Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It does sound like this should have kicked in though

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It is loading though, it's just loading your captive page. It's not getting dropped packets.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's a real downside of captive portals. The first time you connect to a WLAN with captive portal on an iPhone it immediately redirects you to the Terms and Conditions/Logon Page. Unfortunately, the iPhone (and any other phone really) *remembers* the WLAN and so reconnects automatically by default, but doesn't pull up the captive portal authentication. You need to manually open a browser to get the redirect for authentication to the captive portal. This means as far as the phone is concerned you are connected to the WLAN fine. What it doesn't know, is that you're aren't authorized to communicate to anything other than the captive portal page. So any app other than a browser will fail with messages that indicate you aren't on a network. It can be very confusing for an end-user.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't know about Apple or Google phones, but my Windows phone will prefer cell network if it's connected to a wifi network that doesn't have internet connectivity. The last few times my home internet has gone down, my phone stayed on my home wireless, but used cell to connect out.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I have a Google phone (on the latest Nougat dev preview, mind you) and in that situation it will autoconnect to the wifi network but it will remain connected to LTE until I authenticate with the captive portal.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Galaxy s6 will connect and pop up the auth screen automatically, then disconnect if there is no connectivity.

You have to turn the later setting on, however, and it apparently eats battery life.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

flosofl posted:

Well, if it's a captive portal it didn't fail connecting to the WLAN. It failed on authenticating to the captive portal so it can communicate to anything other than the captive portal. But the WLAN part was working correctly.

But yes, typically if you can't connect to a WLAN most phones (including iPhone) will fail back the carrier network.

Android has a Connectivity checker that will make it not use WLAN if it's behaving wonky (and it catches our captive portal at least). Does iPhone not have something similar that can be configured?

e:fb I should really refresh before replying

Thanks Ants posted:

It does sound like this should have kicked in though

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205296

Yeah that!

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

deimos posted:

Android has a Connectivity checker that will make it not use WLAN if it's behaving wonky (and it catches our captive portal at least). Does iPhone not have something similar that can be configured?

e:fb I should really refresh before replying

Yeah that!

E: Meh, never mind

Wifi Assist probably won't kick in since you've got strong signal and some connections are working

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 2, 2016

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

NeuralSpark posted:

I don't know if WiFI Assist will kick in if there's a strong wifi signal. In my experience it seems to be primarily keyed off the wifi signal strength. Both iOS and macOS have "captiveagent" that will attempt to load "http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html" and, failing that, should pop up a modal Safari page to show the portal's login. It will continue to try to load that URL in the background for some number of retries, and (on iOS) then fail back to the cell carrier.

My experience, which granted is a few iOS versions out of date, has been that this agent only runs on the first ever successful attempt to connect to a WLAN. Subsequent logins to the now remembered network do not trigger the connectivity test because it has already been passed. I've either had to remember myself to load a page in Safari to force authentication or disable connectivity to the network to force LTE usage.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PremiumSupport posted:

My experience, which granted is a few iOS versions out of date, has been that this agent only runs on the first ever successful attempt to connect to a WLAN. Subsequent logins to the now remembered network do not trigger the connectivity test because it has already been passed. I've either had to remember myself to load a page in Safari to force authentication or disable connectivity to the network to force LTE usage.

That sucks. Android handles this fine, as we have the same type of setup here and my phone will not use the network until I do the portal thing because it knows that I have no actual connectivity :smug: applesuxamirite?

This seems like a goofy oversight and perhaps something that could be reported and fixed in future iOS versions?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MF_James posted:

That sucks. Android handles this fine, as we have the same type of setup here and my phone will not use the network until I do the portal thing because it knows that I have no actual connectivity :smug: applesuxamirite?

This seems like a goofy oversight and perhaps something that could be reported and fixed in future iOS versions?

Considering that it's been an issue on iphones for as long as there have been iphones, it doesn't seem like a high priority.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It does not surprise me that a shiny overpriced toy for children does not function properly in a professional environment.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
It hasn't always worked well on Android, it used to gently caress with me every time I drove within a block of the baseball stadium since they had such huge fire-breathing antennae that my phone would connect from way outside the stadium and interrupt my streaming radio (usually the baseball game ironically)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

carry on then posted:

It does not surprise me that a shiny overpriced toy for children does not function properly in a professional environment.

You must be fun at parties.

The Nards Pan posted:

It hasn't always worked well on Android, it used to gently caress with me every time I drove within a block of the baseball stadium since they had such huge fire-breathing antennae that my phone would connect from way outside the stadium and interrupt my streaming radio (usually the baseball game ironically)

I had similar issues with my old ATT HTC One. It was pre-configured to automatically connect to "attwifi" hotspots, and there was a FedEx store with one of these hotspot 2 doors down from my work at the time. My phone would randomly switch over to the attwifi and not be able to access the internet until I switched it back.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

carry on then posted:

come on man we've already got a slapfight going in the working in IT thread, do we need another one in the ticket thread?

edit; just brought a remote site from independent network to full VPN tunnel on my primary network. They have wifi out there so I decided to check it and make sure it's secured.

Password is "temptemp", is broadcast in a public area near a high school, and connects to their internal production environment. The loving MSP that predated me is the absolute worst.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 2, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

come on man we've already got a slapfight going in the working in IT thread, do we need another one in the ticket thread?

Some people have religion. Others have OS manufacturers.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

flosofl posted:

Some people have religion. Others have OS manufacturers.

Death to Lenovo.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

Death to Lenovo.

Death to vi.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

The Fool posted:

Death to vi.

Nano supremacy

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Death to printers!

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Serious answer to the iPhone issue: reset the phone's network settings:

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

It is a full bore reset and kinda overkill, but that is your best bet to make an iPhone that can't hold a captive portal connection

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Migishu posted:

Death to printers!
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Aunt Beth posted:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Finally, printers are good again

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Ignore me, I didn't see there was another page of posts before posting.

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 3, 2016

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

The Fool posted:

Death to vi.

I actually managed to get my hands on an improved version. It's not bad :shrug:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

flosofl posted:

It's a real downside of captive portals. The first time you connect to a WLAN with captive portal on an iPhone it immediately redirects you to the Terms and Conditions/Logon Page. Unfortunately, the iPhone (and any other phone really) *remembers* the WLAN and so reconnects automatically by default, but doesn't pull up the captive portal authentication.

Sounds like the captive portal you're using is faking the response for http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html which is naughty.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Sounds like the captive portal you're using is faking the response for http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html which is naughty.

WiFi portals that do this are the bane of my life.

Looking at you, the Cloud.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Possibly getting denied a vacation day because "the other NY person is already on vacation that day" is such a lovely reason. It's the loving day before Christmas weekend, I highly doubt there will be anything that requires an onsite visit.

Maybe if the rest of the support team could get their heads out of their asses and stop loving up support for our NY clients then this bullshit wouldn't have to keep getting shoved on me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

Possibly getting denied a vacation day because "the other NY person is already on vacation that day" is such a lovely reason. It's the loving day before Christmas weekend, I highly doubt there will be anything that requires an onsite visit.

Maybe if the rest of the support team could get their heads out of their asses and stop loving up support for our NY clients then this bullshit wouldn't have to keep getting shoved on me.

They hired another Jewish guy at my old job (well, the owners were Jewish too) and stuck him on my team which meant it was a race to get the holidays off.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
At my last job, my boss was observant Orthodox. He knew I was Jewish (He and his boss, the chief accountant, and I were all going back and forth making Yiddish jokes during my interview) but not observant. The other IT guy, the helpdesk dude, was observant Christian to the point that Sunday was treated as an uncontactable day in the same vein as sundown Friday to sundown Saturday being Sabbath for my boss.

So when he was fired due to consistently refusing to get treatment for sleep apnea, causing him to fall asleep multiple times daily, I got to cover each and every Friday night and Saturday as an on-call day for a 24-7-365 operation. He got Sundays, which I then got off, but still, it wasn't fun.

I keep thinking I should wear a yarmulke to my next interview, should this job go south (I hope it doesn't, this current job rocks pretty hard) and claim the same religious observance but the second I have a salami sandwich, or a carnitas burrito, it's game over :-(

lastjob!Boss was also observant such to the point that he was basically off from Erev Rosh Hashanah all the way through the last night of Sukkot. He'd be in for the few days after Yom Kippur and before Sukkot, but all the other Jewish holidays which were considered less important to my reform upbringing (e.g. Yom Ha'atzmaut, Simchat Torah, etc.) and thus just an extra night at the synagogue during the week were multi-day religious observance holidays for him. It wreaked havoc with his PTO - he'd been with the company for upwards of 10 years and with all those days, he'd maybe have an actual weekend of vacation and/or sick time per year.

MJP fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 5, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MJP posted:

But the second I have a salami sandwich, or a carnitas burrito, it's game over :-(

Like anyone would actually notice, or care enough to point it out.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Never underestimate the power of some dickhead petty angry that someone gets off for 'some bullshit holiday' or however they view it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

pixaal posted:

Like anyone would actually notice, or care enough to point it out.

You'd be surprised as gently caress about that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pretending a religion to get days off is heinous and should get you fired imo.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Those vegan alternatives are amazing nowadays. You really can't tell the difference. :v:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I have found myself in a Camus-ian or Heller-esque situation where my best hope for getting a 40% pay hike(half of six figures is 3 figures, right?) and a promotion I've been working toward most of my life hinges on me convincing everybody in management that I do nothing most days and have accomplished nothing substantial in the past year.

If I get this I get bumped from Tier 2 to Tier 3 Japanese support in a department that has as many people as there are support tiers (my boss is currently tier 3), and I get to be a cluster toucher and put cluster touching on my resume.

I still probably have to work Tier 1 English support no matter what, but whatevs I get an English ticket less than twice a month. I escalated literally 2 tickets to my boss the entire year. I escalated a single ticket to a support contractor. I closed, by the most generous possible count, 60 tickets this year.

I'm in hour 9 of compiling a record of the very few things I've touched in the past year in order to make my case.

Please send help whiskey craft brews malt liquor.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 6, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Pretending a religion to get days off is heinous and should get you fired imo.

All religions are pretend anyway :smuggo:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

flosofl posted:

All religions are pretend anyway :smuggo:

Turn left thread nooooooooooo

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Renewing my "gently caress Project Managers" mantra.

Got a text from a PM (who I can only describe as "Captain DudeBro" to accurately capture his persona) at 7pm last night asking for an update on a project (that is non-critical).

I have a 3-hour+ round-trip commute (I ride in a van-pool), and by the time I get home, I typically have 2-3 hours (when I'm not oncall) to spend with my family, so gently caress your project updates off-hours.

I sent an email with the project update and a very nicely worded version of "If you text me for project updates off-hours again I'll kill your family and gently caress your mother", cc-ing his and my lead.

Motherfucker texted me again this morning asking for an update, to which I replied "I emailed you. Don't text me off hours".

Seriously, wtf is wrong with people?

I contemplated replying to his text at 4:30am, which is when I normally get up in the morning, but decided to take the high-road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kensei posted:

Turn left thread nooooooooooo

*turns right*

• Locked thread