Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, so I've played with DirecTV Now for a few hours last night and today, and I have to say, I enjoy it the best out of Sling/Vue/DTV. The UI is the best out of the three for me. I tested it on the AppleTV and the 1st gen FireTV. The UI is pretty much the same on both of those devices. A few initial pros/cons:

Pros:
Interface is fast to switch and load channels. I have 12Mb internet, and it loaded smoothly and relatively quickly most of the time, almost on par with satellite.
Plenty of channels in the Go BIg package, and HBO integrates nicely in the guide.
Lots of things for the kids to watch.
Swiping between channels and accessing the guide makes sense for the most part. Would be a nice plus if there was a dedicated guide button on the remote.
Getting a free Apple TV for less than the price of three months of service is pretty great.
The guide resembles a traditional guide from satellite TV, and is the best out of the three for me.

Cons:
Some channels are weirdly letterboxed, like CNBC World and a couple of the Nickelodeon channels. Haven't tried all channels yet.
Can't add some shows to the Watchlist for some reason.
No DVR.
No live TV where I live, but I use an antenna and Tivo anyway.
FireTV had a few hitches with no audio, so I had to reboot.
No NFL network or Redzone.
Does not appear to work on my Chromebook.

I'm debating whether or not to add Cinemax as well, but from what I remember, it was mostly the same movies as HBO except for the Skinemax stuff.

Your experience was better than mine I guess. There definitely should be a dedicate guide button on the FTV remote..navigating the UI, while easy for me was a pain for my 8 year old. She would have figured it out eventually, but there is like 3 too many steps involved. Channels all seemed to load quickly, but almost every channel would inevitably stop after a minute or two and I would get the connecting box spinning in the center of the screen and it would never go away. Changing the channel and going back fixed it though. I have 300mbps internet speeds, initial connections were quick so the drops have to be something else with the service. Those letterboxed channels are basically non-HD or internet based streams. There were I think 5 channels I viewed that were clearly that channels web site based stream (golf channel for instance) where the bitrate seemed to fluctuate more often than not. The rest of the stuff I could have lived with though. IMO not worth it, at least for me right now.

Also the guy that said there were 5-6 HBO channels + the spanish one? what? I had HBO East, Family and HBO East Spanish. Hardly the same line up of 6 HBO channels i get on cable service for $10 a month right now. The one good thing that came of this was TWC was threatened with losing a customer and they gave me better service for much cheaper. It's about ~10 more a month than what DTNow + my internet would have cost me, but whatever easy of use for kids and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DTV Now just screams "rushed to market" to me.

It's been OK, and if I only had Sling to compare it to I'd probably have a more favorable view of it. I'm going to end up keeping PSVue.

That being said, I suppose $120 (Go Big promo + HBO) for an Apple TV isn't a bad thing to walk out of this with. I can always set it up on the bedroom TV.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

thebushcommander posted:

Your experience was better than mine I guess. There definitely should be a dedicate guide button on the FTV remote..navigating the UI, while easy for me was a pain for my 8 year old. She would have figured it out eventually, but there is like 3 too many steps involved. Channels all seemed to load quickly, but almost every channel would inevitably stop after a minute or two and I would get the connecting box spinning in the center of the screen and it would never go away. Changing the channel and going back fixed it though. I have 300mbps internet speeds, initial connections were quick so the drops have to be something else with the service. Those letterboxed channels are basically non-HD or internet based streams. There were I think 5 channels I viewed that were clearly that channels web site based stream (golf channel for instance) where the bitrate seemed to fluctuate more often than not. The rest of the stuff I could have lived with though. IMO not worth it, at least for me right now.

Also the guy that said there were 5-6 HBO channels + the spanish one? what? I had HBO East, Family and HBO East Spanish. Hardly the same line up of 6 HBO channels i get on cable service for $10 a month right now. The one good thing that came of this was TWC was threatened with losing a customer and they gave me better service for much cheaper. It's about ~10 more a month than what DTNow + my internet would have cost me, but whatever easy of use for kids and poo poo.

I don't have it running on my primary TV yet so went back to check and you're right, it looks like 3 HBO channels, not 6 (Comedy and another at least are missing from what I get on DTV). Which puts it about the same as what you get with Sling and Vue and (I think? Don't use it) is basically HBO Now. However it is a $15 addon with all of those, including Now direct from HBO, so being a $5 addon still makes it a really good deal. Sure, if you can get a discount rate of $10 from your cable provider that's good too, but threatening to cancel every year is a kind of ridiculous thing to have to do to get it.

As for your streaming problems, I haven't had many. Most channels look very good to me, there are some SD ones here and there but overall streams work well and change quickly. It's slow to do so on my FTV 1, so the device plays some role in this, but in the end I suspect it has more to do with where they've rolled out the service, what local caching looks like, etc.

It's worth noting that I have AT&T Gigapower internet service, so I guess it is possible it works best on it right now, not simply for speed reasons but because it's their network and I imagine they have deployed infrastructure where they need to support it already. Hopefully for others it gets better over time as they roll out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just got the shipping notification for my Apple TV from DirecTV Now :toot:

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
I've just signed up for DirecTV Now. Thank you, esteemed Goons for letting me know it existed because f*** cable companies.

That said, I do have a question. I have two TVs (and two cable boxes) at home. I know I can use an HDMI cable splitter to connect them to a single Apple TV but I (and especially my wife who has literally zero faith in my handyman skills - and for a good reason) would like to avoid making holes in walls. What's the alternative? I already checked and there is no DirecTV app in the Samsung app store. Could I buy another AppleTV (in addition to the free one the deal) and use that in the other room?

Thank you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Unexpected posted:

I've just signed up for DirecTV Now. Thank you, esteemed Goons for letting me know it existed because f*** cable companies.

That said, I do have a question. I have two TVs (and two cable boxes) at home. I know I can use an HDMI cable splitter to connect them to a single Apple TV but I (and especially my wife who has literally zero faith in my handyman skills - and for a good reason) would like to avoid making holes in walls. What's the alternative? I already checked and there is no DirecTV app in the Samsung app store. Could I buy another AppleTV (in addition to the free one the deal) and use that in the other room?

Thank you.

Get a Fire Stick for the other room, way cheaper.

Personally I don't understand why anyone would get an Apple TV, but then again I don't understand why people wouldn't have Amazon Prime... It has seriously saved me so much time, money, and effort over the years that it's paid itself off ten times over. There's a staggering amount of free stuff you can watch on Amazon Video if you have Prime, and Prime Pantry is actually cheaper than going to Costco and way more apartment friendly.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Unexpected posted:

Yes you're really sticking it to them by subscribing to AT&T :rolleyes:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Personally I don't understand why anyone would get an Apple TV

Superior video quality and a UI that doesn't look like rear end.

Unexpected posted:

Thank you.

I'd recommend a second device as well, but DON'T get a FireStick for DTVNow. There's a lot of complaining online of the service being laggy and crappy on one of those.

If you're going to get one, the consensus seems to be the 4K FireTV or the AppleTV 4. If you already did your account, it's probably too late to get the AppleTV deal, but you can get the 4K FireTV for $89 from Amazon.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.

blugu64 posted:

Yes you're really sticking it to them by subscribing to AT&T :rolleyes:
Provider's name is irrelevant as brand loyalty is - for the most part in my case - dead. I'm happy that it finally introduces a form of real competition. Right now I can only get Optimum cable, dish (I'm not allowed to install on my building) or Hulu/etc., which - while neat - is not sufficient. This is the first time I can pick a service that I'm completely happy with and it's going to save me $100 per month, without having to pay for tens or hundreds of channels I've never even flipped to.

flosofl posted:

If you're going to get one, the consensus seems to be the 4K FireTV or the AppleTV 4. If you already did your account, it's probably too late to get the AppleTV deal, but you can get the 4K FireTV for $89 from Amazon.
I actually did get the DirecTV Now + Apple TV deal (waiting for it to arrive in mail). I'll play around with it a bit and will buy another Apple TV for the second TV if everything works out fine.

Thanks again, Goons.

Unexpected fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 6, 2016

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Unexpected posted:

I actually did get the DirecTV Now + Apple TV deal (waiting for it to arrive in mail). I'll play around with it a bit and will buy another Apple TV for the second TV if everything works out fine.
Good plan. There's a lot of peace and harmony in homes that have only one UI on all of their TVs. You'd probably be happier with the ATV.

Fuzz posted:

Personally I don't understand why anyone would get an Apple TV, but then again I don't understand why people wouldn't have Amazon Prime.
I'm a nerd who loves tinkering around. If I didn't have my pop's AT&T login for my cable apps I'd be all over the DTVNow and ATV deal.

The way I see the main devices are

Roku: No Kodi
Amazon Fire: UI sucks but that's being fixed as we speak. Might be the best one depending on how that turns out.
ATV: No Amazon
Chromecast: Duno, need to get one to gently caress around with it.
Shield: For nerds with way more cash than me

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 6, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

flosofl posted:

You can still get the ATV4 deal even if you signed up under a trial.

https://twitter.com/directvnow/status/804004866167291905

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Got my ATV4 setup with DTV Now today. I'm wholly impressed. Swiping to change channels emulates channel surfing really well. I'll still pair up my Harmony 700, but I guess I can bind the channel up/down buttons to swipe left and right. Good poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

Got my ATV4 setup with DTV Now today. I'm wholly impressed. Swiping to change channels emulates channel surfing really well. I'll still pair up my Harmony 700, but I guess I can bind the channel up/down buttons to swipe left and right. Good poo poo.

Let me know if you figure it out. I have a Hub with the Harmony Companion, and I still haven't figured out how to map a swipe command to anything. I don't think Harmony can do those yet.

With most apps, it's not so much an issue since the vast majority are designed to work with the swipe remote and the older Apple remotes. DTV Now looks to only process swipe actions for the up/down and left/right triggers.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I've been off work today...streaming DTVNow since like 7am.

Not one single issue, hiccup, nothing. You couldn't convince anyone this isn't actual cable.

Now, how fast will I hit my 1tb Comcast cap? We're on our way to finding out!

Edit. Lol minutes after posting this, it's freezing like a motherfucker. Rush hour I guess or :tinfoil:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 7, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hotsauce posted:

Not one single issue, hiccup, nothing. You couldn't convince anyone this isn't actual cable.

Fortunately, you get two months of grace for going over the cap, that will give you a better handle on whether to pay the overage when it happens ($10/50GB) or whether to add on the unlimited package for $50/month.

I've been using Vue exclusively for TV over the last few months. Between that and Netflix I think I maxed out last month at 770GB. The real test will be when all the College Bowl games kick off for me :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Edit. Lol minutes after posting this, it's freezing like a motherfucker. Rush hour I guess or :tinfoil:

Yeah, I was streaming fine about half hour ago, but I guess everyone is home now and DTV getting hammered lmao. Lots of freezing atm. I'll try hardwiring it tomorrow night to see if that makes a difference.

flosofl posted:

Let me know if you figure it out. I have a Hub with the Harmony Companion, and I still haven't figured out how to map a swipe command to anything. I don't think Harmony can do those yet.

With most apps, it's not so much an issue since the vast majority are designed to work with the swipe remote and the older Apple remotes. DTV Now looks to only process swipe actions for the up/down and left/right triggers.

I was assuming the left/right direction button would be akin to swipe left/right. I'll try it out later.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought the Go Big package had an option of 4KFTV or ATV free with 3 month commitment, but I'm seeing ATV with 3 month prepay or a FTV Stick for 1 month prepay. I don't have any other Apple products so I'm not in a big hurry to get into that ecosystem, but it sounds like the Stick won't offer a decent user experience. I don't have any particular problem with Apple stuff so maybe I'll go that route.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

teagone posted:

teagone posted:

Yeah, I was streaming fine about half hour ago, but I guess everyone is home now and DTV getting hammered lmao. Lots of freezing atm. I'll try hardwiring it tomorrow night to see if that makes a difference.

I was assuming the left/right direction button would be akin to swipe left/right. I'll try it out later.

It should. I just programmed my Harmony One to use an Apple TV, and it mapped automatically. I'm pretty sure left/right has the same effect.

Inspector 34 posted:

I thought the Go Big package had an option of 4KFTV or ATV free with 3 month commitment, but I'm seeing ATV with 3 month prepay or a FTV Stick for 1 month prepay. I don't have any other Apple products so I'm not in a big hurry to get into that ecosystem, but it sounds like the Stick won't offer a decent user experience. I don't have any particular problem with Apple stuff so maybe I'll go that route.

No, it's just the Fire TV stick with 1 month or Apple TV with 3 months prepaid. So far, the Apple TV is pretty nice. I think I like the Shield more, but the Apple TV definitely worth free.99

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silly Burrito posted:

It should. I just programmed my Harmony One to use an Apple TV, and it mapped automatically. I'm pretty sure left/right has the same effect.

While I can't replicate swipes using my Harmony Hub+Companion Remote, it's still usable. I can pull up the Guide using Menu and select it from there. No left and right swipe reproduction either. Or up swipe to pull up the main screen.

I'm still not super happy with DTV Now, but they have three months to iron out the issues. And I still have my Vue subscription to fall back on if it becomes unusable (which it does at times).

Is anyone else having an issue where the volume is much higher with the DTV App than anything else? I notice a huge difference between it and Netflix. It may be just the difference between DTV being 2 channels for live TV and Netflix giving me 5.1 sound.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Must have just misunderstood since a lot of people were recommending the 4kFTV over the Stick. Oh well, ATV is on the way I guess.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

flosofl posted:

While I can't replicate swipes using my Harmony Hub+Companion Remote, it's still usable. I can pull up the Guide using Menu and select it from there. No left and right swipe reproduction either. Or up swipe to pull up the main screen.

Try this. Press the Ok button while watching TV(assuming a default config). Then press left or right. It emulates a left or right swipe for me.

I also have a menu button on the main screen that pulls up the menu. I also have a home button that takes me back to the main Apple TV grid. Not exactly the same as the default remote, but usable.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 7, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Must have just misunderstood since a lot of people were recommending the 4kFTV over the Stick. Oh well, ATV is on the way I guess.

There's a number of people who are more invested in the Amazon ecosystem who are getting the ATV but then selling it and buying a FTV instead.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FCKGW posted:

There's a number of people who are more invested in the Amazon ecosystem who are getting the ATV but then selling it and buying a FTV instead.

Of all the ecosystems to invest in...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I was tempted to do this but then it was easier to just get the FTV and gift it to my sister.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Is it feasible to stream HD / UHD content via Roku over wifi (e.g., without repeated buffering)? If yes, is there a baseline router throughput I should be looking for? It would be a for a home environment where multiple concurrent streams are unlikely; just wondering whether this is a situation where the answer, in practical terms, is "maybe, but it would be spotty so you really need to run some ethernet cable".

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I was streaming HD over wifi on a Roku 2 with a $40 Linksys router and a 5mbps internet connection (in the snow, uphill both ways :corsair:) four or so years ago with no problems, so I imagine so (for 1080p at least).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Unless the Roku has serious wifi issues, it should be fine. All of my streamers are wireless and I stream UHD without issue from my TV, Chromecast Ultra, and Nvidia Shield.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Annual Prophet posted:

Is it feasible to stream HD / UHD content via Roku over wifi (e.g., without repeated buffering)? If yes, is there a baseline router throughput I should be looking for? It would be a for a home environment where multiple concurrent streams are unlikely; just wondering whether this is a situation where the answer, in practical terms, is "maybe, but it would be spotty so you really need to run some ethernet cable".

The current line pretty much all support wireless AC which can do 5GHz which is more than adequate. Just get a router that can broadcast it, though Wireless N might cut it.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 7, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

N is fine, that's all I have and it doesn't miss a beat.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

You can still get the ATV4 deal even if you signed up under a trial.

https://twitter.com/directvnow/status/804004866167291905

To follow up on this, you can't do it from the same account. You need to sign up again from a new email address.

Been a customer of DirectTV for 16 years and just left to go to ... DirecTV.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

N is fine, that's all I have and it doesn't miss a beat.

Yea, my living room's One True Box is an X-Bone that only supports up to 5ghz N. Direct plays all my HD media, including un-hosed-with HDTV .TS files with no problem. I'd be surprised if streaming UHD gave it any trouble.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

OK many thanks everyone! This should make my configuration much simpler.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Ixian posted:

As for casting, probably Chromecast still, assuming they haven't come up with a way to block casting MLB.tv, etc. from browsers like they do with phones. Kind of a clunky way to do it.

I've read that Chromecast is laggy while receiving casts from tabs/mirroring. Anyone have experience doing this? I'm thinking about a Shield TV too (if I can find a place to buy one), any Shield TV owners cast tabs with HD video?

quote:

MLB.tv and NFL Game pass both have native FTV apps though through Amazon, do the browser-based versions offer more content or something? If not it would make more sense just to use those, then you don't need to deal with casting poo poo.

The only way I can get Game Pass to work live is with a Brazilian VPN and an international account, so I run it in Windows. I tried the NFL Plex channel from the VPN'd machine without success. I'll probably end up using adfreetime or something similar for MLB, but last year I had problems with DNS services and MLB, so I'm preparing for the worst.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Trillest Parrot posted:

I've read that Chromecast is laggy while receiving casts from tabs/mirroring. Anyone have experience doing this? I'm thinking about a Shield TV too (if I can find a place to buy one), any Shield TV owners cast tabs with HD video?

The only way I can get Game Pass to work live is with a Brazilian VPN and an international account, so I run it in Windows. I tried the NFL Plex channel from the VPN'd machine without success. I'll probably end up using adfreetime or something similar for MLB, but last year I had problems with DNS services and MLB, so I'm preparing for the worst.

I use adfreetime for both NFL and NHL with no issues.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tab casting is trash and should only be used as a last resort. If your long term plan is "I'll just tab cast [X streaming site]" you're better off using a device that actually supports the content you want.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What's the best (ideally) PC based solution for recording OTA broadcast TV on a schedule? This would be to hoard TV appearances on various news programs locally broadcast.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Windows Media center if using 7 or 8

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DTV Now has been flawless tonight. Hope they keep scaling.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

photomikey posted:

What's the best (ideally) PC based solution for recording OTA broadcast TV on a schedule? This would be to hoard TV appearances on various news programs locally broadcast.

WMC is still very good, but it's dying out and you need Windows 7 or 8 as Don Lapre points out.

For ongoing OTA DVR support that is actually quite good, try Emby Server. Plex has a DVR option too but it's not nearly as polished (and hasn't been updated in a while) whereas DVR with Emby is an ongoing thing that keeps improving.

You'll need an HDHR Extend. Put that somewhere on your network where both the Emby server can see it and antenna placement is ideal. Yes, this can sometimes be a little tricky but that's the case with any OTA solution.

Emby Server runs on a large variety of platforms including Windows, though many people stick it on a dedicated NAS with their media. It's primary use case is to serve local media, and it does a fine job at that, but you could use it as an OTA only solution if you wanted.

The guide is very good and can pull data from Schedules Direct (best) and XML TV (free). Also it looks good and has station logo support. You'll need an Emby client that supports it, which right now is available on Android (including TV) iOS, and Amazon. There are also Apple TV and Kodi clients however neither of them support Live TV yet. I believe the web apps for the XBone and PS4 do support it if you are in to that.

You can also use the standard HDHR app to get live TV directly on many devices, but I found its UX/guide to be fairly poor, overall. Perhaps it has improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone using an HDHomeRun with an AppleTV? Thinking of picking one up to supplement the DirectvNow service.