Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

You know...those baseball uniforms from the next episode kind of remind me of something...

Shave your drat sideburns Yamcha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rhonne posted:

You know...those baseball uniforms from the next episode kind of remind me of something...

wait

There we go.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

StrifeHira posted:

wait

There we go.

If The episode doesn't end with the DBZ heroes set up in a pic like this I will be livid.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

gohan took up his grandfather's mantle as the legendary super scientist saiyantist

I love the idea of a combat scientist, rigorously testing the limits of fighting using the scientific method and trying to invent new ways to beat people harder or more efficiently, along with inventing things to help you beat people up better. Like the scanner Freeza's men all used.

Just a guy, in a lab coat and specs, working out in his gym-cum-lab all day, beating up training dummies as scientifically as he can.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhonne posted:

Blockhouse posted:

well lord beerus had done it

universe 7 had won it

with son goku clucking all the while

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

OB_Juan posted:

This will be a fantastic episode of DBSA in the year 2525 when they get to it.

If man is still alive.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spidder posted:

Not arguing against the idea of an english dub. just against the idea of an english dub that changes things for the worst, and for no good reason.

They could have made a good dub is what I'm saying.

They went back and reworked the script, for what it's worth. When Funimation first got their hands on DBZ, it was a lot of "oh poo poo how do we do this???" and appropriately, the voice actors tended to be local to the Dallas-Fort Worth area if I remember correctly. In order to match lip flaps they would throw in extra poo poo, or change a sentence in order to "sound cooler" because that's just what dubbing companies did. People should appreciate that Funimation ever went back and re-recorded everything, since plenty of companies wouldn't have bothered.

When I see people complain about the English DBZ, it kinda irritates me since the show arrived in the west at an odd spot in time. Anime was starting to boom, companies were going apeshit about getting their hands on franchises and didn't really stop to think about how to handle the localization. Funimation was not the only company guilty of this, nor were they the worst offenders. People bitching about English DBZ would literally die if it got the US Pokemon or Digimon treatment.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

They went back and reworked the script, for what it's worth. When Funimation first got their hands on DBZ, it was a lot of "oh poo poo how do we do this???" and appropriately, the voice actors tended to be local to the Dallas-Fort Worth area if I remember correctly. In order to match lip flaps they would throw in extra poo poo, or change a sentence in order to "sound cooler" because that's just what dubbing companies did. People should appreciate that Funimation ever went back and re-recorded everything, since plenty of companies wouldn't have bothered.

When I see people complain about the English DBZ, it kinda irritates me since the show arrived in the west at an odd spot in time. Anime was starting to boom, companies were going apeshit about getting their hands on franchises and didn't really stop to think about how to handle the localization. Funimation was not the only company guilty of this, nor were they the worst offenders. People bitching about English DBZ would literally die if it got the US Pokemon or Digimon treatment.

Digimon wasn't the worst thing in the world. The Digimon season 1 dub anyways. They kept all of the original names for the human cast and even flat out made it a plot point that they were Japanese and they were in Japan. And yes that's a point of praise because holy poo poo no other localized show did that.

It even fixed a glaring plot hole in the original version, and a lot of the voices sound more appropriate in English than they do in Japanese in my opinion, notably the Digimon evolutions. You think Granny Goku sounds bad, try hearing a super buff arch angel dude sound like a little girl. Or just Agumon and his entire line goddamn.

It had some problems but most of that was either early shakiness you're going to get out of a show like this that cleared up by the time they defeated Etemon, or the stuff that reared its head at the very, VERY last episode. Where to combat the fact that the main villain was about the least child friendly villain ever, they just made him totally insane and a manic depressive who ranted about pizza in between his existential angst.

It was also shockingly uncensored for the most part. The final villain maiming himself was cut for the most part, but there was a poo poo ton of other things left untouched that even DBZ didn't get away with after Funimation took over.

People smoking, major characters dying, how nasty some of those deaths were, the whole 666 poo poo with Myotismon and him feasting on young women at night.

Digimon is about as good a localization as you can get in the late 90s ultra sensitive kids cartoon scene.

Shame about the music

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh, you're not wrong. The original dub was not great but it could have been a lot worse and they've given us better a couple of times over.

It still ended up being kind of weird though. Like, Dragonball Z was still using a wonky script and bruce faulconer music around the time Funimation was transitioning to more "faithful" dubs like FMA and Yu Yu Hakusho, so you just had this weird whiplash going where you turn on DBZ and there's this constantly playing casio keyboard music while people are talking about "the other world" a lot.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I have a love/hate thing for Bruce Faulconer's music. The only gripe I had was that it's like they directed him that no scene had no dead air at all or silence and you would have these weird mash up cuts etc.

But yeah I"m fine with the dub and I'm glad someone like 4kids never got their hands on it.

Granted I will always like Ocean for giving us HFIL.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I give Bruce Faulconer credit for Vegeta's theme.

That's the entirety of my list.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shindragon posted:

I have a love/hate thing for Bruce Faulconer's music. The only gripe I had was that it's like they directed him that no scene had no dead air at all or silence and you would have these weird mash up cuts etc.

that's exactly what they did

90's execs were very worried that kids would get bored if there was not constant sound happening every second

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

since gohan doesn't have a last name did he take videl's

is his name Gohan Satan

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shindragon posted:

But yeah I"m fine with the dub and I'm glad someone like 4kids never got their hands on it.

Granted I will always like Ocean for giving us HFIL.

Goku's speech after turning Super Saiyan is also a dub thing and it owns hard.

The dubs did a lot of good work.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hjalmar posted:

since gohan doesn't have a last name did he take videl's

is his name Gohan Satan

His last name is Son.

So Pan is Son Pan Satan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goku's speech after turning Super Saiyan is also a dub thing and it owns hard.

The dubs did a lot of good work.

Which one do you mean? Because the only one I can think of (the one DBZA made fun of with the whole "I am darkness that flaps in the night" thing) is in the manga.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Which one do you mean? Because the only one I can think of (the one DBZA made fun of with the whole "I am darkness that flaps in the night" thing) is in the manga.

Wait the whole ally of good nightmare to you speech is in the manga? Then why are weeboo so butt hurt about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait the whole ally of good knightmare to you is in the manga? Then why are weeboo so butt hurt about it.

The exact wording is different but yeah:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait the whole ally of good nightmare to you speech is in the manga? Then why are weeboo so butt hurt about it.
Uh because clearly they're not allies to good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You want the Kai dub if you want anything close to what was said in the manga.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah if you arent an ally to justice.

The Kai dub line is so boring and really weakens the impact.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

The exact wording is different but yeah:

the wording isn't remotely similar, and while still dumb and cheesy it's a dumb and cheesy that fits instead of goku suddenly deciding he's low rent superman in more than just origin

Funky Valentine posted:

His last name is Son.

So Pan is Son Pan Satan.

Satan isn't his last name, it's his stage name, and his name is just Mark. Toriyama's made it explicit that having a last name is considered weird and old-fashioned on dragonball earth.

characters with actual surnames:

- Goku's family
- Everyone in penguin village
- Gohan's teacher
- An Azuki and that government agent guy from Jaco

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 6, 2016

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The entire Briefs family.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goku is a low rent superman.

He is a shonen hero after all, which is just superheroes but with japanize trappings.

You can flip this around if you want it doesn't matter.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Vegeta's family name is Vegeta, he just doesn't have his own name to go with it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

his name is vegeta vegeta, son of king vegeta vegeta, prince of the planet vegeta

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
His first name is Prince.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Dias posted:

His first name is Prince.

Rather the saiyan formerly known as

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm pretty sure the Saiyans don't have family names. They're all incubated in vats and are kinda apathetically aware of who their parents and siblings are, except for the Royals I guess.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

Even then, weeaboos have an impossibly high standard toward english dubs to begin with. I think the only dub they can collectively agree upon was good is cowboy bebop.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goku is a low rent superman.

He is a shonen hero after all, which is just superheroes but with japanize trappings.

You can flip this around if you want it doesn't matter.

My favorite comic super hero is Gandalf.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm pretty sure the Saiyans don't have family names. They're all incubated in vats and are kinda apathetically aware of who their parents and siblings are, except for the Royals I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzrE1K0FGLw

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Shinjobi posted:

I give Bruce Faulconer credit for Vegeta's theme.

That's the entirety of my list.

I refuse to believe a version of the show without Cell's theme exists. The Super Saiyan 3 Goku one too.

Also, on the topic of added speeches, I have always really liked the one Goku gave to Vegeta when he was trying to fuse with him. The Japanese version really doesn't seem that good, why would Vegeta be swayed by "Krillin is also dead"?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Burkion posted:

Digimon wasn't the worst thing in the world. The Digimon season 1 dub anyways. They kept all of the original names for the human cast and even flat out made it a plot point that they were Japanese and they were in Japan. And yes that's a point of praise because holy poo poo no other localized show did that.

No they loving didn't. They either shortened their names to sound more western (Taichi to Tai), or outright changed them (Matt, TK). Also, while they were clearly in Tokyo they never said it outright and dodged around the question that they were Japanese.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Neo_Crimson posted:

No they loving didn't. They either shortened their names to sound more western (Taichi to Tai), or outright changed them (Matt, TK). Also, while they were clearly in Tokyo they never said it outright and dodged around the question that they were Japanese.

I mean all the names are at least just shortenings of the japanese names
Taichi = Tai
Yamato = Matt
Takeru = T K
Hikari = Kari.

Ita much more faithful than Kasumi and Takeshi becoming Misty amd Brock for instance.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spidder posted:

If you prefer the constipated, 'cartoon tough guy' voices and the droning, incessant synth music of the US dub to the japanese audio there's something seriously wrong with you.

If only funimation had done some kind of updated dub for a new version of the show or something, which stays faithful to the tone and intent of the manga and cuts down on filler. Gee that sure would be something.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

Even then, weeaboos have an impossibly high standard toward english dubs to begin with. I think the only dub they can collectively agree upon was good is cowboy bebop.

The FMA dubs seem to have pretty consistent praise from people.

Which it should, since it's really good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Digimon dub is a national treasure and its honor must never be questioned.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't like the JP version because 3/4ths of the cast sound like a bunch of feral cats fighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Digimon dub hosed me up now that Tri is coming out, every new movie I go "what the gently caress is a Yamato again?".

• Locked thread