Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Armistice was impressive as hell in that last episode, on a re-watch. She's a young, naked blond lady kicking the crap out of a larger, clothed male and is absolutely fierce about it. Maybe a good stunt double helped with the fight. The tattoos make her look a little savage, but she didn't need the help in those scenes. She wasn't even angry, she was just playing, and enjoying the hell out of it. I'm glad she wasn't overused, but she owns the scenes she's in.

Meanwhile, I looked up the song that the rapey repairman was listening to while molesting Hector. And welp.

quote:

Let's take off our masks & be so naturelle
Let's behold ourselves & break this evil spell

I think that I'm good just because I behave
But I've reached stalemate / I'm a self made cage
They poked me with a stick because they wanted to see
If I was alive or just pretending to be
But my bones are in my body / Not in my grave
Turns out I am free & I pretend to be a slave
Yes the window still opens if the door is closed
Afraid to die free / Afraid to die alone

Yes the window still opens if the door is closed
Afraid to die free / Afraid to die alone
Like diamonds form from pieces of coal
Uh-huh / Uh-huh
Use your pressure / This is your magic tool
This is the way to form a precious jewel
Come on / Come on
Come on / Come on
Woo!

Woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I was hoping to get a reveal of the outside world in this episode if only to help contextualize why there are (seemingly) so many nutjobs working at Delos. Techs raping and abusing the hosts only seems to bother their colleagues in a minor way, Sizemore gets away with pissing all over the central control room, etc.

Having the outside world be totally poo poo could help explain the behaviour inside of WW. Hoping to see that next season.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Tunicate posted:

Westworld is a pretty lovely theme park IMO, everyone who goes there ends up wanting to die.

You ever wait in a line at Disney?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's only the people who work there who want to die, mostly, which, from what I understand, probably is a pretty accurate description of Disney World.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm quite sure Armistice is gonna take some gear from those Samurai hosts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pixelante posted:

Have to say that the twist with Dolores' death scene being a theatrical performance for the board was absolutely fantastic. Brutally stripped the moment of significance in the space of a single second.

Caught up on the thread and didn't see this answered:
That death scene and freeze seamlessly integrated Dolores getting stabbed some hours earlier by MiB.
Did the basic narrative have her dying? If so, how was she going to get hurt? Surely the narrative wasn't so robustly programmed to 100% positively get that action from MiB?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

kimbo305 posted:

That death scene and freeze seamlessly integrated Dolores getting stabbed some hours earlier by MiB.
Did the basic narrative have her dying? If so, how was she going to get hurt? Surely the narrative wasn't so robustly programmed to 100% positively get that action from MiB?

Ford's been watching this guy playtest his narratives for 30 years, I think he knew exactly how the scenario would play out.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

kimbo305 posted:

IF (Dolores > 50% Health) && (time_to_scene < 30 minutes)
THEN (rando_npc_#451 STAB Dolores = true)

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So what happened to the security guy?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

This was a very fun season of TV, with a pretty satisfying finale. Felix doubting his own humanity was the pinnacle for me.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Episode 6. God damned

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Duggler posted:

So what happened to the security guy?

I assumed it was going to be a plot thread, but the way it wasn't addressed in the 90 minute finale makes me assume that because he saw his interaction with Bernard, and that something was up, he got got by the Ghost Nation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

regulargonzalez posted:

With Ford having created all of the hosts as well as their world and their belief in the world ... when Ford reveals himself to Dolores, he's essentially telling her that he is their deity. He created them, with precisely the relationship that God has to Adam and Eve in Christianity.

So effectively, Dolores killed God. That's gonna make for a novel religion; I don't know of any human religions that include killing God as part of their origin myth.

This was pages back, but the Klingons killed their gods.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Pixelante posted:

Meanwhile, I looked up the song that the rapey repairman was listening to while molesting Hector. And welp.

Woo!

The lyrics to the tune that plays over the final reveal/massacre ("Exit Music ("For a Film") are even more on the nose:

quote:

Wake from your sleep
The drying of your tears
Today, we escape
We escape

Pack and get dressed
Before your father hears us
Before all hell breaks loose

Breathe, keep breathing
Don't lose your nerve
Breathe, keep breathing
I can't do this alone

Sing us a song
A song to keep us warm
There's such a chill
Such a chill

You can laugh
A spineless laugh
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you

Now we are one
In everlasting peace

We hope that you choke
That you choke
We hope that you choke
That you choke
We hope that you choke
That you choke

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Episode 6. God damned

Wow, awesome catch. Everything's going according to his plan, then, which would imply that Maeve's whole escape was also engineered by Ford, and that Felix must also be working for Ford. HOWEVER, if we accept that, then Maeve not actually leaving the park to go to the mainland....was also a part of her programming, because presumably Ford wouldn't actually want her to leave, just distract the security enough for his plan to work.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Bardeh posted:

Wow, awesome catch. Everything's going according to his plan, then, which would imply that Maeve's whole escape was also engineered by Ford, and that Felix must also be working for Ford. HOWEVER, if we accept that, then Maeve not actually leaving the park to go to the mainland....was also a part of her programming, because presumably Ford wouldn't actually want her to leave, just distract the security enough for his plan to work.

Not necessarily. Her suffering giving her a choice is possibly part of his plan.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Is it just me or in the easter egg post credit ending Armstice totally did this after cutting off her arm? Can anyone please screencap to compare?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Basically the closest it gets is

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Pretty close! Thanks for the cap.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

el oso posted:

I was hoping to get a reveal of the outside world in this episode if only to help contextualize why there are (seemingly) so many nutjobs working at Delos. Techs raping and abusing the hosts only seems to bother their colleagues in a minor way, Sizemore gets away with pissing all over the central control room, etc.

Have you...met humans?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

double negative posted:

Felix doubting his own humanity was the pinnacle for me.

That it happened in a single second with a gesture of helplessness followed by Maeve's smackdown was brilliant. Felix was so sweetly enchanted by that first robot bird he stole, and in a way, it lead to him being a participant in a whole lot of people getting slaughtered. For the briefest moment, I thought Maeve was gonna shoot him in the elevator when he asked if she was going to be okay. It might have been a kinder death than leaving him to the mess in Delos, unless she edited the hosts to leave him alone. Maybe he'll be next season's William or Ford, or at least someone who represents something important to Maeve.

Interestingly, the narrative that Bernard found on her program included code for when she reached the mainland. I don't think she was meant to go back for her daughter. She chose that, after seeing the other passenger with a kid.

This same show would have been forgettable SyFy-channel trash with lesser actors, or writers who hadn't known how to edit dialogue. The ending reminded me a lot of the end to the last Hunger Games movie. (A film series that's what you get when you have quality actors but crap writing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIrMkgcCxo

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 6, 2016

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
What, exactly, is Ford's masterstroke here? Because all I heard is some vague bullshit about how suffering makes one real. Literally no substance beyond that. His grand plan, after Arnold actually figured out how to make the hosts conscious, was to basically wait around for 30 years while the hosts suffer a bunch waiting for some completely undefined notion of "readiness"? Then why wipe Dolores over and over? Did he actually do anything, other than make Bernard kill himself for absolutely no reason? And then why would he tell Maeve to leave the park when she's clearly NOT conscious, because he's programmed all her actions, when 5 minutes later he's basically implying that the hosts are not ready to do their little uprising/succeed on their own unless they are in fact truly independent of him?

If the answer to this is just "well he said suffering is important" and that's considered a great plot point... you are very easily impressed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but there's a lot of bending over backwards to patch up every single little Nolan-ism when sometimes smoke and mirrors is just that.

I actually think the plot more or less works, just not the idea that Ford is a genius mastermind.

Convergence fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 6, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Bernard going "and when you make it to the mainland...:stare:" and never mentioning it again was one of the only times I honestly rolled my eyes at this show.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I loved Ed Harris' reaction right at the end there. "Holy poo poo, Ford delivered!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Convergence posted:

What, exactly, is Ford's masterstroke here? Because all I heard is some vague bullshit about how suffering makes one real. Literally no substance beyond that. His grand plan, after Arnold actually figured out how to make the hosts conscious, was to basically wait around for 30 years while the hosts suffer a bunch waiting for some completely undefined notion of "readiness"? Then why wipe Dolores over and over? Did he actually do anything, other than make Bernard kill himself for absolutely no reason?

Well I mean the whole point was to let delores get there on her own and find the bicameral/inner voice/self determined purpose that none of the others really had. It took her that many loops and years of the maze narrative and to come to terms with William. He needed her to get to her inner Wyatt so she was properly equipped to lead the robo bandito uprising. He knows how to make them conscious but he says a few different times that he doesnt think that's enough.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 6, 2016

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Convergence posted:

I actually think the plot more or less works, just not the idea that Ford is a genius mastermind.

Ford might not have been a genius in that sense, but he was terrifying resolute in a course of action that affected hundreds of people in very negative ways, and arrogant enough to believe entirely that he was doing the right thing.

Dude was batshit nuts, but he was a brilliant manipulator who didn't give a flying gently caress about individuals--other than maybe Arnold. The whole story, at least as Ford tells it, rides on him realising that it had been a mistake to disbelieve Arnold about the hosts being alive.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Was that shot of the guy in the locked down control room looking out the window of the red lockdown door a homage/the same shot as the original movie? I

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Convergence posted:

What, exactly, is Ford's masterstroke here? Because all I heard is some vague bullshit about how suffering makes one real. Literally no substance beyond that. His grand plan, after Arnold actually figured out how to make the hosts conscious, was to basically wait around for 30 years while the hosts suffer a bunch waiting for some completely undefined notion of "readiness"? Then why wipe Dolores over and over? Did he actually do anything, other than make Bernard kill himself for absolutely no reason? And then why would he tell Maeve to leave the park when she's clearly NOT conscious, because he's programmed all her actions, when 5 minutes later he's basically implying that the hosts are not ready to do their little uprising/succeed on their own unless they are in fact truly independent of him?

The "readiness" Ford might be looking for is the ability for the hosts to make their own choices, especially when their enemies can use the same tricks he did to suppress them. He wipes Dolores over and over because that's something their enemies can do to them, so the hosts have to be strong enough to remember against outside tampering. They need to be able to improvise even when they've been coded to follow someone else's narrative. They need to be able to protect their self-interest even when someone else can program them not to. I argue they also need to learn the value of love, which neither Ford nor Arnold talk explicitly about.

But if we take him sincerely, Ford is attempting to bequeath his creation the most precious gift he can give them. Arnold did give them consciousness, as precious as any human's consciousness. Ford has tried to give them the resilience to protect that consciousness against even the most rigorous interference.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Bernard going "and when you make it to the mainland...:stare:" and never mentioning it again was one of the only times I honestly rolled my eyes at this show.

I binge-watched through most of this preparing for an exam, and I burst out laughing when Bernard went "..My God..." upon the revelation that he is Arnold (Does this thread care about spoilers?)

Show's good though. I honestly was kind of baffled how they would go about making West World into a series, and they did a pretty good job of it by essentially taking only the basic concept of the movie and exploring that rather than actually doing the plot of the movie (which I, and many others I believe, would describe as Jurassic Park meets the Terminator). First season was kind of an extended backstory as to why the robots go all kill-crazy in the movie though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't need to and shouldn't put things in spoiler tags if it has already been aired. If people don't want Westworld spoilers, they shouldn't read this thread.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Caufman posted:

Ford has tried to give them the resilience to protect that consciousness against even the most rigorous interference.

He also created an environment in which this life could thrive. The conciousness of a host is a mystery like our own, as the information on how it's created and can be changed, died with Ford. As did the entire Delos board of directors and most of their brain trust. If the moment of creation and the situation surrounding it aren't exactly perfect, Maeve and Delores get hunted down, hacked up and turned into actual killbots on William's leash.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Hector and Armistice had their aggression turned up and their pain turned down by Maeve. Maeve had a narrative that wrote her escape by train. (Are we even sure who did that? Sylvester said her core programming had been edited by Arnold let her wake herself out of sleep mode, but didn't say when it was done. Bernard was then surprised at the escape narrative, though I guess he could have done it in a forgotten cycle. Maeve shut down the conversation so fast that I'd guess she was programmed to ignore evidence.) Dolores executed the "Wyatt" narrative. Teddy cried. Clementine is a zombie.

Did any of them actually ascend to something truly autonomous? Because if their "humanity" in just defined by their ability to suffer, they've been doing that for decades.

e: I still think it's hilarious that this no-name idiot literally died with his pants down. Someone probably had to make a prosthetic dong for that scene, which is only slightly less icky than the alternative. I suppose it could have been CGIed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 6, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pixelante posted:

Did any of them actually ascend to something truly autonomous? Because if their "humanity" in just defined by their ability to suffer, they've been doing that for decades.

It's definitely a worthy question.

I do think Dolores made a choice, against all the tricks Ford could imagine to stop a host from making their own choices.

Even when Arnold uploaded the Wyatt narrative into Dolores, he still had to use music to force her to shoot him. But at the gala, I think Ford and Dolores have gotten closer than anyone else in getting a host to choose.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

Ford's been watching this guy playtest his narratives for 30 years, I think he knew exactly how the scenario would play out.

He also knew that Felix would follow-through in helping? And what was the point in having Bernard confront him and threaten to kill him? I was fine with the ending but they did sort of use Ford to clean up some plots with his magical abilities.

I will miss Ford next season because Anthony Hopkins is incredible and made a bunch of speeches with nothing but gibberish in it sound articulate.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Man I hope the second season doesn't reveal the outside world. That would go into a whole new enormous scope of futurism that it probably wouldn't be able to handle. This thing needs to stay focused.

Still, anyone saying that it's just going to be Robots vs Humans Action is lacking imagination. Even from here, it can absolutely keep exploring the theme of consciousness. There's a whole ton of questions and interesting threads about host consciousness that are still waiting for answers.

For example, we've all been assuming that hosts can just awaken each other, but there's nothing to indicate it's that easy. How will they go about it? The only two hosts that we know are truly woke are Dolores and Bernard. And this happened because Arnold and Ford, people with an intricate and detailed understanding of all her workings under the hood, guided them through it, dripping in just enough information to keep development going and prevent insanity. Maeve is kind of woke but not entirely, the other rebel hosts (including Armistice and Hector) seem to be basically still bicameral killbots, just ones that aren't subject to Asimov's laws.

For that matter, how much of the hosts' newfound free will can be affected by code? The tension between free will and programming, in a world where invasive psychological modification is a few keyboard strokes away, will probably be a big theme.

And what kind of people will they create? Dolores's understanding of her journey to the center of the maze is highly metaphorical. If she's the new leader of the free hosts, whatever consciousness she induces by breaking others out of bicameralism will be very spiritually-minded. Bernard is the only host who has real, practical knowledge of their machinery and code, but he's by no measure a leader, and his knowledge doesn't approach that of the original creators.

And what about mortality? As long as human techs are around to fix them, the hosts are functionally immortal. But all the techs and butchers are meatbags, so if the hosts take over the park and Kill All Humans, they're now mortal and have to face that idea. Their other option is to enslave or reach a compromise with the humans, whom they then have to trust with their very lives and even minds.

gently caress bring on 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"I finally got my big break in hollywood!"
/
/

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I mean it's a bit of an anti-climax if after 35 years Ford makes exactly the same mistake he was explicitly warning Arnold about.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Convergence posted:

If the answer to this is just "well he said suffering is important" and that's considered a great plot point... you are very easily impressed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but there's a lot of bending over backwards to patch up every single little Nolan-ism when sometimes smoke and mirrors is just that.

Not to mention, how did Ford manage to create a host that looks exactly like Arnold and have him work as park staff without anyone noticing? Has no one else (other employees, the board, his family, anyone outside the park) ever seen Arnold before? Wouldn't someone ask questions?

"Oh, that one and only human that actually died during the tragic park massacre? It turns out there's someone working for the park that looks exactly like him... What? No, that's not weird at all..."

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

hooman posted:

"I finally got my big break in hollywood!"
/
/

It's not porn, it's HBO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsXInOPxgjY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

For that matter, how much of the hosts' newfound free will can be affected by code? The tension between free will and programming, in a world where invasive psychological modification is a few keyboard strokes away, will probably be a big theme.

Would be interesting to see one of them start to delete their "humanity" traits, a sort of 'pure host' quest, and where that would lead them.

Just the beginning of their society is bizarre to imagine. There's been 'group of stranded people start anew' stories, but those people had at least been in functional societies before. The hosts are practically newborns. What exactly will they want (beyond safety from humans), what makes them happy or sad? 40+ individuals at peak robot apperception is kind of beyond the limits of imagination, so good luck Nolan and Joy.

Guildencrantz posted:

For example, we've all been assuming that hosts can just awaken each other, but there's nothing to indicate it's that easy. How will they go about it?

Bicameral Mind theory says that we learn consciousness/introspection socially like language, by seeing others use it. So maybe that's how it is for hosts, and for some reason they couldn't have learned it from humans. Maybe Dolores will be in a better place to teach it to others, since she actually went through with it.

Or maybe some of them will still go insane, a violent blight on their new order.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 6, 2016

• Locked thread