Hemsworth and Elsie are.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

I'm just quoting all of this so as to show my complete agreement. When Ed Harris started telling Dolores about William I was all "oh poo poo..." and then when I saw William put his gun away in the same way that Ed Harris does, I was all "OH poo poo." I think that was 10 hours of the best TV I've watched in a long drat time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Fury Road Black & Chrome edition is officially available for streaming now and should be out on Bluray and DVD this week. ( https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Max-Fury...tag=slatmaga-20 )

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kastein posted:

CAAI needs an arizona shell corporation to register all the shitboxes with, like all the ultra rich with their panamanian shell corps for tax sheltering

A Montana LLC is the new deal, I'm planning on it if I can't register a Charade DeTomaso or 323 GTR when I find a good one.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

Imagine a 1980.5 Fiat X1/9 in beautiful Rosso Arancio (Italian for electrical fire) nursed back to life with Megasquirt, driven around the block a few times, and now sits as a stripped shell in the dirt at my house after the oil pump drive gear popped out and roasted the rod bearings. I will give someone $100 to take it, but you have to take it all. Megasquirt is included.

Ahhh, yeah, that sounds like an unbelievably frustrating machine to own

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I figured Arizona because there are no inspection requirements for some areas and no smog, but I suppose Montana's got the awesome permanent-plates-for-shitboxes setup and wikipedia says they don't have any sort of annual inspection, so hell yeah.

I kinda want to buy an acre of nothing out in the middle of Nowhere, MT and do the same.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mechwarrior 5, motherfuckas.

2018 is too damned far away :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdUP4WobSU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Took my wife's Camry in for an alignment, they said they also found the brakes were at 75% and the struts all around could do with replacing (at 70,000 miles the front ones are leaking, rear ones are worn). They want $1500 to do the brakes, struts, and alignment, which is about $1400 more than I was looking to pay them today. I told them to just do the alignment. I'm thinking replace the brake pads myself, but how about struts? Enough of a hassle I should find a shop to do it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Mechwarrior 5, motherfuckas.

2018 is too damned far away :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdUP4WobSU

Looks really good, but if you want your mech fix sated NOW, pick up Titanfall 2. It's great.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Don't know about Camrys specifically, but struts are cake if you have an impact wrench and can rent strut compressors from the parts store and use them. I'd recommend doing them before getting it aligned, though... the parts are a few hundred bucks combined most likely. I got a full set of chinesium ones for my crapcan Forester off ebay for $120 - all 4 corners. Didn't include new strut mounts or spring pads, but at that price, who cares?

75% used or 75% remaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kastein posted:

Don't know about Camrys specifically, but struts are cake if you have an impact wrench and can rent strut compressors from the parts store and use them. I'd recommend doing them before getting it aligned, though... the parts are a few hundred bucks combined most likely. I got a full set of chinesium ones for my crapcan Forester off ebay for $120 - all 4 corners. Didn't include new strut mounts or spring pads, but at that price, who cares?

75% used or 75% remaining?

75% used

Edit: the alignment's already underway, I'm just gonna drive on the loving struts until I figure out what to do about it. Don't have an impact wrench but the O'Reilly 2 blocks away rents tools.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 6, 2016

• Locked thread