Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Voters have been primed to dislike Clinton since the 80s or so, and the media (and the Russians and FBI) constantly harping on non-issue stories about her gave those voters just the excuse they wanted to hate her. Clinton, herself, was not equipped to deal with these scandals, because despite thirty years of constant vitriol being hurled at her, she did not have an adequate ability to deal with these "problems" and "scandals". She never seemed honest, either though she was. Perception is everything, and people like Biden and Sanders are better able to shape how people think.

Trump, due to his ridiculous and non-stop bravado, was constantly in people's faces. He reminded me of those military planes that release a ton of flares at once to confuse tracking systems in that he was constantly starting new scandals about himself (such as literally leaking out those audio tapes of him being his aliases, John Barron and John Miller). It was impossible to focus on any one of his horrible deeds, and even if you did confront him, he would dodge with flagrant lies. He wasn't exactly natural at telling lies like some politicians are (namely, Pence), but he did it such a confident way that many of his supporters either believed him, or didn't care. And those who didn't care likely felt that way because they either found him charming or humorous, or agreed with his more bigoted and hateful lies (such as Muslims celebrating on September 11th), and wanted those lies to be true regardless of reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sidney Blumenthal ===== Satan Blame Thrall
they can't release the hillary speech transcripts because she gave them in lizard not english
the clinton foundation is a branch of alqueda (which also means "the foundation" obviously a connection) its pretty much clinton queda; they chop the arms off of children who are given autism vaccines, really bad stuff
Benghazi. Bengazhi.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Last minute deciders broke really hard for Trump. If you think that Comey had nothing to do with that, you are completely insane.

Those things made a difference in a close race that was only close because of how bad the Clinton and the Democrats hosed up

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

AceRimmer posted:

At least you're not calling Hillary a demon, she's clearly Lawful Evil not Chaotic Evil smh people, have you even played DnD?

obviously possessed by the devil tho, she aged 20 years after the devil left her body and looks human again

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Clinton's ideology absolutely had an impact on her ability to present herself as being an honest politician with the best interests of the working public at heart. She had to spend all her time pretending that things were going great for everyone and that her technocratic friends were totally gonna be honest about helping the little guy this time, honest! The only way to sell neoliberalism to the public is to lie about its effects and benefactors.

She was a weak as hell candidate that couldn't get the Obama coalition because not only had Obama himself burned them hard, but he saddled her with the rate hikes of the ACA and TPP. Misinformation contributed, but there are things that we can actually hold the DNC and the party as a whole responsible for, rather than shrugging our shoulders because an international conspiracy is not something the public can act upon or reform.
I guarantee, if she was better able to smile like a "normal" human with crowds, her own ideology wouldn't have been a factor. People on the street don't know what their own political opinions are. They don't know what they believe. A good politician tells them what they believe.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god i hope for his pancreas' sake that wasn't actual syrup and/or they got the footage in one take

lol the bubbles move waaaaay too fast for that to be chugging maple syrup

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol if u dont get ur pizza from satan

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Fulchrum posted:

No but it is something that you can and do need to be fully aware of going forward, not just pretend it had no impact til 2020 only to see it happen again because this election proved that there are no consequences for those illegal tricks.

If you heap everything on Hillary, you ignore every other problem and ensure they will be far far worse in the future.

So the solution to an ever-expanding right wing media bubble and international collusion to screw with our democratic process is what, exactly? The benefactors of this are the GOP, who have no incentive to investigate or stop it. Since they are in power, there will likely be no action on it at all even as evidence piles up. In such a situation, there is not much one can do to combat it.

What I'm saying is that the primary focus should be on learning from the Clinton mistakes and trying to create a back bench of strong leftist candidates who can lead a convincing campaign of reform.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

bump_fn posted:

lol if u dont get ur pizza from satan

https://hellpizza.com/nz

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Nichael posted:

I guarantee, if she was better able to smile like a "normal" human with crowds, her own ideology wouldn't have been a factor. People on the street don't know what their own political opinions are. They don't know what they believe. A good politician tells them what they believe.

yeah, people probably would have given Obama a third term in a landslide because people like him on a personal level regardless if he "burned" them policy-wise

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hillary clinton was attempting to chemically castrate everyone through the water supply; flint was just a test run. thank god trump stopped her

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nichael posted:

Samantha Bee has a lovely opinion about school integration in her area, but there are no perfect people, much less so perfect people involved in politics or the media. She's funny, and she provides a valuable service to her viewers by pointing out how drat awful the right is. I do think she's absolutely wrong on the school issue but it doesn't make me write her off completely.
It seriously should. Not all issues are equal. That single issues shows how much of a huge hypocrite she is.

Fulchrum posted:

Last minute deciders broke really hard for Trump. If you think that Comey had nothing to do with that, you are completely insane.

Source?

Clinton's emails were a thing THE ENTIRE CAMPAIGN. And during that time the polls remained the same. People aren't likely to go "Oh Email stuff for a sixth time? Guess I'll break for Trump.".

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Dec 6, 2016

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

yeah, people probably would have given Obama a third term in a landslide because people like him on a personal level regardless if he "burned" them policy-wise
There's no doubt of this. Obama can campaign. Biden can, Sanders can, and Trump definitely can. Clinton can't. I'm sure she would've been a fine president, but if you can't connect with people (and actually, that's not true since she won the popular vote by quite a bit) you can't be president.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It seriously should. Not all issues are equal. That single issues shows how much of a huge hypocrite she is.
If you dig into people's beliefs or histories, you're bound to find really lovely things. Samantha Bee is 100% wrong on that issue but it doesn't stop me from watching her show. Donald Trump is about to be our president. Nationalism is on the rise globally. The world's a grim and lovely place. Sometimes it's nice to just let people you look up to go on a few things for your own sanity. Or at least it is for me.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Baloogan posted:

lol the bubbles move waaaaay too fast for that to be chugging maple syrup

ah i asked because they had the guy that played damar in deep space 9 drink maple syrup as a prop for kanar

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

AceRimmer posted:

I'm leaving in 2 weeks, wish me luck moving AZ left

:getin:

Do you know which LD you're going to be in?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Nichael posted:

So what you're saying is that the problem really is that Clinton was a bad candidate, then?

Perhaps the trumpet-blaring "it's her turn" and "she's inevitable" rhetoric to clear the primary field from the start, promoting endorsements and superdelegates before any votes happened to make any opposition appear quixotic, and keeping even Joe Biden from running was possibly an indication that the DNC was backing the wrong horse, a candidate unsuited to sell their faux-woke liberalism due to her widely-known public image.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nichael posted:

Samantha Bee has a lovely opinion about school integration in her area, but there are no perfect people, much less so perfect people involved in politics or the media. She's funny, and she provides a valuable service to her viewers by pointing out how drat awful the right is. I do think she's absolutely wrong on the school issue but it doesn't make me write her off completely.

Nah, I think it utterly destroys any credibility she has because it reveals her ideology as completely hollow. Like most affluent dems, she's shown that her progressiveness comes to a screeching loving halt the very loving moment progressive policy inconveniences her.

At minimum she's certainly in no place to ever try to shame anyone ever again.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ah i asked because they had the guy that played damar in deep space 9 drink maple syrup as a prop for kanar

wait seriously?

goddamn dude is hardcore dedicated to his craft

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nichael posted:

If you dig into people's beliefs or histories, you're bound to find really lovely things. Samantha Bee is 100% wrong on that issue but it doesn't stop me from watching her show. Donald Trump is about to be our president. Nationalism is on the rise globally. The world's a grim and lovely place. Sometimes it's nice to just let people you look up to go on a few things for your own sanity. Or at least it is for me.
If Bernie Sanders came on record of complaining about his taxes being raised or Michael Moore complained about blacks moving into his neighborhood, then these things would invalidate them as they go completely against everything they stand for. Samantha Bee claims to stand for "all Americans" but when a large portion of those Americans want to start interacting in her day to day life she flips poo poo.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nah, I think it utterly destroys any credibility she has because it reveals her ideology as completely hollow. Like most affluent dems, she's shown that her progressiveness comes to a screeching loving halt the very loving moment progressive policy inconveniences her.

At minimum she's certainly in no place to ever try to shame anyone ever again.

shes a comedian...

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Fulchrum posted:

At best the straw that broke the camel's back, and the only reason he mattered was how little people trusted her already. She underperformed in states she should have won. She was a poo poo candidate through and through. What's funny is your refusal to admit she had no loving clue what she was doing. Using a computer algorithm, trying to trick Trump into not showing up by doing the same thing, throwing a million bucks into fighting internet trolls while members of your party in swing states are screaming at the top of their lungs that they need money to get out the vote, averaging going to Michigan and Wisconsin .5 times in the general meanwhile kicking back watching Hamilton multiple times.

I get it, the center of the country and rural venues aren't her thing. She likes her home state and California more than VFW halls in Wisconsin or Union halls in Michigan. Cool, find a position raising money for the party and people who actually will go to those places and enjoy what little life you got left left.

But neither of us should have to live with Cheeto Hitler because she decided she hates campaigning AND that it was her turn. The very heart of her failure was the presumption that she'd do as well as Obama did in 2012, which shows straight up hubris because in your heart of hearts, you know as well as I do that Obama is a charismatic fucker who knows how to message and she simply doesn't. This means she was unaware of her own limits (or almost as bad naive enough to think this isn't a high stakes popularity contest), and worse, thought herself to be a leader when by all indication she is not.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

UHD posted:

wait seriously?

goddamn dude is hardcore dedicated to his craft

oh lol they eventually switched to sugar free syrup. he was pounding pure corn syrup before

quote:

Karo syrup was used for brown kanar to create the effect of a dark, thick liquid, which Damar actor Casey Biggs actually drank. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 696) Property Master Joe Longo joked, in an issue of Star Trek: The Magazine (Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 1, Issue 4), that "he was drinking so much he was getting wired, so we started using a thickened sugar-free pancake syrup."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

You're not wrong, but the things she says on her show are still factual, funny, and persuasive. She's a hypocrite, but she's useful overall. I guess what I'm saying is, let people watch her for 22 minutes a week, and come away thinking "gently caress Trump."

Neeksy posted:

So what you're saying is that the problem really is that Clinton was a bad candidate, then?

Perhaps the trumpet-blaring "it's her turn" and "she's inevitable" rhetoric to clear the primary field from the start, promoting endorsements and superdelegates before any votes happened to make any opposition appear quixotic, and keeping even Joe Biden from running was possibly an indication that the DNC was backing the wrong horse, a candidate unsuited to sell their faux-woke liberalism due to her widely-known public image.
She was bad in the sense that she didn't have the charismatic, manic energy that is required of a campaign in this nation. Her own beliefs, history, "scandals", and ideology would've been largely irrelevant if she had been able to lie better. Even with her bad campaigning, she did drat good considering her emails were put on the same level of outrage as Trump literally raping a thirteen year old.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 07:24 on Dec 6, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nichael posted:

You're not wrong, but the things she says on her show are still factual, funny, and pervasive. She's a hypocrite, but she's useful overall. I guess what I'm saying is, let people watch her for 22 minutes a week, and come away thinking "gently caress Trump."

I'll say that's fair enough - if someone wants to watch her to get angry at Trump, fine.

I don't ever loving want to see her taking a swipe at the left again, though, because she doesn't have a leg to loving stand on in that area.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The people who would watch Samantha Bee's show already think "gently caress Trump" in the first place. It's fine as entertainment, but a useful tool for activism and persuasion it isn't.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh lol they eventually switched to sugar free syrup. he was pounding pure corn syrup before

that's less hardcore but i'll give the guy props anyway

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Neeksy posted:

The people who would watch Samantha Bee's show already think "gently caress Trump" in the first place. It's fine as entertainment, but a useful tool for activism and persuasion it isn't.

I guarantee that if people are not constantly reminded of poo poo, the anger and energy wears off. Echo chambers work and can be harnessed for good. Don't disparage them thinking people on the left are too good for them, we're not.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do you know which LD you're going to be in?
LD-15 :whatup:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Sam bee and Jason jones coming out as hardcore racists was definitely one of the most hilarious side stories of this election season.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Zo posted:

Sam bee and Jason jones coming out as hardcore racists was definitely one of the most hilarious side stories of this election season.
It was pretty funny (and sad) but I don't know if it was one of the most hilarious when it was a two year campaign season of non-stop insanity. I seriously wonder how people will record everything that happened this election because it seems nearly impossible even with the internet.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
~canadians~

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zo posted:

when did this happen specifically, anyway, i see it floated around a lot

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
~commute anxiety~

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

AceRimmer posted:

~commute anxiety~

stil dyin' @ this

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

stil dyin' @ this
I didn't realize how hilarious this was until I saw comments from New Yorkers laughing at their "punishing" 16 block commute

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

The best part was him telling people not to talk to the press, when both of their careers were made from people saying racist poo poo to them on camera.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

Clinton's emails were a thing THE ENTIRE CAMPAIGN. And during that time the polls remained the same. People aren't likely to go "Oh Email stuff for a sixth time? Guess I'll break for Trump.".
No, they were the only thing that people said about Hillary the entire election. But they were the only thing anyone was talking about, period, at only two points in the election. The first half of July, and the fortnight before the election. During both of these periods, Trump pulled even in polling.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone explain why America needed a 70 year old woman running for President rather than someone from a younger generation?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hey guys, remember how Wyatt Cenic and Jason Jones displayed serious bad blood during Jason's interview with him? I think I'm putting the pieces together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can someone explain why America needed a 70 year old woman running for President rather than someone from a younger generation?
Ask the DNC why it's so hard for people new to politics to actually run for office as a Democrat

(the reason is money)

• Locked thread