Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i agree, calling it "not necessarily aesthetically bad" is beating around the bush.

Actually I was laughing at how horribly pretentious and awful that post was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Elfgames posted:

mild complaint but isn't drax incapable of understanding figurative language? and if so does he want to gently caress a spaceship? :crossarms:

I assumed his culture/language just doesn't include figures of speech, not that he's psychologically incapable of eventually learning and using them.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

They already broke this rule in the first movie when he calls Gamorra a whore.

I'm pretty sure he literally thought she was a prostitute. I mean all those guys at the prison called her one and he just picked up on that. He was misunderstanding their insults as being literal this is consistent. "screw you spaceship" does not seem to be so

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Neo Rasa posted:

This would be relatively in-character for Drax.

The only thing that felt off to me about the movie was Drax actually. It felt weird that he's introduced in this sort of dangerous he's a real deal threat kind of way but he gets clowned on effortlessly by Ronan/etc. even before the bad guys have the gem. I'm not a huge Drax the Destroyer fan but comics Drax can like literally beat Thanos to death by himself if he really wanted to and is mega powerful in general so it seemed weird that they went to sort of an opposite extreme but kept his imposing look. I guess it's a reasonable change in the long run so that the question of "why doesn't Gamora or Drax just murder everyone" doesn't come up every time the guardians run into trouble but was weird given the character's reputation in the movie.
I don't know for comics and what-not, but in terms of the movie, his character is pretty consistent. He's repeatedly shown to be dangerous to everyone other than Ronan, it's not like he never lives up to his reputation. The fight with Ronan doesn't lessen Drax, it just highlights Ronan's strength.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

I assumed his culture/language just doesn't include figures of speech, not that he's psychologically incapable of eventually learning and using them.

the trailer also already establishes him being less literal than the previous film w/him talking about the two types of beings in the universe

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Elfgames posted:

I'm pretty sure he literally thought she was a prostitute. I mean all those guys at the prison called her one and he just picked up on that. He was misunderstanding their insults as being literal this is consistent. "screw you spaceship" does not seem to be so

Maybe it'll be something like that scene out of the animated Transformers movie where there's a spaceship that looks like a giant screw.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Edit: loving mobile, nvm

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Away all Goats posted:

I'm pretty sure there will be a scene where Starlord tries to teach him what it means and this will be the first time he gets it right.

That, or he literally wants to use a screwdriver on the ship because of loose screws.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

Falcon using a drone to kill two anonymous henchman from five yards away is the best metaphor for the war on terror and the militarisation of the country that anyone has come up with.
That's good, but the best is still this:

It's the Tom Clancy fantasy made literal: with our technology and moral greatness, we can go into another country, identify the "bad guys," and kill them with "surgical strikes" leaving innocents unharmed. Tony kills them with the power of his gaze. The Falcon one is good, this one is perfect.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Grendels Dad posted:

That, or he literally wants to use a screwdriver on the ship because of loose screws.

That's what I assumed he meant, or that he was threatening to disassemble it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

That's good, but the best is still this:

It's the Tom Clancy fantasy made literal: with our technology and moral greatness, we can go into another country, identify the "bad guys," and kill them with "surgical strikes" leaving innocents unharmed. Tony kills them with the power of his gaze. The Falcon one is good, this one is perfect.

I bow to your superior horrifyingly sanitised miltech fantasy. Jesus. It's lead us into a situation where people have mistaken 'American Sniper' for a war film. I mean, it is, the exact same way "Jarhead 2, this time there's a lot of shooting" is a war film.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I just don't see how Guardians of the Galaxy is distinct from, like, Thor, or is revered in any way even in the context of MCU. I had the same feeling about Ant-Man. If anything all that's changed is that, cinematographically speaking, they're progressively less interesting. But the vibe of the franchise has always been broad action comedy, and all Ant-Man and Guardians do is stunt-casting to render the comical weightlessness of the films explicit. They could be R.I.P.D. or The Last Witch Hunter, there's no bite behind all the bark.

Now, Lucy -- there's a loving laugh riot superhero movie.

Lucy gets punched in the face, boyfriend's brain matter splatters on it

Fun for the whole family!

*The same drat action scene repeats for the rest of the movie, half-assed spiritual singularity poo poo at the end*

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Snowman_McK posted:

They already broke this rule in the first movie when he calls Gamorra a whore.

Nah, as others have pointed out he literally thought this. It does break it when Peter gives his big impressive speech, though.

Peter: It has given us a chance.
Drax: To do what?
Peter: To give a poo poo.

I mean, it's a big important speech and Drax pointing out that he has not given a poo poo recently would break the mood and all but...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mortanis posted:

Nah, as others have pointed out he literally thought this. It does break it when Peter gives his big impressive speech, though.

Peter: It has given us a chance.
Drax: To do what?
Peter: To give a poo poo.

I mean, it's a big important speech and Drax pointing out that he has not given a poo poo recently would break the mood and all but...

To be fair, Drax doesn't contradict Peter or speak up. He could have not understood that one specific phrase but then understand the rest of the speech before and after and also understood the mood. Not getting idioms doesn't mean he has no emotional intelligence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

I bow to your superior horrifyingly sanitised miltech fantasy. Jesus.
It's not your fault that you forgot. When history did not cooperate, history was changed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slugworth posted:

I don't know for comics and what-not, but in terms of the movie, his character is pretty consistent. He's repeatedly shown to be dangerous to everyone other than Ronan, it's not like he never lives up to his reputation. The fight with Ronan doesn't lessen Drax, it just highlights Ronan's strength.

Also Drax was hammered.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Drifter posted:

What is Gunn-ish stuff did he insert that distances it from a normal Marvel movie? Can you give a few examples, because I don't know poo poo about James Gunn and his established directorial style.

There's a level of griminess and a patchwork quality to the production design the other Marvel movies lack, IMO. Xandarr, the Kiln, and Knowwhere have very distinct personalities. There's well, texture to them (unless blandness is kind of the pooint, as on Xandarr) and the texture is generally kinda viscerally unpleasant (Drax getting dumped in a vat of spinal fluid, for ex.) which is a James Gunn specialty. He can make a pg-13 movie feel more sleezy and violent than it actually is, really.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New trailer for FX's Legion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31I8Y_ET9xI

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 5, 2016

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

There's a level of griminess and a patchwork quality to the production design the other Marvel movies lack, IMO. Xandarr, the Kiln, and Knowwhere have very distinct personalities. There's well, texture to them (unless blandness is kind of the pooint, as on Xandarr) and the texture is generally kinda viscerally unpleasant (Drax getting dumped in a vat of spinal fluid, for ex.) which is a James Gunn specialty. He can make a pg-13 movie feel more sleezy and violent than it actually is, really.

Maximum security space prison:

Club in Knowhere:

The Collector's Museum:

Xandar's holding facility:

Ravagers' mothership 'Eclector' :

Club in Knowhere:

Shooting of a music video in the shopping mall planet's exotic food court:

My bad, it's actually the first non-CG scene showing us the wretched hive of scum and villainy living in the desecrated skull of a dead god.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i dunno if i'd say 'blandness' is the point of xandarr's aesthetic so much as they're the only ones that give a poo poo about looking presentable(in public at least, the kiln is just as grime-y and lovely looking as knowhere), which kinda ties into ronan being pissed that the treaty will just sweep everything under the rug and pretend everything's all clean and friendly and generations of his family totally haven't died at the hands of xandarr, the dude who makes it a point to look like he really needs to wash his face is attacking cleanliness itself

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Brother Entropy posted:

i dunno if i'd say 'blandness' is the point of xandarr's aesthetic so much as they're the only ones that give a poo poo about looking presentable(in public at least, the kiln is just as grime-y and lovely looking as knowhere), which kinda ties into ronan being pissed that the treaty will just sweep everything under the rug and pretend everything's all clean and friendly and generations of his family totally haven't died at the hands of xandarr, the dude who makes it a point to look like he really needs to wash his face is attacking cleanliness itself

I shouldn't have said bland really, it's still got a fairly distinctive poured-concrete 70's architecture kinda vibe going on which makes the main city feel like a big airport practically.

All those screenshots show is that at various points shadow is used for dramatic effect. Actually you can still see that Knowhere has some distinctive green lighting going on even in your examples that allegedly disprove my point so uh....?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

You're either real good at this or real bad at it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Snowman_McK posted:

Falcon using a drone to kill two anonymous henchman from five yards away is the best metaphor for the war on terror and the militarisation of the country that anyone has come up with.

Can we get some sort of SuperMechaGodzilla write-up in depth about this. I feel like it'd be awesome.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You must go to some broke-rear end shopping malls.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

You must go to some broke-rear end shopping malls.

I heard that this is the case with many American malls, though. I live in Asia, we built new ones all the time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the shot you chose for this scene?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I don't know what you guys are complaining about, every floor looks grate!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
^^^^ :hfive: ^^^^

CelticPredator posted:

This is the shot you chose for this scene?

Why not? This is the shot the director chose for this scene.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

All those screenshots show is that at various points shadow is used for dramatic effect. Actually you can still see that Knowhere has some distinctive green lighting going on even in your examples that allegedly disprove my point so uh....?

So the very distinct personality of the dead god's skull setting is a green tint? When it's not CG, it looks like the prison which looks like Quill's ship which looks like Yondu's ship. The shots used are the same and the lighting is the same (colored filters notwithstanding), so what sets it apart?

You're being very generous with the dramatic shadows comment. I see no use of harsh lights or shadows; nothing is white or black. The lighting is heavily diffused, even in the bad guy's ship:

A lovely full moon lights the villain as he stares at a pool of blood (belonging to a man he just murdered).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

seravid posted:

Because you chose a simple cutaway reaction shot to showcase how dull it looks. The purpose of that shot is to show Rocket's anger towards The Collector for being a dick. The camera looks down at Rocket just as the Collector looks down on him. And I believe the reverse is looking up at The Collector, but I'm not sure.

And I take issue because you chose that one shot over, like any of these in the richest looking scene in the film.

Like, whatever if you want to be like "Ugh they all look terrible!" fine. But you're sorta being really disingenuous.

Also by the way, every screen shot you've used looks like it was put through the same poo poo color correction studios as AvP-R. The movie is not that dark.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 6, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

seravid posted:

So the very distinct personality of the dead god's skull setting is a green tint? When it's not CG, it looks like the prison which looks like Quill's ship which looks like Yondu's ship. The shots used are the same and the lighting is the same (colored filters notwithstanding), so what sets it apart?

Hell yes look how lovely this movie looks if you remove distinct colors from each location. :wtc:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sega DC Does What Ninten Marvel Don't like a teenager in the early 90s and poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Hell yes look how lovely this movie looks if you remove distinct colors from each location. :wtc:

Filters are a pretty lazy way of differentiating a series of locations that really should be very distinct from each other. I like GOTG, but 'the places all seem pretty similar' is a fair criticism. I mean, I've seen it two or three times, and I would have struggled to place any of those scenes in the movie based purely on those screenshots.

By contrast, Star Wars' locations are instantly recognisable from even cursory glances.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because they're awful screenshots. Like you use the small hallway scene to showcase the Prison? Weird.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Because they're awful screenshots. Like you use the small hallway scene to showcase the Prison? Weird.

The ones you chose weren't great either. The colours are flat as hell everytime something physical is photgraphed. The CGI colours are fantastic, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah those screenshots are awful. It looks a lot darker on streaming than I remember it in the cinema, but here's some I pulled that show the colours better:

In the cinema it looked vibrant as anything. A lot of the visual appeal was the contrast between the hyper-saturated space stuff, the gritty prison, the 70's spaceship and the brutalist space elf stuff. It doesn't just feel like you're in a greyish city, you visit a handful of really interesting places.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I said it doesn't matter if you like them or not. The point was, each location has a distinct look. And the fact that those earlier screenshots didn't even showcase any of that is just real bad for making an argument.

I'm arguing the argument.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm agreeing with you?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I said it doesn't matter if you like them or not. The point was, each location has a distinct look. And the fact that those earlier screenshots didn't even showcase any of that is just real bad for making an argument.

I'm arguing the argument.

The screenshots you chose were a poor repudiation.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Those settings are all dull-looking, due to set design if anything. Like the Collector's lair is two levels of glass terrarias. All the places have the same metal texture, even Xandar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neo Rasa posted:

What if Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't in color?

• Locked thread