Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
So my Dell U3415W arrived today and holy poo poo it's so huge. I do have one problem, though.

I keep getting TONS of feedback between this and my speakers (Edifier R1280T) which is leading me to have to cut off my speakers to be able to stand it. Cursory googling doesn't really turn up anything giving me a solution - does anyone know what could be suddenly causing this with this new monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Coredump posted:

AWW crap, it only does 75 hz, my bad. Thought it did 100 hz.

http://www.costco.com/HP-Omen-32-32%22-QHD-Monitor.product.100312359.html - Costco recently had it down to $300 over black friday, I would keep an eye out this panel will probably drop that low again.

Freesync is Amd's version of variable refresh rate like gsync. So the monitor displays a frame when the gpu has one ready to send instead of a frame at a set rate, such as 60hz. I'm sure someone can come with a waaayyy better explanation.

I bought the monitor when they had it as the HP Envy 32. It should be a VA panel, which is better colors than a tn, but not quite as good as IPS, better blacks, etc. My doesn't do over 60 but I've really liked it, especially for the price I paid for it back then. Lots of monitor the for the price. We also bought several of them at work and everyone who gets one really likes it. Here's a reddit thread on it. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/5emoga/monitor_hp_omen_32_va_75hz_5ms_freesync_2560x1440/

Thanks. Though 75 Hz I hear is quite a bit better than 60 Hz, I'd like to go higher than that.

Still looking for a 32"+, non-TN, 100+ Hz, 2560 x 1440 (16:9) monitor. Anyone know if anything is getting released in December or January?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
CES is in early January, so we'll see then. It's doubtful that anything shown there in the display sector will go on sale immediately, though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

CES is in early January, so we'll see then. It's doubtful that anything shown there in the display sector will go on sale immediately, though.

Half the poo poo from last CES was vaporware... even the Monoprice 21:9 1440p they were gonna do.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I'm warming up to the 75 Hz HP Omen if there won't be anything 100+ Hz with the rest of specs I want between now and February.

I was originally considering the Samsung S32D850T. How do the panels compare? What would be better for design work?

Edit: Also, how does 75 Hz look compared to 60? Is it much worse than 120/144?

small butter fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 3, 2016

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Was watching sales, then I got my xmas bonus that I never budget for and it was super good, so I said gently caress it, drove to microcenter, and grabbed an Acer XB271HU for $760.

Doesn't seem to have any back-light bleeding, or if it does it's minimal. No dead pixels, but there is what appears to be a small curled hair, perhaps a pube, in the bottom right corner. It's probably not a hair, I can't tell what it is but it's small as poo poo, and so out of the way it's basically imperceptible. Actually, yeah, if I'm not leaning in looking for dead pixels I straight up can't see it.

Just checking my regular bookmarks I can see that the color is better than my last monitor, so already liking the IPS. The OSD menu is so bad, I was all, "it can't possibly be that bad" but no, it is. Hell, while I was screwing around with the floor model I got it to behave in a way I haven't been able to replicate since, there was like a selection box on the main items and I don't even know.

I also discovered that Display Port transmits sound even if your headphones are plugged into the computer. Didn't know that, but the monitor speakers are actually decent so that's handy to know.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Brightman posted:

I also discovered that Display Port transmits sound even if your headphones are plugged into the computer. Didn't know that, but the monitor speakers are actually decent so that's handy to know.

Rightclick your speaker icon in the system trap and click playback devices. Disable the XB271HU, make sure the device you want is set you default.

And yes, the Acer OSD's are awful. Its something like 10 clicks to turn the on screen crosshair on and off...

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Rightclick your speaker icon in the system trap and click playback devices. Disable the XB271HU, make sure the device you want is set you default.

And yes, the Acer OSD's are awful. Its something like 10 clicks to turn the on screen crosshair on and off...

Thanks, I knew of this solution but had forgotten it, and yeah 8 to 10 clicks depending on which crosshair you want.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brightman posted:

drove to microcenter, and grabbed an Acer XB271HU for $760.

Holy poo poo, I hadn't even considered this as an option. Micro Center doesn't show up as an option when I do a google search for the 271. Looks like my local store has 10+ in stock, though. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Ghostpilot posted:

Out of curiosity, what 27" monitor were you using?

ASUS PG278Q ROG, so the first line I think? Good TN, but still TN.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Man the PG278Q is a poor buy now, but you've gotta respect it for basically ushering in the era of fantastic monitors. It was the first >1080p >60Hz monitor, and the first with GSync, and it's massive success and hype lead to the current monitor arms race.

Overnight we went from 1080p144Hz TN or 1440p60Hz IPS with no adaptive refresh rate, to the crazy range of badass gaming screens there is today.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It hasn't helped prices much, though. The PB278Q is still almost $400 four years after release.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I have a $999 black friday PG348Q sitting in my car waiting for me to get off from work. I actually think I like the less flashy design of the X34 a little better, but this was a good deal for a new monitor. Really anxious to get home and put it through its paces. Will be my first ultrawide, first g-sync, and first monitor that can do more than 60 hz. Hoping that parking it at or near 100 hz for full time use is okay.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Filthy Monkey posted:

I have a $999 black friday PG348Q sitting in my car waiting for me to get off from work. I actually think I like the less flashy design of the X34 a little better, but this was a good deal for a new monitor. Really anxious to get home and put it through its paces. Will be my first ultrawide, first g-sync, and first monitor that can do more than 60 hz. Hoping that parking it at or near 100 hz for full time use is okay.

The Asus is probably a better monitor if not solely for the on screen display controls. The stand, however, is a little bit... much.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a Dell P2715Q monitor. I would like to put a mITX PC (probably in the MiniBox M350 case) on the VESA mount somehow if possible. I basically want this:

Right now I have the normal OEM stand. It looks like this covers the VESA mounting screws (100x100).

Ideally I would like to use the regular stand but I don't see a way to do it. The only way I can see to make it work is with a VESA monitor arm.

If I go to a VESA mount, I would have to mount "through" the case. There is a mounting bracket for the case that you attach to the monitor's VESA mount. The bottom of the case seems to have a 100x100 VESA mount and I would attach that to the arm.

If you look at the second image there, you can see the bottom of the case is facing outwards in a way that would appear to let me mount a VESA arm. The bracket seems to have one 200x200 on the other side, so I would also need an adapter plate to the 100x100.

So it would be: Arm -> bolt to case ->bolt into bracket ->bolt to 100mm adapter -> bolt to monitor

Alternately I think I could also go Arm ->200 to 100mm adapter - bracket - case - monitor.

I've never done any of this before. Does that sound right or totally insane? Am I missing something easy? Is the case going to be able to take the load of a 24lb monitor mounted through it?

Or should I just forget it all and set it on my desk?

edit: actually I think in the second image the case may just be resting inside the bracket not mounted to it, so I could't mount to the bottom without the monitor pulling itself off the case. Are the brackets on the "close side" 200mm VESA so that I could get an adapter, or are they just brackets for screwing it into the wall?

double edit: nevermind, this is what I need - Dual VESA & Wall Mount Bracket for M350 Digital Signage Enclosure

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 6, 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
So with all the talk of Asus, I just grabbed a PG248Q for $300 on Black Friday weekend. I didn't really want to go much more (Maybe $350ish), so is there a better option for a G-Sync monitor in that range?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nut Bunnies posted:

So with all the talk of Asus, I just grabbed a PG248Q for $300 on Black Friday weekend. I didn't really want to go much more (Maybe $350ish), so is there a better option for a G-Sync monitor in that range?

The closest option is the 24" version of Dell's TN-paneled gaming monitor. That's seen ~$350 before, while the 27" generally goes on sale for $100 more.

Both are 1440p displays, though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Asus is probably a better monitor if not solely for the on screen display controls. The stand, however, is a little bit... much.
Using it right now. The stand with the projected nonsense is stupid. No doubt about that. Monitor is great though. Some slight backlight bleed in the upper left, but I really have to be looking for it. Not visible during normal use. No dead pixels, and is currently running at 100 hz like a champ. Definitely going to keep it.

First thing that struck me was how smooth things looked at 100 hz compared to my normal 60. Even just moving windows around and scrolling through webpages feels a lot smoother. Games definitely feel smoother with gsync, even if my 980ti can't keep some of the more recent releases going at 100 Hz. Was just trying mankind divided, and it feels really good.

Also, the thing is frigging huge. I think I need a bigger desk. Playing the new stellaris patch on it right now, and it is very nice. I tried to take a picture of it on my desk, but I suck at photography and all the pictures came out looking like grainy poo poo, so gently caress it.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 6, 2016

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The closest option is the 24" version of Dell's TN-paneled gaming monitor. That's seen ~$350 before, while the 27" generally goes on sale for $100 more.

Both are 1440p displays, though.

I reaaaaaally wanted the 24" Dell one, but it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere but Amazon Marketplace for $450+ new.

I would wildly prefer IPS + Gsync + "retina" DPI, but my budget can't handle that for now. Maybe in a year.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 6, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it silly to try finding a 24 inch monitor that looks nice for gaming? My hardware revolves around 1080p gaming. Higher refresh rates would be nice though. But all the mumbo jumbo of the OP is making me doubt the potential 5 star candidates on newegg?

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
There are lots of nice 24" monitors. The main thing thing about 24"/1080p is that you have to choose between higher refresh rate or higher quality colours (ie IPS panels.) You have to go 27"/1440p to get both in the same monitor. If you play games where a higher refresh rate is nice, imo they are worth getting but the colours are definitely nicer on IPS screens. Which are only found in 60Hz 1080p monitors or higher res monitors.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you can hit a solid 60fps at 1080p on your hardware, then 1440p with G/Freesync could also give you acceptable performance.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Better colors sounds kinda cool, my Target-bought Acer has sorta a bland display, noticeable when I'm playing certain games with a lot of blacks.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dali Parton posted:

Better colors sounds kinda cool, my Target-bought Acer has sorta a bland display, noticeable when I'm playing certain games with a lot of blacks.

Also it depends on the sort of games you play and hardware you have. If you play lots of fast paced FPS games then a high refresh rate monitor might be worth it as long as your hardware can run those games at a high frame rate. If you play strategy games, MMOs, MOBA games and so on then an IPS monitor is going to be better. IPS is also better for general use like web browsing and work related stuff because the picture on IPS monitors tends to be better period.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dali Parton posted:

You should play with your color settings too. Sometimes that's caused by having your brightness too high or your contrast/saturation too low.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

You should play with your color settings too. Sometimes that's caused by having your brightness too high or your contrast/saturation too low.
Yeah i'll check this out. Not very many options to fuss around with on the monitor, but we'll see.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also it depends on the sort of games you play and hardware you have. If you play lots of fast paced FPS games then a high refresh rate monitor might be worth it as long as your hardware can run those games at a high frame rate. If you play strategy games, MMOs, MOBA games and so on then an IPS monitor is going to be better. IPS is also better for general use like web browsing and work related stuff because the picture on IPS monitors tends to be better period.
The quickest game I'm playing right now is Overwatch. My other FPS games are generally slower paced. I suck at twitch-like reflexes and CS:GO scares me, so maybe I don't need a huge refresh rate? My current hardware is fantastic for 60fps 1080p gaming, but I cant imagine my frame rates would go all the way to 144, let alone 120?

This is going to be a really stupid question/comment but, what monitor comes closest to a MacBook Pro Retina display? I basically never cared about monitor quality until I got this laptop, and christ everything looks so bland comparatively. I know Retina screens have overkill resolution as part of their charm, but sharpness aside, photos look fantastic on here. But how much of that is my brain thinking "glossy=cool"? Because it always does look quite nice.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Col.Kiwi posted:

There are lots of nice 24" monitors. The main thing thing about 24"/1080p is that you have to choose between higher refresh rate or higher quality colours (ie IPS panels.) You have to go 27"/1440p to get both in the same monitor. If you play games where a higher refresh rate is nice, imo they are worth getting but the colours are definitely nicer on IPS screens. Which are only found in 60Hz 1080p monitors or higher res monitors.

There is one non-TN 24" 1080p@144Hz monitor, Samsung's C24FG70, but it's like $350, which is pricey for a freesync monitor of its class. Might as well save an extra 100 and get a refurb 1440p@144Hz IPS.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I'm trying to choose between the Samsung S32D850T with a VA panel and the HP Envy with a WVA panel. I do design work as well as play games.

Which panel is better for design work? I'm concerned about how inexpensive (cheap?) the HP Omen sometimes gets and whether this is indicative of a worse quality panel.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dali Parton posted:

Yeah i'll check this out. Not very many options to fuss around with on the monitor, but we'll see.

The quickest game I'm playing right now is Overwatch. My other FPS games are generally slower paced. I suck at twitch-like reflexes and CS:GO scares me, so maybe I don't need a huge refresh rate? My current hardware is fantastic for 60fps 1080p gaming, but I cant imagine my frame rates would go all the way to 144, let alone 120?

This is going to be a really stupid question/comment but, what monitor comes closest to a MacBook Pro Retina display? I basically never cared about monitor quality until I got this laptop, and christ everything looks so bland comparatively. I know Retina screens have overkill resolution as part of their charm, but sharpness aside, photos look fantastic on here. But how much of that is my brain thinking "glossy=cool"? Because it always does look quite nice.

All the displays Apple uses are IPS or OLED, though you only really see OLED on small screens like phones. Part of why the colors "pop" so well on retina displays is indeed the glossy coating, you don't really see glossy coating on PC monitors because of the glare issues but good IPS monitors do have very light anti-glare coatings and will certainly look much better than your older TN display. The closest thing I can think of to a retina display at 1080p would be something like the Dell U2414H which has a very high quality IPS panel and a light anti-glare coating.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Picked up my XB271HU yesterday, and as expected it's going right back on account of BLB in the top right corner and along the bottom edge, plus it has either dead pixels or dust behind the screen right in the very middle. I think I maaaaaybe could have let the light bleed slide as it is really only noticeable viewing at a distance in the dark, and it's an hour drive each way to return it. But the dust or pixel in the middle can not be unseen, not at this price point. I will say, however, to anyone that's on the fence about buying an expensive high-refresh monitor: do it. The resolution didn't blow me away, in fact it seemed to be roughly the same pixel density as my 22" monitor, just on a bigger screen. My old panel is IPS as well, so the colors didn't look any better than what I was already used to. But the refresh rate.. Holy moley. :pcgaming: I played a few games of Rocket League at 165, and then turned it back down to 60 to see the difference and I couldn't believe my eyes. It felt like dropping down to 15 fps. You really have to see it in action to believe it. Here's hoping I'm a little luckier on my exchange.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

All the displays Apple uses are IPS or OLED, though you only really see OLED on small screens like phones. Part of why the colors "pop" so well on retina displays is indeed the glossy coating, you don't really see glossy coating on PC monitors because of the glare issues but good IPS monitors do have very light anti-glare coatings and will certainly look much better than your older TN display. The closest thing I can think of to a retina display at 1080p would be something like the Dell U2414H which has a very high quality IPS panel and a light anti-glare coating.

I see the U2414H for 50 dollars less on amazon, but it's a refurb. Seller has a 97% rating. How much am I playing with fire?

e: Lol never mind, someone swooped it. Come show yourself, goon.

buglord fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 6, 2016

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

https://www.monitornerds.com/dell-up3017q-review-120hz-oled-4k-monitor/

Review of Dell's 30 inch 4k 120hz oled monitor. Price tag $5,000. If this thing is real and not vaporware I want it very badly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Coredump posted:

Review of Dell's 30 inch 4k 120hz oled monitor. Price tag $5,000. If this thing is real and not vaporware I want it very badly.

It says it uses USB-C instead of DisplayPort to achieve 120hz... do they mean it uses DisplayPort over USB-C?

That review reads like they got a photo of the monitor and a press release of the specs and just guessed at everything.

And you'd think for $5000 they could at least toss in FreeSync... to date Dell has exactly one FreeSync monitor and it is 1080p.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Coredump posted:

That is not a review.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I still read it like it was porn, though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So I've discovered the joys of custom resolutions in the Nvidia control panel. I've got my 60 hz LG 27EA33V up to 74hz. I've done some web browser vsync tests in my web browser and they are showing that high a refresh rate. If I got up to 75, the monitor tells me that it is too high.

My question is, are the games I play going to use the custom resolution (refresh rate)? If so or not, how do I tell? Do I need to manually set it in games that support setting refresh rate?

Thanks!

edit: world of tanks has a helpful setting that displays available refresh rates, of which 74 is included.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 7, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Bought a refurbed X34 off Acer's eBay store a bit ago and it finally showed up.

Wow.

Even though I'm running it off a laptop's HDMI out (let me tell you a sad tale about a pin falling out of my X99 motherboard's socket while re-pasting the cooler), and thus limited to 50Hz, the shear space available on this thing is crazy. And this is coming from a guy who was running 3x27" monitors before.

The real trouble now is that my desk isn't big enough for a 27-34-27 setup, so I'm going to have to get creative with monitor arrangement. Or finally get a bigger desk.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Jago posted:

My question is, are the games I play going to use the custom resolution (refresh rate)? If so or not, how do I tell? Do I need to manually set it in games that support setting refresh rate?

If you have your custom resolution/refresh rate set and active, games should default to using that. Some games lock themselves to other rates (usually 30 or 60), but they are the exceptions rather than the rule. Many games, in their options panel, allow you to select some combination of resolution and refresh rate, and your custom setup should be listed there alongside all the normal ones.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
OK, cool. Followup: if I use vsync, will it drop down to 37fps for the half rate?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yes.