Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Per Jayson Stark

Writers voted to make all HOF ballots public starting in 2018

About Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

My only issue with Wade is that his contract ends after 2017. I know we've ragged on him a lot, but Soler is under very cheap team control for the next four years and giving him away plus prospects on top feels like yet another steep price for another short lived closer. I get the Cubs don't want to spend big this offseason in prep for the spree they'll have to go on next offseason, but this feels like a lot to pay to kick the can down the road another year. Unless they think they can get Wade into an extension/he's a stopgap for Edwards to get another year under his belt before taking the job himself.

Careful, you get bitched at for prospect hugging round these parts.

WE WON THE loving WORLD SERIES STOP COMPLAINING etc etc etc

there, I think I did it right....

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'd be ok with Davis. But yeah, see if you can extend him for a couple of years before you pull the trigger on a trade.

I'd also be willing to take a chance on Tyson Ross, if only to keep Montgomery in the pen. Not that I don't think Monty wouldn't be good in the rotation.. he would.. it's just that keeping him in the pen makes us stronger overall, as that was obviously our biggest shortcoming last season. Davis and Montgomery on top of Rondon, Strop, Edwards, Z, etc is pretty serviceable.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So it is starting to look like the Royals are entering Blow It Up mode a year early, which kind of sucks but I'm alright with considering it is better to get returns on guys rather than letting them walk and then getting nothing because compensatory picks went away or something.

I'm guessing they'll be actively shopping Cain, Moustakas, Davis, Escobar, and possibly Hosmer at the meetings (and Chris Young and Jason Vargas if anyone...wants them). Plus I'd bet they'll dangle Ian Kennedy (cut salary) and Danny Duffy (get more prospects) and Yordano Ventura (sick of his poo poo).

I would be very disappointed if they trade Wade Davis for Jorge Soler as Wade Davis is really really really good and Jorge Soler appears to kind of suck.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 6, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Your Taint posted:

yeah that's exactly what happened

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/YankeesPR/status/806151362664873988

what took so long

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

tadashi posted:

Thornburg is heading to Boston in what looks like a pretty good deal for a reliever of his caliber, considering 3 more years of team control, especially in this absurd reliever market.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/red-sox-agree-to-trade-with-brewers-relief-pitching-likely-headed-to-boston.html

Assuming Thornberg's elbow holds together (he had PRP done on it in 2014 apparently?) I think that's a great trade for the Red Sox. Shaw's bat was super streaky, and the two minor leaguers have potential, but they're not Devers, Kopech, or Moncada level. Thornberg, Smith, Kimbrel is pretty good.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

I hope the plaque is engraved with the image of Jeets handing over a gift basket

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

tadashi posted:

Thornburg is heading to Boston in what looks like a pretty good deal for a reliever of his caliber, considering 3 more years of team control, especially in this absurd reliever market.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/red-sox-agree-to-trade-with-brewers-relief-pitching-likely-headed-to-boston.html

I forgot that rebuilding means pain :(. I love Thorny B and I will miss him and his beautiful face. I guess I can cheer for him in Boston if I flee there to escape the midwest.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think the Brewers really think highly of Dubon. Probably fear of Thornburg getting injured/short history of success as well.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hand Row posted:

I think the Brewers really think highly of Dubon. Probably fear of Thornburg getting injured/short history of success as well.

I am starting to have some serious Ship of Theseus struggles with this team though, for real. How do all you old-timers deal with this?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I always liked Shaw because guys who come out of nowhere and mash are super fun. Too bad he regressed hard.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
My reliever heart was already hardened from the rise and fall of TURNBOW.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

chilihead posted:

The quote is from a poster on Deadspin, if any of you don't have it bookmarked, you should.

Aw man I got beat by a Deadspin commenter? I have no original thoughts :(

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 6, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SharkTattoos posted:

I had a dream last night that Dexter was surprise staying again but it was just a dream.:smith:

Cubs season ticket prices are up between 20 and 31% depending on section.

http://cubs.brochure-mlb.com/2017/pdfs/plans/daily-prices.pdf

Ricketts and Theo just straight :homebrew:

Wonder how many more years before Ricketts owns all of Wrigleyville and the only currency used in the neighborhood is Cubs Bucks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Your Taint posted:

lol get the gently caress out of here

Write another rant about how you could just throw any reliever in there and have them do as well as Chapman

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dexo posted:

Wonder how many more years before Ricketts owns all of Wrigleyville and the only currency used in the neighborhood is Cubs Bucks.

Wrigleyville is on the fast track to being a literal theme park. You'll need a ticket to get in and, instead of Main Street USA, you'll walk down a West Addison ST which will be filled with homages to the sights and sounds of the good old days (that never existed) in Wrigleyville. There will be rides like the Marmolocoaster and the Mark Grace Beer Goggles Experience, there will be food inspired by famous Cubs figures, like the Harry Caray flaming liver, and there will be games, like Sammy Sosa's corked bat HR Derby.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

for some reason I really want to know Curt Schillings take on this racist nut vendor.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tadashi posted:

Wrigleyville is on the fast track to being a literal theme park. You'll need a ticket to get in and, instead of Main Street USA, you'll walk down a West Addison ST which will be filled with homages to the sights and sounds of the good old days (that never existed) in Wrigleyville. There will be rides like the Marmolocoaster and the Mark Grace Beer Goggles Experience, there will be food inspired by famous Cubs figures, like the Harry Caray flaming liver, and there will be games, like Sammy Sosa's corked bat HR Derby.

Bathroom Trough Slip and slide?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SourKraut posted:

Until Dusty burns them up and they're too exhausted to pitch effectively deep into the post season.

Isn't "Dusty destroys pitcher arms" a thing of the past? If I recall correctly, the average pitches thrown by his SPs had decreased year over year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dexo posted:

Bathroom Trough Slip and slide?

Stacking piss cups without spilling them all over yourself?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

I would totally visit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

SharkTattoos posted:

Cubs season ticket prices are up between 20 and 31% depending on section.

http://cubs.brochure-mlb.com/2017/pdfs/plans/daily-prices.pdf

Ricketts and Theo just straight :homebrew:

I would be beyond pissed if my team jacked up ticket prices by >20% in a single year, World Series or no.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

for some reason I really want to know Curt Schillings take on this racist nut vendor.

Liberal Media something something... attack on his rights something something... reverse racism something something.

Did that fit in 140 characters?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

I would be beyond pissed if my team jacked up ticket prices by >20% in a single year, World Series or no.

sure, except that last season all the tickets were snatched up by vendors and sold on Stubhub for 96% higher than face value.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Eh. Didn't the White Sox do like a 15% price hike after 2005.

It's kinda par for the course.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I am starting to have some serious Ship of Theseus struggles with this team though, for real. How do all you old-timers deal with this?

Probably not super helpful, but you get used to it. There was a time not long after Chipper retired that I realized somebody like Kris Medlen or something was the longest-tenured Brave that was the low point for me and it's gotten a lot easier since then.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dexo posted:

Eh. Didn't the White Sox do like a 15% price hike after 2005.

It's kinda par for the course.

Has anybody shown this to Hal Steinbrenner? Does he know this?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rand alPaul posted:

Phillies Fire White Nationalist Pistachio Vendor is my new favorite offseason headline.

http://deadspin.com/phillies-pistachio-girl-fired-for-being-a-white-natio-1789696359

The sad thing is she'll probably be able to parlay this into some sort of punditry or at least semi-celebrity

e: Jesus, her timeline

https://twitter.com/realEmilyYoucis/status/806168983716163584

:stare:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 6, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

sure, except that last season all the tickets were snatched up by vendors and sold on Stubhub for 96% higher than face value.

And putting up prices prevents this how? If anything it just means the vendors' profit margins will be even bigger.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

And putting up prices prevents this how? If anything it just means the vendors' profit margins will be even bigger.

it doesn't prevent it, it just indicates that Cubs tickets were insanely underpriced due to market demand. would you rather a bunch of vendors have that profit, or the team?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Liberal Media something something... attack on his rights something something... reverse racism something something.

Did that fit in 140 characters?

The nutjob nut job not-haver is a woman and Curt Schilling has a whole radio show now so there is no character limit!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I changed my mind about her parlaying this into some sort of career, she goes too far and too openly for anyone to be comfortable even Brietbart

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I changed my mind about her parlaying this into some sort of career, she goes too far and too openly for anyone to be comfortable even Brietbart

:lol:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

She's about to get appointed to head the Department of the Interior.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hey even Brietbart goes to some lengths to hide their racism, even if it's incredibly flimsy

Popete posted:

She's about to get appointed to head the Department of the Interior.

haha

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Intruder posted:

Intruder posted:

Hey even Brietbart goes to some lengths to hide their racism, even if it's incredibly flimsy

haha

lol

Brietbart literally has a loving category called "Black Crime"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ok fine maybe she can get a job with Brietbart

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

lol get the gently caress out of here

Write another rant about how you could just throw any reliever in there and have them do as well as Chapman

Yeah, because that was exactly what I typed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

tadashi posted:

The Todd Hundley Left Field experience!

• Locked thread