Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm guessing this has already been brought up, but I'm getting a ton of crashes on my iPhone 6s. It will happen after trying to open a thread, and the unread post counter will go down even though the app crashes before showing any posts. I've tried logging out and back in as well as completely deleting and reinstalling the app, but nothing has fixed the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
It has, and I apologize. There's a crash fix or two in the current beta (which I'm trying desperately to release), and there are a few crashes happening a lot that are completely baffling me but I'll try to solve them if this release ever happens.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

Bug report: in iOS 10 and... I guess previous Awful from the App Store (v3.17), if you long-press on a link within an embedded tweet, it will first pop up the useless "Copy URL/Cancel" buttons where the only URL copied is <https://forums.somethingawful.com>, as I've previously reported. But now if you keep pressing for a fraction of a second longer, it will pop up a new and exciting and partially useless set of buttons! These are "Copy/Open in Safari/Share.../Cancel": "Copy" seems to do literally nothing, "Share..." likewise (since I guess there's already the first set of buttons on the screen mb preventing the Sharing sheet from appearing?), and I've never tried "Open in Safari" so it might work!

pokeyman posted:

That sounds pretty unhelpful indeed. I'll add it to my list!

This is fixed (which I think you've noted), but I'm seeing this same bug with embedded YouTube videos, though the buttons are "Open/Add to Reading List/Copy/Share..." here. I think I first saw it around the same time as the embedded tweet double-popup-buttons bug, but hadn't activated it in a while when I made the above report. None of the double-popup-buttons do anything except for possibly Copy, which I think just sets the clipboard to the empty string rather than actually copying the video URL.

Awful 3.19 from App Store, iOS 10.1 (haven't updated to 10.1.1 yet but I'm expertly guessing it wouldn't solve the issue).

Example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojH7dx9KmY

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 22, 2016

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I am totally down for making all the thread tags that are missing during this holiday break, I just don't want to go hunting them down.

Guess we also need a censored Sex tag too.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

I am totally down for making all the thread tags that are missing during this holiday break, I just don't want to go hunting them down.

Guess we also need a censored Sex tag too.

If you're going to start making censored tags, you need to do much more than the sex tag.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oooo fun!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Not sure if this is relevant since it's an old version of iOS, but with Awful 3.17 on iOS 9.latest, it appears that sometimes when you tap on an ignored user's post to reveal it, it replaces it with a recent post from someone else in the thread.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I just realized I can't maximize or minimize any subforums. No error message, the app just crashes when I press the arrow. This is on Awful 3.19 and IOS 10.1.1

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a way of deleting those stupid Chinese spam calendar invites without hitting decline? I'm guessing pressing that button is why I got another one an hour later. Ugh.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Yeah it hit decline too like a retard. The appropriate thing apparently is to create a spam calendar. Then move them to it. Then delete the new calendar.

Wrong thread btw.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 25, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doh! I have too many Apple icon threads bookmarked and hit the wrong one.

I saw another remedy online that says to log into iCloud from the web, and go into the options where you can tell it to send the invite as an email rather than to app. That seems a little less long winded on first inspection.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Has anyone else been experiencing weirdness when refreshing the thread list? New post counts not updating, and clicking on a thread will take me to a different thread(presumably whichever thread has actually been bumped last). Getting this on iPhone and iPad

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Nope, hardcoded 40. Sorry.

can this be changed?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

kri kri posted:

can this be changed?

tape two iphone together

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

kri kri posted:

can this be changed?

Not easily that I know of. I'm sure it's on the list already :v:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

stickers are amazing :dance:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hey the stickers got approved. Good job!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

How do I get these stickers

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

various cheeses posted:

How do I get these stickers

Update the app

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Can they be disabled?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

How do they even work? Is it just the thing that showed up in iMessages?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Where are the get out frogs

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
New version doesn't show the right thread icon for some threads. Examples are the Android threads or the Viking Season 4 thread.
Stickers are great

bronin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 6, 2016

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bronin posted:

New version doesn't show the right thread icon for some threads. Examples are the Android threads or the Viking Season 4 thread.
Stickers are great

This is unfortunately because Apple started actually looking at thread tags, so now certain ones have to be excluded to get through app review.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

pokeyman posted:

It has, and I apologize. There's a crash fix or two in the current beta (which I'm trying desperately to release), and there are a few crashes happening a lot that are completely baffling me but I'll try to solve them if this release ever happens.

I've had a ton of crashes recently, maybe related to my mod status? If you need help with anything shoot me a PM.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Ideas Guy™ time! I am not super familiar with the technical details of how retina images are served/shown on websites and there may be other obstacles, but...

If the web version of the Android thread tag is hosted on SA at .../img/android.gif, and suppose the Awful app version were at .../img/android.gif@3x (or whatever the convention is). If Awful app just scraped those hosted thread tags to display in any given thread listing, instead of including them in the app bundle's resources, would that pass the app reviewers' muster?

Or would this be viewed as circumventing their rules and be judged harshly?

Or would this would gently caress up macOS Safari displays so ZDR or whoever would never sign off on it?

Other possible alternative: since Awful app scrapes + detects + replaces thread tag images with its own bundled resources, what if any unrecognized thread tags were just scraped and displayed as-is?

If you use any of these ideas, I expect 50% of the profits that thereby accrue, thx in advance

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

various cheeses posted:

Where are the get out frogs

Apparently :frogout: stopped the app from :getin: to the App Store. Because apple says so?

We tried to get as many emoticons approved as possible but it turns out there are a lot that are just not acceptable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably someone thought it was that popular Nazi frog.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

This is fixed (which I think you've noted), but I'm seeing this same bug with embedded YouTube videos, though the buttons are "Open/Add to Reading List/Copy/Share..." here. I think I first saw it around the same time as the embedded tweet double-popup-buttons bug, but hadn't activated it in a while when I made the above report. None of the double-popup-buttons do anything except for possibly Copy, which I think just sets the clipboard to the empty string rather than actually copying the video URL.

Awful 3.19 from App Store, iOS 10.1 (haven't updated to 10.1.1 yet but I'm expertly guessing it wouldn't solve the issue).

That's not super surprising now that you mention it. Should be easy to fix. And I'm expertly agreeing with your expert guess.

the yeti posted:

Not sure if this is relevant since it's an old version of iOS, but with Awful 3.17 on iOS 9.latest, it appears that sometimes when you tap on an ignored user's post to reveal it, it replaces it with a recent post from someone else in the thread.

I think it is relevant, yours isn't the first report I've received. I'll +1 on my list.

Fray posted:

I just realized I can't maximize or minimize any subforums. No error message, the app just crashes when I press the arrow. This is on Awful 3.19 and IOS 10.1.1

Whoops. I'll see if I can reproduce that, it's been a little while since that broke for me. It might help to log out and back in (which clears the cache), or possibly to delete and reinstall. I realize that's a pain in the rear end but maybe it's something.

Professor Puppytime posted:

Has anyone else been experiencing weirdness when refreshing the thread list? New post counts not updating, and clicking on a thread will take me to a different thread(presumably whichever thread has actually been bumped last). Getting this on iPhone and iPad

I get that once in a while, sometimes the database still gets out of sync with everything. It's possible a log out + log back in can fix something. But yeah it's a lovely bug that pops in sometimes.

kri kri posted:

can this be changed?

It's one of those things that was an innocent, simplifying assumption years ago and is now a bit scary to change. If I'm honest, it's probably not too hard to change, but we'll be finding stupid bugs for ages where we assumed at most 40 posts per page.

So yes, it can be changed, and it's on my list, but I have even less of an idea than usual about when it might happen. Sorry.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I've had a ton of crashes recently, maybe related to my mod status? If you need help with anything shoot me a PM.

Will do, thanks. I'm seeing a bunch of new crashes that I don't at all understand, so my guess is isn't just a secret mode for mods. But I could be wrong.

Grace Baiting posted:

Ideas Guy™ time! I am not super familiar with the technical details of how retina images are served/shown on websites and there may be other obstacles, but...

If the web version of the Android thread tag is hosted on SA at .../img/android.gif, and suppose the Awful app version were at .../img/android.gif@3x (or whatever the convention is). If Awful app just scraped those hosted thread tags to display in any given thread listing, instead of including them in the app bundle's resources, would that pass the app reviewers' muster?

Or would this be viewed as circumventing their rules and be judged harshly?

The reviewers use the exact copy of the app that ends up in the App Store, so they'd see the scraped versions as well, and a bunch of Awful's thread tags have the same symbols as SA's version so probably more rejection. I did have one round of reviews where I prevented a set of "objectionable" thread tags from ever appearing but they were still in the app bundle, and they replied quickly still complaining about those same images which I'm fairly sure they didn't actually see in the app. But I don't think their main enforcement is done based on the app resources. Anyway, the only way we could get this by review would be by showing the reviewers something different from what makes it into the store, and yes, they do frown upon that.

withak posted:

Probably someone thought it was that popular Nazi frog.

They did specifically call out :feelsgood: in the very first rejection, and I wasn't about to argue that that usage predates the current association blah blah blah let's perform sociology on some memes while on the phone to App Review (had 2 calls in the last month to get this through review, I poo poo you not). I think they were just on heightened alert for frogs in general. Plus I doubt forwarding them the source material for :frog: would help my case.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
FWIW I haven't had a crash since I updated.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
Grabbed the new iOS update the moment I saw it available since I've using this app incessantly as of late. I use your poo poo on like 5 devices with different iOS versions/jailbroken status and it seems as if I could count the number of crashes on one hand. Thought I'd just be a bit gay for a sec and say thanks for your (ya'll's?) work. Why don't you have a donation link? I haven't quite figured out what 'stickers' are yet, but I'm super loving stoked to have em' now...

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
The image upload failed bug seems... fixed?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Test 2

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bagsack posted:

Grabbed the new iOS update the moment I saw it available since I've using this app incessantly as of late. I use your poo poo on like 5 devices with different iOS versions/jailbroken status and it seems as if I could count the number of crashes on one hand. Thought I'd just be a bit gay for a sec and say thanks for your (ya'll's?) work. Why don't you have a donation link? I haven't quite figured out what 'stickers' are yet, but I'm super loving stoked to have em' now...

Thanks for the kind words!

I've resisted a donation link because a) there's lots of contributors and I have no idea how to split any tips, and b) it's an unofficial app so I feel wrong profiting off content we don't have any real right to use. The annual upkeep is the cost of one domain name, so it's certainly no hardship to keep it running.

Stickers are in the Messages app. You can now conveniently send your friend(s) and family any of the dozens of SA smilies that made it through App Review!

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Whoops. I'll see if I can reproduce that, it's been a little while since that broke for me. It might help to log out and back in (which clears the cache), or possibly to delete and reinstall. I realize that's a pain in the rear end but maybe it's something.
It was either the new update or logging out, but it's working again. Thanks

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

pokeyman posted:

Thanks for the kind words!

I've resisted a donation link because a) there's lots of contributors and I have no idea how to split any tips, and b) it's an unofficial app so I feel wrong profiting off content we don't have any real right to use. The annual upkeep is the cost of one domain name, so it's certainly no hardship to keep it running.

Stickers are in the Messages app. You can now conveniently send your friend(s) and family any of the dozens of SA smilies that made it through App Review!

how about a nice beej or a handyj?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

When I send a PM I can't see anything I type below the keyboard

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

zen death robot posted:

I'm still getting crashes when I post about half the time. Is there any way I can send stats to show what's going on? I know there's some extra JavaScript that admins get and maybe that's an issue? Not sure.

I've also been getting crashes when posting sometimes, so I don't think it's an admin thing.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

skull mask mcgee posted:

I've also been getting crashes when posting sometimes, so I don't think it's an admin thing.

what if you're an admin and you don't know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

zen death robot posted:

I'm still getting crashes when I post about half the time. Is there any way I can send stats to show what's going on? I know there's some extra JavaScript that admins get and maybe that's an issue? Not sure.

No mods no masters

• Locked thread