Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll get back to you on those themes and story when I actually finish playing through both games, but after MGS4 and Ground Zeroes I'm predicting they're gonna be really stupid.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Didn't Hayter also say that Kojima become upset that he basically became the face of Metal Gear Solid up until V started serious production? Like when there were award shows and the sort back in 2005 you'd have the Voice of Solid Snake David Hayter presenting something usually. It was like how Nolan North basically became the face of the entire Uncharted series and for some reason Kojima really wasn't comfortable with it happening with his own series.

That's entirely possible. Only Kojima really knows the reason, but it's a bad move for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

I'll get back to you on those themes and story when I actually finish playing through both games, but after MGS4 and Ground Zeroes I'm predicting they're gonna be really stupid.

You will feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Mgs5 has fewer cutscenes than the other metal gears. For example, mgs4 had an ending,

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MGS4 had like four endings in a row.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

CJacobs posted:

MGS4 had like four endings in a row.

all of them an hour and a half long.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hayter was really bad in PW.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPnTa1UJPEI

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTEMaM7INNI

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Love never bloomed on the battlefield for Solid Snake.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Hayter being fired is also why Metal Gear Rising's US release didn't have the special wooden sword haunted by the spirit of Solid Snake, which would randomly comment on the gameplay in Snake's voice.

This may be what hurt the most

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If you want to fight with big stompy anime robots, Titanfall 2 is actually real good. Over the free weekend I was able to unlock all the robots. The Robots-only mode is made even better than it was in the first game due to having 6 different robots with more differentiation, rather than 3 robot types that could use any weapon and ability that just resulted in everyone being zippy dash core striders with charge lasers. It really does need to be 6v6 with picks and bans though. And the lack of recharging shields has really improved the no-respawn robot combat from the first game.

If you want to run around and shoot mans then I don't know if it's very good. But why would you want to do that? It's a robot game. Be robots. Shoot robots.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Hayter is definitely Solid Snake to me and always will be, but I did really like Keifer as Venom/Big Boss. The MGSVs were a pretty big tonal shift from prior Metal Gears and I think it worked out pretty well.

Also:

Mr E posted:

Hayter was really bad in PW.
This, and:

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Didn't Hayter also say that Kojima become upset that he basically became the face of Metal Gear Solid up until V started serious production? Like when there were award shows and the sort back in 2005 you'd have the Voice of Solid Snake David Hayter presenting something usually. It was like how Nolan North basically became the face of the entire Uncharted series and for some reason Kojima really wasn't comfortable with it happening with his own series.

I do remember him showing up places officially "as" Solid Snake, like I think he had a thing where he shanked Geoff Keighley or someone at the game awards as Snake from MGS3. If that wasn't sanctioned by Konami/Kojipro, I can see that rubbing Kojima the wrong way. He's a nutty auteur and control freak about how his games are portrayed at shows and events, so that would've been a big no-no.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I did it, guys. I beat World of Warcraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWBVWSRo2w

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The only way to beat world of Warcraft is not to play

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

The only way to beat world of Warcraft is not to play

Please refer to my video.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

I have a hard time buying this considering that a chatty Venom Snake goes completely against the story, direction, and tone of MGSV as a whole.

Yeah it always struck me as some real grasping at straws.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat Mega Man X and holy gently caress thats one hell of a game. The movement, the weapons, the upgrades, the secrets hidden in the levels, the level design. All of it was pitch perfect, in the future whenever Im able to have my SNES set up again I'm going to get a cart and keep that one forever. Along with Kirby Super Star.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

I beat Mega Man X and holy gently caress thats one hell of a game. The movement, the weapons, the upgrades, the secrets hidden in the levels, the level design. All of it was pitch perfect, in the future whenever Im able to have my SNES set up again I'm going to get a cart and keep that one forever. Along with Kirby Super Star.

it's a good game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Booting up MM7 immediately after makes me question 7's existence.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In Training posted:

Booting up MM7 immediately after makes me question 7's existence.

8 is much better.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
MMX1-4 are the best Mega Man games there are. X6 and 7 are probably the worst.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kojima wrote Venom Snake less chatty because he'd just finished watchind Drive.

That's the way I heard it, at least.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mega Man 7 is good actually

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Kojima wrote Venom Snake less chatty because he'd just finished watchind Drive.

That's the way I heard it, at least.

I haven't played MGS5 but for some reason I feel like Snake and the Driver have pretty different personalities

and Snake has a much better fashion sense

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

I meant X7, which certainly is not good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
X6 isn't irredeemable dumpster trash

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

It's OK but it seems super uninspired. I've only beaten 3 of the first 4 levels (WTF only being able to choose from half...)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

In Training posted:

There is a reason why MMX is pretty much universally regarded the best Megaman game.

It's just that drat good.

7 ain't bad. The whole big sprites was weird but I still liked it for what it did. Plus it did have some pretty kick rear end tunes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the emulator I'm using is sub-par because the sound in 7 sounds real grody and off tune. Didn't have any issues with X so who knows.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

It's pretty bad. The level design sucks, the random weather effects were not implemented with the stages in mind and just everything is kind of dull and seems to lack any real direction or cohesion. X5 was rushed and it hurt it badly and was a major step down but was still passable. X6 was a major step down from that. It's not as bad as X7 but that at least has the excuse of being them trying something different. X6 is more of the same but far worse.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Can we work on a literal meaning for the word "soulslike"?

"metroidvania but in 3d and not bad"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Stux posted:

So, Metroid Prime?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

you're describing Zelda not dark souls

if your next post is to trash Zelda i will tell shigeru miyamoto personally of your transgression

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Shindragon posted:

There is a reason why MMX is pretty much universally regarded the best Megaman game.

It's just that drat good.

7 ain't bad. The whole big sprites was weird but I still liked it for what it did. Plus it did have some pretty kick rear end tunes.

7 also has quite a few neat little secrets in it, which I always enjoy.

Dewgy posted:

Poise basically makes you able to tank damage while swinging heavier weapons without getting the attack interrupted.

Some people call this hyper armor, because I guess every video game thing needs a special name, but that's all it really does.

Hyper armor is a term from fighting games where certain characters (e.g. The Incredible Hulk) can take a single hit without interrupting their actions. It got a name because in that context it made sense, and thus it became normal to apply it to similar things in other games.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 6, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So, Metroid Prime?

"but not bad"

Quest For Glory II posted:

you're describing Zelda not dark souls

if your next post is to trash Zelda i will tell shigeru miyamoto personally of your transgression

"but not bad"

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Stux posted:

"combat orientated metroidvania but in 3d and polarizing"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Looper posted:

The biggest strike is how obvious they rushed it out. I remember it only made what.. 9 months and them boom rushed out. Like X6 had the potential to be good but just alot of it was really bad. Like the nightmare system etc was a good idea in theory and all but it was really unfinished.

Also just wait til you get to the Fortress stages.

Holy poo poo they are bad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Training posted:

It's OK but it seems super uninspired. I've only beaten 3 of the first 4 levels (WTF only being able to choose from half...)

I told you to play it before X for a reason. Now you've seen Mega Man's true potential and cannot go back.

In Training posted:

I think the emulator I'm using is sub-par because the sound in 7 sounds real grody and off tune. Didn't have any issues with X so who knows.

All SNES emulators are sub-par unless they're higan/bsnes

quote:

X6 is bad

I played through it like twice and didn't really find it that terrible. Mind I played exclusively as Zero and it's pretty fun.

Also the music is hella good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvm1aR8FrNg

E: i will admit that this fucker's stage and the volcano level are incredibly bad

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 6, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

In theory that lets you design the second half of the levels with the abilities you get in the first half in mind. I dunno if 7 does that though since I've never played it, but 8 definitely does.

Also it was getting to the point where 'here's 8 levels with no idea what order to do then in' was starting to be unacceptable design when that came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

In theory that lets you design the second half of the levels with the abilities you get in the first half in mind. I dunno if 7 does that though since I've never played it, but 8 definitely does.

Also it was getting to the point where 'here's 8 levels with no idea what order to do then in' was starting to be unacceptable design when that came out.

7 is the first one I've played where the beams do something in the levels and the rush abilities are actually hidden in these levels (at least one is, idk how many there). Which is kinda neat but the art style and levels themselves are still enough of a drag that I haven't gotten into it. Seems pretty easy though and since all these games are like 2 - 3 hours there's no real reason to skip one

• Locked thread