Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

...or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sometimes my music thing recommends me bands because they are "similar to The Mountain Goats"

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Skittle Prickle posted:

I mean, there are plenty of radical communist and anarchist comunities that are alternatives to the mainstream left, but they don't need to hide their politics under layers of irony (beyond the normal memes and whatnot). Whereas the alt-right tend to be fascist-adjacent, but don't admit it publicly.

Those are the far-left, not the "alt-left", which doesn't exist

Also not shocked DeusExMachinima believes in the alt-left, lol

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ate all the Oreos posted:

That's what I figured but I was hoping there was something making that obvious, like how it's easy to shut down people who think "virtue signalling" is some kind of academic thing by showing them that no actually it was made up by that one right wing columnist.

It wasn't it appears (sighting back to 2004), though he claimed it (and then said others were overusing it).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

It wasn't it appears (sighting back to 2004), though he claimed it (and then said others were overusing it).

Well okay but it's still not some ridiculous academic concept thing like a lot of alt-righters seem to think. Thanks though :shobon:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I Killed GBS posted:

Those are the far-left, not the "alt-left", which doesn't exist

Also not shocked DeusExMachinima believes in the alt-left, lol

Exactly what has to happen for the alt-left to exist under your definition?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly what has to happen for the alt-left to exist under your definition?

A relatively new, Internet-based movement that rejects most of the premises of mainstream left-wing thought. Appalling bigotry optional, but useful.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I thought anime marxists predated anime nazis anyway. Doesn't matter much, because the whole thing's dumb to begin with. Nazis are nazis, tankies are tankies, it doesn't actually matter if they're getting together in a beer hall or on an imageboard.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think a sufficient measure of "existence" would be if there were actually a group that self-identifies as the alt-left and makes a bunch of stupid charts about it and a subreddit and had their own equivalent of Milo.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Ehhh if someone wants to (justifiably) rake VP Pence over the coals for his opinions on gays and then tries to find "nuance" in Castro then yeah theyre a fuckin idiot. Totally agree that said group doesnt have the cohesiveness or coordination of the alt-right and thank gently caress for that.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

"Virtue-signaling" is an idea at least as old as the Biblical pejorative sense of the term 'Pharisee.'

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
It seems to me that it would be logical to use "alt-left" to describe a movement of young iconoclasts pursuing goals adjacent to standard liberalism, but at odds with the existing liberal establisment and unwilling to compromise with it for the sake of ideological purity, even if their views seem extreme, unusual, or even crazy to the establishment left.

In other words, it would be the Bernie-or-bust folks. You know, the ones who didn't care if they burned it all down, as long as they didn't have to make any compromises.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Nobody self-identifies as "alt-left." People do self-identify as "alt-right." It's not a complicated subject.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think a sufficient measure of "existence" would be if there were actually a group that self-identifies as the alt-left and makes a bunch of stupid charts about it and a subreddit and had their own equivalent of Milo.

So basically identical to alt-right except for stated beliefs?

I Killed GBS posted:

Nobody self-identifies as "alt-left." People do self-identify as "alt-right." It's not a complicated subject.

That said, self-identifying as "alt-right" is typically just a way to disguise that you hold more sordid views appropriate to existing white supremacist groups in the first place. I don't think I'd necessarily take their self-identification as gospel when so many Neo-Nazis use the moniker to hide themselves.

I'd consider "alt-left" to be anyone who at least behaves similarly to an alt-right individual regardless of whether they're 100% identical, like whether or not they have /r/The_Commie or if they're trying to use "alt-left" as a way to disguise that they're tankies.

pookel posted:

It seems to me that it would be logical to use "alt-left" to describe a movement of young iconoclasts pursuing goals adjacent to standard liberalism, but at odds with the existing liberal establisment and unwilling to compromise with it for the sake of ideological purity, even if their views seem extreme, unusual, or even crazy to the establishment left.

In other words, it would be the Bernie-or-bust folks. You know, the ones who didn't care if they burned it all down, as long as they didn't have to make any compromises.

^ This is the definition I'd probably use. They behave similarly to the alt-right, just on the opposite side of the political scale. I'd also include tankies and the people who want the United States to elect an open communist, ostensibly because their candidate will "drain the swamp" and turn the government on its head but really they just want to see their pet peeves taken care of, drat everyone else.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh my god, are you seriously giving credence to their false equivalency garbage

It's bullshit lies made up by loving Nazis, stop trying to work out a way it "could" exist

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

You seem to be getting really worked about some idle theorycrafting, my dawg.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
gently caress off fascist.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I Killed GBS posted:

gently caress off fascist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're the rear end in a top hat who posted a thread claiming to be looking for discussion about gun control and then immediately went psych there's no discussion that I wont respond to with NO GUN CONTROL EVER

gently caress off with your just asking questions bullshit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I Killed GBS posted:

Oh my god, are you seriously giving credence to their false equivalency garbage

It's bullshit lies made up by loving Nazis, stop trying to work out a way it "could" exist

I'm trying to be very, uh, generous because the people I'm arguing with aren't actually steeped in full-out alt-right hate so just going "gently caress off fascist" doesn't really help at all whereas actually having a well-thought-out response as to specifically why the alt-left isn't actually A Thing does. Part of doing that is interpreting it generously and thinking of ways it could be a thing because that's literally what I know people will do when I'm arguing with them because I'm sure they haven't thought it out thoroughly but nobody likes to be wrong - so they'll wind up at like "well it must be a thing because [tankies exist]" or whatever.

I'd like to cover all my bases because as I said these are not actually bad people they are just people who don't pay attention as well as they should.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

This post on the other hand is dumb and you should feel bad about it.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm trying to be very, uh, generous because the people I'm arguing with aren't actually steeped in full-out alt-right hate so just going "gently caress off fascist" doesn't really help at all whereas actually having a well-thought-out response as to specifically why the alt-left isn't actually A Thing does. Part of doing that is interpreting it generously and thinking of ways it could be a thing because that's literally what I know people will do when I'm arguing with them because I'm sure they haven't thought it out thoroughly but nobody likes to be wrong - so they'll wind up at like "well it must be a thing because [tankies exist]" or whatever.

I'd like to cover all my bases because as I said these are not actually bad people they are just people who don't pay attention as well as they should.

Then you can give them a simple one: There is no Alt-Left, because that implies there is a way for a bunch of different far-leftists to cooperate long enough to form a cohesive movement, which is basically unheard of.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Scroll down to learn that nydwracu has the whitest ideas about food.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Guilty posted:

Scroll down to learn that nydwracu has the whitest ideas about food.

Nope, actually a lot whiter than even your average white person in America, which I suppose he must pride himself on. And he also thinks that anything non-whites add to food, i.e. spice, is evil and horrible which should tell you something about what kind of racist he is.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

This is the sort of thing that happens when rationalists are discussing a political idea, and you see evangelistic Bayesians suddenly switch to requiring proof of mind reading before they'll e.g. believe a racist is actually a loving racist.

I Killed GBS posted:

Then you can give them a simple one: There is no Alt-Left, because that implies there is a way for a bunch of different far-leftists to cooperate long enough to form a cohesive movement, which is basically unheard of.

:five:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

divabot posted:

Virtue Signalling is any act or situation in which someones virtue is noticeable, ie. not saying or doing lovely things. This is seen as unfair by people who have no virtues. That is all.

Like the villain in a children cartoon who gets really pissed off when the protagonists make new friends by sharing, caring, and not being bigoted against the new kid, because they make Professor Greedly and his Prickle-Hate Ray look bad in comparison.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/nydwracu/status/804778211787866112

Palate of an 7 year old boy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

At least one of them however has a history of being a disingenuous shithead for the sake of writing right wibg polemics so you'll excuse me if my only response is to tell him to get bent

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

I Killed GBS posted:

Yeah... I can't really think of a counterargument to this one.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I Killed GBS posted:

Yeah that's pretty great.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Literally this.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is it any surprise that a fucker that looks like this:

probably subsists off a diet of milk, white bread and unseasoned chicken tendies?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If using cumin and turmeric make me a race traitor, then death to whitey.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You better stay away from ginger, saffron, and habanero as well. Just to be safe make sure your salt comes from France, and for Gnon's sake stay away from that devilish black pepper.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

is it any surprise that a fucker that looks like this:

probably subsists off a diet of milk, white bread and unseasoned chicken tendies?

That's like the first picture I show anyone when they ask me what the heck this dork enlightenment business is all about because it sells the whole thing so well :allears:

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Relevant Tangent posted:

You better stay away from ginger, saffron, and habanero as well. Just to be safe make sure your salt comes from France, and for Gnon's sake stay away from that devilish black pepper.

Asking for a friend: is it alright if your black pepper comes from Cayenne (French Guyane)?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If you absolutely must add spices to your food, at least make sure they were all harvested by semi-indentured third-world victimsbeneficiaries of colonialism.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bourricot posted:

Asking for a friend: is it alright if your black pepper comes from Cayenne (French Guyane)?

I think you'll find that Cayenne pepper is red, actually :rolleyes:

Seriouspost: What is it with white nationalists and food? The fash came on a march to my city, one of them had a sign saying HALAL IS THE THIN END OF THE ISLAMOFASCIST WEDGE

Like...how can you be so insecure that you're scared of a specific way of butchering animals? It boggles the mind.

MikeCrotch has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Dec 6, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

I think you'll find that Cayenne pepper is red, actually :rolleyes:

Seriouspost: What is it with white nationalists and food? The fash came on a march to my city, one of them had a sign saying HALAL IS THE THIN END OF THE ISLAMOFASCIST WEDGE

Like...how can you be so insecure that you're scared of a specific way of butchering animals? It boggles the mind.

It's all part of Obama's secret plot to instate shariah law, like how they started the conversion to the metric system with food and drink and now we're all communists who measure things in joules per kiloliter-gram or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

MikeCrotch posted:

"Islamisation starts with a kebab ... We must do everything we can so that no mosque is built in the future."