Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Holy moly, these voretooth bristles are a terrible catalyst except, they give you an extra spell for every 3 you put in. And I've been accidentally accumulating them for the last 10 gameplay hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I really hope they add a bunch more summons in the DLC cause I want to see some of the classic ones redone in this style so bad.

edit: At the very least it desperately needs Ifrit and Odin, and might as well toss Bahamut in there too since he's already got an animation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You need some of the lower-end poo poo like the fat chocobo too.

Just a moon-sized bird falling down on the enemies. Call it Boko or Boco or what not if you need a proper noun and "Fat Chocobo" isn't enough.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

You need some of the lower-end poo poo like the fat chocobo too.

Just a moon-sized bird falling down on the enemies. Call it Boko or Boco or what not if you need a proper noun and "Fat Chocobo" isn't enough.

Not gonna lie, I REALLY want to see pretentious ominous chanting music playing over an oversized chicken falling rear end-first on a group of goblins now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I could honestly see them adding Fat Chocobo - this game isn't afraid to kick in some lighthearted stuff like that once in a while. Just imagine Prompto's reaction.

Alexander would be awesome as hell, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I could honestly see them adding Fat Chocobo - this game isn't afraid to kick in some lighthearted stuff like that once in a while. Just imagine Prompto's reaction.

Alexander would be awesome as hell, too.

I am not sure that Prompto's voice actor can maintain the high-pitched nonstop squeal of delight for the length of time it would be necessary to properly convey his response.

Alexander being absent is a little odd now that I think about it considering how frigging popular Alexander is with S-E.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

FAUXTON posted:

Or bringing a gigantic mythical being made partly of skyscraper-sized knives to a knife fight.

Yeah I loving loved Bahamut too. That part was so rad, but I'm slightly miffed that to my knowledge, Knights of the Round is not a Summon. Like, C'MON. They are literally your ancestors, and you have the Ring. There's no reason you can't do something similar to what Nyx did

EDIT: Come to think of it, where do the Lucis line of kings stand in terms of the pantheon of stuff? You have the Six Astral Gods, but then you also have these warrior kings of old who judges the worth of whoever wants to use their power and can manifest temporarily in their giant stone statues and kick rear end. They are explicitly the ones that are called upon when the ring is being used, but they're just dead magic dudes, I don't think they are ever referred to as becoming gods upon death.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 6, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gologle posted:

Yeah I loving loved Bahamut too. That part was so rad, but I'm slightly miffed that to my knowledge, Knights of the Round is not a Summon. Like, C'MON. They are literally your ancestors, and you have the Ring. There's no reason you can't do something similar to what Nyx did

Technically you did though, just not on any enemies.

:v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow Kingsglaive was bad. Looks loving impenetrable for anyone not already invested in FFXV's story. At least most of the action is good, and it's real pretty. Also the Old Wall giants using warp strike is hilarious.

They really should've just made it as an anime instead and save literally tens of millions of dollars.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do I get anything from playing Justice Monsters Five?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I was just off exploring and found a "power shield" that boosted Noct's attack by about 200. I'm in chapter 3 so that feels like a huge find.

I'm glad after the first few story bits the exploration really opens up. Took the time to get chocobos and I can't tell if I'm going faster or slower than the car and if it is slower, I do not care because I just want to ride chocobos.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Question about airslip, the upgrade that lets you dodage attacks midair. I still seem to see the big red no blocking icon whenever I'm in the air. When fighting big crabs at the moment etc. Am I missing something about how the airslip dodge works?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Alexander being absent is a little odd now that I think about it considering how frigging popular Alexander is with S-E.

He's also a pretty regal dude. Usually Alexander or Odin is the summon associated with kings and nobility, and neither of them is in this game where the main character is a king.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I guess Odin would kinda be pointless when all summons instantly kill everything already, but I still want to see him just because he was always my favorite as a kid.

Alexander is like the go-to gigantic awe-inspiring summon so I was really surprised he didn't show up. He'd fit the whole aesthetic pretty well, I think.

Atomos would also be rad as hell, though honestly it would be pretty hard to beat his appearance in IX.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

He's also a pretty regal dude. Usually Alexander or Odin is the summon associated with kings and nobility, and neither of them is in this game where the main character is a king.

Yeah, this is actually the first Final Fantasy since summons were introduced with no Odin, isn't it? Pretty weird.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this is actually the first Final Fantasy since summons were introduced with no Odin, isn't it? Pretty weird.

FFX doesn't have Odin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Andrast posted:

FFX doesn't have Odin.

Oh, you're right. Well, consider me corrected.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
holy poo poo it took me nearly six hours to clear this postgame dungeon

loving jesus

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FFX was also weird because it made water a primary element, revolved around aquatic settings, and didn't include Leviathan

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

FFX was also weird because it made water a primary element, revolved around aquatic settings, and didn't include Leviathan

Tidus is the water summon

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
So how much did Coleman pay for product placement?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Without going too much into it the Pirotiss Ruins started out as my favorite thing ever and by the end I hated them to the point of breaking. The fact that you can't stop mid-dungeon REALLY hurts there. Physically. Emotionally.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dunkey just did a review of the game, spoilers for end game stuff but I feel like it's actually a pretty decent review that fits my experience.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK, I think I'm getting burnt out on these MMO fetch quests. Which are the ones that will actually lead to interesting things like dungeons or story moments?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK, I think I'm getting burnt out on these MMO fetch quests. Which are the ones that will actually lead to interesting things like dungeons or story moments?

Sania's does if you haven't explored the entire map.

Edit: The frog lady if you didn't know or forgot her name.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 6, 2016

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I collected 46000xp, then stayed in the quay for free (end of chapter 1 bonus) for enough xp to level to 32 at the start of chapter 2. About 18 hours in. Do you think I'm overleveled? :v:

Also if I hadn't watched Kingsglaive before playing this game, the cutscenes would not have helped. Who was King Regis? Who were the people in the cutscene? What was going on? Was it a dream? Who knows! But Gladios was able to get in touch with his sister, whoever that is (if you hadn't watched Brotherhood...)

In any case, I'm horribly overleveled now xD

I assumed that Noctis was having a prophetic dream, which is why when he wakes up and sees the newspaper and reacts like "No, this can't be true." which I thought was, 'It's impossible for me to have this power, what's happening to me.' Which I thought was confirmed when I accidentally ended up doing a story mission when I tried to go to bed at a hotel, and after going on a micro date with my best friend's sister. (That's cool right? Presumably I'm no longer betrothed the daughter of the Evil Emperor that killed my dad, right? Right?!) Then Noctis started getting prophetic headaches (That he WILL NOT shut up about.) whenever I bounce around doing quests, most notably every single time I enter or leave Galdin Quay.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

RatHat posted:

Wow Kingsglaive was bad. Looks loving impenetrable for anyone not already invested in FFXV's story. At least most of the action is good, and it's real pretty. Also the Old Wall giants using warp strike is hilarious.

They really should've just made it as an anime instead and save literally tens of millions of dollars.

I liked it. It has weird pacing issues and sure, someone that doesn't like Final Fantasy at all probably won't like it, but it wasn't made for those people. I haven't played FFXV at all yet and it entertained me.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
Haven't caught up with the thread in a while, but quick question: Is level 40 way too high to be for chapter 5?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

giffan posted:

Haven't caught up with the thread in a while, but quick question: Is level 40 way too high to be for chapter 5?

I'm 50 in chapter 3 and still capable of running around finding things to challenge me, so I can't speak to things after that but it seems designed for you to find stuff to challenge you at any level.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levels don't really mean a great deal, often if something one shot you at 30 it's gonna do the same at 50.
I'm glad I was over levelled for a lot of the later story chapters because it seems like a lot of stuff would be even more of a pain if I was around the recommended level.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So stopping at the start of chapter 13 because I assume that'll take a few hours to chew through. Just some thoughts and questions.

So who was the 'Ardyn' that Noct was chasing on the train? I assume that it's Gladio just based off speech patterns and the fact that Ignis can't see, but when Prompto finds Noct he says that Gladio's with Ignis.

Still a bit confused as to Lunafreya's importance in the role. My assumption right now is that she's responsible for awakening the summons so that Noct can receive their power... which is also exactly what the Empire wants so that they can kill them. My memory of it is unfamiliar but I can't remember them killing Ramuh, so I assume they never got to him? And I'm also on the fence why they (or at least Ardyn) killed Lunafreya before Shiva; if she needs to be the one to awaken them, then they can't kill her before she's awakened them all. Of course Shiva was already awake, but nobody else knew that. Shiva was presumably killed in the timeskip after Leviathan then?

Noct's headaches weren't explained and I can't remember when they go away (probably just after Lestallium?), nor their cause.

I mean if this gets explained later on in the plot I'll find out, but if it's just 'the game's not great at explaining things' then yeah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ApplesandOranges posted:

So stopping at the start of chapter 13 because I assume that'll take a few hours to chew through. Just some thoughts and questions.

So who was the 'Ardyn' that Noct was chasing on the train? I assume that it's Gladio just based off speech patterns and the fact that Ignis can't see, but when Prompto finds Noct he says that Gladio's with Ignis.

Still a bit confused as to Lunafreya's importance in the role. My assumption right now is that she's responsible for awakening the summons so that Noct can receive their power... which is also exactly what the Empire wants so that they can kill them. My memory of it is unfamiliar but I can't remember them killing Ramuh, so I assume they never got to him? And I'm also on the fence why they (or at least Ardyn) killed Lunafreya before Shiva; if she needs to be the one to awaken them, then they can't kill her before she's awakened them all. Of course Shiva was already awake, but nobody else knew that. Shiva was presumably killed in the timeskip after Leviathan then?

Noct's headaches weren't explained and I can't remember when they go away (probably just after Lestallium?), nor their cause.

I mean if this gets explained later on in the plot I'll find out, but if it's just 'the game's not great at explaining things' then yeah.

They killed Shiva long ago presumably summoned by another Oracle, you see her 'body' in the icy train chapter, they didn't realise she was a hive mind sort of thing with multiple bodies.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 6, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

They killed Shiva long ago presumably summoned by another Oracle, you see her 'body' in the icy train chapter, they didn't realise she was a hive mind sort of thing with multiple bodies.

But why would an Oracle from long ago even awaken Shiva if the prophesized king (Noct) wasn't even born yet?

And if Shiva really was killed long ago, why would the effects of her death (the desert region turning into random sand showers and freezing over) only happen after much later? Unless killing Leviathan was a tipping point that sent the balance of whatever in the world out of whack, evidenced by the steadily longer nights throughout the game.
:psyduck:

Geez you could fire a dozen arrows through the holes in the game's plot.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 6, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Pretty sure that is actually Ardyn on the train, he's just toying with Noct and acting like a dumbass because he knows he can't die. Honestly his whole "stitch in time" body-swap thing with Prompto feels like something they put in for one scene and then kinda forgot about.

They don't kill Ramuh; as you are leaving the last stone you see one of those imperial flying fortress things and someone comments that they must be on their way to the archean and you just barely beat them to it. Shiva has presumably been "dead" for a while - I believe they mention beforehand that 3 of the archeans are dead, which would be Titan, Leviathan, and Shiva, but they don't realize there are more Shivas. So I think Leviathan was the last one that needed to be awakened, though the game doesn't communicate that very well. It also kinda doesn't make sense with something that happens later but eh.

Noct gets the headaches when Titan (or presumably any other archean) is trying to communicate with him - he starts getting them when you see the short visions of Titan's eyeball and hear his voice. The game doesn't outright say it, but iirc they don't show up again after Titan.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

I'm 50 in chapter 3 and still capable of running around finding things to challenge me, so I can't speak to things after that but it seems designed for you to find stuff to challenge you at any level.

Oh for sure the side quests are still challenging for me, just the story battles are over far too fast in comparison.

My main gripe with the game is that I can't romance Gladiolus.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

But why would an Oracle from long ago even awaken Shiva if the prophesized king (Noct) wasn't even born yet?

And if Shiva really was killed long ago, why would the effects of her death (the desert region turning into random sand showers and freezing over) only happen after much later? Unless killing Leviathan was a tipping point that sent the balance of whatever in the world out of whack, evidenced by the steadily longer nights throughout the game.
:psyduck:

Geez you could fire a dozen arrows through the holes in the game's plot.

She apparently is pretty fond of humans and woke on her own at some point in the past to fight against the Empire, but was killed, and that's the giant body. It turned the desert into a tundra, but that's it, and it's been that way for a while.

The oracle dying is what messes with the balance of things - I think they go into more detail later, but that was the point of her speech in Altissia about holding onto the light and pushing back the darkness - it sounded metaphorical but it was actually very literal.

But yeah there are tons of gaps still.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Rough level you should end the game at if you want to keep parity is 4 6

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Pretty sure that is actually Ardyn on the train, he's just toying with Noct and acting like a dumbass because he knows he can't die. Honestly his whole "stitch in time" body-swap thing with Prompto feels like something they put in for one scene and then kinda forgot about.

I think the Ardyn you see on the train is Prompto, which explains why he's like "dude what are you doing are you really trying to kill me?" when you chase him around, which is Prompto-y. And when you go kill MTs when the train stops, Prompto is WAY too eager to get into battle and kill things than usual. Plus when he's crouching over you, that's an Ardyn pose, not Prompto. He was switched the whole time.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dude what the gently caress is with Chapter 13?

This game is like the opposite of FF13. That one put its worst foot forward and was nothing but corridors and handheld encounters until the final third. This one owns until Leviathan and then goes completely to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The consequences to the ending is a a lot more interesting than the main story itself. With Noct dead who gets to be the King now?

• Locked thread