Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can someone explain why America needed a 70 year old woman running for President rather than someone from a younger generation?

like who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can someone explain why America needed a 70 year old woman running for President rather than someone from a younger generation?
It's good to have young people involved but I really hate the casual ageism people seem to have. 70 is not that old in 2016.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hey guys, remember how Wyatt Cenic and Jason Jones displayed serious bad blood during Jason's interview with him? I think I'm putting the pieces together.
I think it had to do with how Cenac was in a feud of sorts with Jon Stewart before Cenac left.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nichael posted:

If you dig into people's beliefs or histories, you're bound to find really lovely things. Samantha Bee is 100% wrong on that issue but it doesn't stop me from watching her show. Donald Trump is about to be our president. Nationalism is on the rise globally. The world's a grim and lovely place. Sometimes it's nice to just let people you look up to go on a few things for your own sanity. Or at least it is for me.

What aspects of Samantha Bee's life do you look up to?

Nichael posted:

It's good to have young people involved but I really hate the casual ageism people seem to have. 70 is not that old in 2016.

"ageism" :lol:

Jesus H. Christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

ah i asked because they had the guy that played damar in deep space 9 drink maple syrup as a prop for kanar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZAzq1P27E

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

here's all i could find on it

quote:

Jones has three children with former "Daily Show" correspondent Samantha Bee. He went on to complain about what he called "rhetoric" from some parents that, he thought, suggested those opposing the move are "terrified" of having their school relocate to a building near a housing project. He called that characterization, "dishonest at best and slanderous at worst."

"So I urge you A, to stop talking to the press," he continued. "This is a private matter, I think, from our community. This story doesn't exist without your quotes."

Jones would know a thing or two about using quotes. His segments on "The Daily Show" often skewered regular folks and politicians by catching them making hypocritical statements, especially when the subject was gay marriage or defenders of the Washington Redskins' team name.

Jones complained about another quote by a parent who suggested their high-performing school would change if it moved near the housing project. He said that showed little respect for the teachers.

"So just be mindful of when you speak, if you're going to speak to the press, because slandering or saying anything negative about this teaching staff is wrong," he added. "Conversely, painting any opposition as classist or racist is about as bad as it can get."

seems to be more lol gently caress the poors than racism, but still not great

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

You're not wrong, but the things she says on her show are still factual, funny, and persuasive. She's a hypocrite, but she's useful overall. I guess what I'm saying is, let people watch her for 22 minutes a week, and come away thinking "gently caress Trump."

She was bad in the sense that she didn't have the charismatic, manic energy that is required of a campaign in this nation. Her own beliefs, history, "scandals", and ideology would've been largely irrelevant if she had been able to lie better. Even with her bad campaigning, she did drat good considering her emails were put on the same level of outrage as Trump literally raping a thirteen year old.

Is this some new definition of 'drat good'? She lost to Donald Trump. The second most disliked candidate of all time somehow managed to lose to the most disliked candidate of all time, mainly because people unable to comprehend existence outside of their own bubble thought somehow 30 years of baggage and the charisma of a ham sandwich miraculously wouldn't matter.

Seriously, how do you reconcile this:

Nichael posted:

Voters have been primed to dislike Clinton since the 80s or so, and the media (and the Russians and FBI) constantly harping on non-issue stories about her gave those voters just the excuse they wanted to hate her. Clinton, herself, was not equipped to deal with these scandals, because despite thirty years of constant vitriol being hurled at her, she did not have an adequate ability to deal with these "problems" and "scandals". She never seemed honest, either though she was. Perception is everything, and people like Biden and Sanders are better able to shape how people think.

with the claims that Hillary was the most qualified candidate ever?

Nichael posted:

There's no doubt of this. Obama can campaign. Biden can, Sanders can, and Trump definitely can. Clinton can't. I'm sure she would've been a fine president, but if you can't connect with people (and actually, that's not true since she won the popular vote by quite a bit) you can't be president.

You have to drop this talking point. The popular vote does not matter. Running up the score in coastal blue states is not a winning strategy and it doesn't count as 'connecting with people'. Those people would have pulled the lever for an avocado painted blue. If we abandoned a million of them to gain fifty thousand votes in middle America it would be a net gain for the party. We need some state legislatures and some senators back in blue to start making things happen at a national scale. gently caress the coasts.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Fulchrum posted:

No, they were the only thing that people said about Hillary the entire election. But they were the only thing anyone was talking about, period, at only two points in the election. The first half of July, and the fortnight before the election. During both of these periods, Trump pulled even in polling.

Well this is revisionism. Quite literally every single poll but 2 showed Clinton with a strong victory.

On top of that, people were ALWAYS talking about them with her period throughout the entire election. (the closing near the end is only due to those two polls).

Nevermind the fact that if bringing up the emails again were all it took for Clinton to lose to Trump than lol bad candidate.

Nichael posted:

I think it had to do with how Cenac was in a feud of sorts with Jon Stewart before Cenac left.

This was suspected, but didn't turn out to be true. Him and Jon were in good terms.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 07:50 on Dec 6, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Not a Step posted:

Those people would have pulled the lever for an avocado painted blue.

don't disagree with your overall sentiment but i'm pretty sure this type of thought process is what got us into the "ignore the safe states lol" mindset that totally didn't backfire.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rand alPaul posted:

The best part was him telling people not to talk to the press, when both of their careers were made from people saying racist poo poo to them on camera.

Also getting an Iranian journalist arrested.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also getting an Iranian journalist arrested.

I forgot about that. Poor guy :(

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. Rosewater was an alright movie. I can see why it didn't do well in the box office though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because everyone who didn't see it is a literal neo-nazi who hates freedom of press.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Nichael posted:

Samantha Bee has a lovely opinion about school integration in her area, but there are no perfect people, much less so perfect people involved in politics or the media. She's funny, and she provides a valuable service to her viewers by pointing out how drat awful the right is. I do think she's absolutely wrong on the school issue but it doesn't make me write her off completely.

shes in the "the left is racist because they dont understand intersectionality, its not about economics" camp, then immediately turns around and exercises class privilege to oppress minorities

e: nm i was a page behind and see youve responded to this already, namaste

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

UHD posted:

like who

Sandy Berno

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well this is revisionism. Quite literally every single poll but 2 showed Clinton with a strong victory.

On top of that, people were ALWAYS talking about them with her period throughout the entire election. (the closing near the end is only due to those two polls).

Nevermind the fact that if bringing up the emails again were all it took for Clinton to lose to Trump than lol bad candidate.

Oh look, a bunch of polls all showing a massive diminishing in Clintons lead from October. Wonder if something could have affected that. Nah, surely not.

And the difference is that the press went from "it was a nasty email thing" to "Clinton will be indicted literally days after the election."

And yeah, I'm sure anyone else would be able to easily brush off the loving FBI head directly intervening against them. It's just something that happens in all elections.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yinlock posted:

don't disagree with your overall sentiment but i'm pretty sure this type of thought process is what got us into the "ignore the safe states lol" mindset that totally didn't backfire.

You're right, I misspoke, no votes should be taken for granted, even the coasts. god knows the infection of Orange County might spread some day

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I work three jobs for a combined total of about 20,000/yr after I got laid off from my career track job because my gen X bosses, who have been supported by the largesee of 1%ers their entire lives, thought they could fold my job into a automated 'en suite' program with their new office's leasing agreement, and they have been blaming me for the system not working since letting me go, and badmouthing me to potential employers ever since.

When I was doing some contract work for them earlier in March to do some emergency repairs to several of their systems, I expressed enthusiasm for Sanders, at which point one of my bosses literally said, and I quote, "you're young, so you don't understand how important it is for a woman like Hillary to be president".

Ask me what it's like to be a human metaphor.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how many Dems will back Trumps tarrif that the GOP hates.

@nichael our ageism is due to the boomers having too much influence.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Dec 6, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Oh look, a bunch of polls all showing a massive diminishing in Clintons lead from October. Wonder if something could have affected that. Nah, surely not.

And the difference is that the press went from "it was a nasty email thing" to "Clinton will be indicted literally days after the election."

And yeah, I'm sure anyone else would be able to easily brush off the loving FBI head directly intervening against them. It's just something that happens in all elections.

Did you even read my post that said that that was solely caused by two polls that were outliers? Mind you that they always were outliers and didn't fluctuate much since last time they were posted, they just happened to be posted during that last week. Not to mention that the polls only got closer for like 2 days and then started going back again.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Dec 6, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

neoliberalism cannot fail it can only be failed

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm angry! Angry about comedians!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did you even read my post that said that that was solely caused by two polls that were outliers? Mind you that they always were outliers and didn't fluctuate much since last time they were posted, they just happened to be posted during that last week. Not to mention that the polls only got closer for like 2 days and then started going back again.

Did you even look at your source? Check the numbers against where they were mid October. Fox has her drop 4. Bloomberg and Monmouth have her dropping 6. CBS has her down 7. You cannot possibly say this had no effects.

Vlad Peeps
Aug 16, 2016

OhFunny posted:

Gonna be great to see his reaction when it's Trump.
I don't understand why this is even a question. Person of the Year has gone to the US Presidential winner every election year since 2000.

poo poo, even if Trump had lost, he'd still be That Guy Who hosed Up All The Things And Was In Every News Story All Year.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vlad Peeps posted:

I don't understand why this is even a question. Person of the Year has gone to the US Presidential winner every election year since 2000.

poo poo, even if Trump had lost, he'd still be That Guy Who hosed Up All The Things And Was In Every News Story All Year.

On the other hand, Time got in a lot of poo poo for putting Hitler on the cover once, I doubt they would do it again.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I'm still butthurt bin Laden got shafted in 2001. They went with ~America's Mayor~

platzapS has issued a correction as of 08:52 on Dec 6, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I smell a repeat of 1969 they will do the "The White Working Class" or w/e

Vlad Peeps
Aug 16, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

No, they showed her being ahead in the popular vote. Big difference lol.

quote:

There's a big difference between "Hey... Emails" and "HEAD OF FBI SAYS THIS ONE'S FOR REAL!"

Interestingly, according to exit polling, people who made up their minds after the Comey letter broke for Trump, but people who made up their minds in the last two days, after Comey withdrew his declaration, did not break for Trump.

This lines up with polling: After he released the letter saying she's going to jail, her win probability dropped like a stone, but when he went "lol j/k" a few days before the election, her fall leveled off and even reversed a bit.

source: Nate "Told You" Silver

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Not a Step posted:

Is this some new definition of 'drat good'? She lost to Donald Trump. The second most disliked candidate of all time somehow managed to lose to the most disliked candidate of all time, mainly because people unable to comprehend existence outside of their own bubble thought somehow 30 years of baggage and the charisma of a ham sandwich miraculously wouldn't matter.

Seriously, how do you reconcile this:

with the claims that Hillary was the most qualified candidate ever?
She wasn't a good candidate. She was extremely qualified to be president, but as I keep saying, qualifications and substance don't matter.

Not a Step posted:

You have to drop this talking point. The popular vote does not matter. Running up the score in coastal blue states is not a winning strategy and it doesn't count as 'connecting with people'. Those people would have pulled the lever for an avocado painted blue. If we abandoned a million of them to gain fifty thousand votes in middle America it would be a net gain for the party. We need some state legislatures and some senators back in blue to start making things happen at a national scale. gently caress the coasts.
I don't have to drop any talking point. Honestly, the left should adopt the barrage of bullshit approach that the right has. The fact is, the electoral college is a system designed to disenfranchise minority voters. I can bring that up as much as I want. The right said for eight years Obama was a secret Muslim and it paid off after all.

Unfunny Poster posted:

What aspects of Samantha Bee's life do you look up to?
She's funny and works in an industry I'd like to. And ageism isn't just something I see in political discussions, it's kind constant in explicit and implicit ways. It just depresses me as someone who's always had a lot of older role models, such as my grandparents.

Breakfast All Day posted:

shes in the "the left is racist because they dont understand intersectionality, its not about economics" camp, then immediately turns around and exercises class privilege to oppress minorities

e: nm i was a page behind and see youve responded to this already, namaste
Like I keep saying, she has a lovely opinion, but I'd reserve my ire for Donald Trump & the Deplorables.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This was suspected, but didn't turn out to be true. Him and Jon were in good terms.
Then maybe it was because of Jason and him. I have no idea. Wyatt Cenac always has struck me as somewhat aloof, but that's based off of nothing.

Crowsbeak posted:

@nichael our ageism is due to the boomers having too much influence.
I don't necessarily disagree, I just still dislike it because of my upbringing. I was raised by very progressive and intelligent grandparents, in addition to my parents.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vlad Peeps posted:

that graph brings back memories. I remember thinking "no way trump is going to win :(" and now im all :3:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

when you pass an event horizon, each time you get scared a little less about being put in a life or death situation

eventually you're gonna pledge to protect the weak, the hungry, the timid in the broken husk of the former united states or die horrifically heroically trying

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Did you even look at your source? Check the numbers against where they were mid October. Fox has her drop 4. Bloomberg and Monmouth have her dropping 6. CBS has her down 7. You cannot possibly say this had no effects.

Mid-October was Pussygate. If you look further back Fox and Bloomberg were mostly around +3 to +6. The polls were closing in September and only widened due to Trump's "grab by the pussy scandal". I will admit it, it likely narrowed a bit due to the emails being brought up again, but then it shows that people stopped caring during the last week.

Vlad Peeps posted:

Interesting, but it was already shifting on downward before hand, so in reality it likely cost her even less than suspected. Like mugrim said, it wasn't what cost her the election, but I would agree that it could be argued as the straw that broke the camel's back, and there were A LOT of straws.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Dec 6, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nichael posted:

I don't have to drop any talking point. Honestly, the left should adopt the barrage of bullshit approach that the right has. The fact is, the electoral college is a system designed to disenfranchise minority voters. I can bring that up as much as I want. The right said for eight years Obama was a secret Muslim and it paid off after all.

pedant point: the electoral college was actually designed to stop a donald j trump situation from going forward.

it definitely became a minority-disenfranchisement machine later but that applies to basically anything republicans get their hands on

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Clinton was treated in an absurd and unfair matter. But a good candidate could brush that off. Trump could brush that off. Clinton, as well equipped to be president as she was, did not have the wherewithal to deal with the 30 years of misogynistic bullshit the right put her through. And then in the end, after all that, she won the popular vote (bigly!) but still lost because of a system designed by 200 year dead slaveholders, that is kept in place solely to disenfranchise the cities, comprised disproportionately of people who are not white. Everything is hosed.

Yinlock posted:

pedant point: the electoral college was actually designed to stop a donald j trump situation from going forward.

it definitely became a minority-disenfranchisement machine later but that applies to basically anything republicans get their hands on
I think you'll find that it was designed to do whatever I say because we're in the post-factual reality.

Vlad Peeps
Aug 16, 2016

Baloogan posted:

that graph brings back memories. I remember thinking "no way trump is going to win :(" and now im all :3:

Turns out 29% is different from 0%. It's exactly 29% higher.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Vlad Peeps posted:

Turns out 29% is different from 0%. It's exactly 29% higher.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nichael posted:

I don't necessarily disagree, I just still dislike it because of my upbringing. I was raised by very progressive and intelligent grandparents, in addition to my parents.

Old people are complete garbage unless they're related to you. This is nothing new. That's just the way the world works.

I lost the last of my grandparents in 2009, and I've spent the last seven years just hating every single old person who wasn't them. I can count the number of decent old people I've met in that time on one hand. Otherwise they're all whining babies that can drink, drive and smoke. All they do is bitch and injure themselves, and somehow blame you for it.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Old people are complete garbage unless they're related to you. This is nothing new. That's just the way the world works.

I lost the last of my grandparents in 2009, and I've spent the last seven years just hating every single old person who wasn't them. I can count the number of decent old people I've met in that time on one hand. Otherwise they're all whining babies that can drink, drive and smoke. All they do is bitch and injure themselves, and somehow blame you for it.
One of the most enthusiastic people I met canvassing for Clinton was an older guy who wanted her and the Democrats to "kick Trump's rear end." He was a cool dude.

Some old people bad? Some good???

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

that a villain from a 90's nickelodeon show?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nichael posted:

She's funny and works in an industry I'd like to. And ageism isn't just something I see in political discussions, it's kind constant in explicit and implicit ways. It just depresses me as someone who's always had a lot of older role models, such as my grandparents.

As someone who worked in that industry: :lol: at you thinking its something to admire or look up to.

As for your "how dare you suggest a younger candidate run, you're an ageist" whining schtick: :laffo: at that dumb poo poo. I suggested someone younger run because for a fair number of people seeing a 70 year old woman collapse on her way to her limo isn't really inspiring. Neither is seeing Nancy Pelosi's leather face saying that the DNC will listen to their constituents after loving up royally by not listening.

Mekchu has issued a correction as of 09:19 on Dec 6, 2016

Vlad Peeps
Aug 16, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

Interesting, but it was already on a downward spiral before hand, so in reality it likely cost her even less than suspected.
She was trending slightly down, but the difference is sharp.

Moreover, there's no other event aside from his "lol j/k" announcement that would've made her jump back up in the last days.

It's not really implausible, either. It wasn't just the letter, but the wild speculation & bullshit it triggered because US Media is a stupid dog with a short attention span:

"New emails like the same emails as before. We actually have no idea what, if anything, this story is about. Better make it the entire front page!" - Left-Wing MSM Shills

Trump's wins were razor loving thin. If she got another 0.2 points, we'd be talking about how Madam President won by almost 3 million votes.

Basically, saying it cost her anything at all means it cost her the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Nichael posted:

I guarantee that if people are not constantly reminded of poo poo, the anger and energy wears off. Echo chambers work and can be harnessed for good. Don't disparage them thinking people on the left are too good for them, we're not.

lol nobody thought the left were too good for them and you're in one

• Locked thread