Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Christine Taubira : most hated woman by the right on the left, also target of really dumb racism and passed the gay marriage law as Justice minister. It’s like a super nova of racial hatred and gayhating around her. Probably too smart to waste her time in the primary this year.

As much as I hate all career politicians on the spectrum, I have to admit I respect Christiane Taubira on several levels. She's the only Justice minister in recent memory (at least mine) who argued that more cells in prisons and longer jail sentences weren't indicative of a good justice system, even though she did end up having to create more cells in the end. She's also incredibly intelligent, writes very well, and she quotes Frantz Fanon on a regular basis. I don't know what she's doing next to those PS idiots.

Shame her face is going to be remembered mostly for having been pasted next to a monkey's on a FN facebook page because she wanted marriage equality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yeah good stuff toplowtech,and holy poo poo I actually briefly met taubira like a decade ago.she's struck me as a very bright person.does she has any chance at all in the next cycle?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

What did the ban on wood heating actually do? Like "no starting a fire in your fireplace for ambience" or "old whole home furnaces need to be upgraded to newer wood furnaces that reduce emissions or switched to other means of fuel"?

Within Paris itself, fireplace fires were forbidden altogether. In the rest of the region, the ban was only on open fires -- inserts were allowed.

For context, according to the air quality monitoring organization for the area (AIRPARIF), wood heating was responsible for 7% of the pollution in the region, a value roughly comparable to traffic (8%).

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

does she has any chance at all in the next cycle?

Not likely. I think everyone associated with Hollande is tainted, even if she bailed out months ago (still rather late, in my opinion). Pretty sure Valls hates her, as well. She'd be smarter to sit things out and see what can be done to rebuild from the ruins after next year's disaster of an election.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm liking these write-ups a lot, Toplowtech. In recent years my interest in French politics has increased, especially as I've become more familiar with the French language. So keep them coming.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I wish she'd run in the primary and defeat Valls soundly.

EDIT and while I'm fantasizing: then she'd come to an arrangement with Mélenchon and join him in exchange for the post of Prime Minister.

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 6, 2016

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Bernard Cazeneuve is the new French Prime Minister. Welp.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
looks like a bunch of winners

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
With Renzi and Hollande on their way out, who is going to be the leader of the European Left? By size the next biggest country led by someone from the Left is Tsipras, but he is a broken man so does the mantle pass on to this guy?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GaussianCopula posted:

With Renzi and Hollande on their way out, who is going to be the leader of the European Left? By size the next biggest country led by someone from the Left is Tsipras, but he is a broken man so does the mantle pass on to this guy?

The SocDem are currently polling a distant second after the market liberal ANO, so Bohuslav Sobotka may not be long for this world.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You say market liberal but really it's just populist. They call themselves an "apartisan movement" and they have more in common with M5S than liberals. And they are polling far better than the social democrats too.

There's never any hope (except Austria maybe).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Bernard Cazeneuve is the new French Prime Minister. Welp.
Well because he was Cahuzac's replacement at the Budget , for half second i read it as "Cahuzac is the new prime minister". Then my brain stopped farting and i realized yeah it's R2D2 who is the new prime minister. Now i want to see the cabinet and how the selection interact with the primary.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Private Speech posted:

You say market liberal but really it's just populist. They call themselves an "apartisan movement" and they have more in common with M5S than liberals. And they are polling far better than the social democrats too.

There's never any hope (except Austria maybe).

All it shows is that the far right just need to wrap up their racism, xenophobia and autocratic tendencies in more subtle language, in order to stop people getting out to vote against them. That he came so close to winning is terrifying in itself.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toplowtech posted:

Now i want to see the cabinet and how the selection interact with the primary.

Looks like the only real change in the cabinet is the nomination of Bruno Le Roux as Interior minister. He was the leader of the PS parliamentary group in the Assemblée nationale (and apparently a little upset not to be rewarded for his service with a cabinet position, awww). Other than that, two minor cabinet ministers exchanged their respective portfolios.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

Corbyn? And as for Hollande and Renzi, Hollande was basically a lame duck from day 1, and Renzi's not really a leftist

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Dunno if anyone's posted this yet, but apparently Renzi's not resigning yet. Mattarella (President of the Republic) convinced him to wait until the government passes this year's tax and spending law (which must be done before the end of the year), and then Renzi'll resign.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

icantfindaname posted:

Corbyn? And as for Hollande and Renzi, Hollande was basically a lame duck from day 1, and Renzi's not really a leftist

Corbyn? I don't think a opposition politician in a country that is going to leave the EU is fit to be the leader of the European left.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sigmar Gabriel?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

Sigmar Gabriel?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
If you require the 'leader' to have actually won a national election/be in government and rank each country's influence/european importance by population * gdp, I guess it's Stefan Löfven.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

icantfindaname posted:

Sigmar Gabriel?

Isn't that the guy who was one of the people pushing for CETA and TTIP?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

Sigmar Gabriel?

:cawg: i think you meant to say schulz

gabriel's charisma is about halfway between hollande and a turd

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Rude.

A turd has qualifications.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

:cawg: i think you meant to say schulz

gabriel's charisma is about halfway between hollande and a turd

More charismatic than Hollande, then, that's good.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/fwred/status/806109071980064768

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

His Divine Shadow posted:

Isn't that the guy who was one of the people pushing for CETA and TTIP?

yep, traitor to the social democrat cause

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yep, traitor to the social democrat cause

He also authorised a merger that would create severe issues in the market.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

I'm curious about the participation rate in such a 2nd turn. Cambadélis already said he had doubt about the "Republican Front" in case of a Fillon-Le Pen duel, and frankly I think people are sick of being told to vote for any rear end in a top hat just because they're not FN. Fillon is supposed to be bad news for the FN, but the polls still give 20% more for Le Pen in 2nd turn compared to the 2002 election. I don't expect Le Pen to get elected, but I'm certainly hoping she gets enough votes to give a wake-up kick in the rear end to the mainstream parties. Because otherwise, 2022 could be very dangerous.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nyandaber Z posted:

I'm curious about the participation rate in such a 2nd turn. Cambadélis already said he had doubt about the "Republican Front" in case of a Fillon-Le Pen duel, and frankly I think people are sick of being told to vote for any rear end in a top hat just because they're not FN. Fillon is supposed to be bad news for the FN, but the polls still give 20% more for Le Pen in 2nd turn compared to the 2002 election. I don't expect Le Pen to get elected, but I'm certainly hoping she gets enough votes to give a wake-up kick in the rear end to the mainstream parties. Because otherwise, 2022 could be very dangerous.

The more popular Le Pen gets, the more of her policy positions will get copied over because that's the only lesson politicians learn - " this is popular I'll copy it and get those votes too!!!!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Stop jinxing us, if you say that enough times she will actually win. Has no one learned anything from 2016?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

double nine posted:

The more popular Le Pen gets, the more of her policy positions will get copied over because that's the only lesson politicians learn - " this is popular I'll copy it and get those votes too!!!!"

Government by opinion poll.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

double nine posted:

It's almost like the will of the people influences the decisions in this strange system.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Or it could be that politicians only care about "the will of the people" as far as it provides them with a convenient excuse to do whatever the hell they want. You know, like how Hollande was elected by left-wing voters but proceeded to piss away all their good will with years of neoliberal policies. That's why Valls is getting only 10% in that poll, incidentally, not because he's not pandering to racists enough.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

It's almost like the will of the people influences the decisions in this strange system.

This little thing called principles and a robust worldview don't matter then? Also it's funny how the will of the people doesn't matter when it comes to bailing out the rich.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The idea of people voting for someone who campaigned on destroying as many jobs as possible and increasing France's debt confuses and angers me. Fillon's policies are stupid dumb trickle-down bullshit that has been scientifically and empirically proven to be completely wrong, but this stupid ignorant obnoxious fucker is supposed to get 65% of votes in the second round? His program is so backwards he makes Le Pen look like the lesser evil.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The continuing demonisation of the FN and their voters makes that wanker all but impossible to avoid.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Calling fascists fascists isn't demonising.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

The idea of people voting for someone who campaigned on destroying as many jobs as possible and increasing France's debt confuses and angers me. Fillon's policies are stupid dumb trickle-down bullshit that has been scientifically and empirically proven to be completely wrong, but this stupid ignorant obnoxious fucker is supposed to get 65% of votes in the second round? His program is so backwards he makes Le Pen look like the lesser evil.

Well you could argue Hartz 4 style labor market liberalization would be good for France, but that's apparently already done by mr 4% approval rating, soooo. Is Fillon a true believer, full-bore Ayn Rand libertarian like the American GOP?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Riso posted:

The continuing demonisation of the FN and their voters makes that wanker all but impossible to avoid.

Even by European alt-right standards the FN are pretty fascist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

cebrail posted:

Calling fascists fascists isn't demonising.

The party may or may not be but the majority of their voters certainly are not.