Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think it'll be something that reveals her petty selfish nature like wanting everyone else to be gigantified so they can share a table with her but she doesn't see why she should grow taller just to share a table with the giants.

That or she's a mini giant and the gigantification process is actually for her to use an no one else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Are there any instances of half-giants in One Piece yet?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

There are the Wutang (sp) which are half fishmen. I think theres more

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RealFoxy posted:

Are there any instances of half-giants in One Piece yet?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is that from Filler though?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

RealFoxy posted:

That's Oars jr's nakama from marineford.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RealFoxy posted:

they're just humans dressed like oars jr i think. i lied to you sorry. i'm sorry

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Pudding will be the Lunch/Launch of the series.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Thats Hancock

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

There are the Wutang (sp) which are half fishmen. I think theres more

Wotan, although yours is a fantastic concept.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dordreff posted:

Wotan, although yours is a fantastic concept.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
As much as I love that edit, its just making me disappointed all over again about Robin getting a fight set up right in front of her, then not being allowed to actually fight that fight.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies
I'm betting on Big Mom being a really short giant who's incredibly sensitive about it. The "Maybe you didn't notice them!" crack afterwards convinced me. She'd be too short to related to giants and too tall to relate to regular humans, so her desire to surround herself with people of her size makes a lot of sense in that context.

edit: I can't remember which poster originally suggested that Big Mom was a short giant a few pages back, but someone else brought it up first and it made perfect sense to me.

Fuckshoes fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 7, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gnome7 posted:

As much as I love that edit, its just making me disappointed all over again about Robin getting a fight set up right in front of her, then not being allowed to actually fight that fight.

That is every Robin fight except the one guy in Skypedia who wrecked up some ancient ruins while no one but Robin and he were around.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Where is Robin right now, anyway? It feels like we haven't seen her for a couple of weeks.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gyges posted:

That is every Robin fight except the one guy in Skypedia who wrecked up some ancient ruins while no one but Robin and he were around.

And then she loving murdered him.

I had high hopes for a good Robin fight in Dressrosa too, now I just hope she gets one before the end of the series :smith:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Begemot posted:

And then she loving murdered him.

I had high hopes for a good Robin fight in Dressrosa too, now I just hope she gets one before the end of the series :smith:

Does restraining Hakuba count?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

blizzardvizard posted:

Where is Robin right now, anyway? It feels like we haven't seen her for a couple of weeks.

with the 'not part of this arc' portion of the crew

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like as the cast gets bigger, we're gonna keep having these groups of Sir Not Appearing In This Arc so some people can actually get focus.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
My guess for why Robin doesn't get to fight isn't actually the standard Girl In Shonen, So No Fights but rather Oda can't figure out a way to make a fight with Robin interesting, since she usually just grabs dudes and breaks their spines.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mighty Dicktron posted:

My guess for why Robin doesn't get to fight isn't actually the standard Girl In Shonen, So No Fights but rather Oda can't figure out a way to make a fight with Robin interesting, since she usually just grabs dudes and breaks their spines.

thats why shes going to fight pizzarro or whatever his name is. the "corrupt king". dude that deserves to be taken down by the revolutionaries from his name, im guessing. if you look closely, he has drills for arms, so his devil fruit probably counteracts her ability to grab him.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

I assume she's with Zoro and Law.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Robin is CC/Utility she's not for 1 on 1 fights.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

She could at least get a cool moment. Ussop didn't have a traditional fight in Dressrossa, but what he did have was way better. If Robin's sitting this arc out because she was featured in Dressrossa... well that sucks 'cause she was barely featured at all. Her big moment was getting Rebecca out of the way so Kyros could fight.

Robin's my favorite strawhat, and whenever she does stuff it's amazing, but her role in Dressrossa was kind of underwhelming. She didn't need to fight, but it would have been cool if she didn't just get lost in the crowd in that crazy arc. Heck, Brook got more focus than she did, with his cool art fight, and he was one of the "absent" half. (Not that Brook's disproportionate screen time is bad thing overall. He's awesome and deserves every cool moment he gets.)

Eiba fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 7, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Oh yeah absolutely, Robin really needs some more spotlight. That post was pure musing, really.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

That wasn't even really a fight, since he didn't put up any kind of notable resistance. Robin just grabbed him and hosed him off a cliff. It's cool, but fights generally involve some back and forth, usually against a character with some degree of focus and personality. That dude had neither. I'm sure he had a name given, but gently caress if I can be bothered remembering it given how inconsequential he was. I'm still waiting for Robin to get even one real fight, because I can't count that one personally given the above.

Brook is in much the same boat, but because he gets cool pages where he shines without fighting, like his final concert in Saobody I'm not really pushed if he ever gets a proper fight. Robin doesn't even get that,at least that I can recall. Though it looks like Brook will have a full on fight with that long leg commander regardless.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Yeah, this same thing happened with the Flash in the Justice League cartoon where he constantly got punked because a dude with super speed is impossible to write not just owning everything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Oh yeah absolutely, Robin really needs some more spotlight. That post was pure musing, really.
Yeah, you're not wrong. I wasn't disagreeing with you so much as going on a rant I had wanted to go on anyway using your post talking about Robin fighting as a starting point.

tsob posted:

That wasn't even really a fight, since he didn't put up any kind of notable resistance. Robin just grabbed him and hosed him off a cliff. It's cool, but fights generally involve some back and forth, usually against a character with some degree of focus and personality. That dude had neither. I'm sure he had a name given, but gently caress if I can be bothered remembering it given how inconsequential he was. I'm still waiting for Robin to get even one real fight, because I can't count that one personally given the above.
Yama.

It was a great fight, by the way. And it totally had back and forth. Robin couldn't do anything to him while she was protecting the ruins. Yama didn't understand this and thought she was just weak. The fight lasted for a while before she maneuvered him away from the ruins and loving murdered him.

That's a real fight. "You only had a chance because I had something holding me back" is a classic shonen twist. See: pretty much every fight in East Blue, and a lot of Zoro fights. Eventually that thing holding back the hero falls away and the antagonist gets loving murdered. It's great. The fight had a fantastic sense of tension followed by incredible catharsis, as Robin was being held back by what was important to her- the heritage of mankind and the value that the past has to the present. The physical remains of the past are our only foggy, fragile look back into another world, and if they're gone so is that world. Their fragility makes them precious. It's a somewhat abstract idea, but one that is beautiful to me, and so the visceral and violent catharsis, when the man who disrespected that was brutally and easily dispatched by a woman who perfectly stated those ideals... it was incredible.

Yama vs. Robin is my favorite fight in the series. Only Ussop vs. Chuu comes close, for entirely different reasons.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_77z0mqG0

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

gnome7 posted:

I recently reread the entire official translation and was surprised how much better it was than I remember. That fight, for example, didn't feel like it was going to be a Robin fight. It very much felt like Kyros's fight, and Robin was just rushing up there to save Rebecca. I think our experience was tainted by the fact that we discuss every chapter, every week. Every week we'd hype ourselves up saying "Robin's getting a fight! FINALLY!" or "Robin's going to gently caress that guy up." so much that we didn't even consider that this fight was supposed to be the emotional payoff for Kyros and Rebecca.

Robin needs to get a proper fight, though.

Speaking of Rebecca, I actually liked her in this read through! She had grit. Which was weird because I remember thinking she was a crybaby.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Robin cheekily and effortlessly deflected a killing blow from a top-tier Doflamingo operative, she would have fought Diamante if she had to, but it was always Kyros' fight. She had also just escaped from Gladius. She got plenty to do that arc without snapping anyone's spine.

I think people have this preoccupation with everyone getting 1v1 fights every arc or even every so often, like it's a badge of honor. Oda's fights are always amazing whether they're one on one, two on one, or giant melees. One on ones in particular are hard to have too often because a person putting their life on the line needs a better reason than, "this guy needs killin'". In Alabasta, every fight was meaningful and cool because every Strawhat was willing to put their life on the line for Vivi and her country. Each of them had a moment where they almost died against their respective opponent but they never faltered for a moment, not even Usopp who runs from loving everything even now, because they were all fighting for her.

One of the coolest things about Luffy is that he'll fight like that for someone who gives him lunch. Luffy fights with passion in every fight, and his 1v1s are nearly always the highlight of the arc because of it. Robin just didn't really have this motivation to defeat Diamante, but she protected Rebecca because she liked her and Luffy would have wanted it. I thought this was a well-written scene, but a lot of people seem to have beef with it.

Advice fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 7, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I feel the urge to link this character panel time data: http://www.narutoforums.com/threads/character-panel-time.1051621/

I'm kind of horrified that someone would be obsessive enough to create something like this, but there's some interesting stuff here. It's particularly interesting how some characters with a lot of plot importance (like Kong and Vista) don't have many actual on-panel appearances, while some people I had to look up (mostly from Water 7) placed relatively high.

Also, Usopp and Nami are above Zoro. This is partly because Zoro's introduction arc was so much shorter than theirs, partly because they appear in the background reacting to things more, and partly because he spends so much time asleep or unconscious.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 7, 2016

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

lowercase16 posted:

I recently reread the entire official translation and was surprised how much better it was than I remember. That fight, for example, didn't feel like it was going to be a Robin fight. It very much felt like Kyros's fight, and Robin was just rushing up there to save Rebecca. I think our experience was tainted by the fact that we discuss every chapter, every week. Every week we'd hype ourselves up saying "Robin's getting a fight! FINALLY!" or "Robin's going to gently caress that guy up." so much that we didn't even consider that this fight was supposed to be the emotional payoff for Kyros and Rebecca.

Yes, I know that. I know that's where the writing pointed to, but it doesn't make it less disappointing, because

lowercase16 posted:

Robin needs to get a proper fight, though.

On top of that, though, Kyros vs Diamante was an extremely disappointing fight, especially with how weird Diamante's power was. The nature of his ability countered Robin's ability to just grapple for an instant-win, allowed him to fight her back, but didn't counter her enough to stop her from fighting him. It could've been great. This is a shonen fight manga, an excuse for two people with weird cool powers to fight each other can always be manufactured. Franky and Mr. Pink fought over nothing but "Hi I want to go through that door" "I'm not allowed to let people through this door." All it would've taken for Robin to need to step in (probably in a team fight with Rebecca) was for Kyros to lose.

But nah all we got was Kyros hopping over and hitting him really hard with a big sword while telling Rebecca and Robin they're not allowed to fight (Rebecca because she's his baby and Robin because she needs to protect his baby and gently caress off Kyros). And then when that failed, he just got up and did it again, but BETTER THIS TIME and won. Kyros took the most interesting new enemy in the entire arc and beat him in the dumbest, most brute-force way, while Robin was 10 feet away and doing nothing. So yes, I'm pretty bitter about the missed opportunity.

I also know, from a narrative standpoint, that Kyros should've beaten Diamante because he's the old champ returning and Diamante is the new champ defending, and Kyros had his ideals on the line so of course he'd win. But his ideals sucked and he could've eaten a loss. I would've liked that a lot more because at the end of the day, he doesn't matter. Kyros is completely irrelevant in the present day. Even if he died, nothing would've changed about the resolution of Dressrosa, except Rebecca would be sad.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
My favorite thing about the Diamante fight is when he does the death rain attack and Robin saves Rebecca with the giant flower umbrella, it doesn't really work perfectly so she just leans over Rebecca and blocks her with her body. Then plays it totally cool until after the end of the fight when she flops to the ground with a giant bloody wound in her back. Robin apparently taking lessons on No-Selling from Zoro. :zoro:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Silver2195 posted:

I feel the urge to link this character panel time data: http://www.narutoforums.com/threads/character-panel-time.1051621/

I'm kind of horrified that someone would be obsessive enough to create something like this, but there's some interesting stuff here. It's particularly interesting how some characters with a lot of plot importance (like Kong and Vista) don't have many actual on-panel appearances, while some people I had to look up (mostly from Water 7) placed relatively high.

Also, Usopp and Nami are above Zoro. This is partly because Zoro's introduction arc was so much shorter than theirs, partly because they appear in the background reacting to things more, and partly because he spends so much time asleep or unconscious.

haha, christ, you can really tell how much impact dressrosa has on those numbers. also, nami wasnt even in dressrosa and is pretty high up there.

usopp seems like he's way more of a main character for the end of the series than he actually is, so i think that justifies a lot of his screen time. also funny faces.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cuchulain posted:

My favorite thing about the Diamante fight is when he does the death rain attack and Robin saves Rebecca with the giant flower umbrella, it doesn't really work perfectly so she just leans over Rebecca and blocks her with her body. Then plays it totally cool until after the end of the fight when she flops to the ground with a giant bloody wound in her back. Robin apparently taking lessons on No-Selling from Zoro. :zoro:

I thought that it worked perfectly fine but it's always been a thing that Flower Flower transfers all the pain duplicate limbs take to the user, so she was basically being badass as hell by deliberately tanking all those spikes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Last Celebration posted:

I thought that it worked perfectly fine but it's always been a thing that Flower Flower transfers all the pain duplicate limbs take to the user, so she was basically being badass as hell by deliberately tanking all those spikes.

she could just have a regular loving fight like every other person on the crew thats all i want goddamn

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

anime was right posted:

she could just have a regular loving fight like every other person on the crew thats all i want goddamn

I don't even need a complete fight. Just some big move against a bad guy would do. Like Mil Fleur-ing a fist into Pica's big, stupid rock face.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
In reference to the earlier post about post timeskip Blackbeard, we have seen him talking through a den den. That gave us at least an impression of his new beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

I'm holding out hope that she wrecks some poo poo in Wano since it's through the actions of the current despot that knowledge of poneglphys was all but lost. Also there's got to be some sweet history being messed with. While Zoro obviously has a lot of poo poo to do in Samurai land, I'd love it if it's a duet of Zoro and Robin wrecking up the joint.