Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cleveland generally has a great rep, the main guy posts on AVS all the time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Ah, I didn't know that. I sent him an email, see if he can ship to AK. I haven't trudged down to my local Best Buy yet, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them trying to sell the TVs for more than their web prices.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

uwaeve posted:

So for someone who hasn't got the time for a whole lot of research (which kills me because researching this type of stuff is my jam), is there anything I should know or pitfalls before I just pull the trigger on this? Need 4K and HDR working where applicable.

65" KS8000
Xbox One S
Sound to follow...maybe pick up the Samsung soundbar with subwoofer

I'm going to Best Buy because returnability is important, and they are currently extending returns to 1/15 instead of the usual 14 days.

Primarily for movies, Netflix HBO etc. have some blu rays and interested in the 4K blu rays as well. Not a big sports watcher or gamer but both will happen occasionally. Super bowl, will play a couple games etc. Done a little research on content, I assume an appletv will work (but not 4K or hdr I realize), but not positive exactly what apps are on Xbox and tv itself.

What do I need for cables to get everything running? I'm not ashamed to return poo poo like cables and the soundbar as those are the things I've done no research on. I know I can do monoprice cables but I'm not gonna wait on them right now.

This is going to be the test to see if I can live with the KS8000 vs the LG B6, I've seen them side by side and while the LG is sexy I can probably live without the upgrade.

I'll probably grab a 4K blu ray and a game or two. What's better, latest halo or gears of war?

Oh and is there an equivalent standard awesome 4k blu ray like Planet Earth was when I bought a Blu Ray player?

I bought those exact three things on BF. I didn't need any extra cables. Xbox comes with a high speed HDMI cable. Sound bar comes with optical audio cable. Sound bar sounds really nice and wasn't very expensive. I figured I needed one because the new 60" fills up the entire space of an enclosed cabinet so the sound is muffled.

Get Halo, Gears feels really dated mechanically. Planet Earth 2 is out but it's not in 4K yet (but coming). I got The Martian and Mad Max.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I bought my LG Oled65b6p from Chris at Cleveland Plasma and he was very easy to deal with.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anti-Hero posted:

Have you bought from them?

Yes. I got my tv from them. 0 problems.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I'm now the proud new owner of a 65 inch LG C6, it was mentioned previously about using the vudu app to watch 4k HDR movies I think? I don't think that's available in the UK, what options do we have over here apart from Netflix and Amazon for streaming 4k content?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there any expectation of the good stuff dropping in price significantly over the next 6 months or so? I have about 500 bucks saved for buying a monitor (gsync) but I also am in the market for a new ~50" television. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to buy the monitor first or the TV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You're likely out of range for the good stuff with a tv. 55" 1080p oled might drop to 1200 or so but I haven't seen those prices for a while.

Just get the monitor I guess?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Looks like I'm out of range for the good stuff in both then. 1440p monitors with G-Sync are in the 600-700 range.

I only plan to use this tv for video games ever, and the max my space can handle is a 52". I have been looking at displaylag.com and rtings.com for input lag numbers, but I also want it to look good, you know?

I am considering saving for a Vizio M50-D1

https://www.vizio.com/m50d1.html
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016

Looks good for games and if I ever do want to use it for tv or whatever it should be able to handle that.

But really the question is, how quick do prices drop on this poo poo anyway? I haven't bought a TV in years

edit: Looks like the D50u-D1 might actually be a better value for the same poo poo if all I'm doing is games

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 4, 2016

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J6W8D0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to accept an input from my TV and my PC, both of which are going through a Magni/Modi stack.

The PC input sounds fine - dead quiet. The TV input has a ton of feedback. The feedback gets better if I manually reduce the amount of amplification on the headphone AMP, but then it lowers the volume so much it is hard to hear the TV.

Is there something I can do to reduce or kill the feedback or should I just pick up a new audio switch? If so, which one do you recommend?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

uwaeve posted:

I'll probably grab a 4K blu ray and a game or two. What's better, latest halo or gears of war?

Get Battlefield One. It's an amazing game on its own, you'll get 100's of hours of out it. And it's one of the prettiest games on the Xbox One. Halo 5 would still be a good purchase (these days, after all the updates), but visually it isn't that great.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

beergod posted:

I bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J6W8D0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to accept an input from my TV and my PC, both of which are going through a Magni/Modi stack.

The PC input sounds fine - dead quiet. The TV input has a ton of feedback. The feedback gets better if I manually reduce the amount of amplification on the headphone AMP, but then it lowers the volume so much it is hard to hear the TV.

Is there something I can do to reduce or kill the feedback or should I just pick up a new audio switch? If so, which one do you recommend?

Are some of these devices plugged into different outlets or are they all on the same surge protector?

I'd make sure it's not a ground loop issue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_%28electricity%29

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Zogo posted:

Are some of these devices plugged into different outlets or are they all on the same surge protector?

I'd make sure it's not a ground loop issue.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_%28electricity%29

If I connect the TV directly to the headphone amp, there is no hum. Does that mean anything?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I learned from a huge technophile that HDR is something like 5 years old, and 4K is the brand new thing, so HDR shouldn't be a big deal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

lite_sleepr posted:

I learned from a huge technophile that HDR is something like 5 years old, and 4K is the brand new thing, so HDR shouldn't be a big deal.

Go talk to new people.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My local Best Buy has the 55C6P for $1999, which is less than their web price and Amazon. Conversely, the 55E6P is up to $2799. Maybe a pricing mistake? I feel like I should jump on the C6P for that price!

They didn't have a C6P on display, but they had the E6P and I'm really not impressed with that stand - it's wobbly as hell for a $2800 TV.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Can I transport a 65 b6 flat or is it asking for trouble? I understand plasma and lcds have a huge expanse of unsupported glass that can act like a trampoline during flat shipment, but the oled looks to have the glass bonded to the structure (which isn't infinitely stuff itself, I'm sure). Just wondering if anyone has transported them flat with or without success.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lite_sleepr posted:

Wonder if he's saying that because of the photography technique, that's been used and abused for a bunch of years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rumor is Sony is buying OLED panels from LG and are going to show off a 2017 OLED range at CES.

LG's panel with Sony's picture engine is like potentially the best thing ever.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/12/04/sony-oled-tvs-rumored-for-2017/#29f264cc1307

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Rumor is Sony is buying OLED panels from LG and are going to show off a 2017 OLED range at CES.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/12/04/sony-oled-tvs-rumored-for-2017/#29f264cc1307

This is good news for me!

So how amazing were the helicopter shots of Tuscany on the newest Grand Tour on your OLED dream tv?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jaw dropping really. So much eye candy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

And really more competition in the OLED market is going to be better for everyone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ars did a big detailed writeup on HDR:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/high-dynamic-range-explained-theres-a-reason-to-finally-get-a-new-tv/

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
my bad, should have read the previous page

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 5, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

a shameful boehner posted:

Does the LG line of OLEDs have enough input lag to make gaming on them unfun/unplayable?

I'd really like a 4k OLED as an upgrade from my 9 year old 42" LCD, but I'm wondering if I need to wait longer.

EDIT:

Oh god now I can't figure out where I saw that conversation. RIght now, the 4k HDR input lag is not great, but LG says they're fixing it:

http://4k.com/news/lg-is-finally-promising-a-fix-for-its-oled-and-lcd-4k-tv-hdr-gaming-input-lag-problem-17736/

DOUBLE EDIT:

I am dumb it was on the previous page :(

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 6, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It doesn't bother me for Forza Horizon, battlefield or NHL but I am not a pro gamer.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

beergod posted:

If I connect the TV directly to the headphone amp, there is no hum. Does that mean anything?

Maybe. You'd probably have to draw a diagram to show exactly how everything is connected.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I ordered the KS8000 direct from Samsung, and it was supposed to be delivered on Saturday. After they missed the scheduled delivery the status switched to "Pending" and there is no new scheduled delivery time. I'm guessing it got damaged or stolen at the receiving facility and they are waiting for a new one...

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Or it was never accurate

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

lite_sleepr posted:

Or it was never accurate

Well sure, but it was shipping from in-state, and made it to the destination facility (to be put on the truck to be out for delivery) within a day, and it's been several days now without even updating the status past "pending." All they have to do is put it on the truck and drive it 20 minutes, if it's there and not damaged.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've spent some time with my new LG OLED55C6P since the Black Friday sales and I have been consistently impressed with the picture quality regardless of what I had it play. I just did a quick calibration with a Spears & Munsil blu-ray and it was good to go (almost perfect out of the box). I spoke with LG on the phone yesterday and they state the next update for this TV to deal with input lag is expected on 12/26. Personally, I normally PC game with a G-sync monitor and did NOT experience terrible input lag from my PS4 Pro as has been discussed online. Maybe everything with a controller just feels slower than a keyboard and mouse for me and I didn't notice. Granted, Sony recently updated the Pro to deal with the issue so I was likely spared the worst. I'm installing the new 11/30 firmware update now and will try out the new HDR Game mode. Overall, I'm extremely happy with this set and even with the picture quality of console games played on it. Netflix 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision content all looks fantastic and regular 1080p looks great, too.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Man :/

Sharp Customer Service posted:

Thank you for contacting Sharp Customer Service.

I understand you would like to know if the HDR firmware for your unit is ready.

I am happy to assist. As of right now HDR is not currently available for this model.

Our engineering team is working diligently to have this released for your television.

We do not have an estimated time of arrival but once this is ready it will be made available to you.

I understand how frustrating this may be for you but I ask you bare with us as we get this resolved for you.

Your incident number is H167167.

I guess my TV supports HDR on a hardware level, but firmware to enable it isn't even on the radar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I wouldn't expect much from Sharp now they've sold the name off.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What a waste of money.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Are there any wall mount companies that are particularly good/bad? Echogear stuff has good reviews on Amazon.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Unless you are buying something fancy they are all just samples steel.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Is this where you ask about budget TVs or do we get laughed out of the thread for being poors?

I mean, I want that nice 65" OLED, but I also like being able to pay rent...

Are any of the 40-50" sub-$500 4Ks worth a poo poo? I've had good luck with up-and-comping monitor companies like BenQ, but I don't know if any of the brands I've never heard of in TVs are actually good. Being too small to develop your own propretary OS (Tizen, WebOS) for a smart TV is a positive - I want to put Kodi on it directly.

Insight? Highsense? TMC? I've never heard of any of them, and in-store displays are being run off a loving VHS broadcast in FM unless you're looking at a $2500+ model from one of the big 3, in which case they get a properly produced 4k demo reel showing off their features. 1080i feed into a 4K TV. WHY.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you can fit it, the minimum you should shoot for is 55" as that's the size that's the floor for quality with most manufacturers.

You can get something decent around $600 at that size which is over your budget, but not hugely so.

The LG 55UH6150 can be had at Best Buy for $599 right now and is 4k, supports HDR10, and runs WebOS 3.0.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Harik posted:

Is this where you ask about budget TVs or do we get laughed out of the thread for being poors?

I mean, I want that nice 65" OLED, but I also like being able to pay rent...

Are any of the 40-50" sub-$500 4Ks worth a poo poo? I've had good luck with up-and-comping monitor companies like BenQ, but I don't know if any of the brands I've never heard of in TVs are actually good. Being too small to develop your own propretary OS (Tizen, WebOS) for a smart TV is a positive - I want to put Kodi on it directly.

Insight? Highsense? TMC? I've never heard of any of them, and in-store displays are being run off a loving VHS broadcast in FM unless you're looking at a $2500+ model from one of the big 3, in which case they get a properly produced 4k demo reel showing off their features. 1080i feed into a 4K TV. WHY.

HiSense bought the Sharp name, so a HiSense is a rebranded Sharp.

Ask me how I know about how lovely Sharp is :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

bull3964 posted:

The LG 55UH6150 can be had at Best Buy for $599 right now and is 4k, supports HDR10, and runs WebOS 3.0.

Good, Good, good, dealbreaker.

I really don't have the space for a 55 either, unfortunately. The media area is built into the wall to the side of the center fireplace, and I'd have to do major reconstruction to expand it. '70s houses didn't build with 55" TVs in mind. It would physically fit, but due to the depth of the media nook (built for CRTs) when I wall-mount it it would have a portion of the left edge obscured. I'd have to build a false wall just to hang it on and that's a bit much. If everything under that size is crap I'll just buy cheap until I either move or rennovate.